Options

PJ made $2 million just for MIA

Comments

• Options
    Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    they deserve every cent of it.

and we as fans deserve an anual show in Philly.

thanks pearl jam .
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • Options
    SolarWorldSolarWorld Posts: 1,902
    IRS takes 40%, then there are expenses, then money invested back into "Pearl Jam". Band members are lucky if they clear 5 figures when its all said and done for this appearance. People have no idea how money works on this level. You hear two million and you think Ed and everyone have checks made out to them for 2 million each. Wake up people.
  • Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    SolarWorld wrote:
    IRS takes 40%, then there are expenses, then money invested back into "Pearl Jam". Band members are lucky if they clear 5 figures when its all said and done for this appearance. People have no idea how money works on this level. You hear two million and you think Ed and everyone have checks made out to them for 2 million each. Wake up people.

IRS doesn't just take 40% of the $2M.....you don't understand tax law if you think that. i would assume pearl jam is incorporated or an LLC of some sort....so it would be $2m, less business expenses (travel, staff,...accounting, fraud prevention, manegment...etc etc)

then the irs gets a cut of the profit.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    Empty GlassEmpty Glass In Rob's shed Posts: 12,329
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    they deserve every cent of it.

and we as fans deserve an anual show in Philly.

thanks pearl jam .

This post is Empty Glass approved
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

"THERE ARE NO CLIQUES, ONLY THOSE WHO DON'T JOIN THE FUN" - Empty circa 2015

"Kfsbho&$thncds" - F Me In the Brain - circa 2015
  • Options
    SolarWorldSolarWorld Posts: 1,902
    81 wrote:
    SolarWorld wrote:

IRS doesn't just take 40% of the $2M.....you don't understand tax law if you think that. i would assume pearl jam is incorporated or an LLC of some sort....so it would be $2m, less business expenses (travel, staff,...accounting, fraud prevention, manegment...etc etc)

then the irs gets a cut of the profit.

:lol:
  • Options
    Thorns2010 wrote:
    Well, at least we now know the entity known as Pearl Jam is about money and nothing much else anymore.

True that...I know they are on their own record label....Probably, why they are doing more festivals than usual....But, yes it seems that pearl jam is all about the money now......
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,459
    when ill start working as an accountants at usa goverment ill care about this things..
    now,i care if they can still rock hard on stage ,make music,i like see them live and i can afford to travel for see them...
    and play Nothing as it seems and Crown of thorns at every show and atleast once Ghost will be nice!!
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    anyone who's jimmies are rustled by this is a fool

herp derp they shouldn't take 5x as much money for 1/5 the amount ofwork herp derp
    i have a paper here that entitles me to fast track status
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,404
    so?
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,951
    SolarWorld wrote:

Who said anything about all members getting 2 million? And where did anyone dispute the fact that this does not include taxes or expenses?
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
  • Options
    Im sure the money also gets divided between crew members.. or maybe not?
    2008 - MSG 6/24-6/25
    2010 - Newark 5/18 MSG 5/21
    2011 - PJ20 9/3-9/4
    2012 - MIA Festival 9/2
    2013 - Wrigley Field 7/19 Brooklyn 10/18-10/19 Philly 10/22
    2015 - Colbert show - 9/23 Global Citizens Festival 9/26
    2016 - Philly 4/28-4/29 MSG 5/1-5/2

• Options
    WildsWilds Posts: 4,329
    Im sure the money also gets divided between crew members.. or maybe not?

Not divided I would say, but part of the whole that pays for salaries, etc.

It is an organization with a lot of mouths to feed.
  • Options
    SpagsSpags Leigh-on-Sea, UK Posts: 2,984
  • Options
    ComeToTXComeToTX Austin Posts: 7,644
    SolarWorld wrote:

It's so helpful to have someone around that knows exactly what everyone is thinking.
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • Options
    halvhalv Posts: 692
    maj4e wrote:
    Thorns2010 wrote:
    Well, at least we now know the entity known as Pearl Jam is about money and nothing much else anymore.

Be sure that you never EVER get a raise as long as you live. Be sure you only make the same amount as you did when you broke into your industry. Otherwise you're a hypocrite.

This argument is so old it makes my head hurt.

Getting paid more to play a show than they did years ago has nothing to do with it. Playing corporate gigs/festivals under the banner of Budweiser and Oracle after years of railing against such activities is hypocritical. There's a difference
  • Options
    as long as they deliver, I hope they make big bucks.. well deserved!

Hamburg 2000, Berlin 2006, Copenhagen 2007, Berlin 2009, Berlin 2010, Berlin 1+2 2012, Copenhagen 2012, Amsterdam 1+2 2014, Vienna 2014, Berlin 2014, Prague 2018, Krakow 2018
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,996
    SolarWorld wrote:

Thank you for letting everyone know what everyone thinks when they hear two million. Also, thank you for letting us know people have no idea how money works on this level. It is much appreciated. :roll:

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,660
    People need to lose the thought that Pearl Jam are these rural hermits who hate money and live very simple lives.

They worked hard to create their brand and they know how to sell it. Some of them drive italian sports cars, they own tons of property i'm sure, they own companies, etc. They're smart businessmen. Why wouldn't they take a huge gig like that where the lineup is still respectable? It's a win-win. Huge pay day to play with a bunch of bands/rappers with cred and one of the greatest rappers of all time.
  • Options
    boyo79boyo79 Warrington, UK Posts: 6,525
    maj4e wrote:
    Thorns2010 wrote:

Be sure that you never EVER get a raise as long as you live. Be sure you only make the same amount as you did when you broke into your industry. Otherwise you're a hypocrite.

This argument is so old it makes my head hurt.

Yep. Its getting old now. Big deal they got paid $2m for a show, good for them. There's so much PJ bashing on here of late I wonder why some people are fans!
    2000: Manchester
    2006: Dublin; Leeds; Arnhem
    2007: London
    2009: Manchester
    2012: Manchester I & II : EV Manchester : Soundgarden Shepherds Bush
    2013: Brad Manchester : Soundgarden Manchester
    2014: Amsterdam I & II; Berlin; Leeds; Milton Keynes
    2018: Berlin; London II; Boston II

Bootleg Reviews: http://pjbootlegreviews.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    veddertownveddertown Scotland Posts: 5,260
    More power to them then! The payoff for playing MIA is a shitload of publicity which will no doubt have won over a few more record buying fans and gig goers. $2 million sounds a lot, of course it does but these guys are great at what they do and as individuals the personal financial gain is only a small percentage after every tax and expense. The cards were on the table and they accepted, they didn't hold the organizers to ransom. What business is it really of anyone here to question or discuss their earnings anyway? Is that not personal? PJ became millionaires from playing music, well done to them I say... :clap:
    Like a book among the many on a shelf...

Dublin 02 Arena - 22/6/10. Belfast Odyssey Arena - 23/6/10. London Hyde Park - 25/6/10. Berlin Wuhlheide - 30/6/10.
    Manchester MEN - 20/06/12. Manchester MEN - 21/06/12
  • Options
    cp3iverson wrote:
    People need to lose the thought that Pearl Jam are these rural hermits who hate money and live very simple lives.

They worked hard to create their brand and they know how to sell it. Some of them drive italian sports cars, they own tons of property i'm sure, they own companies, etc. They're smart businessmen. Why wouldn't they take a huge gig like that where the lineup is still respectable? It's a win-win. Huge pay day to play with a bunch of bands/rappers with cred and one of the greatest rappers of all time.

I think the issue is not that they make money and are smart business-men. I believe the issue that people have problems with is the hypocrisy of openly being a band that didn't want to be 'popstars', yet now is appearing to only play places that they know will net them a lot of money, therefore acting like the people they openly rallied against. They appear to have lost interest in pleasing their fans, and they appear to not be interested in making new, good music with each other. Yet when the opportunity to play a festival for an hour or so and earn huge money comes up, they miraculously want to be 'Pearl Jam' again. That's where people are having issues. Try living somewhere where you can't fly to a festival and see them, or on the other side of the country or world to the very few places they play these days and you might begin to understand the frustration. We all love Pearl Jam, and no-one begrudges them earning money. What's frustrating is the hypocrisy that they show now compared to what they used to be about.
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,660
    cp3iverson wrote:

I think the issue is not that they make money and are smart business-men. I believe the issue that people have problems with is the hypocrisy of openly being a band that didn't want to be 'popstars', yet now is appearing to only play places that they know will net them a lot of money, therefore acting like the people they openly rallied against. They appear to have lost interest in pleasing their fans, and they appear to not be interested in making new, good music with each other. Yet when the opportunity to play a festival for an hour or so and earn huge money comes up, they miraculously want to be 'Pearl Jam' again. That's where people are having issues. Try living somewhere where you can't fly to a festival and see them, or on the other side of the country or world to the very few places they play these days and you might begin to understand the frustration. We all love Pearl Jam, and no-one begrudges them earning money. What's frustrating is the hypocrisy that they show now compared to what they used to be about.

i don't expect huge tours from them anymore. We're talking about five men basically in their 50's. They just aren't going to tour a lot. The monster tours from 98-03 are long gone and are never coming back. Touring is how bands make all of their money so that's how i see these big festival payday appearances. Ed admitted in 2000 that they play festivals for the huge easy payday. Now they play more of them. Maybe my expectations are a little more realistic.
  • Options
    cp3iverson wrote:
    cp3iverson wrote:

i don't expect huge tours from them anymore. We're talking about five men basically in their 50's. They just aren't going to tour a lot. The monster tours from 98-03 are long gone and are never coming back. Touring is how bands make all of their money so that's how i see these big festival payday appearances. Ed admitted in 2000 that they play festivals for the huge easy payday. Now they play more of them. Maybe my expectations are a little more realistic.

Or maybe hypocrisy doesn't bother you like it does a lot of other people, myself included. The band is about making money, not pleasing fans that have been around since the beginning. That's what the argument is here, and you've basically just backed it up. People are allowed to have an issue with that given what they used to stand for.
  • Options

they grew up. they probably wish their fans did too.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539

:clap:
  • Options

Intelligent.
  • Options
    ComeToTXComeToTX Austin Posts: 7,644
    I count mid 30's as grown up too.
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • Options
    Great Article, I don't care what they made. They put on an AWESOME show!
  • Options
    DURPDURP OhighO Posts: 2,180
    Good for them.
    My butt itches!
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,451
    They get paid, and we get entertained.

At some point when they don't make as much, they may stop playing, and we won't get entertained.

The band has changed/outgrown some of their initial ideals, but does that lessen the quality of their performances? As long as they continue to put on amazing performances, I am happy.