Options

PJ made $2 million just for MIA

Comments

• Options
    shawndyer wrote:
    I think the issue is not that they make money and are smart business-men. I believe the issue that people have problems with is the hypocrisy of openly being a band that didn't want to be 'popstars', yet now is appearing to only play places that they know will net them a lot of money, therefore acting like the people they openly rallied against. They appear to have lost interest in pleasing their fans, and they appear to not be interested in making new, good music with each other. Yet when the opportunity to play a festival for an hour or so and earn huge money comes up, they miraculously want to be 'Pearl Jam' again. That's where people are having issues. Try living somewhere where you can't fly to a festival and see them, or on the other side of the country or world to the very few places they play these days and you might begin to understand the frustration. We all love Pearl Jam, and no-one begrudges them earning money. What's frustrating is the hypocrisy that they show now compared to what they used to be about.

they grew up. they probably wish their fans did too.
    Intelligent.

are you the same person with the exact same ideals as you were 20 years ago? if you are, then you haven't grown up. I didn't mean it in the "immature" sense of the word. as in "evolve".
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    teemanteeman Posts: 337
    Im glad they get paid well for stuff like this...Oracle on the other hand, I'd much rather they go without that paycheck.
  • Options
    dlymnflddlymnfld CT Posts: 917
    Any money they can get for their music is a win for everyone. They have a job (which they do very well) to make music and they should get paid well. I am a Republican flying to MT to a Democratic fundraiser in which I gave Tester money in an effort to win tickets. I like their music period. I don't listen to their music for any other reason other than I like their music. I could care less about their opinions, values or etc. If they can get paid by Oracle a billion dollars to play a concert it's not going to affect how I like their music. I hope they keep getting paid as this is America and the harder you work the more you should be compensated.
    Springfield 4/6/94, Boston 4/6/94, Hartford 10/2/96, New York 9/11/98, Hartford 9/13/98, Mansfield 8/30/00, Boston 9/28/04, Reading 10/1/04, Quebec City 9/20/05, Boston 5/24/06, Hartford 5/13/06, New York 6/25/08, Hartford 6/27/08 Philadelphia 10/31/09, Hartford 10/15/10,
    Boston 10/17/10, East Troy 9/3/11, East Troy 9/4/11, Missoula 9/30/12, Worcester 10/15/13, Hartford 10/25/13, Charlottesville 10/29/13,
    St. Paul 10/19/14, New York 9/26/15, Quebec City 5/5/16, Boston 8/5/16, Boston 9/2/18, Boston 9/4/18, Quebec City 9/1/22, Camden 9/14/22, Oklahoma City 9/20/22 
  • Options
    dlymnfld wrote:
    Any money they can get for their music is a win for everyone. They have a job (which they do very well) to make music and they should get paid well. I am a Republican flying to MT to a Democratic fundraiser in which I gave Tester money in an effort to win tickets. I like their music period. I don't listen to their music for any other reason other than I like their music. I could care less about their opinions, values or etc. If they can get paid by Oracle a billion dollars to play a concert it's not going to affect how I like their music. I hope they keep getting paid as this is America and the harder you work the more you should be compensated.

Not a win for everyone...if a number of fans disagree, then it's nit a win. I'm as capitalistic as the next guy, but the oracle thing is just a cash grab, doesn't help fans in any way.
  • Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,995
    teeman wrote:
    dlymnfld wrote:

Not a win for everyone...if a number of fans disagree, then it's nit a win. I'm as capitalistic as the next guy, but the oracle thing is just a cash grab, doesn't help fans in any way.
    The only way I'd have an issue with the Oracle gig is if PJ were to be doing a public show OR the Oracle gig, and chose the Oracle gig.

-No fans have been screwed over (ie. the band didn't scrap plans for a show because Oracle called)
    -A large corporation takes pretty damn good care of their staff and customers clearly
    -The band is not obligated to deny large sums of money that a large corporation wants to hand over, just because fifteen years ago they declared that they want to make their concerts affordable for their fans. This is not a public show
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    benjs wrote:
    teeman wrote:
    dlymnfld wrote:

The only way I'd have an issue with the Oracle gig is if PJ were to be doing a public show OR the Oracle gig, and chose the Oracle gig.

-No fans have been screwed over (ie. the band didn't scrap plans for a show because Oracle called)
    -A large corporation takes pretty damn good care of their staff and customers clearly
    -The band is not obligated to deny large sums of money that a large corporation wants to hand over, just because fifteen years ago they declared that they want to make their concerts affordable for their fans. This is not a public show

Everyone's entitled to their own opinion. I personally think a corporate conference is about the lamest gig a band can do. Especially one that's outspoken against big corporations. Not just 15 years ago, but throughout their career.

Cheesy, lame, sell out-ish. If it weren't, they'd mention the show on the website.
  • Options
    rival.rival. Chicago Posts: 7,776
    teeman wrote:

Cheesy, lame, sell out-ish. If it weren't, they'd mention the show on the website.

this isn't the first time they are playing a private gig (playing them since '91). the others weren't mentioned on the website. why should this one be any different?
  • Options
    rival. wrote:
    teeman wrote:

this isn't the first time they are playing a private gig (playing them since '91). the others weren't mentioned on the website. why should this one be any different?

They mention all the other concerts...

I'm sure everyone who goes will have a kick-ass time. They'll bust out rarities and break curfew, it'll be epic.
  • Options
    Good for them.

Success should be encouraged in this country.

Tell that to Obama and all his fanboys in AMT.
  • Options
    TyTy Posts: 1,007
    Blah blah blah, ya bunch of haters/dickheads. They are one of the biggest bands in the world. Did you expect them to get $15,000? Change ideals and shit... whatever! They became millionaires from the Ten era (album and touring). We are grateful they have maintained that by making music and touring. Haters are so small-minded. And if someone offered me a shit load of money when I was only used to a quarter of that amount, ofcourse you'd jump at it. And I think you under estimate what they make from a show of themselves. Eminem played a Stadium in Sydney last year and earned $5m from it. I'm sure PJ have earned $2m from one of their stadium shows in recent years.
    PJ - Sydney 1998; Sydney 2003; Sydney, Melbourne, Newcastle 2006; Melbourne, Sydney 2009; Gold Coast, Melbourne, Sydney 2014.
    EV - Canberra, Newcastle, Sydney 2011; Sydney 2014.
  • Options
    goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,353
    Seriously though, why does anyone really give a damn? Good for them. They are musicians and they got paid for a night's work, so what's the problem? If anyone here says they would have turned down $2m for a night's work they're talking out of their ass.

(Damn argumentative thread drawing me in when I know I should just walk away!)
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    Thorns2010Thorns2010 Posts: 2,199
    maj4e wrote:
    Thorns2010 wrote:
    Well, at least we now know the entity known as Pearl Jam is about money and nothing much else anymore.

Be sure that you never EVER get a raise as long as you live. Be sure you only make the same amount as you did when you broke into your industry. Otherwise you're a hypocrite.

This argument is so old it makes my head hurt.

+1
    i was surrounded by about 30 thousand fans who were super glad they decided to play MIA instead of work on the new album for those 2 hours

I have no problem with them making as much money as they can. I just get frustrated when fans and the band try to act as if there is anything other than money that motivates the vast majority of their decisions in the last 6-8 years.

Yes they grew up and changed, sadly I don't like most of the changes that they made.
  • Options
    stipe19stipe19 Posts: 237
    They never stood for anything but self-promotion. And that is what all bands do.
    In the words of Mick Jagger "its only rock n roll but I like it"

I was at the MIA festival and had a GREAT time. If they had been paid 10 million dollars I still would have had a GREAT time.

People are upset they got paid. People are upset they performed with Jay-Z. People are upset they played a festival. People are upset they played a "hits set" BLAH BLAH BLAH.

Why dont you all just start a blog on another website about how much you hate Pearl Jam. And leave this site for people that actually like the band and the music they create.

The Ten Club is a fan site not an anti-fan site
  • Options
    good on em.

i'd do the same. i'd even play 99 luftballons with jay-z and put my hands in the air like i just don't care for 2m.
    Yeh I've seen Pearl Jam, too. But I can't remember the dates.
  • Options
    stipe19 wrote:
    They never stood for anything but self-promotion. And that is what all bands do.

I was at the MIA festival and had a GREAT time. If they had been paid 10 million dollars I still would have had a GREAT time.

People are upset they got paid. People are upset they performed with Jay-Z. People are upset they played a festival. People are upset they played a "hits set" BLAH BLAH BLAH.

Why dont you all just start a blog on another website about how much you hate Pearl Jam. And leave this site for people that actually like the band and the music they create.

Would you still have had such a GREAT time if that was the only chance you had to see them for god knows how long, and it had cost you THOUSANDS of dollars to see them? Or would you be a little annoyed and jaded that the only way for you to see the band you love so much, and have loved since you were 16 (or whatever age you were when you started listening to them), was to pay that much money to travel to another country, and see them in a freaking festival?!

It's not about hating - myself and many others have already said that. It's not about begrudging them making money from their music, as has been said. It's about the fact that they pretend to care about their fans in the same way that they used to, but they don't in reality because money has taken over as the primary objective of the band.

I LOVE Pearl Jam. I have loved them since I was 16 in 1992. I have many reasons to love the music and the connections made through the music since then. BUT, I am allowed to express my opinion and have it be as valid as anyone elses. I will say again. I don't hate, and I don't want them to not make money from their music. I just don't like hypocrisy In anyone, but especially in people whose values I held in quite high esteem.
  • Options
    nice work....if you can get it ;)
    manchester 00
    manchester 09
    belfast 2010
    hyde park 2010
    manchester 2012 1&2
    amsterdam 2012 1&2
    EV manchester 2012
    EV london 31/7/12
    brooklyn 2013 1&2
    milano,leeds,milton keynes 2014

monkey driven call this living
  • Options
    WildsWilds Posts: 4,329
    edited September 2012
    stipe19 wrote:

Would you still have had such a GREAT time if that was the only chance you had to see them for god knows how long, and it had cost you THOUSANDS of dollars to see them? Or would you be a little annoyed and jaded that the only way for you to see the band you love so much, and have loved since you were 16 (or whatever age you were when you started listening to them), was to pay that much money to travel to another country, and see them in a freaking festival?!

It's not about hating - myself and many others have already said that. It's not about begrudging them making money from their music, as has been said. It's about the fact that they pretend to care about their fans in the same way that they used to, but they don't in reality because money has taken over as the primary objective of the band.

I LOVE Pearl Jam. I have loved them since I was 16 in 1992. I have many reasons to love the music and the connections made through the music since then. BUT, I am allowed to express my opinion and have it be as valid as anyone elses. I will say again. I don't hate, and I don't want them to not make money from their music. I just don't like hypocrisy In anyone, but especially in people whose values I held in quite high esteem.

But that is a you problem.

It is not for the band to conform to what ever value you place on them. It is for them to create their own value system and remain true to it, even as it changes (as everyone's does) over the years.

If we were all held to the same values we held in our 20's. (especially if we were all mega rock stars flung into the corporate world against our idealistic, but let's be frank, unrealistic ideal worldview), we would all be stunted immature losers.

The band (and I would say Eddie as he was always the most demonstrative, outspoken, and dare I say troubled and often most immature member of the group) has grown up, raised families, prioritized the Pearl Jam family (extended), and made keeping those people working and happy. (at least as I see it). They have arrived at a place in their life and career where they don't have to jump through the hoops of the record industry.

So they tour when they like. (it's a lot in my opinion), they record a record every 2, 3, 4, years. And yes they play some corporate events, that they might not have played 20 years ago. Although I don't think Stone, Jeff, Mike, or Dave had objections, although I could be wrong on that.

So let us stop holding the band to immature Eddie's 18 year old id, ego and super-ego, he's moved past his "I'm mad at the world and Daddy" stage. Perhaps we should too.

As for touring Australia? What are you talking about.

They seem to like playing down under and do so every few years. (1995, 1998, 2003, 2006, 2009, EV solo 2011, 2013?).
    Post edited by Wilds on
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,458
    seems this forum is like therapy..
    we all pay for be here for different reasons..
    its what you choose..some for complain about everything,some about agree with everything
    others,cos are musicians,others cos have friends,others for sell and buy merch..other for post gossip,others for talk,for fun, others only for read,others for tix of shows..and so many other reasons...oh and those people that talk politics all day at AMT forum :lol: :wave:
    and some for all the above.
    well..this is the cheapest therapy ever..great fuckin deal if you ask me..
    20.or 40-50$ per year??

i think we stealing 10c :lol::lol::lol:
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    good for them! :D
  • Options
    swardsward Posts: 586
    teeman wrote:
    Everyone's entitled to their own opinion. I personally think a corporate conference is about the lamest gig a band can do. Especially one that's outspoken against big corporations. Not just 15 years ago, but throughout their career.

One thing we all forget is that Pearl Jam is a.....corporation..for the most part. I really have zero knowledge about what Oracle's ideals are and/or what their humanitarian footprint is. Perhaps Pearl Jam does and that played into the decision. Just because they are corporate doesn't mean they aren't a respectful company.

As far as the topic goes. They made 2 million for the concert? Who gives a sweet flying F%#%>? Entertainers/Athletes make a certain amount of money that is unfathomable to me, but I wish it was me making it. These dudes have lived a lifestyle (and donated from that) for 20 years now. If they maintain that by playing gigs (their Job!!!!!!!) then well..um....well..wait....whats the problem here?
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,660
    teeman wrote:

i think playing a gig where 15,000 middle-class workers get to see you for free is way more respectable than playing a show for some typical politician but that' s just me. Raking in the cash is way more rock'n'roll than making friends with politicians.
  • Options
    memememe Posts: 4,693
    They got 99 problems, but money ain't one
    ... and the will to show I will always be better than before.
  • Options
    I also think it's worth noting that they took the time during this "cash grab" "hits show" concert to speak to the plight of the American worker in the age of outsourcing, urge people to vote, and play politics/issue-heavy songs like "Unemployable," "Know Your Rights," "Do the Evolution," "W.M.A.," "99 Problems," and "Rockin' in the Free World." They're still taking every opportunity to get their messages out, which I appreciate.
  • Options
    LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539
    meme wrote:
    They got 99 problems, but money ain't one
    :roll:
  • Options
    veddertownveddertown Scotland Posts: 5,260
    seems this forum is like therapy..
    we all pay for be here for different reasons..
    its what you choose..some for complain about everything,some about agree with everything
    others,cos are musicians,others cos have friends,others for sell and buy merch..other for post gossip,others for talk,for fun, others only for read,others for tix of shows..and so many other reasons...oh and those people that talk politics all day at AMT forum :lol: :wave:
    and some for all the above.
    well..this is the cheapest therapy ever..great fuckin deal if you ask me..
    20.or 40-50$ per year??

i think we stealing 10c :lol::lol::lol:

Great Greekglish words of wisdom Dimi... ;)

I just come here for the car crash threads and they're worth the annual fee! :mrgreen:

Let the bitching continue.....
    Like a book among the many on a shelf...

Dublin 02 Arena - 22/6/10. Belfast Odyssey Arena - 23/6/10. London Hyde Park - 25/6/10. Berlin Wuhlheide - 30/6/10.
    Manchester MEN - 20/06/12. Manchester MEN - 21/06/12
  • Options
    front spacerfront spacer Earth Posts: 3,246
    Jealous Much?

So what if the band decided they had enough money and playing live was something they didn't want to do anymore? We would all pitch a fit! I'm glad they still play at least somewhere every year.

Let's face it, they are at a point in their careers, lives, family situation, etc. that they are sorta semi-retired. They aren't going to play 5 months solid anymore. They aren't going to play 4 or 5 shows a week. And if they make a couple million for a festival show, before paying for gear, travel, set-up, traveling employees, etc. so what. It's like athletes or sports teams....you don't like it? Don't buy a ticket, or hat, or shirt, or jersey, or whatever. Sit at home and watch the game on TV, or buy the CD, or listen to a bootleg to a show that you didn't go to.

Stop hating!
    Indy - 08.17.98
    Indy - 08.18.00
    Indy - 06.22.03
    Indy - 05.07.10
    EV StL - 07.01.11
    Alpine Valley - 09.03.11, 09.04.11 (PJ20)
    ATL - 09.22.12 (Music Midtown Festival)
    EV Jax - 11.24.12
    Chicago - 07.19.13
    Pittsburgh - 10.11.13
    Moline - 10.17.14 (The No Code Show)
    Milwaukee - 10.20.14 (The Yield Show)
    FtL - 04.08.16
    Miami - 04.09.16
    Tampa - 04.11.16
    Lexington - 04.26.16
    Chicago - 08.20.16, 08.22.16
    Chicago - 08.18.18, 08.20.18
    Boston - 09.02.18, 09.04.18
  • Options
    Gary CarterGary Carter Shea Stadium Posts: 14,002
    cp3iverson wrote:
    teeman wrote:

i think playing a gig where 15,000 middle-class workers get to see you for free is way more respectable than playing a show for some typical politician but that' s just me. Raking in the cash is way more rock'n'roll than making friends with politicians.
    best post in this thread
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• Options
    A. Pearl Jam is sooooooo far from being pop as these days no one under the age of 25 know who they are (exceptions)
    B. All these posts talk about how the fans held PJ's values so high. That really makes me laugh -- i can vividly remember the days when Ed would ramble about Ron Paul and other political shit and i would be in line getting another beer thinking 'please shut up and play Lukin again!' So there are some of us who really just enjoy the shit out of their awesome sound and the fact that they aren't total dicks is a huge bonus (and probably the reason they are still together)
    C. If we would have picked any other band in the world to be our favorite band 20+ yrs ago we wouldn't be on the forum having these arguments because all those bands are either broke up or sure as fuck aren't being asked to HEADLINE anything as relevant as Made In America. We wouldn't be bitching about our favorite band playing for corporate sponsors because no fucking sponsors of any kind would be willing to pay for a 21 year old rock band.
    ......But we are the fortunate ones - the faithful - who made the decision to love Pearl Jam and they haven't really let us down yet so we should probably trust that they know what they are doing at this point -- sit back and enjoy that shit.

I personally think they should have been paid 2 million a piece - because they are fucking worth every penny. (as long as my ticket price stays within reason ;) )
  • Options
    Wow good for them!

I'm a little surprised only because this event was billed as a charity event for the United Way and usually artists give up part or all of their salary for the cause.

Then again maybe 2 million IS only a fraction of what they usually get paid for a festival.
    "Rock and roll is something that can't be quantified, sometimes it's not even something you hear, but FEEL!" - Bob Lefsetz
  • Options
    memememe Posts: 4,693
    Wow good for them!

I'm a little surprised only because this event was billed as a charity event for the United Way and usually artists give up part or all of their salary for the cause.

Then again maybe 2 million IS only a fraction of what they usually get paid for a festival.

Good point. So if they broke even United Way is not getting anything?

I found this, not sure what to make of it:

http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2012/0 ... -festival/
    ... and the will to show I will always be better than before.