Options

New Lottery System

Comments

• Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    To suggest that the old f5 system was anything but a failure is a complete denial.

Lottery may not be ideal, but the endless crashing that went on with the f5 system was a complete failure.
    I had good luck under the old system but am dealing with the new system. Adapt and overcome. The 10c has always made changes to the system, this is nothing new. Fact is, if you pick smart, lottery is a heck of lot easier.
  • Options
    MG79478 wrote:
    How many times do we have to go over this? There is no proof that the lottery has gotten tickets in the hands of more fans, and in fact the lottery is more ripe for fraud than F5 due to the ease of entry.

- The lottery has caused:
    - More people to enter for shows they wouldn't have under F5 (hail mary for a popular show in the other leg)
    - More people to sign up for multiple memberships
    - More people who win tickets to trade their extra with other winners
    - More people to scalp tickets

How do you figure the lottery has caused all this? You have a point on the first one, but even if people signed up for several shows, the chances of winning decrease significantly with a lower priority number. The tickets are assigned to people who have that particular show as their number 1 priority, and if there are any tickets left after that, they are assigned to the number 2's etc etc. Even if you signed up for 10 shows, the chances of winning tickets to your # 10 priority are pretty slim.

Regarding the multiple memberships: according to the Ten Club FAQ, multiple memberships are not allowed, and since you are required to pick up your tickets with a photo ID, how would you be able to pick up more than two tickets when the Ten Club clearly states that this is not allowed?

- More people who win tickets to trade their extra with other winners How is this a bad thing? If you have an extra and you can help another Tenclubber out, what's not to love?

More people to scalp tickets Scalp tickets how? You can only get tickets with a photo ID on the day of the show. Furthermore, the Ten Club does not allow reselling of tickets above face value. If people are ever caught reselling tickets, they will be banned.

Also, compared to the old system, I don't think there is a difference in the number of fans who are able to get their hands on tickets. If they had a 100,000 tickets with the old system, and 100,000 with the lottery, at the end of the day that's still 100,000 fans with tickets...

Personally, I have never been able to get tickets through the old system. I have spent entire nights hitting F5 to no avail. With the new system, I put in my name and crossed my fingers, and was lucky enough to score tickets to two shows. I am all for the new system :)

*** Take my hand, not my picture ***

Paris '96
    Pinkpop '00
    Arnhem '06
    Nijmegen '07
    Pittsburgh '13
    Buffalo '13
    Worcester I '13
    Worcester II '13
    Seattle '13
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,151
    I have been a faithful club member since 2006. Actually was one since 1998 but let me membership slip and re-upped in 2006, anyways, I tried getting 10c tix all these years and never got them til this year (GA Worcester 2) I have seen and experience the old and current system and I believe in my opinion that the new system is fairest. Thank you 10c. :D
    fuck yeah!!!!thats im talking about baby!!!! :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

10c!!!now double the salary to the guy thought the new system..dont waste any minute!!he worth millions!!
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    How do you figure the lottery has caused all this? You have a point on the first one, but even if people signed up for several shows, the chances of winning decrease significantly with a lower priority number. The tickets are assigned to people who have that particular show as their number 1 priority, and if there are any tickets left after that, they are assigned to the number 2's etc etc. Even if you signed up for 10 shows, the chances of winning tickets to your # 10 priority are pretty slim.

Regarding the multiple memberships: according to the Ten Club FAQ, multiple memberships are not allowed, and since you are required to pick up your tickets with a photo ID, how would you be able to pick up more than two tickets when the Ten Club clearly states that this is not allowed?

- More people who win tickets to trade their extra with other winners How is this a bad thing? If you have an extra and you can help another Tenclubber out, what's not to love?

More people to scalp tickets Scalp tickets how? You can only get tickets with a photo ID on the day of the show. Furthermore, the Ten Club does not allow reselling of tickets above face value. If people are ever caught reselling tickets, they will be banned.

Also, compared to the old system, I don't think there is a difference in the number of fans who are able to get their hands on tickets. If they had a 100,000 tickets with the old system, and 100,000 with the lottery, at the end of the day that's still 100,000 fans with tickets...

Personally, I have never been able to get tickets through the old system. I have spent entire nights hitting F5 to no avail. With the new system, I put in my name and crossed my fingers, and was lucky enough to score tickets to two shows. I am all for the new system :)

i love Beegirl1980!!!!

another fuck yeah !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Thats it!!!whoooohooo!!!!!

VIVA MEXICO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    MG79478MG79478 Posts: 1,628
    I never said my job prohibits me from taking vacation time to get tickets, I said I refused to take vacation time after going through 3 sales in 2011 in which the servers crashed and the sales got postponed. (I feel like if you had read it in its entirety you would have got that, apologies if it was unclear)

I was trying to make this point... YOU had refused to take the vacation, it was your choice, because you had other priorities in life to use that vacation for.

BF89905 also just brought up a great point.
    We shouldn't have to put in effort or time to get these tickets. As dues paying members we are guaranteed a chance to buy tickets. The lottery does just that. It guarantees me a chance.

You were guaranteed a chance in the F5 system, with better odds! Why shouldn't people have to put in effort to get what they want? Kids study hard in high school to get accepted to a good college, if college admission was left to a lottery, what would happen? Lotteries in all forms are de-motivating. What you lose is the ability to say, "I'm going to get the best tickets, and no one is going to stop me." Just like with venue entry, if you want to be first in line and front fow center for a GA show, YOU can decide to put out more effort than anyone else and achieve that. A lottery for venue entry would ruin that. Many people were perfect or near perfect with F5 because they simply refused to stop refreshing until they got tickets.
    Good luck getting tickets to the shows you want to go to man, if the day of the show rolls around, and you're still empty-handed stay on Ticketmaster all day (if they handled the original sale)
    It's not uncommon for them to release tickets on the day of the show, even for high-demand shows like these.

Peace.

I have tickets to every show I want to go to... thank god that tickemaster, tickets.com, and comcasttix don't run a lottery!
  • Options
    Merkin Baller

what a great post!!!!!
    i wish i could write so good English like you!!!

RESPECT!!!

Now it is clear why your posts are so short and devoid of useful content... you just want to raise your post count!
    Get_Right wrote:
    To suggest that the old f5 system was anything but a failure is a complete denial.

Lottery may not be ideal, but the endless crashing that went on with the f5 system was a complete failure.
    I had good luck under the old system but am dealing with the new system. Adapt and overcome. The 10c has always made changes to the system, this is nothing new. Fact is, if you pick smart, lottery is a heck of lot easier.

The F5 system worked fine hundreds of times, and put the tickets in to the hands of those who wanted them the most. Having 3 rough sales is hardly "endless crashing". I spent more time refreshing my lottery page than nearly all F5 sales.

Of course the lottery is easier... easy ruins our odds.
  • Options
    after all those years!!!!!

members scored tix for the first time!!!!

EPIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you 10c..!!

NAILED IT!!!

+ 1 post for me..|!!!whooohoooo bitches!!
  • Options

If you have your wife, sign up, you doubled your odds. Get your best friend to sign up, you tripled your odds. So on and so forth. Chances are most will get their first or second choice,and the cost of a membership is not that much. Not to mention you can have a fake ID, and the people workign the booths will be none the wiser... they have no way of knowing a fake.

As for trading tickets, the point you are missing is that those who have tickets (won via lottery) trade them to others who have tickest (won via lottery). Those who lost have nothing to trade. The rich get richer. If people really wanted to help, and really wanted to get tickets in to the hands of more fans, they wouldn't trade them for other tickets, they would sell them at face value to fans who got shut out.

Obviously if they have 100,000 tickets, the method of distribution will not change the number given out. The question is WHO are they distributed to? Because the lottery has loopholes and is easy to enter, they are going to people with multiple membership, and scalpers. It certainly doesn't help more different people get tickets as some claim.
  • Options
    New-Sheriff-In-Town.jpg

• Options

EPIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you 10c..!!

NAILED IT!!!

Why stop at one post? You could easily make a couple more worthless posts. Just repeat the same crap you always do, and add a bunch of exclamation points. You'll be writing a setlist for the band in no time if you keep the posting up!
  • Options
    MG79478 wrote:

EPIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you 10c..!!

NAILED IT!!!

Why stop at one post? You could easily make a couple more worthless posts. Just repeat the same crap you always do, and add a bunch of exclamation points. You'll be writing a setlist for the band in no time if you keep the posting up!
    i can post all night and day..24/7...

effort you wanted???

you will get it!!!!!!!

i just took days off work for the rest of the year to remind every single minute that there is a new sherriff in town..

and wait for it...

• Options
    MG79478 wrote:
    If you have your wife, sign up, you doubled your odds. Get your best friend to sign up, you tripled your odds. So on and so forth. Chances are most will get their first or second choice,and the cost of a membership is not that much. Not to mention you can have a fake ID, and the people workign the booths will be none the wiser... they have no way of knowing a fake.

As for trading tickets, the point you are missing is that those who have tickets (won via lottery) trade them to others who have tickest (won via lottery). Those who lost have nothing to trade. The rich get richer. If people really wanted to help, and really wanted to get tickets in to the hands of more fans, they wouldn't trade them for other tickets, they would sell them at face value to fans who got shut out.

Obviously if they have 100,000 tickets, the method of distribution will not change the number given out. The question is WHO are they distributed to? Because the lottery has loopholes and is easy to enter, they are going to people with multiple membership, and scalpers. It certainly doesn't help more different people get tickets as some claim.

You could have had your spouse and friends sign up with the old system as well, the only thing is if they are not huge fans like you, they would not have spent hours hitting F5. I don't think this is a valid point against the lottery system. Everyone who enters has a fair shot, and the reason people sign up is their business. You can't shut someone out just because they're someone friend or spouse and are "less" of a fan than someone else. The lottery is not a contest for who is the biggest fan or who is willing to spend the most time on their computer, it was designed to make things easier and I think it worked.

Also, there are many posts on this forum from people who are offering to sell their extra tickets at face value, even people who have purchased tickets on Ticketmaster and are reselling them here at face value to keep them out of the hands of scalpers.

And as for your last point, I don't think any system should "decide" who should get the tickets. Since a photo ID is required and there is a limit to two tickets per member, I think this system is better at keeping tickets OUT of the hands of scalpers compared to Ticketmaster.

*** Take my hand, not my picture ***

Paris '96
    Pinkpop '00
    Arnhem '06
    Nijmegen '07
    Pittsburgh '13
    Buffalo '13
    Worcester I '13
    Worcester II '13
    Seattle '13
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,611
    I dont mind the theory of the lottery as opposed to F5.

I just see some giant holes in the current system as is, MG touches on it and I explained it many pages back.

Especially with GA in play now there are more ways to manipulate this system than F5

Lottery is fine. They just need to stay a step in front of the fans and close the loopholes before the next US tour.
  • Options
    eddieceddiec Posts: 3,835
    MG79478 wrote:

The F5 system worked fine hundreds of times, and put the tickets in to the hands of those who wanted them the most. Having 3 rough sales is hardly "endless crashing". I spent more time refreshing my lottery page than nearly all F5 sales.

Do you not remember this forum back in 2010/11? People were going crazy with the server problem. People had tickets in their cart and as they were about to pay they were gone. To say that the people who wanted tickets the most got them is absolutely absurd. Loads of people who took off from work, rescheduled appointments, etc, were left without tickets. Just because you managed does not mean everyone did.
  • Options
    mookieblalockmookieblalock Posts: 3,177

You could have had your spouse and friends sign up with the old system as well, the only thing is if they are not huge fans like you, they would not have spent hours hitting F5. I don't think this is a valid point against the lottery system.

This actually supports his argument. Those people who were just signed up wouldn't have cared enough to sit there all day, making more tickets available for purchase.
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,878
    MayDay10 wrote:

Lottery is fine. They just need to stay a step in front of the fans and close the loopholes before the next US tour.

Agreed. No doubt there are improvements that can be made.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    Here's the funny thing - I actually support the F5 system, but a few of you guys are making me like the lottery with your specious arguments.

Really? There are thousands of people that added memberships just for tickets this time? Yes, I'm sure there are some. No doubt. And just like you "worked" to make F5 better for you, you could do the same thing with the lottery - fight perceived fire with fire - add your own memberships. Hey, if you've made it to the top of whatever it is you do, you could probably buy far more memberships than most of us. So, you could really corner the market on tickets. And all your truly hard work would be used to your advantage.

As others have said - you can only pick up your own tickets. So, my father adding a membership, so I can get tickets to Seattle (we live in NY) doesn't really work. I guess I could pay for a trip for him (and my mom, I suppose) to Seattle, so he could go to the venue, get the tickets, so I could go (he's cool, but he is 78, so while he enjoys the Benaroya CD I got him, he won't be attending any GA concerts with me), but that added expense would seem to defeat the purpose. Stub hub would seem to be cheaper (GA specifics aside). (I doubt I would even be willing to have him trek down to Brooklyn for a nice steak dinner to pick up relatively local tickets).

So, I guess I could add numerous addresses to circumvent the 1 person 1 membership thing. Fairly easy - I could use my parents' address. But, I better hope I don't get tix to the same show. How will I pick up my separate pairs? I guess I could go back and forth hours apart, so the tix distributor hopefully doesn't recognize me. Or, better still - what ID will I use since I have nothing that shows my name and my parents' address on it?

I could go on, but obviously your paranoid schemes you think others are using are not so simple. If someone does find a way, it's going to be far more industrious than what you and I had to do to excel at the F5 system. Therefore, they deserve the tix. They would have earned it.

You will never eliminate all the crap. But, your arguments fall well short.

(BTW, as for your trading comments - so, F5 you're not concerned with spreading the wealth, but with the lottery you are?)
    Sorry. The world doesn't work the way you tell it to.
  • Options
    Here's the funny thing - I actually support the F5 system, but a few of you guys are making me like the lottery with your specious arguments.

Really? There are thousands of people that added memberships just for tickets this time? Yes, I'm sure there are some. No doubt. And just like you "worked" to make F5 better for you, you could do the same thing with the lottery - fight perceived fire with fire - add your own memberships. Hey, if you've made it to the top of whatever it is you do, you could probably buy far more memberships than most of us. So, you could really corner the market on tickets. And all your truly hard work would be used to your advantage.

As others have said - you can only pick up your own tickets. So, my father adding a membership, so I can get tickets to Seattle (we live in NY) doesn't really work. I guess I could pay for a trip for him (and my mom, I suppose) to Seattle, so he could go to the venue, get the tickets, so I could go (he's cool, but he is 78, so while he enjoys the Benaroya CD I got him, he won't be attending any GA concerts with me), but that added expense would seem to defeat the purpose. Stub hub would seem to be cheaper (GA specifics aside). (I doubt I would even be willing to have him trek down to Brooklyn for a nice steak dinner to pick up relatively local tickets).

So, I guess I could add numerous addresses to circumvent the 1 person 1 membership thing. Fairly easy - I could use my parents' address. But, I better hope I don't get tix to the same show. How will I pick up my separate pairs? I guess I could go back and forth hours apart, so the tix distributor hopefully doesn't recognize me. Or, better still - what ID will I use since I have nothing that shows my name and my parents' address on it?

I could go on, but obviously your paranoid schemes you think others are using are not so simple. If someone does find a way, it's going to be far more industrious than what you and I had to do to excel at the F5 system. Therefore, they deserve the tix. They would have earned it.

(BTW, as for your trading comments - so, F5 you're not concerned with spreading the wealth, but with the lottery you are?)
    hahahah..awesome post..the same time your post is an answer not only as you did about scoring tickets but for scalpers and flipping as well,..its so easy to win the system with ticketmaster when u know the tricks,and get 50 tix,the best available,than do all this trouble,pay memebrship,in case they do a tour.and close to you,so you can go to pick up the tickets,,in case you win the lottery and you have ,the buyer to meet you in person,,know your name,your face,your number etc,just for 2 tickets.while you can sell your 50 tix you got from tickemaster online..and make huge cash..when u are a scalper,you dont go for 2 tickets profit,and need to pick them your self and all this things..you go for alot of money and do it as easy as possible..
    + you cant list the tickets for sale as fan club tickets out there....the first member sees it,will report it.
    +there is no tweet as before..they anounce the tour and you had to be memebr already..you couldnt the same day of the announce the tour to buy 10 memebrships..you couldnt enter the lottery..you had to be a memebr before the announcements..
    and they tour like what?once in 2-3 years in your area"???not alot of profit there..

now..you want to make profit?as flippers does?..merch is the heaven....
    cos you can have 10 memberships and buy all the high demand products they sale here,all shipped at adress you like and end of the story.pay with one cc ...
    and sell them in the next min,online 4-5 times up...
    but thats another conversation..
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,538
    edited August 2013
    MG79478 wrote:

EPIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you 10c..!!

NAILED IT!!!

effort you wanted???

you will get it!!!!!!!

i just took days off work for the rest of the year to remind every single minute that there is a new sherriff in town..

and wait for it...

AblazingsaddlesBart_zps1a2c81cc.jpg
  • Options
    shortstackshortstack Posts: 2,339
    MG79478 wrote:
    Merkin Baller

what a great post!!!!!
    i wish i could write so good English like you!!!

RESPECT!!!

Now it is clear why your posts are so short and devoid of useful content... you just want to raise your post count!

ya think?
    did you see me? i saw you.
  • Options
    I have a few points to add to this discussion.

First, multiple memberships are most definitely an advantage under the new lottery system. Under the F5 system you could attempt to get tickets to as many shows as you wanted. Your odds were determined by a combination of the demand for the show, your proficiency with the system, and your internet connection. But, unless you wanted more than two tickets to a specific show there was no need for another membership since this didn't appreciably increase your chances of winning.

With the lottery, that's just not true. Multiple memberships are a significant benefit. And I'm not talking anything against the rules (using multiple addresses, fake ID's, etc). It's a simple as signing up your +1. This could be your friend, spouse, or family member. Most of us will be going to the show with someone else we know. If that person is going to be at the event then they can easily pick up the tickets.

In the F5 system your friend wouldn't need to be in the club. He could rely on you to get all the tickets. But, with the lottery both you and he would have equal chance to get tickets. So, for $20 you could double the chances of getting a single show OR more than double your chance of getting multiple shows. Sure, you may risk getting multiple pairs to a single show but with the high demand these should be relatively easy to get rid of.

Unrestricted GA access just makes this worse. Want to try for GA and not risk not getting tickets to a specific show? Just have your ticket partner add a membership right before the lottery is announced. Have him choose GA as #1 priority and choose reserved for your #1 priority. You have a very good chance to get at least one pair.

All of this reminds me of the old days when the club offered only one pair of tickets to one show. I went to all the Pearl Jam shows with two of my friends and we all put in for different shows and shared the tickets so that we'd be able to go to more than one show. Again, all within the rules.
    Boston (4/10/94), Hartford (10/2/96), Barre (8/22/98), Hartford (9/13/98), Mansfield (9/15/98 + 9/16/98), Mansfield (8/29/00 + 8/30/00), Mansfield (7/2/03 + 7/11/03), Boston (9/28/04), Hartford (5/13/06), Boston (5/24/06 + 5/25/06), Hartford (6/27/08), Mansfield (6/28/08 + 6/30/08), Philadelphia (10/31/09), Hartford (5/15/10), Worcester (10/15/13 + 10/16/13), Hartford (10/25/13), New York (5/1/16), Boston (8/5/16 + 8/7/16), Boston (9/2/18 + 9/4/18)
  • Options
    rival.rival. Chicago Posts: 7,776
    20080202231407!Beating-a-dead-horse.gif
  • Options
    eddieceddiec Posts: 3,835

First, multiple memberships are most definitely an advantage under the new lottery system. Under the F5 system you could attempt to get tickets to as many shows as you wanted. Your odds were determined by a combination of the demand for the show, your proficiency with the system, and your internet connection. But, unless you wanted more than two tickets to a specific show there was no need for another membership since this didn't appreciably increase your chances of winning.

With the lottery, that's just not true. Multiple memberships are a significant benefit. And I'm not talking anything against the rules (using multiple addresses, fake ID's, etc). It's a simple as signing up your +1. This could be your friend, spouse, or family member. Most of us will be going to the show with someone else we know. If that person is going to be at the event then they can easily pick up the tickets.

In the F5 system your friend wouldn't need to be in the club. He could rely on you to get all the tickets. But, with the lottery both you and he would have equal chance to get tickets. So, for $20 you could double the chances of getting a single show OR more than double your chance of getting multiple shows. Sure, you may risk getting multiple pairs to a single show but with the high demand these should be relatively easy to get rid of.

Unrestricted GA access just makes this worse. Want to try for GA and not risk not getting tickets to a specific show? Just have your ticket partner add a membership right before the lottery is announced. Have him choose GA as #1 priority and choose reserved for your #1 priority. You have a very good chance to get at least one pair.

All of this reminds me of the old days when the club offered only one pair of tickets to one show. I went to all the Pearl Jam shows with two of my friends and we all put in for different shows and shared the tickets so that we'd be able to go to more than one show. Again, all within the rules.

But again, the person you use for the additional membership would have to travel to the show. For example, if I had signed up my wife and she won tickets for the upcoming tour I'm screwed because she isn't flying over to NY just to pick up a set of tickets for me.
  • Options

so...you sign 5 dif memberships..lottery..won all..5 different people..5 different cities..you-mother-dad-granma-sister..you will drive anyone to all those places,to pick up the tickets??
    dad to hartford,mom to buffalo,grand ma to spokane,sister to pitsburg, you to ny shows??

what if u loose all??

just lost 100 per year...at memberships..and what if they dont tour at usa for the next 2-3 years?
    you spent 300 for no shows..
    sure..can happen..
  • Options
    rival. wrote:
    20080202231407!Beating-a-dead-horse.gif
    what???NO WAY

more post count for me!!

they think i post for the number??

ill prove them right!!!!\\whoohoo!!!!!1
  • Options
    shortstackshortstack Posts: 2,339
    i wish they'd just stop selling all merch so they'd have to tour more to pay the bills.
    did you see me? i saw you.
  • Options

I can and will take learn all advantages and loopholes of the lottery and exploit them. I did that with F5, I'll always find a way... but it's not about me. I can afford tickets at any price, not everyone can. It's about getting the tickets in to the hands of the person who wants them the most, not just who got lucky in a lottery.

You ignored the point already mentioned... Fake IDs. How would a low wage ticket window operater tell if you had a fake ID? Secondly, even without fake IDs, you sign your dad up for the local show. You sign your wife up for a show she will travel with you for, you sign your friend up to trave to another show, you sign up for another show. You just got 4 first choices. It's really really really simple if you have an open mind.

effort you wanted???

you will get it!!!!!!!

and wait for it...

I didn't expect you had a job, or contributed anything useful to society.
  • Options
    jamburgerjamburger Posts: 1,775
    MG79478 wrote:
    I didn't expect you had a job, or contributed anything useful to society.

Condescending post is condescending.
  • Options
    I'll go with the flow with the new lottery system with it's inherent flaws.
    Would just love for them to mix it up every tour and play some 10c only, seniority seating gigs!
  • Options
    Whipping_BoyWhipping_Boy Plantation, FL Posts: 136
    MG79478 wrote:

You are the first person I have ever heard of who could not get any tix thru the old system. You must be talking about recent experiences within the past 2-3 years. In comparison, I have been in the club since 96 and never had the experience of not getting tix thru the old system. I was a pefect 100% or 20 for 20. With the new system I put in for 8 shows and only got one. My success rate went from 100% to 13%. And I am not alone with this experience.

The only times I have ever seen people complain about the old system was for a very few high demand shows - a couple at MSG and PJ20. And both of these problems were the result of recent changes to the ticket process. Other than those handful of shows there wasn't a peep about the system being a problem. Everyone got the tix they wanted. Now, we have reports of many long time members being shut out of multiple shows and many more examples of people being totally shut-out for every show they requested.

This is a monumental step backwards.
This discussion has been closed.