PJ:
    2003 Mansfield: July 2
    2004 Boston: Sept 28 & 29
    2005 Montreal: Sept 15
    2006 Boston: May 24 & 25
    2008 Hartford: June 27, Mansfield: June 28,
    2010 Boston: May 17
    2013 Worcester: Oct 15, Hartford: Oct 25,
    2016 Hampton: April 18, Raleigh: April 20 (cancelled), Columbia: April 21. Quebec: May 5. Boston (Fenway): August 7

EV Solo: Boston 8/2/08, Boston 6/16/11
  • ZodZod Posts: 9,945
    I completely agree that having all those lit up displays facing your direction is annoying and distracting.

That being said I don't think they can do anything about it. It was different back when people tried to sneak in disposable cameras (or a real camera). They could confiscate it and you were out maybe $10 bux or rip out the film and you were out $3 or $4.

Smartphones really caught one. I think the majority of people under 40 have one? They're worth hundreds of dollars and its a device that everyone keeps on their person most of the time. They can't really ask people to toss them into a bin or something.... people would shit a brick :)

As much as it sucks I don't think Arena sized venues can do much to combat it.
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,474
    jervin007 wrote:
    I don't see the point in videotaping, but don't mind a few pics being taken
    It's great to be able to watch the shows on youtube. I watch/listen to PJ concert vids all the time. I think that people bother to film is fantastic as long as I don't have to do it. I see much less point in taking photos unless they're of your friends enjoying the show. Photos of concerts are NEVER anywhere near as cool looking as it looked in person.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    Zod wrote:
    I completely agree that having all those lit up displays facing your direction is annoying and distracting.

That being said I don't think they can do anything about it. It was different back when people tried to sneak in disposable cameras (or a real camera). They could confiscate it and you were out maybe $10 bux or rip out the film and you were out $3 or $4.

Smartphones really caught one. I think the majority of people under 40 have one? They're worth hundreds of dollars and its a device that everyone keeps on their person most of the time. They can't really ask people to toss them into a bin or something.... people would shit a brick :)

As much as it sucks I don't think Arena sized venues can do much to combat it.
    I think performers just need to get over it. I don't understand why it bothers people so much, really. It's not like it makes a dark room bright or anything. There are laser and flashing lights and giant screens and screaming people and all kinds of shit going on, so how can some teensy little lights scattered in the crowd be bothersome? It's like being bothered by a mosquito during a locust plague.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • guacamolejoeguacamolejoe Posts: 2,396
    Yeah, but if they did that then we would have no video or pictures of that fat ugly guy who puked all over the place in boston :lol: .

Hahahahah, the last time I was using my smartphone, there was this guy with this strange hat in front of me :o

:shifty: Must have been taken before the band came on to play.
    I also carry a baseball cap to switch when the music starts :angel: . Unless the asshole behind me at a GA show gets too close, then the hat gets put back on to keep them further away :twisted: .
    So, What you Giving ?........ (Thanks Speedy, Alesek, & Arq+friends)
    What You Giving

I suggest you step out on your Porch.
    Run away my son. See it all. Oh, See the World!
  • fortyshadesfortyshades Posts: 1,834
    Yeah, but if they did that then we would have no video or pictures of that fat ugly guy who puked all over the place in boston :lol: .

Hahahahah, the last time I was using my smartphone, there was this guy with this strange hat in front of me :o

I also carry a baseball cap to switch when the music starts :angel: . Unless the asshole behind me at a GA show gets too close, then the hat gets put back on to keep them further away :twisted: .

Then I must be such an asshole ;)

Nah, just kidding. I don't even have a smartphone and I saw you in Berlin, in the corner, standing with your hat on. We even spoke, but hell, that was long ago. Way too long ago. Need a European tour, soon! ;)

Then I must be such an asshole ;)

Nah, just kidding. I don't even have a smartphone and I saw you in Berlin, in the corner, standing with your hat on. We even spoke, but hell, that was long ago. Way too long ago. Need a European tour, soon! ;)

Tony, there was nothing behind me but the barricade to the seats above me. Nobody's view was obstructed :angel: .
    And the colors are BEAUTIFUL 8-) .................... :lol:
    What You Giving

• JB128716JB128716 Posts: 2,064
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    I think performers just need to get over it. I don't understand why it bothers people so much, really. It's not like it makes a dark room bright or anything. There are laser and flashing lights and giant screens and screaming people and all kinds of shit going on, so how can some teensy little lights scattered in the crowd be bothersome? It's like being bothered by a mosquito during a locust plague.

This was not the case with Ed's solo shows. People's flashes and cameras really lit up the room and was a big distraction. Not as big as the security running through the isles to yell at the people with phones, but it was a distraction.

And this would be annoying to me:

20130114-cellphone-595-1358196043.jpg
    92 - Orlando
    03 - Tampa
    08 - Tampa
    12 - DeLuna Fest, EV Orlando 1 & 2, EV Ft Lauderdale 1 & 2
    13 - Wrigley!!! ,Brooklyn 1 & 2, Hartford, OKC, Seattle
    14 - Leeds, Milton Keynes, St Louis
    16 - Ft Lauderdale, Miami, Tampa, Jacksonville, Wrigley 1 & 2
  • jervin007jervin007 Posts: 3,181
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    jervin007 wrote:
    I don't see the point in videotaping, but don't mind a few pics being taken
    It's great to be able to watch the shows on youtube. I watch/listen to PJ concert vids all the time. I think that people bother to film is fantastic as long as I don't have to do it. I see much less point in taking photos unless they're of your friends enjoying the show. Photos of concerts are NEVER anywhere near as cool looking as it looked in person.

I guess my point is that if someone takes their phone out and snaps a few picks I don't care. Even if they come out like shit. It's more annoying to have someone stand in front of you videotaping frequently throughout a show. Especially if it obstructs your view. That being said, I am guilty of trying it a few years back, but found myself regretting watching great songs through lens of a camera. To each their own though
    PJ:
    2003 Mansfield: July 2
    2004 Boston: Sept 28 & 29
    2005 Montreal: Sept 15
    2006 Boston: May 24 & 25
    2008 Hartford: June 27, Mansfield: June 28,
    2010 Boston: May 17
    2013 Worcester: Oct 15, Hartford: Oct 25,
    2016 Hampton: April 18, Raleigh: April 20 (cancelled), Columbia: April 21. Quebec: May 5. Boston (Fenway): August 7

EV Solo: Boston 8/2/08, Boston 6/16/11
  • demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,335
    JB128716 wrote:

GA ROCKS!!!! :thumbup: :lol:
    JB128716 wrote:
    PJ_Soul wrote:

This was not the case with Ed's solo shows. People's flashes and cameras really lit up the room and was a big distraction. Not as big as the security running through the isles to yell at the people with phones, but it was a distraction.

Whole other story for an intimate show like an EV solo. I'm talking arena shows. :) It's super rude for a solo performance without rock concert lighting and volume, etc. And they do ban it at EV shows. Doesn't he or someone say something to those who take photos at his shows? It's a no-photo event. PJ shows aren't (nor should any big rock concert be).
    And to be fair, it is never ever like that photo you posted. I've never seen anything like that anywhere. I'd say that less that 25% of crowds are big into filming and taking photos at concerts.
  • helplessdancerhelplessdancer Posts: 5,262
    iloveyoutube. i keep RE-living this clip over and over and over
    THANKS to the selfless person who watched the song through a 3" screen to upload this for ME/US
    it is the best version ever. goosebumps every single time

PEARL JAM *WASTED REPRISE into BETTERMAN into SAVE IT FOR LATER* Buffalo 5/10/2010 HD
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtsnO3aEi3g
  • CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,219
    edited July 2013
    I can't wait til everyone brings an iPad to the gigs.
    th?id=H.4618740182942610&pid=15.1
    Post edited by Cosmo on
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • dustinparduedustinpardue Las Vegas, NV Posts: 1,829
    JimmyV wrote:
    Phones were banned at Eddie's two shows in Clearwater and to be honest it took away from both evenings. I don't mind the phones and am able to tune them out pretty effectively. I was not able to tune out ushers and security guards swooping in repeatedly to threaten people who had their phones out. It really went overboard in my opinion.

Plus...I love shitty youtube videos. :D
    I agree. Let people do what they want to do. Phones are definitely less annoying than the phone police
    "All I Ever Knew" available now in print and digital formats at Amazon, Barnes & Noble, and iBooks.
    JimmyV wrote:
    Phones were banned at Eddie's two shows in Clearwater and to be honest it took away from both evenings. I don't mind the phones and am able to tune them out pretty effectively. I was not able to tune out ushers and security guards swooping in repeatedly to threaten people who had their phones out. It really went overboard in my opinion.

Plus...I love shitty youtube videos. :D
    I agree. Let people do what they want to do. Phones are definitely less annoying than the phone police
    +1
  • backseatLover12backseatLover12 Posts: 2,312
    THANKS to the selfless person who watched the song through a 3" screen to upload this for ME/US

PEARL JAM *WASTED REPRISE into BETTERMAN into SAVE IT FOR LATER* Buffalo 5/10/2010 HD

LAME is the person who wasted a real concert experience to film it. :roll:
  • CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,219
    Imagine being in this pit, holding up your iPhone.
    I miss the olden days.
    crazy-mosh-pit-charge-smash-concert-13667370974.gif
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,810
    Cosmo wrote:
    Imagine being in this pit, holding up your iPhone.
    I miss the olden days.
    crazy-mosh-pit-charge-smash-concert-13667370974.gif

That looks like something out of the zombie apocalypse.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • RS151862RS151862 Pittsburgh, PA Posts: 2,622

Hypocritical is the person who writes this statement directly above that Nietzsche quote in his signature.
    Pittsburgh 1998 • Pittsburgh 2006 • 2012 Isle Of Wight Festival • 2012 Made In America Festival • Baltimore 2013 • Seattle 2013
    St. Paul 2014 • Mexico City 2015 • Philadelphia II 2016 • Ottawa 2016 • Amsterdam I & II 2018 • Wrigley Field II 2018 • Phoenix 2022
    Apollo Theater 2022 • Chicago I 2023

• LiteTheMatchLiteTheMatch Posts: 1,174
    I hope they ban talking during the music too
    A child's rhyme stuck in my head...
    It said "Life is nothing but a dream."
    I've spent so many years in question
    To find I'd known this all along.
    RS151862 wrote:

Hypocritical is the person who writes this statement directly above that Nietzsche quote in his signature.

:ugeek:

Good one :clap:
    What You Giving

• backseatLover12backseatLover12 Posts: 2,312
    edited July 2013
    RS151862 wrote:

Touché. :lol:

However, I still think you're lame if you do this. No one is as perfect as they say, even Nietzche.
    Post edited by backseatLover12 on
  • DH62179DH62179 Posts: 312
    I hope they ban talking during the music too

And singing! I didn't pay $150 to listen to you sing instead of Ed. Cleveland '09 was my last show forever and I'm fine with that. After watching Black through some idiot's phone for 8 minutes I had enough. :roll: I mean what are you going to do with that? I took all kinds of pics at Pittsburgh '00 and the film has never been developed. The quality of pics I can take from even 10 rows back are not worth the trouble.
  • helplessdancerhelplessdancer Posts: 5,262
    RS151862 wrote:

:lol:
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,604
    I dont mind it too, too much. I have taken quick videos and photos when I have a very good seat/view... but it is an absolute minimum and there is a good deal of etiquitte. I make sure the phone is only in front of me and not held over-head. I also keep it to a minimum.... like maybe 1:00 of recording and 6 pictures during like "Alive".

During The Wall... they had a wonderful show of people who have been killed unjustly by authority in a real powerful spectacle. Looking down from the first row of the balcony, it was a sea of LCD glow screens as people couldnt wait to check their facebooks, and whatnot. Annoying, but people do what they want.

At NY II in 2010, this girl in front of me kept calling her friend or something and holding the phone up, over her head. It completely blocked my view. I couldnt figure out why this person couldnt hear the song if the phone was held lower. This person kept hanging up or something (maybe it was a voicemail) as she had to keep calling back. It went on for like the first 4 songs. It stopped just as I was about to take her phone and toss it as far as I can.

But yeah, there is etiquitte.
  • Jerome230Jerome230 Posts: 903
    From Ed himself, from Ten Club Newsletter #11 in 1997:

""And WHO SAID VIDEO CAMERAS WOULD BE ALLOWED IN AT ALL FUTURE SHOWS? THIS IDEA IS PREPOSTEROUS!!!!! STULTIFYINGLY RIDICULOUS! Imagine a crowd full of squinting, one eyed fans peering trough a tiny mechanical eye attempting to capture what should be FELT, not digitally reproduced on cheap video, the most UNROMANTIC of all mediums,..."

Although this was his opinion 16 years ago, and they aren't banned at PJ shows, I'm sure his current sentiment isn't far off the mark.
    Ed...buddy...pal...stay true to your word and play Boise again.

Seattle, 12.7.93
    Salt Lake, 6.21.98
    Mountain View, 10.30.99
    Mountain View, 10.31.99
    Boise, 11.3.00
    Portland, 9.26.09
  • know1know1 Posts: 6,762
    I wouldn't really mind if people want to waste the concert by filming it if it wasn't for the fact that all those lit up phone screens can take away from being able to see the stage as clearly.
    The only people we should try to get even with...
    ...are those who've helped us.

Right 'round the corner could be bigger than ourselves.
    Jerome230 wrote:
    From Ed himself, from Ten Club Newsletter #11 in 1997:

""And WHO SAID VIDEO CAMERAS WOULD BE ALLOWED IN AT ALL FUTURE SHOWS? THIS IDEA IS PREPOSTEROUS!!!!! STULTIFYINGLY RIDICULOUS! Imagine a crowd full of squinting, one eyed fans peering trough a tiny mechanical eye attempting to capture what should be FELT, not digitally reproduced on cheap video, the most UNROMANTIC of all mediums,..."

Although this was his opinion 16 years ago, and they aren't banned at PJ shows, I'm sure his current sentiment isn't far off the mark.
    And??

Again, I don't personally do it - I like to take in the show without the distraction of making sure my phone is being held steady - but I think musicians should get over themselves. I don't see how it's their business how the paying fans want to watch the show from their expensive seats. And it's not like the crowds are just a bunch of automatons standing there with phones in front of their faces. That's just not how it is.
  • SP96445SP96445 Posts: 214
    Maybe if the band allowed a pay-per-view broadcast of "significant" shows like Wrigley it might make an effect on amount of pics/videos at show. I see about 15-20 concerts per year and this sad trend of pulling out a cellphone/ipad has been getting worse every year. I end up closing my eyes and listening
  • RS151862RS151862 Pittsburgh, PA Posts: 2,622
    It seems like a bigger problem is developing here. The average Pearl Jam fan apparantly has developed a debilitating sensitivity to the light generated by cell phone screens. Its making it difficult to see the massive lighted and elevated stage in front of them, and in some cases people have to shut their eyes entirely. Now I agree, this must be addressed.
    Pittsburgh 1998 • Pittsburgh 2006 • 2012 Isle Of Wight Festival • 2012 Made In America Festival • Baltimore 2013 • Seattle 2013
    St. Paul 2014 • Mexico City 2015 • Philadelphia II 2016 • Ottawa 2016 • Amsterdam I & II 2018 • Wrigley Field II 2018 • Phoenix 2022
    Apollo Theater 2022 • Chicago I 2023