"Sirens" Single + Video

Comments

• Oh every choice, mistake I've made is not my plan to send you in arms of another man. And if you choose to stay, I'll wait, I'll understand. It's a fragile thing, this life we lead.

Want you to know that should I go, I always loved you, held you high above too.

I study your face, the fear goes away

Killer.....come on.....i Mean.....COME ON...

It's the "other side" to Small Town.
    Up here so high I start to shake, Up here so high the sky I scrape, I've no fear but for falling down, So look out below I am falling now, Falling down,...not staying down, Could’ve held me up, rather tear me down, Drown in the river
  • evsgjammevsgjamm Posts: 2,102
    Seems like Mike's solo just jumps in kind of loud and out of place
    ya ya
    kinda like a.....

a siren?

damn that's odd. :lol: messin with ya. but seriously... it's JUST like a siren. sorry to burst your bubble.
    Vancouver '03, Paramount Theatre '05, Saskatoon '05, Calgary '05, Edmonton '05, Saskatoon '11, Calgary '11, Calgary '13

2010 WATCH IT GO TO FIRE!!
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,136
    Love the song :clap::clap::clap: :thumbup:

thanks Mike :wave:
    :clap::clap::clap::clap:
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
    PLEASE MODS...

ALLOWED MORE THAN 20 CLAP SMILES PER POST....

HAD THE SAME ISSUE TODAY!! :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: x 50
    Vancouver '03, Paramount Theatre '05, Saskatoon '05, Calgary '05, Edmonton '05, Saskatoon '11, Calgary '11, Calgary '13

• ComeToTXComeToTX Austin Posts: 7,525
    Two wedding songs on this rekkid already.
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • cmm6734cmm6734 Houston, TX Posts: 569
    The lyrics are so powerful. I love it.

On a side note, I haven't received my download from iTunes yet...
    40+ shows, it is never enough!
  • Oh every choice, mistake I've made is not my plan to send you in arms of another man. And if you choose to stay, I'll wait, I'll understand. It's a fragile thing, this life we lead.

:thumbup: It fragility. Fragility of love, life, growing up and becoming an adult... I guess Sirens symbolize "Death" and "chaos" here...
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    Took me a while to figure out how I feel about this song, but I think I've got it figured out.

This song sounds insanely mainstream, and I find it confusing that PJ would release a song like this. It's like they decided to switch genres completely. I didn't even know that any of them would ever listen to music like this, much less write it themselves.

I think what is kind of saving me from hating this song is EV's voice. It sounds great. If it weren't for that amazing voice, I'm pretty sure I'd think that song sucks. But it is his voice, so the song doesn't suck IMO. But I feel like it's more the 12 year old girl in me - the one that still sings along to "Running Just As Fast As We Can" when it comes on, and then one who thought "Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves" was a glorious movie because of that Brian Adam's single on the soundtrack. The adult Pearl Jam fan in me is confused. The 12 year old girl, though, thinks it's uplifting, and she will probably want to flounce around the room singing it into an invisible microphone at some point. But I'm not going to let her. :|
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Florida Posts: 10,211
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    Took me a while to figure out how I feel about this song, but I think I've got it figured out.

This song sounds insanely mainstream, and I find it confusing that PJ would release a song like this. It's like they decided to switch genres completely. I didn't even know that any of them would ever listen to music like this, much less write it themselves.

I think what is kind of saving me from hating this song is EV's voice. It sounds great. If it weren't for that amazing voice, I'm pretty sure I'd think that song sucks. But it is his voice, so the song doesn't suck IMO. But I feel like it's more the 12 year old girl in me - the one that still sings along to "Running Just As Fast As We Can" when it comes on, and then one who thought "Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves" was a glorious movie because of that Brian Adam's single on the soundtrack. The adult Pearl Jam fan in me is confused. The 12 year old girl, though, thinks it's uplifting, and she will probably want to flounce around the room singing it into an invisible microphone at some point. But I'm not going to let her. :|

:lol::lol::lol:

The reactions to the new songs are cracking me up! Though I havent heard it, I bet my inner 12 year old girl comes out too! :P
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    The 12 year old girl, though, thinks it's uplifting, and she will probably want to flounce around the room singing it into an invisible microphone at some point. But I'm not going to let her. :|

Let.... Her.

on Dec. 4th, your inner girl will shine strong when the spotlight is on Ed during this song, and cry you will; because adults like us get all girly girly when Ed makes our hearts swoon. :lol:

• PJ_Soul wrote:

I'm quite the opposite. While the 17 year old PJ fan in me loved MYM, the 39 year old PJ fan in me appreciates the thoughtfulness and emotion of Sirens. As I listened to it while reading the lyrics, I connected with the song instantly. The trouble with this song is that a few reviewers went online a couple weeks ago and dared to mention Black in the same sentence as Sirens. Alot of people are listening to Sirens with those sorts of expectations.
    edited September 2013
    evsgjamm wrote:
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    The 12 year old girl, though, thinks it's uplifting, and she will probably want to flounce around the room singing it into an invisible microphone at some point. But I'm not going to let her. :|

Let.... Her.

on Dec. 4th, your inner girl will shine strong when the spotlight is on Ed during this song, and cry you will; because adults like us get all girly girly when Ed makes our hearts swoon. :lol:
    But I like the adult PJ fan in me way more. :lol: That's the one that rocks out and has a deep passion for the band and who understands where her real emotions lie when it comes to music. The 12 year old is clueless. ;) But yeah, I might let her. I was just being strict before. :lol:
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • shetellsherselfshetellsherself New Jersey Posts: 8,765
    Oh every choice, mistake I've made is not my plan to send you in arms of another man. And if you choose to stay, I'll wait, I'll understand. It's a fragile thing, this life we lead.

Yeah this was the deal sealer for me. I LOVE it!! I actually feel breathless bc my heart rate is elevated listening to it for the 10th time. I really love it.
    5/3/92 Omaha, NE
    6/19/95 Red Rocks
    9/11/98 MSG
    11/19/12 EV solo Tulsa
    7/19/13 Wrigley 10/19/13 Brooklyn 2 10/21/13 Philly 1 10/22/13 Philly 2 10/25/13 Hartford
    10/08/14 Tulsa 10/09/14 Lincoln
    9/26/15 New York City
    4/16/16 Greenville 4/28/16 Philly 1 4/29/16 Philly 2 5/1/16 MSG 1 5/2/16 MSG 2 8/7/16 Fenway 2 8/20/16 Wrigley 1
    4/7/17 RRHOF New York City
    9/02/18 Fenway 1 9/04/2018 Fenway 2
    9/18/21 Asbury Park
    9/11/22 New York City
    9/14/22 Camden
  • :yawn:
    agreed...sadly. And somebody compared this to Black?!?
  • Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    PJ_Soul wrote:

Agree. Great lyrics wasted IMO. I dont like the music and the production that pieced it all together.
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • shetellsherselfshetellsherself New Jersey Posts: 8,765
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    evsgjamm wrote:
    PJ_Soul wrote:

Let.... Her.

But I like the adult PJ fan in me way more. :lol: That's the one that rocks out and has a deep passion for the band and who understands where her real emotions lie when it comes to music. The 12 year old is clueless. ;) But yeah, I might let her. I was just being strict before. :lol:

I highly recommend unleashing the inner 12 year old girl! :lol: surrender to her...you'll be glad you did and we won't tell anybody! :wink:
    5/3/92 Omaha, NE
    6/19/95 Red Rocks
    9/11/98 MSG
    11/19/12 EV solo Tulsa
    7/19/13 Wrigley 10/19/13 Brooklyn 2 10/21/13 Philly 1 10/22/13 Philly 2 10/25/13 Hartford
    10/08/14 Tulsa 10/09/14 Lincoln
    9/26/15 New York City
    4/16/16 Greenville 4/28/16 Philly 1 4/29/16 Philly 2 5/1/16 MSG 1 5/2/16 MSG 2 8/7/16 Fenway 2 8/20/16 Wrigley 1
    4/7/17 RRHOF New York City
    9/02/18 Fenway 1 9/04/2018 Fenway 2
    9/18/21 Asbury Park
    9/11/22 New York City
    9/14/22 Camden
    :yawn:
    agreed...sadly. And somebody compared this to Black?!?
    Now THAT is completely bizarre! Love the song or hate it, whoever made that particular comparison should be fired from his music critic job.
    PJ_Soul wrote:

ohhhh that's good stuff :lol: G'day to ya

• This Song is Excellent, Can't wait to hear the Sirens Live - AHHHH ohh, Ahhhh ohh!!
    Mississauga, Ontario, Canada
  • pj8pj8 Posts: 408
    Didn't like it at first but after listening to it more I love it. Better than anything off of Backspacer imo (and I like backspacer). This one will be so awesome live!
  • NatashapearljamfanNatashapearljamfan Australia Posts: 3,777
    I love the song. Thank you PJ for another awesome song. Can't wait for BDO 2014. :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap: x 20!!
    pj8 wrote:
    Didn't like it at first but after listening to it more I love it. Better than anything off of Backspacer imo (and I like backspacer). This one will be so awesome live!
    From what I've already heard ( :shifty: ), I already 100% know that this album is better than Backspacer.
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    pj8 wrote:
    From what I've already heard ( :shifty: ), I already 100% know that this album is better than Backspacer.
    And a very good chance of besting Avocado.....
  • PJ_Soul wrote:

Agree. Great lyrics wasted IMO. I dont like the music and the production that pieced it all together.

Agree too. Ed's voice is perfect and the lyrics are good, but I don't like the music.
    Let's say knowledge is a tree, yeah.
    It's growing up just like me.
  • PJ212PJ212 Posts: 811
    edited September 2013
    Love it.

One of my favorite things about being a fan of Pearl Jam for so long is having observed their evolution and their own maturing as human beings. Sometimes this has matched my own process, but back to the band... Lyrically going from Black to Sirens is kind an amazing leap, one that probably does take a lifetime to make. Thinking about that journey even gives a new dimension to the song "Hold On" too (which was a wonderful moment at Wrigley).

Also, just noting --- Mike has two guitars wrapped around him in the video, which is f'n awesome!
    Post edited by PJ212 on
    2000: CLT, Greensboro, 2003: MSG 1 & 2, 2008: MSG 1 & 2, 2009: LA 2 & 3, 2011: Vancouver, 2012: Missoula, 2013: Wrigley, Brooklyn 1 & 2, Voodoo, SD, LA 1 & 2, OAK, PDX, Vancouver, SEA, 2014: Cincy, ACL1, Tulsa, Lincoln, Memphis, Moline, St. Paul, MKE, DEN, Bridge 1 & 2, 2015: GCF, Mexico City, 2016: FLL, MIA, TPA, Greenville, Hampton, Columbia, MSG 1 & 2, Bonnaroo, Telluride, Fenway 1 & 2, Wrigley 1 & 2, 2017: ROHF, 2018: Padova, Rome, Prague, Seattle 1 & 2, Missoula, Wrigley 1
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    pj8 wrote:
    That might be tough from my perspective. I absolutely love Avocado. ;)
  • I got goosebumps hearing it for the first time. Is it more mainstream-ish... for sure, but that's fine with me as long as they feel passionate about what they're writing, and I don't think there's any question there is some passion in this song.

I'm not ready to say "this is better/worse than anything on *insert album.*" Let it breath a bit folks.

I hear every member of the band in this song, it sounds like they all had their hands on it. And Eds voice is heart-stopping.

I love it. It's gonna be stuck in my heard for a good long while and I can't wait to hear it live!

PS - comparisons to Black... maybe they're both painful songs about love lost, AND eventually the whole world will recognize this song too... but that's about all I see.

THANKS PJ!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Red Rocks 6/19/95 * Rapid City 6/24/98 * EV Vegas 11/1/12 * EV Tulsa 11/19/12 * Wrigley Field 7/19/13 * Brooklyn 10/19/13 * Philly 10/21/13 * Philly 10/22/13 * Hartford 10/25/13 * OKC 11/16/13 * Tulsa 10/8/2014 * Lincoln 10/9/2014 * Moline 10/17/2014 * St Paul 10/19/2014 * Greenville 4/16/16 * Philly 4/28/16 * Philly 4/29/16 * MSG 5/1/16 * MSG 5/2/16 * Wrigley 8/20/16 * Seattle 8/8/18 * Seattle 8/10/18 * Wrigley 8/18/18 * Asbury Park 9/18/21
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,136
    PJ212 wrote:

Also, just noting --- Mike has two guitars wrapped around him in the video, which is f'n awesome!
    BY FAR THE BEST PART OF THE VIDEO FOR ME!!!
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • CharliePCharlieP Copenhagen, Denmark Posts: 1,035
    What a wonderful song!

Roskilde 2000, Berlin 2006, Athens 2006, Dusseldorf 2007, Copenhagen 2007, New York NY 1 + 2 2008, Berlin 2009, London 2009, London 2010, Berlin 2010, Manchester 2 2012, Berlin 1 2012, Stockholm 2012, Oslo 2012, Copenhagen 2012, Amsterdam 1 + 2 (EV solo) 2012, Amsterdam 1 + 2 2014, Stockholm 2014, Oslo 2014, Leeds 2014, Milton Keynes 2014, Heartland Festival DK (EV solo) 2017, Berlin 2018, Barcelona 2018, Copenhagen 2022, Prague 2022 (Cancelled)

PJ_Soul wrote:
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    That might be tough from my perspective. I absolutely love Avocado. ;)
    Then get your damn sound system together so you can finally listen to it!!!!!!!! :x