Options

Why do we need to "believe" in God?

Restless SoulRestless Soul Posts: 809
edited November 2011 in A Moving Train
Hope it's ok to post this question here, if not then mods feel free to move.

Anyway, from what I can see, the two key components in most religions, (it seems to me) is the need to believe in God, as well as the need to believe he/she/it/they are "real".

But why do we need to believe in God if he etc is real?

I'm not asking this question to be antagonistic to believers. It is a genuine enquiry about something which has often eluded me. Maybe I'm just not good with non-tangible concepts, but its often confused me that if God if real then why we need to "believe" in him?  A table is real but I dont need to "believe" in it for it to be there. Have. I missed something?

Dont get me wrong, I'm not "anti-God" or anything, I'm generally agnostic I guess, but I'll believe anything if I can find a convincing argument for it. So I guess this is a question for the believers out there, why is it necessary to have to believe in God - he's either there or he's not right?
"We have to change the concept of patriotism to one of “matriotism” — love of humanity that transcends war. A matriarch would never send her own children off to wars that kill other people’s children." Cindy Sheehan
---
London, Brixton, 14 July 1993
London, Wembley, 1996
London, Wembley, 18 June 2007
London, O2, 18 August 2009
London, Hammersmith Apollo (Ed solo), 31 July 2012
Milton Keynes Bowl, 11 July 2014
London, Hammersmith Apollo (Ed solo), 06 June 2017
London, O2, 18 June 2018
London, O2, 17 July 2018
Amsterdam, Afas Live (Ed solo), 09 June 2019
Amsterdam, Afas Live (Ed solo), 10 June 2019

Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    titchinellotitchinello Posts: 3,139
    I don't believe there is A god, but i do believe that some people need something to believe in to keep them going and be strong in there everyday life.
    Glasgow cathouse-1992-2-23, San diego sports arena-1995-11-06 & 07, Glasgow secc-2000-06-03, Tampa st petes times forum-2003-04-13, London O2 arena-2009-08-18, Belfast odyssey arena-2010-06-23.Leeds 2014 - 07-08
  • Options
    arqarq Posts: 7,935
    "The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it"
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

Why not (V) (°,,,,°) (V) ?
  • Options
    I don't believe there is A god, but i do believe that some people need something to believe in to keep them going and be strong in there everyday life.

I guess so, I do believe there is a spiritual dimension to life myself, but what it actually contains or consists of is is another question. I'm not so sure about that bit.

However, I'm really curious why most of the major religions seem to have this requirement to "believe" in God and therefore believe he (she, it etc) is real. What is it about "believing" in God that is so important? If he is real then why do we have to believe in him? He is there anyway?

I feel like there's a connection I'm not making here, so am hoping to get some insights from you learned lot!
    "We have to change the concept of patriotism to one of “matriotism” — love of humanity that transcends war. A matriarch would never send her own children off to wars that kill other people’s children." Cindy Sheehan
    ---
    London, Wembley, 1996
    London, O2, 18 June 2018
    London, O2, 17 July 2018

• Options
    arq wrote:

Lol! But are you saying that if we don't believe we will cease to exist??
    ---
    London, Wembley, 1996
    London, O2, 18 June 2018
    London, O2, 17 July 2018

• Options
    LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    Anti-anxiety aid for the unknown.
  • Options
    titchinellotitchinello Posts: 3,139
    when you think about it aswell, if there wasn't all these different religions and all the my god is better than your god, or my god is the only god bullshit etc etc. i think we'd live in a much better world
    Glasgow cathouse-1992-2-23, San diego sports arena-1995-11-06 & 07, Glasgow secc-2000-06-03, Tampa st petes times forum-2003-04-13, London O2 arena-2009-08-18, Belfast odyssey arena-2010-06-23.Leeds 2014 - 07-08
  • Options
    Gob wrote:
    Anti-anxiety aid for the unknown.

Or maybe it's religions way of controlling thoughts...it's the first step towards creating and normalising irrational thinking processes which helps people to believe in something that patently isnt there...kind of like the emperor's new clothes...

I can't help but think this sometimes, even though I do want to believe. I used to, but then I stopped.
    ---
    London, Wembley, 1996
    London, O2, 18 June 2018
    London, O2, 17 July 2018

• Options
    eMMIeMMI Posts: 6,262
    In some ways, I guess when it comes to religion and God, believing is a synonym for knowing. :think: One reason why 'believe' is used a lot, I'm sure, is because you can't see (or hear or feel or touch)* God. But you have faith, you believe He exists, therefore you know He does. :think: I hope this makes sense.

* At least that is the case for most people. Of course, some people believe to have been touched by God etc.
    "Don't be faint-hearted, I have a solution! We shall go and commandeer some small craft, then drift at leisure until we happen upon another ideal place for our waterside supper with riparian entertainments."
  • Options
    arq wrote:
    you reddit, dont you?
    MSG II 5/21/10
    Tres Mts. Gramercy Theatre 3/26/11
    *formerly manutd3581
  • Options
    Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,486
    We don't!!

Some people believe because it comforts them but that doesn't make it true.
  • Options
    arqarq Posts: 7,935
    arq wrote:
    you reddit, dont you?

You know it...
    "The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it"
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

Why not (V) (°,,,,°) (V) ?
  • Options
    ONCE DEVIDEDONCE DEVIDED Posts: 1,131
    Religon/ god = social control to the norms of our society
    AUSSIE AUSSIE AUSSIE
  • Options
    __ Posts: 6,651
    eMMI wrote:
    In some ways, I guess when it comes to religion and God, believing is a synonym for knowing. :think: One reason why 'believe' is used a lot, I'm sure, is because you can't see (or hear or feel or touch)* God. But you have faith, you believe He exists, therefore you know He does. :think: I hope this makes sense.

* At least that is the case for most people. Of course, some people believe to have been touched by God etc.

This.

If I told you (OP) about a table that you couldn't experience with your five senses - whether it's some kind of magical table or it's just that you're not in the same place as the table - you'd have to choose whether or not to believe in its existence too. (Unless you just don't care, in which case you wouldn't have to decide to believe anything.)
  • Options
    WildsWilds Posts: 4,329
    Why do we need to "believe" in God?

For comfort of the the unknown concerning death.
    For comfort of having a purpose.
    For comfort of understanding what is not know about how life and the universe works.
  • Options
    ShawshankShawshank Posts: 1,018
    I don't feel I have a need, or that I'm compelled to believe in God. I just do. Kind of like I know there's oxygen in the air I breathe. I can't see it, but I know it gives me life. I have a deep faith in God, and have had it for as long as I can remember. The weird thing is, is neither of my parents, or really anyone in my family were ever really church goers. I seldom went to church, and was very seldom ever engaged in that part of society. But still I always believed in God without question. Even though now my wife and I go to church regularly, and I absolutely believe in God, and accept Jesus Christ, I find myself vehemently opposed to much of what organized religion tries to push on people. Religion, in my eyes, is the biggest bunch of BS ever. Religion is nothing but man's way of trying to make themselves feel important...to make themselves feel empowered...it's man's way to make themselves feel like they have all the answers...religion is man's bogus way of pushing themselves to be closer to God. Kind of like an annoying person that tries waaaayyy too hard to be your friend. It's also nothing more than man's way of acting on God's behalf in many cases, especially when it comes to being judgmental about things like homosexuality. That's obviously a big one. I just don't see where it's our place to judge.

I guess I just don't have a problem admitting I don't have all the answers, and I feel confident enough in my faith to be cool with that. I don't believe there's anything in Science that dispels God, and I believe that everything, the construction of our universe, the laws of physics, evolution, all of it just screams God to me. So I don't believe because I have some sort of need, I just believe because I can't help but do so.
  • Options
    pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    The only frustration I have about knowing God is people equating that with religion.
  • Options
    Answering directly, we don't "need" to, we choose to in order to feel less random.

As for myself, I'm ok with random... I don't believe in any gods (except for Pearl Jam :mrgreen: ) and I don't feel the need to... The way I see it, we randomly come to this world, enjoy (or not) our stay, and then it's over. I don't think I'll be meeting anyone "on the other side". It's cool, I just try to make the most of my time around ;)
    ~Can't escape from the common rule
    If you hate something, don't you do it too...~
  • Options
    BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    Fear
  • Options
    whygohomewhygohome Posts: 2,305
    M.Y.T.H. is
    Belief in the game controls that keeps us in a box of fear
    We never listen
    Voice inside so drowned out

:mrgreen:
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,727
    whygohome wrote:
    M.Y.T.H. is
    Belief in the game controls that keeps us in a box of fear
    We never listen
    Voice inside so drowned out

:mrgreen:
    Perfect! My favorite PJ song!

Just yesterday I was having a conversation about why people become religiously fundamentalist. My view is that they prefer the parameters of fundamentalsim that make life's choices easier. They don't have to grapple with difficult decisions as often. I have a few friends who are like that and I would never disparage their choice so this is not a put down. But it sure isn't for me. I tried being a fundy Christian about 35 years ago because my close friends at the time were into it and I was lonely afraid to be in the box of fear that is loneliness-- but my attemt in accepting the religion failed becasue for me, it was a lie. So the logical conclusion for me is that I don't need to believe in God in any specific form or order. To me, God is another word for mystery.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    It is difficult for me to understand why people can not separate God
    from the religions of the world.

That people will not let God just be in their lives.

When this is because of religion,
    any needs aside, but for the fact that no religion 'spoke' to them,
    they will not speak to God.

People made religion, it is more about them than God.
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    i believe in God...

mike-melting.jpg
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    i believe in God...

mike-melting.jpg

:clap::clap: :thumbup: :thumbup: :angel: :angel:
  • Options
    rollingsrollings unknown Posts: 7,124

Anyway, from what I can see, the two key components in most religions, (it seems to me) is the need to believe in God, as well as the need to believe he/she/it/they are "real".

I'm not asking this question to be antagonistic to believers. It is a genuine enquiry about something which has often eluded me. Maybe I'm just not good with non-tangible concepts, but its often confused me that if God if real then why we need to "believe" in him?  A table is real but I dont need to "believe" in it for it to be there. Have. I missed something?

Dont get me wrong, I'm not "anti-God" or anything, I'm generally agnostic I guess, but I'll believe anything if I can find a convincing argument for it. So I guess this is a question for the believers out there, why is it necessary to have to believe in God - he's either there or he's not right?

I understand what you mean.

"Religions" do tag on that "belief" requirement.

Christians= Jesus said nobody could enter through the kingdom of God/heaven except through me.
    Jewish = the "chosen" people
    Muslim = excludes the "Infidels".

Can you believe that God- "any god" (loose term used for the loose purposes herein) would exclude so many people? No.

So Religion discredits its own self, now doesn't it? Ha!

Further note...I saw a show probably on the Discovery Channel or something like that, where experiments where being done to trigger the "God Center" area of the brain--no kidding.

Apparently the "God Center" evolved in humans right around the time humanity began to realize and comprehend

1) We're living on a giant rock that dangles all by itself in outer space and
    2) We're all gonna die
  • Options
    whygohomewhygohome Posts: 2,305
    i believe in God...

mike-melting.jpg

And the sermon was Evenflow at PJ20.
  • Options
    mikepegg44mikepegg44 Posts: 3,353

well you are right. You don't have to believe in God.

Just keep in mind, that the table is simply a construct of matter that reflects light. The table isn't any more "real" than a belief. I would argue that a belief does have a physical form as well it just resides in synapses in your brain. So I cannot rest my coffee on it, but it doesn't make it less real.
    So being that the any physical form is simply a state of your mind and its perception, a God would really be no different. So, if someone, anyone believes in a God, that would make the God real. Whether or not you believe is secondary.

As far as having to believe in a God, religions generally push to say they are the right way. I think some of it is just simply human nature...the whole i am right so you all must be wrong kind of thing...but i also think that there is a sincere sect of Christianity for example that believe it is their duty to save others by telling others they are right and that if we all follow we will be "saved"...So since God's physical form may be simply a synapse that seems to be impossible to grab, a belief is necessary because the God in question may only be a synapse. Do you think a person who has never seen a table and simply had one explained to them would not be simply going on belief and trust that it exists? They would have to believe in a table in order for that table to exist in their mind...
    Hopefully that made sense.
    i don't know, wish I had more time to explain exactly what I want to say, but that would take way too long...maybe I will just blame that rambling on being drunk :lol:
    I
    that’s right! Can’t we all just get together and focus on our real enemies: monogamous gays and stem cells… - Ned Flanders
    It is terrifying when you are too stupid to know who is dumb
    - Joe Rogan
  • Options
    FiveB247xFiveB247x Posts: 2,330
    The notion that you need a god in your life to have purpose,morality or something similar is ridiculous. This is an invention of people who are believers and nothing more in order to justify and reinforce their own beliefs in themselves and no reflection of people who believe otherwise.
    CONservative governMENt

Our government is the potent, the omnipresent teacher. For good or for ill, it teaches the whole people by its example. Crime is contagious. If the government becomes a law-breaker, it breeds contempt for law; it invites every man to become a law unto himself; it invites anarchy. - Louis Brandeis
  • Options
    ShimmyMommyShimmyMommy Posts: 7,505
    I say we don't need to.

Nature was here before humans, they didn't believe in God to exist. They technically don't even really know they themselves exist. Spirituality is knowing we are unified with all that exists, not just one omniscient being.

Good cannot exist without Evil. It's how humanity defines them. Before us, things just existed.

So no, you don't need to believe in God. If you want to, that's up to you.
    Lots of love, light and hugs to you all!
  • Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    i dont feel the need to believe in God.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
This discussion has been closed.