Options

I"m so glad barack hussien obama won...

Comments

• Options
    jamie uk wrote:
    What is this? whare's all the political Pearl Jam anthems from the 90's?? :o

No one bothered to answer so I will:

Even Flow touches on mental illness and homelessness.

Porch is the song where Ed wrote PRO CHOICE on his arm back in 92 on Unplugged. Not sure if the song has anything to do with that issue.

Daughter. Child abuse.

Glorified G is to do with Ed's anger about drummer Dave's gun collection. Anti-gun song.

WMA is about racism. Ed saw a black guy getting hassled by the cops and it pissed him off. Hence the lyrics.

Betterman. Domestic violence.

I think this list is longer but I didn't feel like researching. Anyway, whether or not you noticed they've been political the whole time. The concerts may have become more overtly political in recent years but I'd suspect this coincides with the Bush years which rubbed a lot of us the wrong way.

Even more reason to hate Bush. Seriously, was the problem the Bush administration and the direction of this country or was the problem that Eddie Vedder talked too much in concerts? Get some perspective.
  • Options
    I just wonder what it will be like when all the people who hate Pearl Jam "getting political" or mentioning anything in the way of an opinion on some social issue, or betraying their progressive, liberal political beliefs, stop going to see them in concert...

Just imagine how nice it will be to see the band in a room full of fans who just want to see and hear them play, and who are content to have them do whatever the fuck they want to do, play whatever song they want to play, and say whatever they want to say, and who won't bitch and moan about it!!

But, there really probably aren't that many people out there who do bitch about the politics and who would really have the courage to stand behind their rants and actually do us all a favor and sit the next tour out ... more than likely they will still go to the shows and just continue to bitch about it.

But if they do put their money where their mouth is, then I'll be glad to have a little better chance of getting tickets next time if I don't have to compete with them for seats to the show.
    I was alone and far away when I heard the band start playing!

...I was always a DeadHead, but when I first heard Winston Rodney, aka the Burning Spear, sing, I became a SpearHead too!
  • Options
    Each concert ticket we buy funds wars & invasions & mass murders through the taxes on the tickets.

"Everyone who pays taxes has blood on their hands" - Malachi Ritscher
    A child's rhyme stuck in my head...
    It said "Life is nothing but a dream."
    I've spent so many years in question
    To find I'd known this all along.
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,584
    spearhead wrote:
    I just wonder what it will be like when all the people who hate Pearl Jam "getting political" or mentioning anything in the way of an opinion on some social issue, or betraying their progressive, liberal political beliefs, stop going to see them in concert...

Just imagine how nice it will be to see the band in a room full of fans who just want to see and hear them play, and who are content to have them do whatever the fuck they want to do, play whatever song they want to play, and say whatever they want to say, and who won't bitch and moan about it!!

But, there really probably aren't that many people out there who do bitch about the politics and who would really have the courage to stand behind their rants and actually do us all a favor and sit the next tour out ... more than likely they will still go to the shows and just continue to bitch about it.

But if they do put their money where their mouth is, then I'll be glad to have a little better chance of getting tickets next time if I don't have to compete with them for seats to the show.

Who said anything about not going to shows because of Ed's political speech or horrible protest song (No More)? I'm okay with Ed taking 5 minutes to talk about politics. Doesn't bother me at all. What bothers me is the horrible song that is No More. But you know what? I also despise Last Kiss as well. That song kills any encore.

But, the only time I've been angered by Pearl Jam's politics is the VH1 Storytellers. When Ed changed the meaning of Better Man to be about George Bush, I thought that went too far. That was ridiculous, and the whole Storytellers being about politics was ridiculous. I can turn on CNN EVERYDAY to hear about politics. Having one VH1 Storytellers, I would have preferred to hear about stories relating to the band. But, I'm not a sheep, so I guess I'm wrong.

Again, just because we don't agree with most of PJ's politics, doesn't mean that we can't enjoy their music or concerts. It just makes us open-minded, and makes you close-minded.
  • Options
    eyedclaar wrote:
    Hating on conservatives, specifically Bush and his supports, doesn't make one a close-minded bastard. It just means someone was paying attention. Oh, and real men like politics in their music.

Seems I went to two VFC shows, and enjoyed them both immensely, especially Grand Rapids. I think I am a real man because I do like politics and music, and can even like it when I disagree with the politics. You are weak because you can only listen to politics when you agree with it. You are weak!
  • Options
    I'm sure Ed really gives a fuck what you like and don't like!

I'm sure if he read this he would never sing another anti-war song again!

I'm sure all this criticism about his songs by people who have no fucking clue how to write a song..is just going to devastate him!

I'm sure he won't sleep at night knowing you might not be at his next show! (hopefully you stay home)

For those people who say shut up and sing..i say shut the fuck up and listen!!

I don't think the true fans on here who disagree with Ed's politics say shut and sing at concerts. Those are the drunks who show up to any concert. Last time I checked this was a free country where we could express that we (while agreeing that Ed can say what he wants, when he wants) think the politics sometimes detracts from the shows and the experience. But again, we aren't true fans because we don't agree with everything Ed says.
  • Options
    EvilRabbit wrote:
    No More War isn't a song to be "enjoyed," dumb-arses. You're missing the point. It's a message, a protest, a cry for change... .

shit by any other name is still shit, and No More is shit. If he really wants to change the world with song, he should write better songs.
    EvilRabbit wrote:
    It's not a song to consume for entertainment like Even Flow or In My Tree. It's an artist shedding light on a subject that's very dark, sad, and meaningful.

I can only assume you knuckleheads dissing the song need every PJ track to sound vaguely like it was recorded for Ten, so you can crank it in your Camaro. .
    you know what happens when you assume, but since we're all making shit up about people we dont know, i can only assume you are one of those holier-than-thou fans that hates Ten-NoCode and thinks that REAL pearl Jam fans only listen to Riot Act and Binaural. Pearl Jam fans that think albums like Ten are only for drunken frat boys make me want to vomit.
    EvilRabbit wrote:
    Go watch "Body of War" and shut the hell up about whether or not it's a good song to dance, eat, poop, drive, or f*** to.

And the U.K. guys on here talking U.S. politics should stop talking about it until they move here because they sound naive and ignorant as shite.
    for the record, i agree with most of the stuff eddie says, and it STILL ANNOYS THE FUCK OUT OF ME WHEN HE PREACHES. did i just blow your tiny little mind? are you dumbfounded? how could someone possibly share the same political views as Ed yet still find his preachy, drunken rants to be annoying (but not annoying enough to make me stop going)? DID I JUST TURN YOUR WHOLE WORLD UPSIDE DOWN!?!?!?!
  • Options
    Who said anything about not going to shows because of Ed's political speech or horrible protest song (No More)? I'm okay with Ed taking 5 minutes to talk about politics. Doesn't bother me at all. What bothers me is the horrible song that is No More. But you know what? I also despise Last Kiss as well. That song kills any encore.

But, the only time I've been angered by Pearl Jam's politics is the VH1 Storytellers. When Ed changed the meaning of Better Man to be about George Bush, I thought that went too far. That was ridiculous, and the whole Storytellers being about politics was ridiculous. I can turn on CNN EVERYDAY to hear about politics. Having one VH1 Storytellers, I would have preferred to hear about stories relating to the band. But, I'm not a sheep, so I guess I'm wrong.

Again, just because we don't agree with most of PJ's politics, doesn't mean that we can't enjoy their music or concerts. It just makes us open-minded, and makes you close-minded.

Well, I certainly hope I'm not being close minded ... I don't think I am.
    And I don't mean to suggest you shouldn't go to shows ... is there room for all of us? I think so ... these are serious issues, and I know we all take them seriously, I just think the Band's heart, and their politics are in just the right place, and I think they've damn well earned the right to say whatever they want to, but then so have you and I
    I was alone and far away when I heard the band start playing!

...I was always a DeadHead, but when I first heard Winston Rodney, aka the Burning Spear, sing, I became a SpearHead too!
  • Options
    ajedigeckoajedigecko \m/deplorable af \m/ Posts: 2,430
    Fans of quality songwriting do. No more songs like 'No More' and 'World Wide Suicide'.
    i like world wide suicide.
    live and let live...unless it violates the pearligious doctrine.
  • Options
    ajedigecko wrote:
    i like world wide suicide.

Me too...a lot.
    "P-E-A-R-L J-A-M is priceless to me."
  • Options
    She's my Cherry Pie!!!!
  • Options
    Its refreshing to see and hear a great band create music and lyrics that not only have deep meaning and emotion, but are relevant to current affairs. no matter what side of the party line your on, it's a hell of a lot better than anything on the radio.
  • Options
    I believe the people on here saying the fans who like No More and all the political talk are closed minded is funny as hell.

You all are the close minded ones. You can't handle it so your flipping it on us. Were not the ones crying and saying, stop it Eddie, cut it out Eddie, Eddie don't say bad things about republicans. You can't handle it and it hurts you in your scrotum's. Tough shit, Ed has already said "FUCK EM" to all you who whine about it, watch Storytellers.

You close minded cry babies. And for the record, a black man is your leader.........hurts don't it.

I love it baby.
  • Options
    This thread needs to go away...

It's just a bunch of pointless arguing that has resulted in many insults.
    Nathan
  • Options
    PJAMEDVED wrote:
    I believe the people on here saying the fans who like No More and all the political talk are closed minded is funny as hell.

You all are the close minded ones. You can't handle it so your flipping it on us. Were not the ones crying and saying, stop it Eddie, cut it out Eddie, Eddie don't say bad things about republicans. You can't handle it and it hurts you in your scrotum's. Tough shit, Ed has already said "FUCK EM" to all you who whine about it, watch Storytellers.

You close minded cry babies. And for the record, a black man is your leader.........hurts don't it.

I love it baby.

Wow, you bringing up race. Interesting. I thought we elected a president, but to you he is a black president. I hope our president does a great job. People like you are disgusting. You see people in color. Very disgusting. It is funny you claim we are close-minded. Let's do some analysis, please see below:

Close-Minded (You):
    When we voice our opinions you say "fuck em" and then bring race up, which makes no sense at all. When Ed voices his opinion, we still keep coming back to the shows. We don't say, "fuck em".

Open-Minded (Me):
    People like me who have listed to Pearl Jam more than half there lives, who spend their vacations following PJ around, who learn every song on guitar, and sing along to every lyric, even when we may disagree sometimes with what is sung or said. This definition could fit in the dictionary.
  • Options
    This thread needs to go away...

It's just a bunch of pointless arguing that has resulted in many insults.

I don't think it is pointless. We say that a couple Pearl Jam songs are bad, and we're told to stop listening to the band. It's crazy, to think that just because you disagree with someone's politices (and not all of it, maybe 25%), we are supposed to dislike someone. It is important that people on here who claim to be liberal and open-minded, should know how close-minded they are. It is OBVIOUS that if they disagreed with someone's politics, that they would disregard them and ignore them. That doesn't sound open-minded to me, but it does sound like a liberal.
  • Options
    I don't think it is pointless. We say that a couple Pearl Jam songs are bad, and we're told to stop listening to the band. It's crazy, to think that just because you disagree with someone's politices (and not all of it, maybe 25%), we are supposed to dislike someone. It is important that people on here who claim to be liberal and open-minded, should know how close-minded they are. It is OBVIOUS that if they disagreed with someone's politics, that they would disregard them and ignore them. That doesn't sound open-minded to me, but it does sound like a liberal.
    yeah whatever dude, you dont like No More, so of course you are a closeminded racist hick who can't take differing viewpoints. If you dont like everything about Pearl Jam you arent a real fan.

wait a minute, my above statement made no fucking sense at all. please disregard.
  • Options
    writersuwritersu Posts: 1,867
    now when i spend 160 dollars on concert tickets i wont have to hear eddie spend half the show telling everyone about how evil bush is and hopefully they'll cut out all the anti war songs and maybe they're next record wont be smothered with shitty political songs..

you never know.........isn't it a musical thing to be against the establishment?

I still will be bitching.....I am so pissed he won.
    Baby, You Wouldn't Last a Minute on The Creek......

Together we will float like angels.........

In the moment that you left the room, the album started skipping, goodbye to beauty shared with the ones that you love.........
  • Options

So all liberals are close-minded, while all people who think like you are open-minded. Oh, ok.
  • Options
    We say that a couple Pearl Jam songs are bad, and we're told to stop listening to the band.

It's not simply the disliking of a couple of songs, because that would be fine, but some people say things like: hopefully Pearl Jam won't write "shitty political songs," or they don't want to "waste money on tickets" to see Eddie speak his mind. Statements like that ooze negative connotation. So fine: You dislike World Wide Suicide, but don't just say it's "a shitty political song," because that's automatically polarizing and doesn't invite friendly conversation (which is what a message board is for).
    "P-E-A-R-L J-A-M is priceless to me."
  • Options

Imagine that.

Fits you well.
  • Options
    Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    W.M.A hehe lol :P

Thought I'd try lighten things up here.....
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    what it essentially boils down to...

Ed was always/will always be political....from day one!!so don't be surprised or upset when he gets political

when i hear people say stupid shit about him ranting or singing/writing anti-war protest songs or bashing Bush...I say what fucking band have you been listening to for the past 17 yrs??

Ed speaks from the heart and you should ALL be happy to have him speak out against all the lies/corruption and bullshit that goes on in our government!!if you like mindless head in the sand music..find another band.

you don't get to pick and choose Ed's personality or who he is! You don't get to dictate what he says just because you purchased a fucking ticket!!You don't get to say...ok i love this kind of music you play but don't play this other stuff because i don't like it!!

You take him for what he is or don't come to the fucking show and don't buy the fucking album..PERIOD!!

"no more" is awesome and i appreciate Ed putting himself out there by speaking up and putting his giant heart on his sleeve because he isn't just another mindless drone slash irrelevant lyricist...

i may not agree 100% with him on certain things but i agree on the much broader picture of preserving freedom and ending this illegal "war".If you aren't for both of those too it doesn't make you a republican/conservative/pro-American/pro-Bush...it makes you a fucking moron..plain and simple!!!

frankly,i speak for myself when i say i am sick to death of these mindless sheep who rather listen to some meaningless song they can obliviously shake their ass to rather than listen to a song that deals with very important issues and forces you to think about the fucked up state of our country/planet!

if you're looking for escapism...go see NickelBack...stay the fuck away from the PJ concert!!

or at least stop bitching when you know what to expect before you even buy your ticket!...I'm sure Ed will still sing Jeremy for you.
  • Options
    ajedigeckoajedigecko \m/deplorable af \m/ Posts: 2,430
    PJMosquito wrote:
    Me too...a lot.
    good to hear.....there does not seem to be many of us left.
    live and let live...unless it violates the pearligious doctrine.
  • Options
    angryyoungmanangryyoungman Medford, NY Posts: 1,028
    iamica wrote:
    Pearl Jam has always been a political band, and they will always be a political band.
    If you don't like them talking politics, don't go to their concerts. I'm sick of people complaining about it. They're not a jukebox, they're a band, and they have a right to their opinions!
    +1
    i have wished for so long, how i wish for you today
    JEFFREY ROSS ROGERS 1975-2002

9.10.98 NYC / 8.23.00 JONES BEACH /4.30.03 UNIONDALE / 7.9.03 NYC /5.12.06 ALBANY/ 6.1.06 E.RUTHEFORD/ 6.3.06 E. RUTHEFORD/ CAMDEN 6.19.08/ NYC 6.24.08/ NYC 6.25.08/ HARTFORD 6.27.08/ CHICAGO 8.24.09/ PHILLY 10.31.09/ HARTFORD 5.15.10/ NEWARK 5.18.10/ NYC 5.20.10/ CHICAGO 7.19.13/ BROOKLYN 10.18.13/ BROOKLYN 10.19.13/ HARTFORD 10.25.13/ NYC 9.26.15/ 4.8.16 FT. LAUDERDALE/ 4.9.16 MIAMI / 5.1.16 NYC/ 5.2.16 NYC / 8.5.16 BOSTON / 8.7.16 BOSTON/ 8.20.18 CHICAGO/ 9.2.18 BOSTON/ 9.4.18 BOSTON/ 9.18.21 ASBURY PARK

finally, FUCK TICKETMASTER
  • Options
    Wow, you bringing up race. Interesting. I thought we elected a president, but to you he is a black president. I hope our president does a great job. People like you are disgusting. You see people in color. Very disgusting. It is funny you claim we are close-minded. Let's do some analysis, please see below:

Close-Minded (You):
    When we voice our opinions you say "fuck em" and then bring race up, which makes no sense at all. When Ed voices his opinion, we still keep coming back to the shows. We don't say, "fuck em".

Open-Minded (Me):
    People like me who have listed to Pearl Jam more than half there lives, who spend their vacations following PJ around, who learn every song on guitar, and sing along to every lyric, even when we may disagree sometimes with what is sung or said. This definition could fit in the dictionary.

You dumb turd. I said Eddie Vedder said "fuck em". Watch storytellers you buffoun. I bring up race because I know a huge percentage of you republicans hate the fact he's black. Ed just did an interview talking about him being black. You just don't want to mention it because you don't like it. I see him as what he is, a great, smart black man who is my leader. I ain't whispering it, like you want to. He is my new hero and I love him for what he's already doing to restore this country to greatness because Bush was an evil person and crushed it.
  • Options
    Carlos DCarlos D Posts: 638
    PJAMEDVED wrote:
    You dumb turd. I said Eddie Vedder said "fuck em". Watch storytellers you buffoun. I bring up race because I know a huge percentage of you republicans hate the fact he's black. Ed just did an interview talking about him being black. You just don't want to mention it because you don't like it. I see him as what he is, a great, smart black man who is my leader. I ain't whispering it, like you want to. He is my new hero and I love him for what he's already doing to restore this country to greatness because Bush was an evil person and crushed it.

So you're accusing him of being racist because he thinks No More is a crap song?Classy.There's a million and one great anti-war songs out there and some people just happen to think No More isn't one of them.If you don't think that then fair enough,I can see why people love it,but you don't have to invent issues(such as your rant about racism)which aren't really there.
    I've no problem with Ed talking politics and neither do most people,it's just that whole thing of,'If you don't agree with Ed you're a bigot' that a lot of people on here seem to suggest that really irritates me because it's done in the name of tolerance when in fact it's anything but tolerant.
    And as for the person who said anyone who doesn't like the political stuff is just looking for music to 'shake their ass to',get a grip will you,I'd gladly listen to a song about the 'state of our planet' if I thought it was any good.
    It may be the devil or it may be the Lord
    But you're gonna have to serve somebody.

www.bebo.com/pearljam06
  • Options
    dont any of you get the feeling you are being talked down to? like you arent smart enough to get it on your own. no, you need a drunken rock star to enlighten you. i dont like being lectured, even if i agree with him. sorry.

i'm gonna keep going to Pearl Jam shows, and I'll keep bitching about his drunken rants, so there. deal with it.
  • Options
    PJAMEDVED wrote:
    that post really makes me sick.
  • Options
    the wolfthe wolf Posts: 7,027
    *yawn*

this subject is tired.

deal with it, Ed and the boys are a political bunch. he is afforded the opportunity to have a microphone, and "captive" audience.

dont go to the shows.
    Peace, Love.

"To question your government is not unpatriotic --
    to not question your government is unpatriotic."
    -- Sen. Chuck Hagel