Options

Dogfish Head & PJ20

Comments

• Options
    camaroscamaros Posts: 1,003
    Dogfish has no idea how out of control this is going to get.......

ummmm they don't really care much, sure the cases at the brewery will sell out quick, but that's about as far as DFH will see. I think the gasoline companies are gonna see the most profit from out of state fans drives miles and miles in search of it.
    i like sound...
  • Options
    camaroscamaros Posts: 1,003
    If DFH were smart, and I bet they are... They will have mountains and mountains of merchandise available... They will make a killing if you get PJ and DFH on t shirts and hats and coasters and glasses and tap handles and bottle openers and POSTERS, and a vinyl that plays Faithful like 20 times
    i like sound...
  • Options
    Diggy381Diggy381 Posts: 165
    I work with guy that runs a distributor and they say it arrives in November. I have already secured a case.
  • Options
    Im first on the list with the only place that is supposed to get some.
    I also have my name on a list two other places that may get some.
  • Options
    sigh eternallysigh eternally Chicago Posts: 421
    Anyone find in this in Ohio? Particularly Columbus or the Central Ohio area?

Contact The Bottle and Barrel at the North Market. They get a lot of limited edition stuff, especially from Dogfish Head.
    http://www.northmarket.com/meet-the-mar ... and-bottle

Brews Cafe out in Granville is another place you could try. They also get lots of rare stuff in bottles and on tap.
    http://www.brewscafe.com/index.php
  • Options
    dougfloyd wrote:
    Anyone find in this in Ohio? Particularly Columbus or the Central Ohio area?

I don't know about Columbus but I know a few spots in Cincinnati that should be getting it.

What have you found in Cincinnati? I'd be interested in heading down there to get some or splitting some with you if you have any extras to spare.

I'll be trying 3 different stores. One which is right around the corner from my house, it's a little mom and pop store called "The Root Cellar". Then there is Jungle Jims, and The Party Source which is right across the river in Covington, Kentucky. I plan on buying as many bottles as I possibly can, but each store has already told me that there would be limits on how many each person can buy. I've already told my friends that they're going to need to go beer shopping with me here soon so that I can try to score some extras.
    * Cincinnati, OH 8.20.2000 *
    * Cincinnati, OH 6.24.2006 *
    * Columbus, OH 5.6.2010 * Noblesville, IN 5.7.2010 *
    * East Troy, MI 9.4.2011 * East Troy, MI 9.5.2011 *
    * Pittsburgh, PA 10.11.2013 *
  • Options
    dougfloyddougfloyd Fishers, IN Posts: 2,544
    dougfloyd wrote:

I don't know about Columbus but I know a few spots in Cincinnati that should be getting it.

What have you found in Cincinnati? I'd be interested in heading down there to get some or splitting some with you if you have any extras to spare.

I'll be trying 3 different stores. One which is right around the corner from my house, it's a little mom and pop store called "The Root Cellar". Then there is Jungle Jims, and The Party Source which is right across the river in Covington, Kentucky. I plan on buying as many bottles as I possibly can, but each store has already told me that there would be limits on how many each person can buy. I've already told my friends that they're going to need to go beer shopping with me here soon so that I can try to score some extras.

Jungle Jim's was the only place I had thought of to try to find some, although that place is always so busy I'm sure it wouldn't last long. I'll keep looking, thanks for the heads up.
    1998 - Noblesville
    2000 - Noblesville
    2010 - Noblesville
    2011 - EV solo St Louis, PJ20 Alpine Valley
    2012 - San Fran (Oracle)
    2013 - Wrigley, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Cincy, St Louis, Detroit
    2016 - Lexington, Wrigley
    2018 - Wrigley
    2022 - Nashville, St Louis
  • Options
    What have you found in Cincinnati? I'd be interested in heading down there to get some or splitting some with you if you have any extras to spare.[/quote]

I'll be trying 3 different stores. One which is right around the corner from my house, it's a little mom and pop store called "The Root Cellar". Then there is Jungle Jims, and The Party Source which is right across the river in Covington, Kentucky. I plan on buying as many bottles as I possibly can, but each store has already told me that there would be limits on how many each person can buy. I've already told my friends that they're going to need to go beer shopping with me here soon so that I can try to score some extras.[/quote]

Why buy so much?
  • Options
    shepshep Houston Posts: 5,647
    quick question for everyone who is really famaillar with DFH brewing practices, cause I see atleast 1 major issue....

Does DFH normally put preservatives in their beer, or are they an "all natural" company? I'm not going to lie, I do enjoy a glass of their 90 minute IPA every now and then, and I always try the seasonals... however I'm not over famaillar with their brewing practices....

If there are no preservatives in the beer, the beer itself will only have a shelf life for 60-90 days... so saving the "Faithful Ale" to drink later on down the road is not a good idea.... and depending on the type of yeast used bottles could actually explode down the road if the fermenting process isn't finished in a specific way...

just an FYI for non-craft beer drinkers who may be seeking this limited release....
    Houston, Texas... Believe it or not, there are 7 million people here... must be a couple of fans who'd love to see you play.
  • Options
    RFTCRFTC Posts: 723
    ugh, well it looks like Texas gets screwed again, just spoke w/dfh dist rep and this release is highly unlikely to make it to TX. he will know for sure next week and if by chance we get anything, "it will be extremely limited" according to him. reps are known for making up shit so who knows.
    San Diego Sports Arena - Oct 25, 2000
    MGM Grand - Jul 6, 2006
    Cox Arena - Jul 7, 2006
    New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival - May 1, 2010
    Alpine Valley Music Theater - Sep 3-4 2011
    Made In America, Philly - Sep 2, 2012
    EV, Houston - Nov 12-13, 2012
    Dallas-November 2013
    OKC-November 2013
    ACL 2-October 2014
    Fenway Night 1, August 2016
    Wrigley, Night 1 August 2018
  • Options
    Well, I struck out on the idea of ordering some to get while on vacation in Florida:

"Thank you for contacting the Total Wine and More Customer Care Department. This item is an unfamiliar item. More than likely this item has yet to reach the United States. Unfortunately, we cannot Special Order it.

Please feel free to contact the Naples Total Wine & More at 239-649-4979 for a comparable recommendation. The team is eager and willing to assist you with all of your product questions."

I guess I'll just look around some places while I'm down there.
    1998 - Noblesville
    2000 - Noblesville
    2010 - Noblesville
    2012 - San Fran (Oracle)
    2018 - Wrigley
  • Options
    Everyone relax.

It was the same with the Robert Johnson Hellhound Ale. I went they day the stores got it and they would only sell me 2 at the time. Weeks later they still had it, or other shipments came in so they had more.

Same thing with Miles Davis Bitches Brew. I saw that stuff for a while. I would occasionally buy it when I saw it. Was "limited" but available.

But then again we're dealing with the Pearl Jam fanatics. We're also dealing with hardcore DFH fans.
    Gonna be fun. And there's some overlapping of DFH and PJ fans.

I'm looking for it on draft in Atlanta.
    "Mark it 20, Dude."
  • Options
    PorchsitterPorchsitter Loganville, GA Posts: 1,069
    Evensteven wrote:

Can't wait!
    We are the facilitators of our own creative evolution.--Bill Hicks
  • Options
    Evensteven wrote:

Can't wait!

Porter is leaning towards YES.
    "Mark it 20, Dude."
  • Options
    dougfloyd wrote:
    Well, I struck out on the idea of ordering some to get while on vacation in Florida:

"Thank you for contacting the Total Wine and More Customer Care Department. This item is an unfamiliar item. More than likely this item has yet to reach the United States. Unfortunately, we cannot Special Order it.

Please feel free to contact the Naples Total Wine & More at 239-649-4979 for a comparable recommendation. The team is eager and willing to assist you with all of your product questions."

I guess I'll just look around some places while I'm down there.

I forgot to mention just yesterday at a bar they still had a Robert Johnson Hellhound Ale... bought the bottle there and drank it. 8 months later they still had it.
    "Mark it 20, Dude."
  • Options
    DFH & PJ!

(better than bump?)
    "Mark it 20, Dude."
  • Options
    RKCNDYRKCNDY Seattle, WA Posts: 31,013
    camaros wrote:
    If DFH were smart, and I bet they are... They will have mountains and mountains of merchandise available... They will make a killing if you get PJ and DFH on t shirts and hats and coasters and glasses and tap handles and bottle openers and POSTERS, and a vinyl that plays Faithful like 20 times

DFH does sell Patagonia backpacks...doesn't look like it has a PJ20 stitched on it though... :think:
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    Guitarhero27Guitarhero27 Posts: 2,146
    shep wrote:
    quick question for everyone who is really famaillar with DFH brewing practices, cause I see atleast 1 major issue....

Does DFH normally put preservatives in their beer, or are they an "all natural" company? I'm not going to lie, I do enjoy a glass of their 90 minute IPA every now and then, and I always try the seasonals... however I'm not over famaillar with their brewing practices....

If there are no preservatives in the beer, the beer itself will only have a shelf life for 60-90 days... so saving the "Faithful Ale" to drink later on down the road is not a good idea.... and depending on the type of yeast used bottles could actually explode down the road if the fermenting process isn't finished in a specific way...

just an FYI for non-craft beer drinkers who may be seeking this limited release....

Not to dampen your "craft beer drinking experience" but "depending on the type of yeast used bottles could actually explode down the road..." is a bit much. Highly highly highly unlikely to ever happen unless there is a problem with the specific bottles or if the CO2 levels are off, in which the bottles would be immediately recalled. Very very rare of this to happen, although Victory had a problem with one of their beers a year or so back, but really, no need to make people panic.

As for a shelf life of 60-90 days, try at least a year on this SPECIFIC style of beer. Could very well even last two if aged properly in a cellar. 60-90 days isn't even a fair shot for an IPA beer, although some real beer "geeks" would complain that the hops are already old.

www.beeradvocate.com for all your researching pleasures not to mention www.homebrewtalk.com to get familiar with brewing practices.

-Seth
    9/29/96, 8/29/98, 9/8,11/98, 7/28/99, 8/23,24,25/00, 10/13/00, 4/15/03, 4/30/03, 7/8,9,12,14/03, 10/1/04, 9/30/05, 10/1/05, 5/4,5,13,27,28/06, 6/1,3/06, 6/19,20,22,24,25,27/08, 7/1/08, 8/4,5,7,16/08, 8/21/09, 10/27,28,30,31/09, 5/15,17,18,20,21/10, 9/2/12, 10/18,19,21,22,25/13
  • Options
    shepshep Houston Posts: 5,647

Not to dampen your "craft beer drinking experience" but "depending on the type of yeast used bottles could actually explode down the road..." is a bit much. Highly highly highly unlikely to ever happen unless there is a problem with the specific bottles or if the CO2 levels are off, in which the bottles would be immediately recalled. Very very rare of this to happen, although Victory had a problem with one of their beers a year or so back, but really, no need to make people panic.

As for a shelf life of 60-90 days, try at least a year on this SPECIFIC style of beer. Could very well even last two if aged properly in a cellar. 60-90 days isn't even a fair shot for an IPA beer, although some real beer "geeks" would complain that the hops are already old.

http://www.beeradvocate.com for all your researching pleasures not to mention http://www.homebrewtalk.com to get familiar with brewing practices.

-Seth

Thanks for the info.

I like to drink craft beer... I don't necessarily read up about it anymore than to read the description of flavors...

And yes, I agree with you that it is rare to have a beer "explode"... and to be fair, I didn't mean that in the perspective of exploding bottles, I meant that in the perspective of the tops coming off and beer either losing it's carbonation or making a mess of a fridge... maybe I shouldn't have used a word as dramatic as "exploding"... :lol:

Although this one time I did make some home-brew that exploded the glass bottle... but we were inexperienced at making home brew at the time... and it did turn into a great party when we took the tops off all the bottles in the batch and invited all our friends over to drink it all before the beer lost its carbonation... 8-)

as for the shelf life, i was going by what is printed on the 6-pack holder... a lot of the craft beers I drink do not contain preservatives and I've seen it written on the label that it has a shelf life of somewhere in the range of 60-90 days... so I guess I need to do more research... :shock:
    Houston, Texas... Believe it or not, there are 7 million people here... must be a couple of fans who'd love to see you play.
  • Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,629
    shep wrote:

http://www.beeradvocate.com for all your researching pleasures not to mention http://www.homebrewtalk.com to get familiar with brewing practices.

-Seth

Thanks for the info.

I like to drink craft beer... I don't necessarily read up about it anymore than to read the description of flavors...

And yes, I agree with you that it is rare to have a beer "explode"... and to be fair, I didn't mean that in the perspective of exploding bottles, I meant that in the perspective of the tops coming off and beer either losing it's carbonation or making a mess of a fridge... maybe I shouldn't have used a word as dramatic as "exploding"... :lol:

Although this one time I did make some home-brew that exploded the glass bottle... but we were inexperienced at making home brew at the time... and it did turn into a great party when we took the tops off all the bottles in the batch and invited all our friends over to drink it all before the beer lost its carbonation... 8-)

as for the shelf life, i was going by what is printed on the 6-pack holder... a lot of the craft beers I drink do not contain preservatives and I've seen it written on the label that it has a shelf life of somewhere in the range of 60-90 days... so I guess I need to do more research... :shock:

I'm not so sure it's a preservative issue. I think a lot of beers will age nicely, but they don't due to the a small amount of air getting into the bottle through the cap over time. I have a few beers over two years old, and the bottles have a "best after" date on them, about a year after they were made. The brewery in those cases, waxed the top of the bottle to give it a better seal.
  • Options
    Guitarhero27Guitarhero27 Posts: 2,146
    shep wrote:

-Seth

Thanks for the info.

All good, no worries...and the home brew that exploded was due to the yeast still being alive and well when you carbonated the beer causing it to ferment in the bottle and having no room for the CO2 to escape, causing the exploding bottle or gushing carbonation.

As for the previous poster regarding air getting in the bottle over time...Oxidation...inevitable unless there is a wax seal (which could sometimes get into the beer while opening even delicately...) but for all non-experienced beer drinkers...if your beer tastes like a wet bandaid...that would be due to oxidation.
    9/29/96, 8/29/98, 9/8,11/98, 7/28/99, 8/23,24,25/00, 10/13/00, 4/15/03, 4/30/03, 7/8,9,12,14/03, 10/1/04, 9/30/05, 10/1/05, 5/4,5,13,27,28/06, 6/1,3/06, 6/19,20,22,24,25,27/08, 7/1/08, 8/4,5,7,16/08, 8/21/09, 10/27,28,30,31/09, 5/15,17,18,20,21/10, 9/2/12, 10/18,19,21,22,25/13
  • Options
    Just got the fanclub single in the mail today. It's free to anybody who's willing to sell me some Faithfull Ale :D
    1998 - Noblesville
    2000 - Noblesville
    2010 - Noblesville
    2012 - San Fran (Oracle)
    2018 - Wrigley
  • Options
    CloneOfASonCloneOfASon Madison, WI Posts: 1,080
    81 wrote:
    Argh! :evil: I was on a total Dogfish Head boycott since they pulled out of the Midwest (they made it real easy! ;) ) but now I'm thinking of giving in. I'll admit I haven't read all 25 pages of this thread, but anyone out there willing to buy & ship me a 6-pack/case for cost+shipping (can I offer more than that? don't wanna get in trouble!) I'll scan/email my driver's license :D:lol:

i think i live in the midwest....and it's still plentiful aroudn these parts....

it's coming in 750ml bottles, so i doubt there will be six packs....

guy at Binny's said very limited....i asked if i could pre order a case but he didn't reply to that questions...

suffice to say, i will be keeping an eye out and buying every bottle that i see.....if i succeed, i'll make sure you get one.

Thanks :D DFH completely pulled out of WI, it's not available anywhere I used to get it anymore. I'm gonna make sure to pick some up whenever I'm in IL.

I'll have to check with my cousin too - he's a liquor distributor (mostly wine) but maybe he has some inside contacts :)
  • Options
    RiverrunnerRiverrunner Posts: 2,419
    Thanks :D DFH completely pulled out of WI, it's not available anywhere I used to get it anymore. I'm gonna make sure to pick some up whenever I'm in IL.

I'll have to check with my cousin too - he's a liquor distributor (mostly wine) but maybe he has some inside contacts :)

The beer guy at my store said DFH was no longer sold in Illinois. He said they withdrew from a whole lot of states. Kentucky still gets it for now. But he said there was only a 50-50 chance that his store would get the Faithful Ale.
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way it treats its animals. Ghandi
  • Options
    cbrunelle783cbrunelle783 Posts: 1,025
    demetrios wrote:
    shep wrote:
    demetrios wrote:
    D'oh! Will have to try & find someone to send me a few of these up here. Never had booze shipped from the USA to CDN before. Any help on an 8 pack would be great!! ;)

D, I hate to be a total bummer, but you cannot ship anything liquid between US and Canada (going either way). If customs catches it, it will not go through. You can lie when they ask you "Does this contain a liquid" and take your chances, but I've had people try and send me some old sams rum from NL to Texas on several occassions and it has never made it.

Guess it'll be alright if they send a bottle or 2 with no booze inside. Just empty bottles. :(

You can have it in your car but you can only have 2 bottles. My sister is living in NS right now and brought some NS wine home to RI.
    Boston 5/17/10
    Tres Mts. 3/27/11
    EV Solo:Providence 6/15/11 Boston 6/16/11 Hartford 6/18/11
    PJ20 9/3/11-9/4/11

Concert Wishlist: I am Mine, Marker in the Sand, Parachutes, In Hiding, All Those Yesterdays, I Got Shit, Long Road, Light Years
  • Options

The beer guy at my store said DFH was no longer sold in Illinois. He said they withdrew from a whole lot of states. Kentucky still gets it for now. But he said there was only a 50-50 chance that his store would get the Faithful Ale.
    Maybe southern illinois, but not chicagoland. DFH is overly abundant at all binnys and whole foods up here.
  • Options
    RiverrunnerRiverrunner Posts: 2,419

Maybe southern illinois, but not chicagoland. DFH is overly abundant at all binnys and whole foods up here.

Really? My guy is either mistaken or fibbing. I'll have to check the Southern Illinois stores. Thanks.
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way it treats its animals. Ghandi
  • Options
    megatronmegatron Posts: 3,420
    talked to shop owner. his dogfish rep was coming in today and hes going to ask for me.
  • Options
    RKCNDYRKCNDY Seattle, WA Posts: 31,013
    If I am unable to secure any DFH here, I will make someone a beer can hat if they send me 2 bottles.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    I have a spot in Portland (Ore) that carries their beer looking into it for me. He said he would call or email me after he hears from them about the possibility of his store getting some in. He seemed pretty confident that he would be able to obtain it.
    Gorge