Options

They're going to ban Smartphone use at shows

Comments

• Options
    LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 29,009
    I was in an area a couple of weekends ago where I had zero service. It as actually pretty nice. A little strange at first, but then I actually enjoyed it.
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • Options
    PillowPantsPillowPants Posts: 4,873
    funny this was bumped

higher quality phones haven't helped this ;)

• Options
    sheri zonasheri zona Makai Side Posts: 356
    Pokemon Go has replaced the Kardashians as my least favorite thing about today's society. Please fellow PJers and 10 clubbers...just say no. I miss the old days when the whole crowd was together, enjoying the moment...being a part of the moment, not digitizing it.
    in an underwater nation...near chinamans hat
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,021

...just say no.

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    drakeheuer14drakeheuer14 Posts: 4,391
    The phone problem wont go away. Especially because the same people complaining about it at the shows are the same people that beg for a periscope of the full thing when they cant go.
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • Options
    LiftedLifted Posts: 1,649
    I find the constant filming and picture taking at shows to be a pathetic way to enjoy the experience, but I support their use. For 'better than nothing videos' if nothing else.
  • Options
    bigdeathbigdeath Chicago Posts: 80
    http://pitchfork.com/news/66471-apple-patents-technology-that-could-prevent-you-from-filming-taking-photos-at-concerts/

In 2009, Apple applied for a patent on a sophisticated new camera technology using infrared signals. When the U.S. Patent & Trademark Office published the application in 2011, reports focused on how the technology could, among other things, block people from taking photos and filming concerts. Yesterday, Apple won approval for the patent, as 9to5Mac and Patently Apple were first to note.

According to the patent, the technology allows a camera to detect not just visible light, but also infrared data. In some cases, the device could use the infrared data to show a user information related to a nearby object, such as an exhibit in a museum. In other cases, the device could use the infrared data to disable the device’s recording functions. As an example, the patent includes an illustration of a band performing onstage as a camera screen shows the text “RECORDING DISABLED.” (See it below.)

As The New York Times reported back in 2011, “The recording industry could easily use this technology to disable a camera during a music concert by blasting an infrared signal from the stage and in turn disabling an iPhone from recording the concert for purposes of sharing it online, violating copyright laws.”

An Apple spokesperson declined to comment to Pitchfork. Apple and other companies frequently file for patents, many of which never reach the market.
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,632
    Lifted said:

I find the constant filming and picture taking at shows to be a pathetic way to enjoy the experience, but I support their use. For 'better than nothing videos' if nothing else.

Hey thanks!
    It is a mixed bag, but our guys are using only real cameras, not cell phones. And you can't hold something above your head, it will just produce shitty video. So it shouldn't disturb other.
  • Options
    facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    Yeah a bit of a mixed view on this, it is highly annoying when everyone has their phone in the air, but then some classic videos have been filmed on people's phones. Can't we just appoint one filmer at every show?!
    In seriousness though, couldn't bands just produce basic videos of their own shows, upload them themselves and enjoy the revenue they make?
  • Options
    FreeFree Posts: 3,562

Pokemon Go has replaced the Kardashians as my least favorite thing about today's society. Please fellow PJers and 10 clubbers...just say no. I miss the old days when the whole crowd was together, enjoying the moment...being a part of the moment, not digitizing it.

This!!
  • Options
    pjalive21pjalive21 St. Louis, MO Posts: 2,818
    Free said:

This!!
    second this one...seeing people aimlessly walking around while staring at their phones like zombies getting excited about picking up a fake character off the ground...just the further dumbing down of society

• Options
    Big Bank HankBig Bank Hank Seattle, WA Posts: 8,639
    They already ban any sort of discussion that is even the least bit controversial, I think sometimes the mods favorite thing is to go around and lock threads, this forum has become a very poor reflection of the band, I am done here, and if they keep banning stuff, eventually I will probably stop going to shows too, sad to see this transition turning Pearl Jam into a corporate band. This is my last post, the inability to discuss anything meaningful or controversial here has made it too lame to stick around, best wishes to everyone, down with the board Nazis, I know many fans on Facebook who left for the same reason.
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625

They already ban any sort of discussion that is even the least bit controversial, I think sometimes the mods favorite thing is to go around and lock threads, this forum has become a very poor reflection of the band, I am done here, and if they keep banning stuff, eventually I will probably stop going to shows too, sad to see this transition turning Pearl Jam into a corporate band. This is my last post, the inability to discuss anything meaningful or controversial here has made it too lame to stick around, best wishes to everyone, down with the board Nazis, I know many fans on Facebook who left for the same reason.

Departure #3? 1,300?

Peace out brother.

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,632
    ^^hysterical.
  • Options
    deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434

I suspect that referring to the board mods as Nazis isn't going to gain you any love from them, not that you were looking for that.

Best wishes on your travels onward.
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,143

For a pot smoker you sure are wound tight! Goodbye, again!
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    JWPearlJWPearl Posts: 19,893

Yeah a bit of a mixed view on this, it is highly annoying when everyone has their phone in the air, but then some classic videos have been filmed on people's phones. Can't we just appoint one filmer at every show?!
    In seriousness though, couldn't bands just produce basic videos of their own shows, upload them themselves and enjoy the revenue they make?

This is a good point..
  • Options
    TristeluneTristelune Posts: 318
    edited July 2016
    Do I like watching a periscope of a PJ show from time to time? Yes. Will I miss it? For a couple of week probably. Does it enhance my music life? I wouldn't say so, just quick seen quick forgot 99% of the time. Have I been bothered by Smartphones at shows? Yes definitely so that's a no brainer for me. There are better ways to remember (and to live!) a special moment than watching a bad video with a creepy sound. The same video you won't be watching again until you forgot how bad it was.

Yes, I often wondered why they wouldn't make more video footage available. Found no solid answer though.

Post edited by Tristelune on
  • Options
    MickeyMouseMickeyMouse Posts: 1,053
    The technology is already in place to "ban" cell phones at events while still allowing you to hold on to your phone.

Last year Dave Chappelle used Yondr and their smartphone-locking pouches at some of his shows. They're basically sleeves available in three sizes, which you put your phone into. Once you enter the "no phone zone", the pouch locks, preventing you from accessing your phone. If you need to make a call or use the phone for any reason, just leave the "zone" and the pouch unlocks. At the time, Yondr said they could handle up to 20,000 seat venues with their technology.

So it's out there. Comedians like Chappelle and Hannibal are already using it.
    Uniondale, NY 04/30/03 - Camden, NJ 07/05/03 - MSG 07/08/03 - Reading, PA 10/01/04 - Philly 10/03/05 - Ed Sullivan Theatre 05/04/06 - MSG 06/25/08 - MSG 05/21/10 - NYC (EV solo) 06/21/11 - Montreal 09/07/11 - Brooklyn 10/18/13 - Central Park 09/26/15 - Philly 04/29/16 - MSG 05/01/16 - MSG 05/02/16 - Fenway 08/05/16 - Fenway 09/02/18 - Fenway 09/04/18 
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,543
    Oh wow, Hank's said adios again eh? I can't help but be amused by the fact that he finds Facebook to be more agreeable, lol, when Facebook is in fact a total cesspool. Bye Hank! Until next time!
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    AAJCAAJC Calgary, AB, Canada Posts: 262
    I'll never understand the desire to hold your phone/device above your head to record video vs. enjoying the show. Your time alive is short, even at 100 years if you make it that far, so go enjoy the experience and leave the documentary film making to the professionals when and if they so desire to do so.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,543
    edited July 2016
    I don't care about the phones unless there is one in front of me, blocking my view. And I do ask people to stop that if they are doing it (so far, everyone has apologized and stopped doing it). What bugs me is when the artists are impacted by it. Sometimes they get annoyed, and that negatively impacts the show. So the artists need to step up here. No need to ban anything (wouldn't work anyhow). The artists just need to talk to the audience about it. Few people have the audacity to keep doing something after the artist has pleaded with them not to.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    JWPearlJWPearl Posts: 19,893
    PJ_Soul said:

I don't care about the phones unless there is one in front of me, blocking my view. And I do ask epopek to stop that if they are doing it (so far, everyone has apologized and stopped doing it). What bugs me is when the artists are impacted by it. Sometimes they get annoyed, and that negatively impacts the show. So the artists need to step up here. No need to ban anything (wouldn't work anyhow). The artists just need to talk to the audience about it. Few people have the audacity to keep doing something after the artist has pleaded with them not to.

And their problem too is their annoyance has been recorded and pictured not annoying to the holder though lol..
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,891
    this video/song by Moby pretty much sums everything up for the new generation
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VASywEuqFd8
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    My guy and I had tickets for several months to see Alice in Chains earlier this month - so much happy anticipation in that time from purchase to attendance, beautiful tiny venue and great seats.

Most everyone there had their phones out, including the two guys in the row in front of us, standing up and filming the whole time.

Get the fuck out of my way - I don't want to see this through an ocean of bright lights from your damned devices.

I want to SEE it, and feel it, and not have the beauty of the experience diluted because you think it's only about you and what you can capture on that little box.

I hate that every inconsiderate ass got theirs but in the process, ruined it for those of us who just wanted to see it with our own eyes, dig it in our own way.

At my age, I know people can be rude assholes...which is surprising in that it popped a bubble of naivete I didn't even realize I had.

• Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117

this video/song by Moby pretty much sums everything up for the new generation
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VASywEuqFd8

Love it
  • Options
    AceCoolAceCool Texas Posts: 455
    Cell phones definitely have blessing/curse forces. I'm not sure if there is a solution.
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,173
    I'm not sure if there is a solution either. Having to seal 18000 phones into those bags seems tedious and quite the challenge. Maybe it works for smaller venues, but any time you ramp something up to that magnitude it doesn't go that smoothly. You can confiscate phones because almost everyone has one. You can't put in cell phone jammers because people can still take pictures/video (it only prevents people from streaming...).

Yah It's annoyance for sure.. especially if the person in front of you is holding it up for a prolonged period of time and blocking your view. I agree there doesn't seem like much can be done.

Btw does it really annoying the band as much as the fans? All the lit up screens face backwards so the band won't really get bothered like the fans would. I suppose there's the idiots that forget to turn off the flash... but other then that, from the stage, it's a bunch of people holding up little boxes?
  • Options
    -decodified--decodified- mobile device Posts: 2,686
    Bill Graham Civic Auditorium - Jul 15, 2006
    Outside Lands Festival - Aug 28, 2009
    Key Arena - Sep 21, 2009
    Viejas Arena - Oct 09, 2009
    Shoreline Amphitheater - Oct 23, 2010
    Shoreline Amphitheater - Oct 24, 2010
    Oracle Arena Nov 26, 2013
    Shoreline Amphitheater - Oct 26, 2014
    Parque Simon Bolivar - Bogota, Colombia - Nov 25, 2015 - MY HOMETOWN!!!
    Madison Square Garden - May 01, 2016
    Madison Square Garden - May 02, 2016
    Wrigley Field - Aug 20, 2016
    Wrigley Field - Aug 22, 2016 - MY B-DAY!!!

dL7POFOTD9H0c.gif
  • Options
    there is no time to hate
    get over it