Options

Why Do I Only Listen to PJ Now?

Hugh Freaking DillonHugh Freaking Dillon Posts: 14,010
edited June 2012 in The Porch
I'm not going to lie and say I have an ecclectic taste in music. I don't. It's almost exclusively 90's alternative ish, but ever since the PJ20 movie came out, I have been listening to almost nothing but PJ and EV solo. All day at work, I'm listening to PJ. At home, I'm listening to PJ or watching PJ dvd's.

I have been a fan since 1992 and have never listened to just PJ exclusively. There was actually a time (around No Code) when I didn't listen to them at ALL. I was too young and stupid to appreciate its genius.

I used to listen to bands like QOTSA, White Stripes, Cage The Elephant, Blind Melon, etc etc. But now I put those on, and all I can think of is "this isn't as good as pearl jam" and I switch it.

Has this happened to anyone else recently?
Gimli 1993
Fargo 2003
Winnipeg 2005
Winnipeg 2011
St. Paul 2014
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    mookieb10mookieb10 Posts: 930
    Its the only music that means anything...
  • Options
    I even find myself loving Ole. :lol:
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    PJStatTrackerPJStatTracker Posts: 2,400
    comes and goes in waves for me. Right now I haven't been listening to much PJ at all and have been digging through Pulp's back catalog.
    Download the unofficial <a href="http://bit.ly/PJStatTracker">Pearl Jam Stat Tracker</a> app for iPhone/iPad. It's <em>FREE.</em>

PM me with any comments or suggestions for the app - or weigh in <a href="http://forums.pearljam.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=167611
    ">here</a>.
    or
    <a href="http://www.facebook.com/pjstattracker">Join the discussion on facebook</a>

• Options
    I'm a TruckI'm a Truck Milwaukee Posts: 3,508
    edited May 2012
    I've pretty much been listening to PJ and PJ only with some a.m. radio for years now. Finally decided a few weeks ago to just stop. I think its gonna make seeing them live in a few months simply that much more "epic"! (Just for 81) Been rediscovering a lot of good music that hasn't been played in awhile!
    Post edited by I'm a Truck on
  • Options
    100 Pacer100 Pacer Toronto, ON Posts: 8,616
    edited May 2012
    Nothing better than a break from PJ every now and then for some QOTSA, the Strokes, Band of Horses, Sonic Youth, My Morning Jacket, Brad, the White Stripes, etc.
    To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

"Me knowing the truth, I can not concur."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,413
    mookieb10 wrote:
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    iOnlyownMymindiOnlyownMymind Posts: 2,579
    Wow. I feel bad for you. Only one band out of thousands and thousands appeals to you? I'm not really quite sure what to say to that. Go to your local pub and listen to a local band and support them. There's so much good music that most people never hear because they never make it big. I guess I just don't understand how a person can exclusively listen to one band. Thats kind of like watching only one movie and nothing else.
  • Options
    mookieb10 wrote:

really?
  • Options
    100 Pacer100 Pacer Toronto, ON Posts: 8,616
    mookieb10 wrote:

really?

:fp:
    To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

"Me knowing the truth, I can not concur."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore
  • Options
    mookieb10mookieb10 Posts: 930
    mookieb10 wrote:

really?

On a consistent basis... Yes, pj expresses my happiness more clearly than i can in my own words... The express my pains, sadness, hardships and triumphs better than i can too. Others bands might do one or the other, but it seems like most of the music pj puts out, expresses me better than i express me...
  • Options
    LiLiNY81LiLiNY81 Posts: 775
    I'm not going to lie and say I have an ecclectic taste in music. I don't. It's almost exclusively 90's alternative ish, but ever since the PJ20 movie came out, I have been listening to almost nothing but PJ and EV solo. All day at work, I'm listening to PJ. At home, I'm listening to PJ or watching PJ dvd's.

I have been a fan since 1992 and have never listened to just PJ exclusively. There was actually a time (around No Code) when I didn't listen to them at ALL. I was too young and stupid to appreciate its genius.

I used to listen to bands like QOTSA, White Stripes, Cage The Elephant, Blind Melon, etc etc. But now I put those on, and all I can think of is "this isn't as good as pearl jam" and I switch it.

Uh yeah, ME! Ever since PJ20, they won't get out of my damn head! I've been listening to them non-stop, joined this lovely "family," and just can't get enough PJ! There's gotta be some sort of hypnotic message type of thing in their music, I tell ya. Conspiracy! *cue X-Files theme* :lol:
    "Now YOU listen. When we are on this ship, you are to refer to me as 'Idiot' not 'You Captain'!"
    saldoubledutchgif_zps889c30d5.gif
  • Options
    mookieb10 wrote:

On a consistent basis... Yes, pj expresses my happiness more clearly than i can in my own words... The express my pains, sadness, hardships and triumphs better than i can too. Others bands might do one or the other, but it seems like most of the music pj puts out, expresses me better than i express me...

When you put it that way I understand, but saying PJ is the only band that means anything makes no sense.
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,413
    mookieb10 wrote:

really?
    Pinky Swear
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    danisdanis Posts: 58
    mookieb10 wrote:

really?

Yep! Pretty much.
  • Options
    The bands I listen to on a VERY consistent basis are of course PJ (ever since I began listening my freshman year in high school), Talking Heads, Wilco, Grateful Dead, Janes Addiction, Pixies, Man Man and Modest Mouse.

I love music too much to only listen to Pearl Jam. I will admit I do listen to boots most of the time when I'm not listening to Joe Rogan's podcast or O and A.
  • Options
    rollingsrollings unknown Posts: 7,124

The answer to the post title is "because they are that good"

The answer to your last question is "No".
    Since about 2003 (holy shit I say to myself) I have been listening almost entirely exclusively to Pearl Jam. I guess i skipped over the "too stupid to appreciate its genius" stage--I'm just razzing you a little bit on that one.
  • Options
    musicismylife78musicismylife78 Posts: 6,116
    Wow. I feel bad for you. Only one band out of thousands and thousands appeals to you? I'm not really quite sure what to say to that. Go to your local pub and listen to a local band and support them. There's so much good music that most people never hear because they never make it big. I guess I just don't understand how a person can exclusively listen to one band. Thats kind of like watching only one movie and nothing else.

i hear you. but it also comes in other forms as well. people who only listen to one genre, they only like rock, or only like hip hop. Or people who dislike an entire genre, "i dont like country music".

i can see getting into a band, and really getting into their catalogue but only listening to that one band or that one genre and not listening to anything else, ever? I dont know about that.

i volunteer at a local venue, have for 4 years now. And theres been a few years where i didnt get to many concerts, but there has also been times, ive gone to every single show at the venue. i once did 12 straight consecutive nights of concerts. An awesome part of it, is the fact im exposed to so many different types of music. Tonight they have blues. Ive seen gypsy music in the past. Hip hop. Folk. Opera. Dubstep. Electronic. Reggae. I think its good to have that variety in there. There are SO MANY great genres and artists out there. Theres no denying the importance of PJ and Eddie, and 90's music, but theres a hell of alot both prior to 1990, and in 2012 thats worth checking out
  • Options

I feel bad for someone who doesn't know how to read. I own about 400 cd's and have about 100 gigs of music on my pc. I'm talking about RECENTLY. but thanks for being a negative nancy.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    musicismylife78musicismylife78 Posts: 6,116
    However your OP does bring up a good point ive been pondering a long while. In the age of downloading, and i tunes, and filesharing, its so easy to get into a band then get a tip about another band that week and move onto that band and so on. I think its rare for people in our generation and the younger generation to spend much time with an album or an artist. Plus they most likely dont even have the album, they have a few songs from itunes, or they have the album, uploaded it on their computer and recycled the songs they disliked. I used to spend a ton of time listening to 90's music, in the 90's of course, because the radio and mtv was all we had to access music, and i was a kid and couldnt afford many if any albums. Nowadays, theres just SO MUCH to listen to. And its all for free. Dylan or Neil Youngs entire catalogue, which would cost hundreds if not thousands of dollars, can be gotten for free online. And so many blogs. One blog may be into hip hop, another folk, another indie, another pop etc...
  • Options
    KnZiE94KnZiE94 Posts: 158
    I'm the same the way. I pretty much only listen to them or something Pearl Jam related!
    BRAD- April 21, 2012 Seattle, WA
    BRAD- April 27, 2012 Seattle, WA

Pearl Jam- September 30, 2012 Missoula, MT
    Pearl Jam- November 30, 2013 Spokane, WA
    Pearl Jam- December 6, 2013 Seattle WA
  • Options
    cent208cent208 Posts: 435
    I am pretty much in the same boat as you. I just about only listen to pj and Ed solo. I guess now that I am 32 and a little older I appreciate and understand the deeper meaning of the songs.
    "The pain is temporary the pride is forever."
  • Options
    vant0037vant0037 Posts: 6,082
    I even find myself loving Ole. :lol:

Fucking LOVE Ole. So good. Haha.
    1998-06-30 Minneapolis
    2003-06-16 St. Paul
    2006-06-26 St. Paul
    2007-08-05 Chicago
    2009-08-23 Chicago
    2009-08-28 San Francisco
    2010-05-01 NOLA (Jazz Fest)
    2011-07-02 EV Minneapolis
    2011-09-03 PJ20
    2011-09-04 PJ20
    2011-09-17 Winnipeg
    2012-06-26 Amsterdam
    2012-06-27 Amsterdam
    2013-07-19 Wrigley
    2013-11-21 San Diego
    2013-11-23 Los Angeles
    2013-11-24 Los Angeles
    2014-07-08 Leeds, UK
    2014-07-11 Milton Keynes, UK
    2014-10-09 Lincoln
    2014-10-19 St. Paul
    2014-10-20 Milwaukee
    2016-08-20 Wrigley 1
    2016-08-22 Wrigley 2
    2018-06-18 London 1
    2018-08-18 Wrigley 1
    2018-08-20 Wrigley 2
    2022-09-16 Nashville
    2023-08-31 St. Paul
    2023-09-02 St. Paul
    2023-09-05 Chicago 1
  • Options
    kdizzle.deliokdizzle.delio Posts: 292
    I've become somewhat of the same, although every once in a while I mix it up but for the most part all I've listened to is PJ. It might have something to do with since I got my box sets I've been going through them in alphabetical order, just finished 2009, now I'm starting to work on 2010. Just waiting for them to release the 2011 box set so I can order it and hopefully get it before im done 2010.
    "I want to Rock & Roll all night, and part of everyday"
    Sept.11/05 Kitchener, Ontario
    May 10/10 Buffalo, New York
    Sept.11 & Sept 12/2011, Toronto, Ontario
    Sept. 15/11 Hamilton, Ontario
    Oct. 12/13 Buffalo, New York
    Oct 16/14 Detroit, Michigan
    May 10/16 Toronto, Ontario
  • Options
    I happens occasionally for me. Some weeks I will listen to a Pearl Jam song or two a day and other weeks I'll listen to nothing but. I used to be afraid that I would burn out on them so I'd force myself to listen to other music. That never worked and usually would stop listening half way through a song. Now I just listen to whatever I feel like no matter what it is. If it's PJ for a month straight, fine. If it's something else, fine.
  • Options
    DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    Pretty much I listen to PJ. Been that way for about five years. I mix in some older rock stuff but the new shit on the radio has lost me.
  • Options
    dwhite76dwhite76 Posts: 2,801
    I must be retarded or just to into the sports world of being loyal to only one team. I never could understand how any one can listen to anything but Pearl Jam. Yes other bands have great songs but no one has great albums that you dont get sick of like PJ does.

I think its Eddies voice and the way the guys gel togeather. Ed uses his voice as an instrument like none other. I know Im a little off track now but I have only listened to Pearl Jam since 1993. Ive heard songs on the radio of other groups but I have never bought any other albums but PJ or EV :D

Some thing about how PJ tells stories with their music. Most other bands or music seems like they are just faking it or playing music just to be in front of the camera or on the radio to make money. Thats what turns me off from other groups. And the fact that Ed's voice is just so damn unique
    Some words when spoken...Can't be taken back...
  • Options
    dwhite76dwhite76 Posts: 2,801

WOW maybe its what people like. Just one band, one sound, one way. I mean gee I only own my mind :lol:
    Some words when spoken...Can't be taken back...
  • Options
    curlygirly9curlygirly9 Vancouver, WA Posts: 1,872
    I was like that with Bowie for a long time. He was all I listened to, but then I somehow found PJ and branched out in a major way.

ps. Hi Don! :wave:
    Rose Garden Arena - Nov 02, 2000, Key Arena - Oct 22, 2001, Key Arena - Dec 08, 2002, Key Arena - Dec 09, 2002, Clark County Amphitheater - Sep 26, 2009
  • Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    outside of the odd song on the radio, i've not listened to pj in a several months
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    Haven't listened to them in a while. I'll pop on a bootleg now and then. Wanted to give them a break for now.

Lately, I've been listening to The Black Keys, Wilco, The Rolling Stones, Billy Joel, Foo Fighters and I always throw on a Bruce Springsteen album.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful