Options

Why Do I Only Listen to PJ Now?

Comments

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,683
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    Oh, Hugh man, I don't know about the others, but I didn't think most of these posts are negative. I more read them as just opinions about how a diversity in music is great, and them just trying to encourage branching out. That's certaiy how I meant my posts; sorry if they came across like that to you. ... and I don't know if I recall any bickering,
    bt I guess that might be a matter of perspective.
    Discussion boards are weird that way. I've been reading it as though the tone is basically friendly, while you're seeing the opposite. ... I admit I hope I'm right this time. ;)

there were a few passive aggressive comments saying "I feel sad for you". those are the ones I was referring to.
    Yeah, I'll agree with you there... I hate when people say that phrase. So condescending. Drives me nuts.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    MyluckyhandMyluckyhand Auckland New Zealand Posts: 103
    I've pretty much been listening to PJ and PJ only with some a.m. radio for years now. Finally decided a few weeks ago to just stop. I think its gonna make seeing them live in a few months simply that much more "epic"! (Just for 81) Been rediscovering a lot of good music that hasn't been played in awhile!

I to have made the decision to take a break (you start to wonder if it's becoming unhealthy!!) all be it a week off but in that time I rediscovered my love for Peeping Tom and Mr Bungle, imagine Mike Patton and Ed doing something together, it would either the best thing ever or EPIC fail!!
  • Options
    iOnlyownMymindiOnlyownMymind Posts: 2,579
    edited May 2012
    Maybe I should have instead said that I hope you can rediscover other great bands again because PJ is surely not the only. Sorry that you became greatly offended by it.
    Post edited by iOnlyownMymind on
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,801
    I agree with those who say that listening to a variety of music is great if that's what turns you on. But at the bottom line is each of us hears what we want to hear and if listening to the same genre or the same band or even the same song over and over rolls you socks I say, go for it. I don't see good or bad either way.

I will say that after living through and listening to and watching six decades of rock and roll, Pearl Jam resides in that part of my brain that only a few others occupy.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    kellanazziekellanazzie Posts: 1,484
    brianlux wrote:
    I agree with those who say that listening to a variety of music is great if that's what turns you on. But at the bottom line is each of us hears what we want to hear and if listening to the same genre or the same band or even the same song over and over rolls you socks I say, go for it. I don't see good or bad either way.

I will say that after living through and listening to and watching six decades of rock and roll, Pearl Jam resides in that part of my brain that only a few others occupy.
    :clap: Very well said. I'm also right there with the OP at the moment, immersed in a predilection for all that is PJ & friends. And I'm right where I wanna be. There was a time when my taste ran to Zeppelin only, to Alannis only, the Beatles only, a time when I travelled the gamut of musical genres, I enjoy scoping Youtube or Itunes or taking a listen to a band someone else mentions (recently found The Mayfield Four this way) It fascinates me how different people are in their taste for food, travels, hobbies & music, and they are never wrong, just different. I keep thinking, "slow down with the Pearl Jam woman!! You'll tire of them" But then I think, "Well, why?" Makes me happy & in a world which chooses not to leave one alone at times ;) , its a gift to be happy. Carry on OP!!
  • Options
    I don't think people are judging you or others, we are just kind of amazed that people think that there is no other good music beside Pearl Jam. If there is one thing I've leared after 17 years of listening to Pearl Jam, is that there are a lot better musicians out there than Pearl Jam. Collectively Pearl Jam is special, but there are a lot of really, really talented musicians out there that are worth listening to. I think people buy into a lie that only Pearl Jam has integrity for the music, and that is just plain wrong.

I don't care about musicianship. if I did I'd listen to Steve Vai. I just care about the songs. Do they speak to me? there is no other band out there to me that speaks to me like they do. Maybe I'm just having a harder time in life than I have had in the past and that's why I'm gravitating towards the band that eases my mind and heart. I don't know. I love QOTSA. I love Jack White. I love Black Mountain. I love The Headstones. I love a lot of bands. But I don't get the same emotional component from other bands that I get from PJ and Ed. Ed solo live in Minneapolis for me like was a christian going to the vatican. I nearly wept. it was surreal to me. Besides the obvious (kids, wedding, etc), it was the best night of my life. Same when I saw PJ in Fargo in 2003. I hadn't seen them since 1993 in Gimli, and as soon as Arc started, a tear streamed down my cheek.

I have never even come close to being that invested in another artist. But I have no control over it. It just IS.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    I don't think people are judging you or others, we are just kind of amazed that people think that there is no other good music beside Pearl Jam. If there is one thing I've leared after 17 years of listening to Pearl Jam, is that there are a lot better musicians out there than Pearl Jam. Collectively Pearl Jam is special, but there are a lot of really, really talented musicians out there that are worth listening to. I think people buy into a lie that only Pearl Jam has integrity for the music, and that is just plain wrong.

I don't care about musicianship. if I did I'd listen to Steve Vai. I just care about the songs. Do they speak to me? there is no other band out there to me that speaks to me like they do. Maybe I'm just having a harder time in life than I have had in the past and that's why I'm gravitating towards the band that eases my mind and heart. I don't know. I love QOTSA. I love Jack White. I love Black Mountain. I love The Headstones. I love a lot of bands. But I don't get the same emotional component from other bands that I get from PJ and Ed. Ed solo live in Minneapolis for me like was a christian going to the vatican. I nearly wept. it was surreal to me. Besides the obvious (kids, wedding, etc), it was the best night of my life. Same when I saw PJ in Fargo in 2003. I hadn't seen them since 1993 in Gimli, and as soon as Arc started, a tear streamed down my cheek.

I have never even come close to being that invested in another artist. But I have no control over it. It just IS.

This very much makes sense to me, Hugh!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,593

I'm just testing your faith in Pearl Jam. Ha. You are a strong one.

I think I was more talking about fans who ONLY listen to Pearl Jam for years and believe that all new music is bad.

I drove through Fargo this year on my way to Winnipeg for the Canada tour and can't imagine seeing Pearl Jam there. Must have been awesome.
  • Options
    stargirl69stargirl69 Posts: 6,387
    I really was NOT expecting all the negativity and judgment in this thread. Look, I listen to a LOT of bands. This has only been the case for me in the past few weeks. It's not 100% of the time. But a good 75% I'd say.

But if it was 100% like some others have said, who are you to judge what they like to listen to in their free time? Jesus people, get a grip. Go to the train if you want to bicker and judge others.

Oh come on man,people are just sharing opinions,no one is judging,most just find it interesting that there are many who are claiming they are a Pearl Jam zone only.

I just can't see the need for music limits is all the point I am making.
    “There should be a place where only the things you want to happen, happen”
  • Options
    musicismylife78musicismylife78 Posts: 6,116
    as i said, i can understand getting deeply into a bands dischography and exploring for awhile, but yeah, there is just so much other music. we all have favorite bands and songs. but to only be confined to one band and one genre? part of what makes art, in any medium so cool and important is how varied and different it can get. Some days i want to listen to bruce, other days radiohead, some days i want to hear the xx, other days biggie. To be boxed in to one band or one genre, i just think is boring. As i said, in 2012, getting to really explore an album in totality is a luxury few people seem to engage in. Often its a week with a new band, then off to something else.

but my tastes have always been eclectic. Im known on here as the indie guy, but i love every genre. i think there is just so many things to be inspired by. i'd rather not limit myself. i want to be inspired by it all, not just one band and one style of music
  • Options
    mysticweedmysticweed Posts: 3,710
    Pearl Jam
    the only band that (still) matters!
    fuck 'em if they can't take a joke

"what a long, strange trip it's been"
  • Options
    Well, I guess Eddie Vedder releasing an all ukulule album is taking a risk. But as for Pearl Jam, I think they've been on cruise control for 10 years now and do enough to release good albums, but not great ones. Mike's soloing has been marginalized to the point where it is non-existant.
    Well, I have to thank you, because our conversation made me listen to Riot Act from start to finish for the first time in quite a while, and it reminded me of how totally amazing it is!! Risks up the ying yang if you ask me! :D One of my faves!
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Well, I guess Eddie Vedder releasing an all ukulule album is taking a risk. But as for Pearl Jam, I think they've been on cruise control for 10 years now and do enough to release good albums, but not great ones. Mike's soloing has been marginalized to the point where it is non-existant.

I think that Backspacer was a BIG risk for them in terms of turning off their current fanbase. And any time you release anything political it's a huge risk as well.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    Well, I have to thank you, because our conversation made me listen to Riot Act from start to finish for the first time in quite a while, and it reminded me of how totally amazing it is!! Risks up the ying yang if you ask me! :D One of my faves!

how funny, I listened to it today front to back myself, and I loved it.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    PJ_Soul wrote:

how funny, I listened to it today front to back myself, and I loved it.

When I first saw your thread here, Hugh, the thought came into my mind, "Why do I only listen to Riot Act now?" Not quite true but I do listen to it a lot these days.

• Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,593

I think that Backspacer was a BIG risk for them in terms of turning off their current fanbase. And any time you release anything political it's a huge risk as well.

I think we agree that Pearl Jam is awesome, and that the albums released in the 2000's are good to great.

When talking about risk taking, I'm talking about U2 switching gears from Joshua Tree to Auchtung Baby, or releasing Zooropa and Pop. U2 took a risk and flopped with Zooropa and Pop, but hit a huge home run on Auchtung Baby. Pearl Jam took a step towards the mainstream with Backspacer, so I don't know how risky it was. For probably the first time since Vs. the band made sure they had radio hits on their record. I wouldn't mind a huge flop with PJ's next record if it meant only that they were trying something new. I like what they released in the 2000's but I'll like anything they do for the most part. It doesn't mean it is great though or pushing the boundaries of their genre (which goes to my main argument that there are plenty of bands worth listening to in the 2000's that are trying new things and pushing music forward).

Is going poitical really that risky? Except for the Dixie Chicks, I think going political helps artists (if anything it gives them publicity like PJ in Denver 2003). PJ knows their audience. The 2004 VFC tour was with Bruce SPringsteen, REM, and Neil Young. If going political was risky then you wouldn't have every popular group at the time on the bill for the VFC tour. Now , if you are going for the pop crown, you shouldn't go political.

Certainly no risk taking in touring the last 6 years. Just saying the band seems to be okay with what they are doing and not rocking the boat too much.
  • Options
    dwhite76dwhite76 Posts: 2,801
    stargirl69 wrote:
    frazba wrote:
    dwhite76 wrote:
    I never could understand how any one can listen to anything but Pearl Jam. Yes other bands have great songs but no one has great albums that you dont get sick of like PJ does.

I have only listened to Pearl Jam since 1993.

Most other bands or music seems like they are just faking it or playing music just to be in front of the camera or on the radio to make money. Thats what turns me off from other groups. And the fact that Ed's voice is just so damn unique

Just curious as to how you know these things if what you say is true.

Agree.If what people here say is true that they only ever listen to Pearl Jam there are far more blinkered people here than I ever imagined.

Does no one who makes this statement realise what they are missing? There is a rich,diverse,beautiful culture of music out there for the taking,especially now with recommendations from others,free downloads,support acts.

Music is limitless,suck it and see and at least then if if you don't like it and you still say there is nothing out there like Pearl Jam then at least you tried it.

I have listened to other music. Most dont interest me. Im not a person who puts his time and love into a band only to have them break up after their 2nd album.

So I guess music does have a limit. I just was lucky enough to have found PJ and they lasted 20+ years. :D

I have been into sports my whole life growing up. I never had time for music other than radio. I moved away from home at 18. I bought a cd player and a hand full of cd's. I played them and the only one that spoke to me and had a different sound each and every song was TEN. I just love Eds unique voice. He uses it as an instrument. Not just to spit hot air.

Sorry you feel Im missing out but Pearl Jam has provided me more than enough different music to last a life time. :D
    Some words when spoken...Can't be taken back...
  • Options
    one more note. I need to believe that the band actualy means and cares about what they are playing. I know its tough for bands to stay togeather. Like Eddie said " You know how hard it is to get 5 guys to order a pizza?" So thats why I feel lucky to have actualy found a band that stuck togeather and has been loyal through it all. :D
  • Options
    Just saying the band seems to be okay with what they are doing and not rocking the boat too much.

I think the big difference here though is U2 has a MASSIVE mainstream following, where most people who listen to generic rock radio say "Pearl Jam are still together?".

So I say that goign pop is a big risk for a band like Pearl jam since most of their fans are ones like us and people who know Ten and VS and Betterman. Alienating your core is always risky.

but if you are talking about something like U2's Pop, yeah, that was a massive risk and it was even bigger flop. I don't think you'll ever see PJ switching gears like that musically, and I hope they don't. I mean, a band like U2 are huge, but they are very deliberate in what they want to do. They say "let's try to do Joshua again", and they tried with ATYCLB. They say "let's try a dance record", and they did with Pop. I'm not tooting the "musical integrity" horn on this, but I just can't see PJ saying "let's do a Ramones record". Because from what we've seen so far, I don't think they COULD do that (and I'm glad).

I think No Code is about as risky as you're ever going to see from this band. Ed is way too normal now to do anything like that again.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    All this PJ talk got me to listen to them today. Listening to the Buenos Aires show from last year. Thanks Hugh! :D
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • Options
    Newch91 wrote:
    All this PJ talk got me to listen to them today. Listening to the Buenos Aires show from last year. Thanks Hugh! :D

:D
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    dwhite76 wrote:
    one more note. I need to believe that the band actually means and cares about what they are playing. I know its tough for bands to stay together. Like Eddie said " You know how hard it is to get 5 guys to order a pizza?" So that's why I feel lucky to have actually found a band that stuck together and has been loyal through it all. :D

So true dwhite- not only do very few bands last more than a couple of years but even fewer maintain such a high level of commitment to themselves and their fans, and such quality and love for their craft. We are indeed so very fortunate to have had this band around for this long and very likely with more to come. :)

• Options
    brianlux wrote:
    dwhite76 wrote:
    one more note. I need to believe that the band actually means and cares about what they are playing. I know its tough for bands to stay together. Like Eddie said " You know how hard it is to get 5 guys to order a pizza?" So that's why I feel lucky to have actually found a band that stuck together and has been loyal through it all. :D

So true dwhite- not only do very few bands last more than a couple of years but even fewer maintain such a high level of commitment to themselves and their fans, and such quality and love for their craft. We are indeed so very fortunate to have had this band around for this long and very likely with more to come. :)

Thanks Brian, Funny to this day I clearly remembering saying to myself as I listened to Ten and said YES this is the sound. I said to my self " How long will they last" Then when Yield came out I also remembering actualy saying to myself we are in bonus time. But I do think some thing special connected me to them :D

Funny It was the radio that got me loving the Band. I was on my way home from work. Tired as hell and in a zone and then Yellowledbetter came on. I was floored. I had no clue what the hell Eddie was saying but the music and Eds voice stayed with me.

I ran out and bought TEN because it was their only album out and I had no clue what the name of the song was. To my surprise it was not on the record. So I went to Nobody Beats The Wiz and found a bunch of singles PJ put out and I was hooked for life :D
  • Options
    frazbafrazba Posts: 601
    dwhite76 wrote:

I have listened to other music. Most dont interest me. Im not a person who puts his time and love into a band only to have them break up after their 2nd album.

So I guess music does have a limit. I just was lucky enough to have found PJ and they lasted 20+ years. :D

I have been into sports my whole life growing up. I never had time for music other than radio. I moved away from home at 18. I bought a cd player and a hand full of cd's. I played them and the only one that spoke to me and had a different sound each and every song was TEN. I just love Eds unique voice. He uses it as an instrument. Not just to spit hot air.

Sorry you feel Im missing out but Pearl Jam has provided me more than enough different music to last a life time. :D

First off, obviously it's your choice, you can listen to whatever you want, whenever you want to.
    Secondly, longevity does not necessarily a good band make, jesus, U2 have been together since 1978 or something and they're still shite ;)
    If you're looking for someone who uses their voice as an instrument, try John Martyn or Tim Buckley. You won't though, will you?

I feel sad, not for you, if PJ are all you need then good luck. I'm actually glad for you, it must save you a fortune in new albums and tickets.
    I'm sad for myself, I thought I had found a place to share my love of PJ and the beautiful, multi coloured world of music with like minded individuals, I assumed that PJ fans were music fans first and PJ fans second, obviously I was wrong. I truly am dismayed and disappointed at the narrow minded, parochial attitudes that people display on here.
    Music is not like sport, you don't pick a band and follow them forsaking all others.

Open your ears and your mind will follow
  • Options
    stargirl69stargirl69 Posts: 6,387
    frazba wrote:
    dwhite76 wrote:

First off, obviously it's your choice, you can listen to whatever you want, whenever you want to.
    Secondly, longevity does not necessarily a good band make, jesus, U2 have been together since 1978 or something and they're still shite ;)
    If you're looking for someone who uses their voice as an instrument, try John Martyn or Tim Buckley. You won't though, will you?

I feel sad, not for you, if PJ are all you need then good luck. I'm actually glad for you, it must save you a fortune in new albums and tickets.
    I'm sad for myself, I thought I had found a place to share my love of PJ and the beautiful, multi coloured world of music with like minded individuals, I assumed that PJ fans were music fans first and PJ fans second, obviously I was wrong. I truly am dismayed and disappointed at the narrow minded, parochial attitudes that people display on here.
    Music is not like sport, you don't pick a band and follow them forsaking all others.

:clap::clap::clap: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :wave: :wave: :wave:

Then if you open your mind your ass will follow but seeing as it's a PJ only zone that will be lost on many :D

Can I adopt you :lol:
    “There should be a place where only the things you want to happen, happen”
  • Options
    frazba wrote:
    dwhite76 wrote:

There are more people in this conversation than those who only want to listen to PJ, so not sure why you're talking as though none of us listen to a diverse selection of music. Did you not read the thread? This is totally a place to share a love of music; all kinds of different ... just not in a thread that is called "Why do I only listen to PJ now". There is a forum called "Other Music" you know. It's where we discuss music that isn't PJ. You might want to go there before disowning us all. :lol:
  • Options
    frazba wrote:

first, I think music can be whatever it be to someone. you can't tell someone what music is to them. do you call a person names because they like apples but not oranges? personal taste, as far as I'm concerned, isn't a choice. it's part of you.

second, I think this is a bit overdramatic. I am the person that started this thread, and I alone have started thread upon thread in the Other Music forum to help other people discover new bands. I think the amount of people that listen to ONLY PJ ALL THE TIME is less than 1%.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    USARAYUSARAY Posts: 517
    I don't know so much good music found still to find discovering it is the best
    PJ is great but nothin changes that
  • Options
    frazba wrote:

first, I think music can be whatever it be to someone. you can't tell someone what music is to them. do you call a person names because they like apples but not oranges? personal taste, as far as I'm concerned, isn't a choice. it's part of you.

second, I think this is a bit overdramatic. I am the person that started this thread, and I alone have started thread upon thread in the Other Music forum to help other people discover new bands. I think the amount of people that listen to ONLY PJ ALL THE TIME is less than 1%.
    Yeah, it was a little drama queen. :lol:
  • Options
    frazbafrazba Posts: 601
    OK, points taken, it was a wee bit drama queen and slightly OTT, and I did generalise slightly, for these things I do apologise. I tend to ramble a bit when I start a rant. :oops:
    Hugh, none of this was aimed at you, I've seen your threads on Other Music, and I myself have had PJ/Wilco?Floyd etc weeks and months
    Apologies if I offended anyone, my inner drama queen is now in bed and asleep, until the next time :twisted: