Options

voter id requirements

mikepegg44mikepegg44 Posts: 3,353
edited April 2012 in A Moving Train
Can someone tell me how this disenfranchises voters?

I here a lot of demagoguery and hyperbole associated with it from both sides, but in a rational way, can someone please explain to me why an id at the voting booth disenfranchises voters.
that’s right! Can’t we all just get together and focus on our real enemies: monogamous gays and stem cells… - Ned Flanders
It is terrifying when you are too stupid to know who is dumb
- Joe Rogan
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    markin ballmarkin ball Posts: 1,066
    It certainly makes it more difficult to vote for some. Also the ID would have to be at no cost or it would be considered a poll tax, and that's no good. I'm on the fence on this issue but let's face it, the republican party wants voter id's not because of voter fraud but because it would reduce votes for democrats, and I'm so over this kind of my team has to win no matter what is right or wrong horseshit.
    "First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ."

"With our thoughts we make the world"
  • Options
    Godfather.Godfather. Posts: 12,504
    I think letting non citizens vote is horseshit, it's just wrong to let a citizen of another country vote for president of the united states.

Godfather.
  • Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,161
    it is aimed at preventing people from voting. in a democratic republic you would think that they would be trying to make voting easier for the entire population. but because the people that will have diffuculty getting a voter id, the elderly, the infirmed, college students, etc who vote democratic, it is easy to reach the conclusion that this is a way of discriminating and disenfranchising them.

more people get struck by lightning than commit voter fraud each year.

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/arc ... or/254572/

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/the-daily ... 91224.html

http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2012/0 ... ?mobile=nc
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    It never occurred to me as a conspiracy to reduce democratic votes.

It just seems like common sense and wise practice - I mean, who doesn't have a form of legal ID (assuming one is of legal citizenry)?

Why would it be considered over-the-top to show up at your polling place, declare "I'm so-and-so and I'm here to vote", and then be asked to confirm that you actually ARE so-and-so?
  • Options
    BlockheadBlockhead Posts: 1,534
    hedonist wrote:
    It never occurred to me as a conspiracy to reduce democratic votes.

It just seems like common sense and wise practice - I mean, who doesn't have a form of legal ID (assuming one is of legal citizenry)?

Why would it be considered over-the-top to show up at your polling place, declare "I'm so-and-so and I'm here to vote", and then be asked to confirm that you actually ARE so-and-so?
    :roll: You expect people to buy their OWN ID's...
    Do you know the diffuculty and cost of obtaining an ID???
  • Options
    pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    by the loitering statue in this state you must carry an ID at all times...
    you can be arrested for not having this.

Of course people should have to show ID to vote
    they must register and vote in their district ... that is an absolute no brainer
  • Options
    it is aimed at preventing people from voting. in a democratic republic you would think that they would be trying to make voting easier for the entire population. but because the people that will have diffuculty getting a voter id, the elderly, the infirmed, college students, etc who vote democratic, it is easy to reach the conclusion that this is a way of discriminating and disenfranchising them.

more people get struck by lightning than commit voter fraud each year.

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/arc ... or/254572/

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/the-daily ... 91224.html

http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2012/0 ... ?mobile=nc

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't the elderly & infirmed need an ID to get goverment assistance (medicare,s.s., ect) College students? When I was in school they issued an offical picture ID, plus I know I had to show my DL durning registration. That was almost 15 years ago.
  • Options
    klusterfukklusterfuk Posts: 1,411
    pandora wrote:

they must register and vote in their district ... that is an absolute no brainer

this
    The future's paved with better days

Alpine Valley Resort is etched in my brain!!!

• Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    The ACLU and Democrats sued the state of Indiana for voter ID laws. They claimed it was unconstitutional and placed an undue burden on voting. However, they could not cite one instance where someone was prevented from voting in the prior election due to the law.

To be honest, this is a silly Dem / GOP issue. I was surprised to learn most states didn't require ID.

Dang near everything requires ID these days. BFD if you need one to vote.
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,300
    Really everyone should have some sort of ID , but shouldn't we as a country wan't as many people voting as possible ...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    whygohomewhygohome Posts: 2,305
    Really everyone should have some sort of ID , but shouldn't we as a country wan't as many people voting as possible ...

Not if they don't vote for my/our/your team :mrgreen:
  • Options
    Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Philly Posts: 10,455
    Jason P wrote:
    To be honest, this is a silly Dem / GOP issue.

Yeah, I think this is right.

Dems exaggerate how voter ID laws disenfranchise voters and Reps exaggerate instances of voter fraud.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13;
    WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16;
    Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; SeaHearNow Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Options
    maj4emaj4e Posts: 605
    You have to be a citizen to vote already. VoterID is designed to simply validate who you are with your registered precinct. That's the theory, in practice it tends to discourage voters who are at the poverty level and they happen to typically vote democrat, with some exceptions.
  • Options
    BlockheadBlockhead Posts: 1,534
    maj4e wrote:
    You have to be a citizen to vote already. VoterID is designed to simply validate who you are with your registered precinct. That's the theory, in practice it tends to discourage voters who are at the poverty level and they happen to typically vote democrat, with some exceptions.
    So you think people at the poverty level, who are to lazy to get an ID are going to go out and VOTE?
  • Options
    mikepegg44mikepegg44 Posts: 3,353
    Jason P wrote:
    To be honest, this is a silly Dem / GOP issue.

Yeah, I think this is right.

Dems exaggerate how voter ID laws disenfranchise voters and Reps exaggerate instances of voter fraud.

boom
    that’s right! Can’t we all just get together and focus on our real enemies: monogamous gays and stem cells… - Ned Flanders
    It is terrifying when you are too stupid to know who is dumb
    - Joe Rogan
  • Options
    maj4emaj4e Posts: 605
    Blockhead wrote:
    maj4e wrote:
    So you think people at the poverty level, who are to lazy to get an ID are going to go out and VOTE?

Just stating what the scenario is dude, no where in it did I take a stand. Relax
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,798
    klusterfuk wrote:
    pandora wrote:

this
    other forms of identification are accepted at my county's board of elections to be registered. As long as you are registered and they can verify that on the voter rolls at the precinct I vote in you dont need the id to show at the polls.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    antares434antares434 Posts: 110
    Correct me if I'm wrong ... The new laws are not simply adding the requirement of an ID for the first time. The new laws tighten the ID laws by requiring state issued ID, such as a photo driver's license. I'm pretty certain you always needed ID, but things like your heating bill or lease were accepted in lieu of a government issued photo ID. They now want to eliminate those less reliable forms of ID. If passed, the law will have the effect of turning registered voters away from the polls.

For example: grandma, who was born here and is a citizen, doesn't currently have any state issued photo ID. For the last few years she's been voting and her phone bill which lists her name and address was a valid form of ID. This year, she isn't aware of the change in the law and gets turned away on election day.

I think much of the media is reporting this issue in a misleading way ... they just like the "New Law Requiring ID at the Polls" headline.
  • Options
    Only US citizens can vote, so any form of ID which can be used to verify if you are a US citizen should be allowed for voting, end of story.

Heck I can’t even return a Clone Trooper action figure to Target for full price w/o an ID.
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    Heck I can’t even return a Clone Trooper action figure to Target for full price w/o an ID.
    Learn how to use your Jedi powers, you must.
  • Options
    Only US citizens can vote, so any form of ID which can be used to verify if you are a US citizen should be allowed for voting, end of story.

No state issued IDs are proof that you are a US citizen.
  • Options
    antares434 wrote:

Thanks. I did not know that, in fact after I posted the comment I looked it up.

I stand by comment though, if only US citizens can vote, then the only acceptable ID should be documents accepted to prove citzenship. Social Security cards maybe? I don't recall having to pay for either of my sons SS cards...
  • Options
    Godfather.Godfather. Posts: 12,504
    antares434 wrote:

wow cool info ..I didn't know that,thanks.
    what form of ID is used to prove citizenship ? I mean if a border patrol agent asked me what whould I have or need to prove it ?

Godfather.
  • Options
    antares434 wrote:

Thanks. I did not know that, in fact after I posted the comment I looked it up.

I stand by comment though, if only US citizens can vote, then the only acceptable ID should be documents accepted to prove citzenship. Social Security cards maybe? I don't recall having to pay for either of my sons SS cards...

I think many of the proposed new ID laws would eliminate a SS card as a valid form of ID, since it's not a state of the art photo ID that's difficult to fake.
  • Options
    Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Philly Posts: 10,455
    The fact that you are on the voter registration roll is proof that you are a US citizen, isn't it? You just need to prove you are that person.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13;
    WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16;
    Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; SeaHearNow Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Options
    The fact that you are on the voter registration roll is proof that you are a US citizen, isn't it? You just need to prove you are that person.

Where is the list generated/housed? If it's through SS then I would think proof of address, such as a bill, would be acceptable. There will always be people trying to get one past the system, it's an operationl risk which can not be avoided.
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Yes, I would think so. Makes sense, although when I read about dogs and dead folks being called for jury duty or sent concensus forms, I have to wonder.

So are we back to square one then?

How does one prove who they are? State-issued/photo ID?

Certainly not a phone bill...
  • Options
    satansbedsatansbed Posts: 2,138
    Godfather. wrote:
    I think letting non citizens vote is horseshit, it's just wrong to let a citizen of another country vote for president of the united states.

Godfather.

Why not, if they pay taxes and live in the U.S. for a certain number of years they should be allowed to vote.

This is one of the main reasons the United States where formed in the first place. to get rid of taxation without representation
  • Options
    CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,219
    Godfather. wrote:

Godfather.
    It is more about the fraud perpetrated by American citizens, than non-citizens.
    Like the guy in California that ran a nursing home and 'filled' out all of the resident's ballots for them. He din't fill them out to their wishes... some of them suffered from dementia... he filled them out to match his ballot.
    He is an American... and so were all of the people at his nursing homes.
    But, it is still fraud.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,727
    Is it not so that someone walking around without an ID I would have greater concerns about weather he/she could vote or not? It's seems to me it's just not safe or wise to walk around without an ID.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.