Options

Why Do I Only Listen to PJ Now?

Comments

• Options
    dwhite76dwhite76 Posts: 2,801
    I was like that with Bowie for a long time. He was all I listened to, but then I somehow found PJ and branched out in a major way.

ps. Hi Don! :wave:

:D Hello my buddy up north :D
    Some words when spoken...Can't be taken back...
  • Options
    dwhite76dwhite76 Posts: 2,801
    81 wrote:
    outside of the odd song on the radio, i've not listened to pj in a several months

:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

TEN cries just for you :lol:
    Some words when spoken...Can't be taken back...
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,772
    I have the same "problem", Hugh. :lol:

Not only that, but it seems like every time I pick up a guitar I think "I should play that old favorite Neil Young song or one of those great Paul Westerberg song". Strum strum strum and the next thing you know it's back to Corduroy or I Am Mine or Hail Hail or something. It's a serious addiction. And I like it. :D
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    traceysimpsontraceysimpson Posts: 326
    Nodding my head in agreement... I have to say for the last 12 months, it's the only music I listen too :)
    Apparantly I'm freaking out my husband..but oh well it's the music that has the most meaning to me.....every band member is an amazing artist....musician, songwriter, poet....the whole package.... :D
    Sydney Ent Centre: 10/03/1995

All the rusted signs we ignore thoughout our lives
    Choosing the shiny ones instead
  • Options
    BLACK35BLACK35 Hanover, Ontario Posts: 22,492
    I've pretty much been listening to PJ and PJ only with some a.m. radio for years now. Finally decided a few weeks ago to just stop. I think its gonna make seeing them live in a few months simply that much more "epic"! (Just for 81) Been rediscovering a lot of good music that hasn't been played in awhile!

Thats me as well, except for the fact I'm not seeing them in a couple of months :cry:
    2005 - London
    2009 - Toronto
    2010 - Buffalo
    2011 - Toronto 1&2
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Cincinnati, St. Louis, Detroit
    2016 - Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Ottawa, Toronto 1
    2018 - Fenway 1&2
    2022 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2023 - Chicago 1&2
  • Options
    boyo79boyo79 Warrington, UK Posts: 6,525
    I even find myself loving Ole. :lol:

Its at this point I feel sorry for you ;)

I find myself just listening to the boots mostly in the last year or so
    2000: Manchester
    2006: Dublin; Leeds; Arnhem
    2007: London
    2009: Manchester
    2012: Manchester I & II : EV Manchester : Soundgarden Shepherds Bush
    2013: Brad Manchester : Soundgarden Manchester
    2014: Amsterdam I & II; Berlin; Leeds; Milton Keynes
    2018: Berlin; London II; Boston II

Bootleg Reviews: http://pjbootlegreviews.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,654
    edited May 2012
    I can see how it might happen. They really get inside and captivate! But I listen to a variety, and, because I think it's important to keep your mind open to variety, what I do is just put my mp3 player on shuffle and let it go, as well as close my eyes and pick vinyl randomly at home (I do listen to PJ Radio at work a lot too though). Since a good quarter if it is PJ, that gives me tons of them but tons of everything else as well, so I always get my PJ fix but get lots of other shit too. I also make a point if surfing YouTube every day and finding new music. I think every one from pearl jam would encourage you to listen to a variety of music and keep your mind open to it! It's what keeps them going! It's what keeps them open to new ideas about ... well, everything, I think. I find that my love of PJ stays strong because I appreciate other music as well. That's a big part of what they are all about!

I love so many artists, PJ is my fave band ever, and I'd never have to take a break from them, but my heart also lies with others - led zeppelin (second fave with a bullet), Jimi Hendrix, bob Dylan, fugazi, the black keys,modest mouse, blind melon, Alice in chains, sound garden, David Bowie, NIN, death cab for cutie, arcade fire, the killers, beck, muse, mastodon, radio head, gorillaz, Springsteen, Marilyn Manson, Lou reed, scissor Sisters, sonic youth, Ben Harper, Chris Cornell, jack Johnson, Franz Ferdinand, Leonard Cohen, iggy pop, mgmt, mother love bone, tres Mts,elton john, grenadine,foster the people, john Lennon, mud honey, GnR, Metallica, eminem, the white stripes, the doors, jamiroquai,foo fighter, .... this could go on for a while! .... seriously, the more different kinds of music a person listens to, I think,the more she comes to appreciate each and every song she hears. I think Pearl Jam would beg you to open up to more music, always! It makes life better! PJ music will always be there, but the time you spent blocking out everything else out there you can't get back! :)
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Meg8686Meg8686 Posts: 1,234
    Yes. I have it bad at the moment too

Today is a great example - im going to start my own business. I'm going self employed :D:D
    I'm a bit of a worrier and am rubbish under pressure, but i think I left that part of me behind after the out of body experience that was hard rock calling PJ live 2010. So yeaaaaaa today ive got to sort my life out

PJ influenced me to do this in the first place lols, so Ive been istening to PJ all morning, getting my confidence & energy up , i need all the help I can get. I listen to the lyrics and let the band kick my ass into shape. I only listen to PJ, can't help it, It's been going on for about 12 years & caused me no problems so far 8-)
    Sometimes I speak of nothing at all.
  • Options
    BLACK35BLACK35 Hanover, Ontario Posts: 22,492
    Meg8686 wrote:
    Yes. I have it bad at the moment too

Today is a great example - im going to start my own business. I'm going self employed :D:D
    I'm a bit of a worrier and am rubbish under pressure, but i think I left that part of me behind after the out of body experience that was hard rock calling PJ live 2010. So yeaaaaaa today ive got to sort my life out

PJ influenced me to do this in the first place lols, so Ive been istening to PJ all morning, getting my confidence & energy up , i need all the help I can get. I listen to the lyrics and let the band kick my ass into shape. I only listen to PJ, can't help it, It's been going on for about 12 years & caused me no problems so far 8-)

Good luck with your endeavor :D
    2005 - London
    2009 - Toronto
    2010 - Buffalo
    2011 - Toronto 1&2
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Cincinnati, St. Louis, Detroit
    2016 - Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Ottawa, Toronto 1
    2018 - Fenway 1&2
    2022 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2023 - Chicago 1&2
  • Options
    frazbafrazba Posts: 601
    dwhite76 wrote:
    I never could understand how any one can listen to anything but Pearl Jam. Yes other bands have great songs but no one has great albums that you dont get sick of like PJ does.

I have only listened to Pearl Jam since 1993.

Most other bands or music seems like they are just faking it or playing music just to be in front of the camera or on the radio to make money. Thats what turns me off from other groups. And the fact that Ed's voice is just so damn unique

Just curious as to how you know these things if what you say is true.
  • Options
    And....you really don't know what you're missing!!
  • Options
    stargirl69stargirl69 Posts: 6,387
    frazba wrote:
    dwhite76 wrote:
    I never could understand how any one can listen to anything but Pearl Jam. Yes other bands have great songs but no one has great albums that you dont get sick of like PJ does.

Most other bands or music seems like they are just faking it or playing music just to be in front of the camera or on the radio to make money. Thats what turns me off from other groups. And the fact that Ed's voice is just so damn unique

Agree.If what people here say is true that they only ever listen to Pearl Jam there are far more blinkered people here than I ever imagined.

Does no one who makes this statement realise what they are missing? There is a rich,diverse,beautiful culture of music out there for the taking,especially now with recommendations from others,free downloads,support acts.

Music is limitless,suck it and see and at least then if if you don't like it and you still say there is nothing out there like Pearl Jam then at least you tried it.
    “There should be a place where only the things you want to happen, happen”
  • Options
    I'm not going to lie and say I have an ecclectic taste in music. I don't. It's almost exclusively 90's alternative ish, but ever since the PJ20 movie came out, I have been listening to almost nothing but PJ and EV solo. All day at work, I'm listening to PJ. At home, I'm listening to PJ or watching PJ dvd's.

I have been a fan since 1992 and have never listened to just PJ exclusively. There was actually a time (around No Code) when I didn't listen to them at ALL. I was too young and stupid to appreciate its genius.

I used to listen to bands like QOTSA, White Stripes, Cage The Elephant, Blind Melon, etc etc. But now I put those on, and all I can think of is "this isn't as good as pearl jam" and I switch it.

Has this happened to anyone else recently?

Join the club sir. Not recent for me.
    -Chris
    Male, 34

I'm on Facebook - facebook.com/christopher.leesye1

1998 Brisbane 2
    2003 Brisbane 1
    2006 LA 1 & 2
    2008 LA 2, San Diego 1 (EV)
    2009 LA 1, 2, 3 & 4, San Diego
    2011 St. Louis (EV)
    2012 Tulsa 1 & 2 (EV)
    2013 Chicago, Dallas & OKC
  • Options
    stargirl69 wrote:
    frazba wrote:
    dwhite76 wrote:

Agree.If what people here say is true that they only ever listen to Pearl Jam there are far more blinkered people here than I ever imagined.

Does no one who makes this statement realise what they are missing? There is a rich,diverse,beautiful culture of music out there for the taking,especially now with recommendations from others,free downloads,support acts.

Music is limitless,suck it and see and at least then if if you don't like it and you still say there is nothing out there like Pearl Jam then at least you tried it.

:clap:
  • Options
    PJForceofNaturePJForceofNature Posts: 3,087
    Since I am a newbie (just discovered PJ in 2010), I feel like I have so much to catch up on. I am having a ball listening to a different boot every day! :D However, in spite of that, I do find myself also listening to other music that I enjoy-Springsteen, Neil Young, the Foos, Petty, Dylan, the Beatles, Wilco, Jackson Browne, and others.

When it comes down to it, though, no band or solo artist touches me emotionally the way PJ do, and when I am listening to PJ or EV solo, I experience a joy that I have never felt before! :D
    "A beacon on dry land"
  • Options
    ComeToTXComeToTX Austin Posts: 7,600
    PJ is my favorite band but there are probably 10-15 bands I listen to more often.

Also, I love going to concerts and they never tour. It would make it very hard to get my live fix if they were all I listened to.
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • Options
    cippociappocippociappo Posts: 692
    I have been through that in 2008/2009... every time I listened to something different from Pearl Jam I used to think "this is not as good as PJ", and most probably I was listening to PJ 10 minutes later.
    Sometimes it felt like a physical need... like a drug or something.

THANK GOD I got over it. Now I listen to a fair amount of Pearl Jam, but I got back to listening to other bands I love (Queen, The Beatles, Radiohead are just few examples) but most importantly... cutting down my "PJ consumption" brought me to discover a ton of new music (or, well, new for me)... Arcade Fire, The National, NEIL YOUNG.

To the OP... I hope you'll get past it, but for the moment just enjoy your Pearl Jam overdose. One day... I guess... you'll feel the need for a change :)
    Makes me ache, makes me shake...
    ...is it so wrong to think that love can keep us safe?
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,559
    edited May 2012
    I have been through that in 2008/2009... every time I listened to something different from Pearl Jam I used to think "this is not as good as PJ", and most probably I was listening to PJ 10 minutes later.
    Sometimes it felt like a physical need... like a drug or something.

THANK GOD I got over it. Now I listen to a fair amount of Pearl Jam, but I got back to listening to other bands I love (Queen, The Beatles, Radiohead are just few examples) but most importantly... cutting down my "PJ consumption" brought me to discover a ton of new music (or, well, new for me)... Arcade Fire, The National, NEIL YOUNG.

To the OP... I hope you'll get past it, but for the moment just enjoy your Pearl Jam overdose. One day... I guess... you'll feel the need for a change :)

Nice post.

Does Pearl Jam listen only to Pearl Jam? Nope, so why should we? The whole excuse that there is nothing as great as Pearl Jam out there and that the new bands are terrible is crazy. First, you will need to explain to me how the last three records (Riot Act, Avocado and Backspacer) are that much better than anything else from other bands.

But....if people enjoy Pearl Jam that much and are satisfied listening to all the time, then good for them.

P.S. - If there is any artist to listen to exclusively it is Bruce Springsteen. He re-works just about every one of his songs and keeps them fresh live. His songs age better as well.
    Post edited by bootlegger10 on
  • Options
    jervin007jervin007 Posts: 3,181
    81 wrote:
    outside of the odd song on the radio, i've not listened to pj in a several months

Right there with you.
    PJ:
    2003 Mansfield: July 2
    2004 Boston: Sept 28 & 29
    2005 Montreal: Sept 15
    2006 Boston: May 24 & 25
    2008 Hartford: June 27, Mansfield: June 28,
    2010 Boston: May 17
    2013 Worcester: Oct 15, Hartford: Oct 25,
    2016 Hampton: April 18, Raleigh: April 20 (cancelled), Columbia: April 21. Quebec: May 5. Boston (Fenway): August 7

EV Solo: Boston 8/2/08, Boston 6/16/11
  • Options
    frazba wrote:
    dwhite76 wrote:

That's what I was wondering... do you perhaps base this theory on what you hear on some shitty radio station once in a while?? I recommend that you get onto YouTube and start discovering what's really out there. A good way to ease yourself in is to start with PJ vids, and then start listening to those vids related vids that aren't PJ, and then do the same with those vids, and so on. Very soon you'll have discovered incredible musical diversity that you could never find on the radio! Most radio usually just plays commercial crap and doesn't reflect what's out there. YouTube is a great way to go on a crazily diverse music trip!
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options

Nice post.

Does Pearl Jam listen only to Pearl Jam? Nope, so why should we? The whole excuse that there is nothing as great as Pearl Jam out there and that the new bands are terrible is crazy. First, you will need to explain to me how the last three records (Riot Act, Avocado and Backspacer) are that much better than anything else from other bands.

But....if people enjoy Pearl Jam that much and are satisfied listening to all the time, then good for them.

P.S. - If there is any artist to listen to exclusively it is Bruce Springsteen. He re-works just about every one of his songs and keeps them fresh live. His songs age better as well.
    I happen to think that Riot Act, Avacado, and Backspacer are awesome! :) there is no band or musician that should beistened to exclusively. If someone put a gun to my head and said I have to do that forever, I might just let him shoot me.
  • Options
    I really was NOT expecting all the negativity and judgment in this thread. Look, I listen to a LOT of bands. This has only been the case for me in the past few weeks. It's not 100% of the time. But a good 75% I'd say.

But if it was 100% like some others have said, who are you to judge what they like to listen to in their free time? Jesus people, get a grip. Go to the train if you want to bicker and judge others.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    I really was NOT expecting all the negativity and judgment in this thread. Look, I listen to a LOT of bands. This has only been the case for me in the past few weeks. It's not 100% of the time. But a good 75% I'd say.

But if it was 100% like some others have said, who are you to judge what they like to listen to in their free time? Jesus people, get a grip. Go to the train if you want to bicker and judge others.
    Oh, Hugh man, I don't know about the others, but I didn't think most of these posts are negative. I more read them as just opinions about how a diversity in music is great, and them just trying to encourage branching out. That's certaiy how I meant my posts; sorry if they came across like that to you. ... and I don't know if I recall any bickering,
    bt I guess that might be a matter of perspective.
    Discussion boards are weird that way. I've been reading it as though the tone is basically friendly, while you're seeing the opposite. ... I admit I hope I'm right this time. ;)
  • Options

I don't think people are judging you or others, we are just kind of amazed that people think that there is no other good music beside Pearl Jam. If there is one thing I've leared after 17 years of listening to Pearl Jam, is that there are a lot better musicians out there than Pearl Jam. Collectively Pearl Jam is special, but there are a lot of really, really talented musicians out there that are worth listening to. I think people buy into a lie that only Pearl Jam has integrity for the music, and that is just plain wrong.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul wrote:

Nice post.

I happen to think that Riot Act, Avacado, and Backspacer are awesome! :) there is no band or musician that should beistened to exclusively. If someone put a gun to my head and said I have to do that forever, I might just let him shoot me.

They are awesome albums, but in the grand scheme of albums released in the last decade, I don't think they are remotely part of the best 100 albums of the decade. They are too SAFE. Pearl Jam needs to take risks, which is why I think some people don't listen to the band as much anymore, but still post on this board and go to the lives shows.
  • Options
    youngsteryoungster Boston Posts: 6,574
    I go through on and off's with Pearl Jam. Right now I am in an "off mode". Haven't listened to any boots or albums since about February. Before that I think I burned through my entire vinyl collection, singles included, and the entire 09 and 10 box set of boots. For me it's healthy to give it a break for awhile. When I do get back to listening again it will be fresh and exciting again.

Right now I am in 100% Chili Peppers mode in preparation of seeing them live Monday night. By the way (no pun intended) Live in Hyde Park is an unbelievable live album. Up there with the best.
    He who forgets will be destined to remember.

9/29/04 Boston, 6/28/08 Mansfield, 8/23/09 Chicago, 5/15/10 Hartford
    5/17/10 Boston, 10/15/13 Worcester, 10/16/13 Worcester, 10/25/13 Hartford
    8/5/16 Fenway, 8/7/16 Fenway
    EV Solo: 6/16/11 Boston, 6/18/11 Hartford,
  • Options
    mustbechrismustbechris Posts: 228
    I sort of spend my life in a perpetual cycle of exclusively listening to one of Pearl Jam, Bruce Springsteen, or The Roots for like months at a time.
    Speaking as a child of the 90's
  • Options
    PJ_Soul wrote:

Nice post.

They are awesome albums, but in the grand scheme of albums released in the last decade, I don't think they are remotely part of the best 100 albums of the decade. They are too SAFE. Pearl Jam needs to take risks, which is why I think some people don't listen to the band as much anymore, but still post on this board and go to the lives shows.
    Well I'm not one of those people. I think they're amazing albums, and I think PJ does take risks, and THAT'S why some people moved off their music in the past decade.:)
  • Options
    Well, I guess Eddie Vedder releasing an all ukulule album is taking a risk. But as for Pearl Jam, I think they've been on cruise control for 10 years now and do enough to release good albums, but not great ones. Mike's soloing has been marginalized to the point where it is non-existant.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    Oh, Hugh man, I don't know about the others, but I didn't think most of these posts are negative. I more read them as just opinions about how a diversity in music is great, and them just trying to encourage branching out. That's certaiy how I meant my posts; sorry if they came across like that to you. ... and I don't know if I recall any bickering,
    bt I guess that might be a matter of perspective.
    Discussion boards are weird that way. I've been reading it as though the tone is basically friendly, while you're seeing the opposite. ... I admit I hope I'm right this time. ;)

there were a few passive aggressive comments saying "I feel sad for you". those are the ones I was referring to.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014