Options

Why Do I Only Listen to PJ Now?

Comments

• Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,354
    I did for the longest time way back now i really don't listen to any PJ at all or music period , on my drive to&from work i listen to sports radio, at home i never listen to music , only to my kids ,dog & wife :lol::lol:
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,683
    I did for the longest time way back now i really don't listen to any PJ at all or music period , on my drive to&from work i listen to sports radio, at home i never listen to music , only to my kids ,dog & wife :lol::lol:
    That makes me glad I'm not married and have no children. ;):lol:
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    AlbertaGirl70_AlbertaGirl70_ Posts: 1,738
    Been doing it for so long that I have my mind trained, and can't sleep without music(mostly PJ) playing,and even wake up out of a dead sleep sometimes if one of my fav songs comes on :lol:
    I will walk w/my hands bound
    I will walk w/my face blood
    I will walk w/my shadow flag

Memories back when she was smooth and strong
    and waiting for the world to come along...

Eddie solo Vegas Oct 31,Nov 1 2012
  • Options
    frazba wrote:
    OK, points taken, it was a wee bit drama queen and slightly OTT, and I did generalise slightly, for these things I do apologise. I tend to ramble a bit when I start a rant. :oops:
    Hugh, none of this was aimed at you, I've seen your threads on Other Music, and I myself have had PJ/Wilco?Floyd etc weeks and months
    Apologies if I offended anyone, my inner drama queen is now in bed and asleep, until the next time :twisted:

no need to apologize!
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    Been doing it for so long that I have my mind trained, and can't sleep without music(mostly PJ) playing,and even wake up out of a dead sleep sometimes if one of my fav songs comes on :lol:
    Yeah, I'm plugged in to music ALL the time unless I'm needing to converse with people outside of an area where music can still be playing (like going for a walk with someone or in a work meeting). At work, walking anywhere alone (I have no car), doing anything other than watching TV at home (showering, cleaning, getting ready, cooking, sitting there listening to music, falling asleep, etc!) ... I think I listen to music during about 75% of my waking life! I love it. :D
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    dwhite76dwhite76 Posts: 2,801
    frazba wrote:
    dwhite76 wrote:

I have listened to other music. Most dont interest me. Im not a person who puts his time and love into a band only to have them break up after their 2nd album.

So I guess music does have a limit. I just was lucky enough to have found PJ and they lasted 20+ years. :D

I have been into sports my whole life growing up. I never had time for music other than radio. I moved away from home at 18. I bought a cd player and a hand full of cd's. I played them and the only one that spoke to me and had a different sound each and every song was TEN. I just love Eds unique voice. He uses it as an instrument. Not just to spit hot air.

Sorry you feel Im missing out but Pearl Jam has provided me more than enough different music to last a life time. :D

First off, obviously it's your choice, you can listen to whatever you want, whenever you want to.
    Secondly, longevity does not necessarily a good band make, jesus, U2 have been together since 1978 or something and they're still shite ;)
    If you're looking for someone who uses their voice as an instrument, try John Martyn or Tim Buckley. You won't though, will you?

I feel sad, not for you, if PJ are all you need then good luck. I'm actually glad for you, it must save you a fortune in new albums and tickets.
    I'm sad for myself, I thought I had found a place to share my love of PJ and the beautiful, multi coloured world of music with like minded individuals, I assumed that PJ fans were music fans first and PJ fans second, obviously I was wrong. I truly am dismayed and disappointed at the narrow minded, parochial attitudes that people display on here.
    Music is not like sport, you don't pick a band and follow them forsaking all others.

Open your ears and your mind will follow

Sure, Ill take a look at the music you have mentioned. I dont hate all other music.

I guess I would say it has to be a total package for me to be into the music. I mean if the guy singing it is a total dip shit trying to sing about nature and the next day hes out buying stocks in oil I just wouldnt be able to believe he truly feels what hes singing.

I mean seriously. Can you find one song that PJ sings that they all dont feel.

Maybe my dislike for Kiss has ruined it for all other bands. I mean when you say we had to paint our faces and come up with a gimic because we suck as musicians. Then your only in it for yourself,money booze, drugs, and girls. You cant tell me they feel what they sing. :D
    Some words when spoken...Can't be taken back...
  • Options
    dwhite76 wrote:
    frazba wrote:
    dwhite76 wrote:

I have listened to other music. Most dont interest me. Im not a person who puts his time and love into a band only to have them break up after their 2nd album.

So I guess music does have a limit. I just was lucky enough to have found PJ and they lasted 20+ years. :D

I have been into sports my whole life growing up. I never had time for music other than radio. I moved away from home at 18. I bought a cd player and a hand full of cd's. I played them and the only one that spoke to me and had a different sound each and every song was TEN. I just love Eds unique voice. He uses it as an instrument. Not just to spit hot air.

Sorry you feel Im missing out but Pearl Jam has provided me more than enough different music to last a life time. :D

First off, obviously it's your choice, you can listen to whatever you want, whenever you want to.
    Secondly, longevity does not necessarily a good band make, jesus, U2 have been together since 1978 or something and they're still shite ;)
    If you're looking for someone who uses their voice as an instrument, try John Martyn or Tim Buckley. You won't though, will you?

I feel sad, not for you, if PJ are all you need then good luck. I'm actually glad for you, it must save you a fortune in new albums and tickets.
    I'm sad for myself, I thought I had found a place to share my love of PJ and the beautiful, multi coloured world of music with like minded individuals, I assumed that PJ fans were music fans first and PJ fans second, obviously I was wrong. I truly am dismayed and disappointed at the narrow minded, parochial attitudes that people display on here.
    Music is not like sport, you don't pick a band and follow them forsaking all others.

Sure, Ill take a look at the music you have mentioned. I dont hate all other music.

I guess I would say it has to be a total package for me to be into the music. I mean if the guy singing it is a total dip shit trying to sing about nature and the next day hes out buying stocks in oil I just wouldnt be able to believe he truly feels what hes singing.

I mean seriously. Can you find one song that PJ sings that they all dont feel.

Maybe my dislike for Kiss has ruined it for all other bands. I mean when you say we had to paint our faces and come up with a gimic because we suck as musicians. Then your only in it for yourself,money booze, drugs, and girls. You cant tell me they feel what they sing. :D

Ooohhh, I don't know about that. I'm pretty sure they feel the FUN of what they're singing, playing, and performing, and FUN is what KISS is all about!! ... I'm not a KISS fan btw. But I have seen their show, and it is FFFFUUUUNNNNN!!!!
  • Options
    Yeah I dont know about that. But I guess you could be right. But fun dont make great music. IMO it dont even make sub par music :lol:

They should of joined the circus instead.
  • Options
    dwhite76 wrote:
    Yeah I dont know about that. But I guess you could be right. But fun dont make great music. IMO it dont even make sub par music :lol:

Yeah, their music isn't great (although I suppose some people think it is, so who are we to say??). But still... Fun goes a long way; I don't actually like that kind of music at all (80s glam metal or whatever the fuck it is), but the spectacle and crowd and joy of the whole thing really made me enjoy the whole experience while I was in it, including the music. It wasn't a circus; it was still a rock concert, no doubt about it. It did make me understand why some people are huge fans, even though I'm not one of them.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    dwhite76 wrote:

Yeah, their music isn't great (although I suppose some people think it is, so who are we to say??). But still... Fun goes a long way; I don't actually like that kind of music at all (80s glam metal or whatever the fuck it is), but the spectacle and crowd and joy of the whole thing really made me enjoy the whole experience while I was in it, including the music. It wasn't a circus; it was still a rock concert, no doubt about it. It did make me understand why some people are huge fans, even though I'm not one of them.

Great point you make :D . A kid at my supermarket just loves Kiss. He said the same thing to me u did is that they put on a great show. I dont knock em. I know people say im nuts when i talk about pj. Well after i talk them into believing they are still togeather :lol:

As long as the individule is happy i guess it dont matter how many bands they listen to. As long as they enjoy that moment its all good. There is so much misery in this world and music is definatly a joyful thing.
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,802
    frazba wrote:
    dwhite76 wrote:

Tim Buckley absolutely blows my mind. Blue Afternoon particularly resonates for me. It's one of those albums that when listened to on a quiet rainy afternoon or late at night can send you to a some very restful or transforming places.

I've listened to a lot of music and much of it has served well for pure listening purposes, for inspiration, for catharsis, for revelry and all kinds of insanity, for quietude and reflection for sorrow and grief and joy and ecstasy. And as good as all that is what is amazing about Pearl Jam (at least for many it seems) is that PJ is one very rare band that encompasses all of those feelings, does so amazingly well and consistently, has weathered many storms... and they're still doing it!

I don't think anyone here is dismissing other music and I understand that some people like more variety (one of my very best friends, for example, is not a big Pearl Jam fan and it would take him hours to list all the kinds of music, musicians and bands he listens to) but I think in this thread some of us are attempting to express the sheer love for this band, the music they make and indelible impression they've made on many of our lives. There are few groups and few singers like Eddie Vedder that have had that big an impact on so many people- and for good reason I think. I can not imagine not having their music in my life.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,413
    stay calm and listen to pearl jam
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    brianlux wrote:
    frazba wrote:

Tim Buckley absolutely blows my mind. Blue Afternoon particularly resonates for me. It's one of those albums that when listened to on a quiet rainy afternoon or late at night can send you to a some very restful or transforming places.

I've listened to a lot of music and much of it has served well for pure listening purposes, for inspiration, for catharsis, for revelry and all kinds of insanity, for quietude and reflection for sorrow and grief and joy and ecstasy. And as good as all that is what is amazing about Pearl Jam (at least for many it seems) is that PJ is one very rare band that encompasses all of those feelings, does so amazingly well and consistently, has weathered many storms... and they're still doing it!
    ;
    I don't think anyone here is dismissing other music and I understand that some people like more variety (one of my very best friends, for example, is not a big Pearl Jam fan and it would take him hours to list all the kinds of music, musicians and bands he listens to) but I think in this thread some of us are attempting to express the sheer love for this band, the music they make and indelible impression they've made on many of our lives. There are few groups and few singers like Eddie Vedder that have had that big an impact on so many people- and for good reason I think. I can not imagine not having their music in my life.
    For sure! Pearl Jam and EV affect me like no other band in the world. By a long shot. I just like variety as well. In any case, I think most of us agree on one band to the point that we all understand one another on some level. :)
  • Options
    WOW looks like this was all adults at this conversation :lol: I mean no name calling, No popcorn eating smiley faces. No one looking to kick ass :lol:

Funny is this what its like to be an adult :lol:

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap: :thumbup:
  • Options
    frazbafrazba Posts: 601
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    Yeah, I'm plugged in to music ALL the time unless I'm needing to converse with people outside of an area where music can still be playing (like going for a walk with someone or in a work meeting). At work, walking anywhere alone (I have no car), doing anything other than watching TV at home (showering, cleaning, getting ready, cooking, sitting there listening to music, falling asleep, etc!) ... I think I listen to music during about 75% of my waking life! I love it. :D

I'm exactly the same, I don't watch TV and I don't listen to the radio. Music (of all persuasions ;) ) is played in my house from morning until night (or until my wife comes home!!)
    I would never presume to tell anyone what to listen to, I live my life by the credo live and let live. Once again I apologise if it seemed that I was trying to do force my opinions on anyone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTPI647HwRc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UikPQOaJpfU

;)
  • Options
    Oh, and I don't particularly like Kiss either, but they did put on a fantastic show the couple of times I saw them.
  • Options
    frazba wrote:
    Oh, and I don't particularly like Kiss either, but they did put on a fantastic show the couple of times I saw them.

Maybe I should check out one of there shows. Every one says they are great. I heard they have a lot of fire and explosions. Is that what makes them a great 'Show"

If you had to say which show you would rather see. A Pearl Jam concert or a Kiss show?

Or are they like comparing apples and oranges
  • Options
    Without a doubt PJ, I've never flown to see Kiss and I don't possess all their albums and countless live recordings. Tbh I've no idea what they're like now, the last time I saw them was 1988 at Castle Donington I was young (19ish), they were very loud and cartoony (is that a word?) perfect for early evening at a festival. They were actually my first gig ever in1984, with Bon Jovi as support, I loved it but had nothing to compare it to at the time.
    I don't think you can really compare the two, Kiss offer a fun, Rock n Roll cartoon show, PJ are so much more than that.
  • Options
    frazba wrote:
    Without a doubt PJ, I've never flown to see Kiss and I don't possess all their albums and countless live recordings. Tbh I've no idea what they're like now, the last time I saw them was 1988 at Castle Donington I was young (19ish), they were very loud and cartoony (is that a word?) perfect for early evening at a festival. They were actually my first gig ever in1984, with Bon Jovi as support, I loved it but had nothing to compare it to at the time.
    I don't think you can really compare the two, Kiss offer a fun, Rock n Roll cartoon show, PJ are so much more than that.

I hear ya. I didnty realize you seen them so long ago. The kid at my supermarket hes about 20 ish and he just went and seen them like twice in the past 3 years.

I cant imagine those old dudes sounding like anything near what they did 20 years ago :lol:

Some one PMed me with some new music to check out I just may do that. they recomended John Butler Trio and Ben Harper. I have seen Harper open for PJ in 1998 and was it 2000 or 2003. I know I saw him twice and didnt care for it much. But Ill check the JB3 out :D
  • Options
    Mikee JMikee J Posts: 1,323
    Wow. I feel bad for you. Only one band out of thousands and thousands appeals to you? I'm not really quite sure what to say to that. Go to your local pub and listen to a local band and support them. There's so much good music that most people never hear because they never make it big. I guess I just don't understand how a person can exclusively listen to one band. Thats kind of like watching only one movie and nothing else.

I feel exactly the same as the OP.. and I run a music venue! I listen to other music all the time at work, but nothing but PJ at home..... :D
    "My body's nobody's body but mine"
  • Options
    I don't know JB3, must check them myself. I do like Ben Harper though.

I find it very hard to recommend music to people as my tastes are so varied. All I can do is tell you what I've been listening to this morning and hope you like it.
    This is on as I type

If I didn't have a bad back I'd be dancing!!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T40Sgr1b6UQ

this was on earlier, one of my all time favourite bands, up there with PJ in my heart, also on a par with them live IMO!!!
    Great lyrics as well!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lv4JNADE2VY

and sadly, I'd actually imagine Kiss sound EXACTLY the same as they did nearly 30 years ago!!!!!
  • Options
    frazba wrote:

and sadly, I'd actually imagine Kiss sound EXACTLY the same as they did nearly 30 years ago!!!!!

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
  • Options
    LoulouLoulou Adelaide Posts: 6,247
    Don't get me wrong, I love Pearl Jam and listen to them predominantly but I do need other music too. Pearl Jam sets certain types of moods for me, depending on each song/album. Sometimes I need other bands to quench whatever mood I'm in at the time. Love Leadbelly and Robert Johnson while I work and The Cure while I'm writing/painting. I guess it just depends what is happening in my life at the time, Pearl Jam just happens to be the band that I feels covers most of my emotions and conjures up most of my memories. ;)
    “ "Thank you Palestrina. It’s a wonderful evening, it’s great to be here and I wanna dedicate you a super sexy song." " (last words of Mark Sandman of Morphine)

Adelaide 1998
    Adelaide 2003
    Adelaide 2006 night 1
    Adelaide 2006 night 2
    Adelaide 2009
    Melbourne 2009
    Christchurch NZ 2009
    Eddie Vedder, Adelaide 2011
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 1
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 2
    Adelaide BIG DAY OUT 2014
  • Options
    PJ is hands down my favorite band, but I rarely listen to them. If I'm going to a show I might play them a bit more during the two weeks before to get pumped up and maybe for a few days after while I'm still on a post show high. I have listened to them so much since I was 15 I feel like there is so much other music I could listen to. On the occasions I do play them I usually listen to the PJ20 soundtrack, The Gorge Box or the Buffalo '03 boot. I have a PJ playlist on my IPod that consists of my favorite 100 songs that I'll probably bust out when I'm on summer break just to revist some of the tunes I really love. I listen to bands in spurts. Right now I've been on a Beach Boys, Cracker and Iron Maiden kick. For some reason I tend to listen to R.E.M. and Bob Dylan very heavily in the fall. I can't explain why.
  • Options
    AlbertaGirl70_AlbertaGirl70_ Posts: 1,738
    frazba wrote:

Kiss actually came to my city of 80,000 last year for Canada Day,and I went to that,not a fan really,but sometimes you just know that whoever it is that is playing it will be a good show so you go......It was awesome,outside,bout 10,000 ppl,small venue,my best friend,just a good party.Sometimes it's not about the band but the good time.They did put on a wicked show for our small city.
    I will walk w/my hands bound
    I will walk w/my face blood
    I will walk w/my shadow flag

Memories back when she was smooth and strong
    and waiting for the world to come along...

Eddie solo Vegas Oct 31,Nov 1 2012
  • Options
    Another way to tell if you are listening mostly to Pearl Jam: ask yourself what is the first song you hear in your head when you get up in the morning. Today it was Crop Duster. :D
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    brianlux wrote:
    Another way to tell if you are listening mostly to Pearl Jam: ask yourself what is the first song you hear in your head when you get up in the morning. Today it was Crop Duster. :D
    Totally! Mine was I Am Mine (which is one of my favorite PJ songs lately).
  • Options
    dwhite76 wrote:
    If you had to say which show you would rather see. A Pearl Jam concert or a Kiss show?

Kiss is a show.
    Pearl Jam is a concert.

Depends what you're in the mood for, but I can honestly say I'd NEVER be in a mood to see Kiss over PJ.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    dwhite76 wrote:

Kiss is a show.
    Pearl Jam is a concert.

Depends what you're in the mood for, but I can honestly say I'd NEVER be in a mood to see Kiss over PJ.
    Neither would I. Pearl Jam would come first without a second thought. But that's because I'm a massive PJ fan, obviously. I don't think that any of us would choose them really says anything about the quality of each shows in and of themselves, because we're all PJ fans. I would, btw, also call the KISS one a concert. The people there DO seem to really love the music. It's not like it's cirque du soleil. It's a rock concert, and the KISS fans are REALLY into the music.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    brianlux wrote:
    Totally! Mine was I Am Mine (which is one of my favorite PJ songs lately).

I Am Mine.. can't say enough about how great that song is! :D