Options

They're going to ban Smartphone use at shows

Comments

• Options
    I will personally tell people to grow up and put the fucking thing away or I will slap it out of your hand.

1) ask nicely
    2) do what you need to do to enjoy the show
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,743
    SP96445 wrote:
    Maybe if the band allowed a pay-per-view broadcast of "significant" shows like Wrigley it might make an effect on amount of pics/videos at show. I see about 15-20 concerts per year and this sad trend of pulling out a cellphone/ipad has been getting worse every year. I end up closing my eyes and listening

I want to be able to watch the shows by the song, on youtube. I don't want to sit and watch a full show on my computer normally. I love that people post that shit.

I understand we're all different.... I still just have a hard time understanding why people you don't know holding a phone can be so bothersome. Not sure why anyone gives a shit. In fact, I think all those little blue lights in the crowd in a dark arena look sort of cool. Whether or not the people holding them are truly absorbing the art is neither here nor there to me. Why would I care about that? I assume they are doing it because they enjoy doing it, so good for them, as long as they are not obstructing my view, and if they are, I politely ask them to stop doing that. So far, everyone just says sorry, and lowers the phone.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    RS151862 wrote:
    It seems like a bigger problem is developing here. The average Pearl Jam fan apparantly has developed a debilitating sensitivity to the light generated by cell phone screens. Its making it difficult to see the massive lighted and elevated stage in front of them, and in some cases people have to shut their eyes entirely. Now I agree, this must be addressed.
    When you put it that way, I'm a little worried about everyone. :lol:
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    nevmilesnevmiles Ottawa, ON Posts: 1,363
    I'm all for people using phones to capture the show as long as they put it up on YouTube for me to enjoy.... I stand and enjoy the live experience myself, but always like being able to relive parts of the concert online afterwards. As long as it doesn't block my view of the stage or take away from my enjoyment of the show and the videos are shared afterwards, I say go for it, thank you! :thumbup:
    Barrie 08/22/98
    Montreal 10/04/00
    Toronto 10/05/00
    Toronto 06/28/03
    Kitchener 09/11/05
    Ottawa 09/16/05
    Toronto 08/21/09
    Toronto 09/11/11
    Ottawa 09/14/11
    Buffalo 10/12/13
    Ottawa 05/08/16
    Chicago 08/20/18
    Ottawa 09/03/22
    Nashville 09/16/22
  • Options
    backseatLover12backseatLover12 Posts: 2,312
    We all know how Ed feels about the texting during his shows... :lol: Between song 3 & 4, gotta love it.

http://www.twofeetthick.com/2011/07/edd ... ly-5-2011/
  • Options
    PillowPantsPillowPants Posts: 4,874
    JimmyV wrote:
    Phones were banned at Eddie's two shows in Clearwater and to be honest it took away from both evenings. I don't mind the phones and am able to tune them out pretty effectively. I was not able to tune out ushers and security guards swooping in repeatedly to threaten people who had their phones out. It really went overboard in my opinion.

Plus...I love shitty youtube videos. :D

so don't threaten... eject... one strike and you're out

true they'll have to increase the security by 200 ;)

and i agree it was distracting at ed shows - seeing that they're mostly seated and quiet - i guess i don't have a solution other then shaming these people

or if you see someone doing it... grab their phone and throw it as far as you can

dimi in amsterdam style ;)
  • Options
    Zod wrote:
    How do you ban smartphones? Everyone has one in their pocket now. They're worth about 300 - 600 dollars each. Good luck trying to get all those people streaming through the gates to toss their phone in some kind of bin.

I can't see the logistics of banning something that a large percentage of the population will have in their pocket when entering the show.

mini lockers!!

15,000 of em ;)
  • Options
    I don't own a smart phone or iphone and from my vantage view i don't need one , i allways enjoy the shows ..

Yopu better not pull your phone out when we are enjoing the show up in Boston Pillow MAN ;)

oh i have my phone out for half the show ... i just hate when others do it ;)
  • Options
    JimmyV wrote:
    Phones were banned at Eddie's two shows in Clearwater and to be honest it took away from both evenings. I don't mind the phones and am able to tune them out pretty effectively. I was not able to tune out ushers and security guards swooping in repeatedly to threaten people who had their phones out. It really went overboard in my opinion.

Plus...I love shitty youtube videos. :D

so don't threaten... eject... one strike and you're out

true they'll have to increase the security by 200 ;)

and i agree it was distracting at ed shows - seeing that they're mostly seated and quiet - i guess i don't have a solution other then shaming these people

or if you see someone doing it... grab their phone and throw it as far as you can

dimi in amsterdam style ;)

I was at a show in the 2nd row (not PJ) and the girl in front of me stood there texting almost the whole show. News Flash - if you need to text someone, get OUT of the front row for someone who would actually enjoy the show. What an insult to the performer. :roll:
  • Options
    RS151862 wrote:
    What's the point?? Put down your phone and enjoy the show.

Maybe you should take your own advice. Stop worrying about what everyone else is doing and enjoy the show.

huh? what's my advice?

if i've got some asshole blocking my view with their phone raised above their head then it's hindering my enjoyment of the show?
  • Options
    Or do what Jack White did and have Free pictures from the show available on the website for free download. Jack has his own Professional photographer take pics and post them on the third man site for each show. You can download and save as many as you like. And these are great pics from a photographer who has 100% access. It did not stop everyone, but I could tell less phones out than usual.

excellent idea!

I'm thinking of making a game out it at the next show I attend. Bring a suction cup gun with a ton of darts and see how many phones you can hit.

i was thinking of spit balls and a straw ... or a bb gun ;)
  • Options
    jen.ryanjen.ryan Posts: 339
    RS151862 wrote:
    It seems like a bigger problem is developing here. The average Pearl Jam fan apparantly has developed a debilitating sensitivity to the light generated by cell phone screens. Its making it difficult to see the massive lighted and elevated stage in front of them, and in some cases people have to shut their eyes entirely. Now I agree, this must be addressed.

well said! :clap::clap:
    1992 - Saratoga Springs NY 8/4/ (Lollapalooza)
    1996 - Buffalo NY 10/1
    1998 - New York (MSG) 9/11
    2000 - Saratoga Springs NY 8/27/
    2006 - New York (Ed Sullivan Theater) 5/4, Albany NY 5/12, Boston MA 5/24
    2008 - Hartford CT 6/27 Mansfield MA 6/28
    2010 - Hartford CT 5/15/10, New York (MSG) 5/21/10
    2013 - WRIGLEY! 7/21 Worcester MA 10/16, Hartford CT 10/25
    2015 - Philly 4/28, Philly 4/29, Fenway 8/5
    Eddie Solo
    Boston Opera House 8/2/08, Albany Palace Theatre 6/9/09

• Options
    Yeah, but if they did that then we would have no video or pictures of that fat ugly guy who puked all over the place in boston :lol: .

that was before the show.... so it's legal

and no need to call kenny fat or ugly ... yeesh ;)
  • Options
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    jervin007 wrote:
    I don't see the point in videotaping, but don't mind a few pics being taken
    It's great to be able to watch the shows on youtube. I watch/listen to PJ concert vids all the time. I think that people bother to film is fantastic as long as I don't have to do it. I see much less point in taking photos unless they're of your friends enjoying the show. Photos of concerts are NEVER anywhere near as cool looking as it looked in person.

tapers and the quality videos on youtube aren't who I was talking about

these people know respect ... and do great work
  • Options
    I was at a show in the 2nd row (not PJ) and the girl in front of me stood there texting almost the whole show. News Flash - if you need to text someone, get OUT of the front row for someone who would actually enjoy the show. What an insult to the performer. :roll:

texting is a whole other issue

but typically the person is head down and not disturbing others - so i don't bitch too much about it ;)
  • Options
    RS151862 wrote:
    What's the point?? Put down your phone and enjoy the show.

Maybe you should take your own advice. Stop worrying about what everyone else is doing and enjoy the show.

huh? what's my advice?

if i've got some asshole blocking my view with their phone raised above their head then it's hindering my enjoyment of the show?
    Politely ask the person to lower their phone because it's blocking your view. Pretty simple. I have never seen anyone refuse when asked, and most of them also apologize.
  • Options
    bluegracebluegrace Posts: 2,357
    At a Depeche concert recently when the lights came down and the band entered the stage there was a forest of lit-up little screens in the audience. We even laughed at it. But, have to say, after maybe half the show the music was so catching everybody was dancing instead and had to put their phones away. I get annoyed about it only if I get a screen in my face when I'm trying to watch the show, other than that – film away. Me too likes shitty you tube clips, I watch them all the time to relive the show I was at or to discover the onces I wasn't.
    Kool Kat Club 1992, Moderna museet 1992, Globen 2012, Friends arena 2014
  • Options
    WhyNotSwedenWhyNotSweden Sweden Posts: 4,281
    AIC has it:
    http://www.budweisergardens.com/events/ ... _in_Chains

Special Ticket Information

**NO CAMERAS OF ANY KIND ARE PERMITTED**
    This restriction includes cell phones, digital or film cameras, as well as all audio and video recording devices.
    -95, Stockholm (MirrorBall Tour)
    -00, Stockholm
    -07, Copenhagen
    -09, Berlin
    -10, Berlin
    -11, East Troy 1+2
    -12, Stockholm, Oslo, Copenhagen, EV London 2
    -13, London, Chicago
    -14, Amsterdam 1+2, Berlin, Stockholm, Oslo
    -16, TOTD San Francisco 1+2
    -17, EV Amsterdam 2+3
    -18, Amsterdam 1+2, London 1+(2), Barcelona, London 2
    -19, EV Brussels

• Options
    NamiNami Newfoundland Posts: 5,992
    AIC has it:

This restriction includes cell phones, digital or film cameras, as well as all audio and video recording devices.

yeah buddy... gonna be a good show.

cant wait to hear free bird :lol:
    Hamilton 9-13-05; Toronto 5-9-06, Toronto 8-21-09, Toronto 9-12-11, Hamilton 9-15-11....
  • Options
    bluegracebluegrace Posts: 2,357
    ...and the photos from concerts Jack White have on his website are ace. Would really want for more artists to do the same.
    Kool Kat Club 1992, Moderna museet 1992, Globen 2012, Friends arena 2014
  • Options
    AIC has it:

That is pretty much standard for acts in Canada. It's often written into the venue's rules. But they can't enforce that. No way are they going to spot everyone taking a quick pic with their phone, and no way are they going to keep people from bringing them in. However, when it says no cameras of any kind, I respect the request. There just isn't any way for them to enforce that when everyone has a camera on their phone, which they necessarily have with them. The only way I can see them being able to enforce that is spotting the ones rude enough to use a flash.
  • Options
    AIC has it:

Nice. 8-)
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 88,698
    I really liked what PJ offered back in '05 & '06. Included in our official bootleg download from Basecamp were many amazing photos. '05 photos were in high rez (over 2mb each). Also more were photos from each show were available on the official website.

I kinda wished PJ took the route like what The Who offered many year's back. Each show was released on CD & DVD. It was AMAZING!!!! The offering of this blew our minds!!!

Just imagine if PJ offered something like this? Would it cut back on cell phone snap shot / video recording? Couldn't hurt to try. :angel:
  • Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,819
    id be behind this 100%

why take photos when the bands photographer posts up 1000% better ones almost overnight.
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 88,698
    pdalowsky wrote:
    id be behind this 100%

why take photos when the bands photographer posts up 1000% better ones almost overnight.

Exactly!! Invest in the band's photographers to take as much photos as they can from all sides of the stage & inside the arena. And just don't post a few photos online. Post dozens of them. Make them available for viewing here for paying 10club members. It would be a treat.
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,451
    Zod wrote:
    How do you ban smartphones? Everyone has one in their pocket now. They're worth about 300 - 600 dollars each. Good luck trying to get all those people streaming through the gates to toss their phone in some kind of bin.

I can't see the logistics of banning something that a large percentage of the population will have in their pocket when entering the show.

the us open did it to 25,000 people a day last month. it can absolutely be done.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    SpagsSpags Leigh-on-Sea, UK Posts: 2,984
    The sooner they invent a way of us recording images with just our eyes and storing those images in a device inside our heads the better...oh wait...
    Nature drunk and High
  • Options
    Vytis33Vytis33 Posts: 184
    Jack White had a pretty strict no camera/cell phone policy on his solo tour. To the point if they even saw you with a phone out and texting you were gone. Signs everywhere about it and an announcement before the show. It was very well respected by everyone in the crowd. And I've got to say, it was such a relief not seeing everyone preoccupied with taking shitty pictures and posting where they were on fucking Facebook.
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,216
    Soundgarden (aka Nudedragons) did this for their comeback show in Seattle a few years ago.

I also remember hearing Green Day did this as well when they played a small club in LA before "21st Century Breakdown" came out cause they didn't want video and audio online.
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    demetrios wrote:
    pdalowsky wrote:
    id be behind this 100%

Exactly!! Invest in the band's photographers to take as much photos as they can from all sides of the stage & inside the arena. And just don't post a few photos online. Post dozens of them. Make them available for viewing here for paying 10club members. It would be a treat.
    I don't care about photos. I just want individual song performances posted on youtube. I don't want to have to buy a CD of an entire show. That would suck, and I already spend enough money on this band. They should let us have SOMETHING for free.