Options

PJ made $2 million just for MIA

Comments

• Options
    memememe Posts: 4,693
    meme wrote:
    Wow good for them!

I'm a little surprised only because this event was billed as a charity event for the United Way and usually artists give up part or all of their salary for the cause.

Then again maybe 2 million IS only a fraction of what they usually get paid for a festival.

Good point. So if they broke even United Way is not getting anything?

I found this, not sure what to make of it:

http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2012/0 ... -festival/

Oh, looks like they got a half million!

http://www.examiner.com/article/made-am ... united-way
    ... and the will to show I will always be better than before.
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,660
    As far as PJ losing their "against the man" ideals---when did they have firm ideals? They've always been anti-corporate ONLY up to the point that convenience would let them. They smartly caved into Ticketmaster because a) fans couldn't see them, but more importantly, b) they weren't making the touring revenue that bands of their rare level should be making. Some of those 1995-1996 shows they were practically building their own venue and losing half of their paychecks. They've depended on all kinds of corporations to make their millions.

Like i said, they have multiple homes, fancy cars, businesses, investments, etc. They can earn a few million a year with small tours and one-off paydays. All huge bands eventually slow down. That or they only do a big tour every five years with nothing in between. I'll take what i can get from them as a listener.
  • Options
    SpagsSpags Leigh-on-Sea, UK Posts: 2,984
    Anyways, mind your business!
    Nature drunk and High
  • Options
    teemanteeman Posts: 337
    cp3iverson wrote:
    teeman wrote:
    Cheesy, lame, sell out-ish. If it weren't, they'd mention the show on the website.

i think playing a gig where 15,000 middle-class workers get to see you for free is way more respectable than playing a show for some typical politician but that' s just me. Raking in the cash is way more rock'n'roll than making friends with politicians.

Neither one is "rock n roll"
  • Options
    if they got 2 from jay z ..oracle must be 5 minimum :lol:

im over it...when they come to ny ill go see them ....but i don't look forward to anything anymore

and the days of buying $35 t-shirts are long gone as are the trips to Hawaii to see them :fp:

if i knew how things would turn out..i wouldn't have gotten this pearl jam maui tattoo in 98 ....oh well ...thats why everyone needs to be careful with tats....
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • Options
    Thorns2010 wrote:
    Well, at least we now know the entity known as Pearl Jam is about money and nothing much else anymore.

Yes they work for the money, so what is the problem....you don't :fp:
    CAN'T KEEP CRAZY MARY IN MY TREE NO WAY NOT FOR YOU. ALL THOSE YESTERDAY JEREMY is ALONE, SAD with RATS & BUGS it's HARD TO IMAGINE a JEREMY a BETTER MAN.
    LIFE WASTED, BLOOD on the PORCH, LAST KISS is a WISHLIST DEEP DOWN NOTHING AS IT SEEMS WHY GO COME BACK ALIVE SPIN THE BLACK CIRCLE and SMILE.
  • Options
    JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    I don't see what the problem is. They are Pearl Jam. A highly popular rock band, and one of the best live shows in the world (I don't care if you are tired of some of the songs - they play the shit out of them and any show as a standalone entity is without fail, a quality event of musicianship). For people who have a problem with it, I would be interested to know what you think is a fair amount.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 88,783
    meme wrote:
    meme wrote:
    I found this, not sure what to make of it:

Oh, looks like they got a half million!

http://www.examiner.com/article/made-am ... united-way

I hope they get more.

August 31, 2012

“We know it’s going to be incredibly significant. I really do believe it will approach if not exceed a half a million dollars to this local community, this region.”
  • Options
    SolarWorldSolarWorld Posts: 1,902

im over it...when they come to ny ill go see them ....but i don't look forward to anything anymore

and the days of buying $35 t-shirts are long gone as are the trips to Hawaii to see them :fp:

if i knew how things would turn out..i wouldn't have gotten this pearl jam maui tattoo in 98 ....oh well ...thats why everyone needs to be careful with tats....

NOW I understand why you are here talking shit all the time... The tattoo! It all makes sense, why else would you go on a bands site you hate and talk shit everytime you get? Where did you get it? On your butt? :fp: Should have learned Dave's lesson...
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,451

Haven't you been over them for like 5 years already?
  • Options
    If I were JayZ, I'd pay 2 million for a side stage seat to the greatest band on the planet as well! They should have gotten 10!
    "It's so nice to hear that in other parts of the world, the stress- borne from envy- that one finds for themselves is the animosity they develop towards a person selling a box of records. How fortunate!" ~ Thirty Bills Unpaid

MLMF NYC
  • Options
    Tboz51Tboz51 Posts: 2,808
    i mean they have to split that 5 ways after they pay 'the help' so i mean yeah - its all relative -- the band down the street got 200 to play for an empty bar on a Wednesday

Ed gets 33% of the takes.
    "Honesty will always be construed as negative to a dumbass"
    :-)
  • Options
    2 million dollars is the exact amount paid to Jay-Z for two private shows for Khaddaffi's two sons wanted for war crimes against Libya... Well, one of the sons is dead now... So he won't answer for war crimes.

I wonder if Jay-Z didn't just forward over the two checks from the Khadaffi's?
  • Options
    Tboz51 wrote:
    2 million dollars is the exact amount paid to Jay-Z for two private shows for Khaddaffi's two sons wanted for war crimes against Libya... Well, one of the sons is dead now... So he won't answer for war crimes.

Phhhuleasee!!!

kadafi_and_obama.jpg
  • Options
    SolarWorld wrote:
    Tboz51 wrote:

Phhhuleasee!!!

kadafi_and_obama.jpg

Funny how things change so quickly.. He was still a tyrannical, murderous person in that photo...

We tolerate things in this country for our oil and evil interests well longer then most even know.
  • Options
    Tboz51 wrote:
    He was still a tyrannical, murderous person in that photo...

Yeah, you are right, Obama had started droning people when this photo was taken. :fp:
  • Options
    I went because I wanted to enjoy myself, which I did. I'm sure no one was forced to buy a ticket and go to the festival. Live with it, or move on if you're not happy !
  • Options
    SolarWorld wrote:
    Tboz51 wrote:
    He was still a tyrannical, murderous person in that photo...

Yeah, you are right, Obama had started droning people when this photo was taken. :fp:

This entire country looks the other way... When the oil is flowing... Obama is no better then anyone else. A wonderful photo opt for him at the time... 3 years later, not so much.

The post above is right... Go, have fun and ignore any problems in the world. It is a better way to live.
  • Options
    marcosmarcos Posts: 2,111
    JaneNY wrote:
    I don't see what the problem is. They are Pearl Jam. A highly popular rock band, and one of the best live shows in the world (I don't care if you are tired of some of the songs - they play the shit out of them and any show as a standalone entity is without fail, a quality event of musicianship). For people who have a problem with it, I would be interested to know what you think is a fair amount.

I agree; in fact I thought they should've been paid more, especially based on the performance.
  • Options
    SolarWorld wrote:
    Tboz51 wrote:

Phhhuleasee!!!

kadafi_and_obama.jpg

Thanks for that pic. I will change mine.

In related news to funny shit

WASHINGTON (AP) — President Barack Obama's re-election campaign is getting a boost from pop stars Beyonce and Jay-Z.

The superstar couple will hold a fundraiser with Obama on Tuesday at a swanky New York nightclub that Jay-Z owns.

Tickets are $40,000, but the campaign says a small donation lands a chance to win two tickets — airfare and hotel included.

Beyonce says in an email to Obama's supporters that she's a huge fan and will do whatever it takes to help him win a close race.

This isn't the first time the Obamas have teamed up with the A-list couple to promote each other's causes. Michelle Obama helped Beyonce with efforts to promote global humanitarianism, and the president appeared in a pre-recorded video earlier this month at a Jay-Z event in Philadelphia.
  • Options
    neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    edited September 2012
    SolarWorld wrote:

NOW I understand why you are here talking shit all the time... The tattoo! It all makes sense, why else would you go on a bands site you hate and talk shit everytime you get? Where did you get it? On your butt? :fp: Should have learned Dave's lesson...
    :?

settle down bevis....ive travled 10's of thousads of miles for the band i loved...
    they will always be in my heart ....but the excitement and super respect isn;t there anymore

ive been lucky enough to see 90 odd shows in their prime....i'am content

tat is a shark on a surfboard underneath it PEARL JAM MAUI 98
    Got it in Lahina as a permanent souvenier

GREAT TRIP..PJ WITH VOLCANOES AS A BACK DROP..not to mention the whole yield album back to back nights
    ...and a green mike pic
    Post edited by neilybabes86 on
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:

Haven't you been over them for like 5 years already?

not at all..traveled to seattle for backspacer tour ...and all 3 in nyc area..and of course the spectrum week
    past 1 1/2 years it has dropped off more and more each day..as soon as i heard alpine valley in FEB was their 20th year celebration(and nowhere else )

but like i said i will always see them in nyc

when i gave that news so early this solar dude has hated me ever since

imagine being hated for giving fans the info 3 months b4 it was offical...still don't get that :?
  • Options
    SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,951
    Tboz51 wrote:
    i mean they have to split that 5 ways after they pay 'the help' so i mean yeah - its all relative -- the band down the street got 200 to play for an empty bar on a Wednesday

Is this true? How do you know?
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
  • Options

settle down bevis.
    :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

but i think it's Beavis
  • Options
    SVRDhand13 wrote:
    Tboz51 wrote:

Go into itunes, download Alan Cross' Pearl Jam biography.

It is in orange and difficult to miss.

Listen to what he says about after Ten came out (I believe).

He was never sued for saying this...
  • Options

settle down bevis....ive travled 10's of thousads of miles for the band i loved...
    they will always be in my heart ....but the excitement and super respect isn;t there anymore

GREAT TRIP..PJ WITH VOLCANOES AS A BACK DROP..not to mention the whole yield album back to back nights
    ...and a green mike pic

sounds like an awesome trip.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,951
    Tboz51 wrote:
    SVRDhand13 wrote:
    Tboz51 wrote:

Hmmm, interesting stuff. Its good to be EV thats for sure.
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
  • Options

settle down bevis.
    :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

but i think it's Beavis

i spelt a few things wrong...that dude works me over every post becasue i came on here and said pj 20 was at alpine in FEB...he holds a grudge for that...so stupid

i gave early info to the members and he wigged out

anyway...settle down Beavis :mrgreen:
  • Options

...and a green mike pic

sounds like an awesome trip.

the best part is......i got the tickets from my brother for being his best man
    he went to maui on his honeymoon and the tickets happened to be going on sale when he was there
    so he gets back and hands the envelope to me and i open it and say'what am i gonna do with these?" lol
    he says" you're gonna go upstairs and book a trip to Maui" lmao

few weeks later then announced the 2nd show so i called the box office and said i need 2
    when i told the lady my address (nyc) she was like 'you're serious" :lol:

yes it was an awesome trip ...its not often you follow breaching whales to a pj show
  • Options
    100 Pacer100 Pacer Toronto, ON Posts: 8,665
    Tboz51 wrote:

Alan Cross is actually on good terms with Ed.
    To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

"Me knowing the truth, I can not concur."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore