Which Pearl Jam song means the most to you?

Comments

• YLed2YLed2 Des Moines, IA Posts: 5,534
    Release

Hard To Imagine

Come Back
    Bristow, VA - 5.13.10
    East Troy, WI - 9.3.11
    East Troy, WI - 9.4.11
    Atlanta, GA - 9.22.12
    Las Vegas, NV - 10.31.12 (EV)
    Las Vegas, NV - 11.1.12 (EV)
    Chicago, IL - 7.19.13
    Dallas, TX - 11.15.13
    Oklahoma City, OK - 11.16.13
    Seattle, WA - 12.6.13
    Lincoln, NE - 10.9.14
    Moline, IL - 10.17.14
    St. Paul, MN - 10.19.14
    Milwaukee, WI - 10.20.14
    New York, NY - 5.1.16
    New York, NY - 5.2.16
    Boston, MA - 8.5.16
    Boston, MA - 8.7.16
    Chicago, IL - 8.20.16

• LA98LA98 Posts: 256
    So many mean so much to me, but if I have to pick one it's I Am Mine, my mantra whileI was going through a seriously shitty time...
  • KnZiE94KnZiE94 Posts: 158
    Given To Fly, it has to be the one that means the most to me.
    BRAD- April 21, 2012 Seattle, WA
    BRAD- April 27, 2012 Seattle, WA

Pearl Jam- September 30, 2012 Missoula, MT
    Pearl Jam- November 30, 2013 Spokane, WA
    Pearl Jam- December 6, 2013 Seattle WA
  • PJSEMPREPJSEMPRE Posts: 687
    Present Tense, Sleight of Hand, I am Mine
    Let's say knowledge is a tree, yeah.
    It's growing up just like me.
  • meveretmeveret Posts: 110
    Release is probably number one. Alive and Jeremy may be tied with it though. Those three songs have just been with me so much over the years. Other close seconds would be Immortality, Inside Job, Once and of course Hard to Imagine .
    Hamilton, ON 9/13/2005
    Albany NY 5/12/2006
    Mansfield, MA 6/28/2008
    Buffalo, NY 5/10/2010
    Hamilton, ON 9/15/2011
    Buffalo, NY 10/12/2013
  • papa_pearls_jam.pj20papa_pearls_jam.pj20 Chicago USA Posts: 2,142
    Inside Job
    Posimists. Fuck the pessimists...fuck'em.
  • gibsonguitarsgibsonguitars Canada Posts: 18
    Rearview mirror, this song reminds me of my life as a teenager and my high school days. Even though it's been close to 30 years, many painful memories remain. Have I forgiven those people? I don't know.
  • PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,122
    Corduroy! The first PJ song that I've ever learned to sing by heart. :D
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • I couldn't attempt to answer this question,
    but a few people have mentioned "present tense" and i'd like to tell a story :D

I'm a musician, Making an album is all I've wanted to do with my life since i first heard "no code" and Live's "Throwing Copper", Present Tense was my first ever favorite song.

Much later, I was going to see a girl.
    This was a big deal, I've suffered greatly from social anxiety most of my life, girls hate me, i'm ugly, a nerd, weird etc etc... you know the type.

It had reached the point that i literally get the shakes trying to buy something at a shop if theirs a woman behind the counter.

Just turning up at her door was the most difficult and courageous thing I've ever done.

All the way there (was a 20 minute drive) i had Present Tense on repeat in the my car.
    I stopped 5 times in fear, 2 of those times i turned around and started heading home.
    Took over an hour to get there, but i did get there.

About a year later the whole fiasco turned out to be about as productive as swallowing a cluster grenade, BUT that's not the point

The point is, that song gave me the strength to face a full-blown phobia
    Burton wrote:
    I couldn't attempt to answer this question,
    but a few people have mentioned "present tense" and i'd like to tell a story :D

I'm a musician, Making an album is all I've wanted to do with my life since i first heard "no code" and Live's "Throwing Copper", Present Tense was my first ever favorite song.

Much later, I was going to see a girl.
    This was a big deal, I've suffered greatly from social anxiety most of my life, girls hate me, i'm ugly, a nerd, weird etc etc... you know the type.

It had reached the point that i literally get the shakes trying to buy something at a shop if theirs a woman behind the counter.

Just turning up at her door was the most difficult and courageous thing I've ever done.

All the way there (was a 20 minute drive) i had Present Tense on repeat in the my car.
    I stopped 5 times in fear, 2 of those times i turned around and started heading home.
    Took over an hour to get there, but i did get there.

About a year later the whole fiasco turned out to be about as productive as swallowing a cluster grenade, BUT that's not the point

The point is, that song gave me the strength to face a full-blown phobia

Nice story! Good for you! :thumbup: Welcome to the forums! :wave:
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • Come back..is the most unexpected romantic song from PJ.
    I am mine.
  • nupur1586nupur1586 Ewing, NJ Posts: 88
    Corduroy, for being classic Pearl Jam .. i love the song so much that I keep a copy of the lyrics on my desk @work :)http://instagram.com/p/TrV9ZBv336/

Indifference, moves me every time I listen to it

Black, well, you don't need reasons to like that song, it's pure genius!
    Can I be here all alone? Clear a path to my home
    nupur1586 wrote:
    Corduroy, for being classic Pearl Jam .. i love the song so much that I keep a copy of the lyrics on my desk @work :)http://instagram.com/p/TrV9ZBv336/

My all-time favourite and the first PJ song that I learned to sing by heart! :D
  • Stupidmop

:D
    Who the f*ck goes around skinning cats~~Ed

It all comes down to changing your head~~John Lennon

MSG 6-24-08/MSG 5-21-10/Philly MIA 9-2-12/Chicago Wrigley Field 7-19-13/Brooklyn NY 1&2 10-2013/Philly 1&2 10-2013
  • donnaruhldonnaruhl Posts: 2,157
    If I could put together all the song's that moved me,It would come in a box set of cd's. Every time I read these posts, I'm reminded of even more songs that had slipped my mind.It's good to see such a variety of songs from different fans.And that's why you touch so many.Everyone takes something away with them.Real Songs, Real People, Raw Emotions. Can you really fathom the depth of your connection with People. We're not alone. With our thoughts, Our experiences, Our longings.Because we all share it," In Song" With Love, just another fan. :D
  • UnThought Known tuned my life upside down, but for the better.. It changed my life
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,136
    Ghost means alot lately..
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
    edited April 2017
    Leatherman
    Post edited by Pap on
  • Tough to answer, for the 21 and whatever years its Been, many songs have meant a lot. This fucking band has literally saved my life, there were times I was so depressed in the past this was the only thing that made me happy. The first song I heard was Oceans, start of side 2 on my buddies cassette tape. Oceans fucking blew my mind. I bought the tape the next day, ripped down my Warrant and Poison posters and hung the cassette sleeve up, did the same when I bought the disc, my first CD ever. First song I heard and it changed my life, it was pretty cool growing up with Pearl Jam.

To answer the simple question Oceans means the -Most- to me, great fucking tune but probably not my all time favorite Mookie song.
  • gfnk001gfnk001 Posts: 652
    Hands down for me is Long Road. The lyrics are beautiful. The story behind it is personal to Ed, and I'm a theatre teacher. So there's that connection to. But to me it's the bees knees. :D
  • Release.
    I too lost a father, just like Ed.
    Little Secrets Tremors
    Turned to Quake
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”

+1
  • JossieJossie Posts: 505
    FOOTSTEPS
  • wasa1971wasa1971 Calgary, Canada Posts: 2,144
    I could never pick just one, but lately unthought known is one I have listened to over and over. We all have our own interpretation, but seems very relatable with things going on in my life at the moment.
  • lately yellow ledbetter...the story behind the song makes me sad. I have family in the military. war may not be the answer but people die trying to protect what they think is right. I wish I could get the real lyrics to that song. I like thinking "I DONT KNOW WHETHER IM THE BOXER OR THE BAG", story of my life. black sometimes makes me cry, especially if I listen to it after foo fighters' best of you. its like they wrote the songs for me, its exactly how I feel and what I would say if I could. but i'm the most non-musical person in the world. I cant play an instrument, I play the radio. :cry: I've also been feeling porch lately...there are so many good songs, its like lays chips you cant have just one. and any tribute to andy, he really had a way with words and music (my only tools). I get such a vivid picture when I hear man of golden words. it breaks my heart to see chris cornell perform that on youtube and then go into pink Floyd comfortably numb. on a lighter note corduroy and not for you ring true for me as well.
  • CrazyMary75CrazyMary75 Posts: 14
    edited July 2013
    Pearl Jam has been the soundtrack of my life for 20+ years. They got me through my suicidal teen years, Garden would play over and over. As I got angrier I would listen to Once or Even Flow to get out my aggresion. When I lost my father, Alive got me through and then Release Me helped me deal with the pain. As I got older and my life got better PJ was there to help me get through some tough decisions, like moving out of my small town and away from my family and friends to make a better life for my daughter and I. Small Town was my song for that. My theme song with my friends since high school has been Crazy Mary. (my name is Mary) They still sing it to me when I see them. I could go on and on but, I know that I will be listening to Pearl Jam in the retirement home, they all mean everything to me.
    Post edited by CrazyMary75 on
    Me you wouldn't recall for I'm not my former
  • AdamcadoAdamcado Posts: 74
    I was 13 in 1998 when I first heard Pearl Jam and bought Given To Fly on cassette...

That song still sounds otherwordly to me to this day...

Yield is still my favourite record and PJ my favourite band...
    In a former forum life I was Cropduster84
  • helplessdancerhelplessdancer Posts: 5,262
    there is no clear winner in this contest for me

my thoughts would change over time. nothing is consistent when dealing with a top 20+ list, where all the entries are valid/equal