Options

I"m so glad barack hussien obama won...

Comments

• Options
    Muppet: "Well, they're not just electing one man in charge, even though the huge emphasis on Obama makes it appear that way. With Obama comes 1,700 (is that the right number or am I way off? Remeber reading it somewhere) new employees of The White House, including policy makers, cheif of staff, communications director etc."

I heard nearly 5,000.
  • Options
    drummer96 wrote:
    i agree. although, when obama leads us into the beginning of the end of our nation as we know it (which is what is going to happen) im sure eddie will stand up against the liberals that are ruining it right??!! ... lol i HATE liberals and i HATE politcs.

That is an ignorant thing to say.

If you're being serious then I'm going to assume that you voted for G. W. Bush who did more to harm our nation, and our nation's prospects, than any other President in modern history. That being said, if America is indeed headed to it's end (which I optimistically fail to believe), it was most surely started along it's way by Mr. Bush and his dastardly leadership...

President-elect Obama will become one of our nation's greatest leaders, and you will eat your words.
    "P-E-A-R-L J-A-M is priceless to me."
  • Options
    SongburstSongburst Posts: 1,195
    drummer96 wrote:
    i agree. although, when obama leads us into the beginning of the end of our nation as we know it (which is what is going to happen) im sure eddie will stand up against the liberals that are ruining it right??!! ... lol i HATE liberals and i HATE politcs.

I always find it funny that "liberals" are associated with the Democratic party. In any other country in the world, the Democratic party would be the right-wing party of choice.

I've met way too many Americans that think like this too. Usually you have to wipe the drool off their bibs and spin their helicopter hat to keep them occupied and then they stop bothering you.
    1/12/1879, 4/8/1156, 2/6/1977, who gives a shit, ...
  • Options
    Songburst wrote:
    I've met way too many Americans that think like this too. Usually you have to wipe the drool off their bibs and spin their helicopter hat to keep them occupied and then they stop bothering you.

Well said! Progressive government = Progressive country...
  • Options
    OpenOpen Posts: 792
    Only selfish egocentrics complain about the speeches.
    "Change everything about you so i can enjoy a concert" Speaks volumes about the person.
  • Options
    PJMosquito wrote:
    This is an ignorant thing to say...

If you're being serious then I'm going to assume that you voted for G. W. Bush who did more to harm our nation, and our nation's prospects, than any other President in modern history. That being said, if America is indeed headed to it's end (which I optimistically fail to believe), it was most surely started along it's way by Mr. Bush and his dastardly leadership...

President-elect Obama will become one of our nation's greatest leaders, and you will eat your words.

You certainly are a good hater..
  • Options
    Open wrote:

Not hate. Just honesty.

Bush really did a lot to hurt this country. It's hard to say that liberals are going to tear this country down when the current conservative President already has. You know?
  • Options
    well if Vedder must preach at shows, i hope he at least doesnt drink a bottle of wine before he does. half the time i can't even decipher what the fuck he's talking about.

but what am i saying? he wouldnt be nearly as entertaining then! drink up Ed.
  • Options
    a lot of sour grapes these days

ha ha ha ha ha
    the Minions
  • Options
    aNiMaLaNiMaL Posts: 7,117
    Open wrote:
    Hahaha, hater. That would be all the doom and gloom, anti-Obama folks who are rallying against a man who hasn;t even taken the oath of the office.

PJMosquito is just calling it as he sees it.
  • Options
    smile05smile05 Posts: 600
    Bring back Bush

Next album will be Big Wave x11
    1:Black 2:Corduroy 3:All Those Yesterdays 4:I Got ID 5:Smile

They can buy but cant put on my clothes
    Throw down my ace in the hole~~~~~~

Let's go for three in a row, no sorry i can't think of anything thats not funny. - Paul Merton

London96,Manchester00,Berlin06,London07
  • Options
    FahkaFahka Posts: 3,187
    what are you guys, a bunch of yentas? This does remind of what a victory we had with the election. So glad to see the futile ones have to deal with something they don't believe in for once;)

and as far as political songs go... i love them. I like to hear pearl jam's views at shows. Just as id expect to see titties at a motley crue show, i expect to hear what pearl jam believes in when i go to a show.

Everything in moderation is a good rule to live by though.
  • Options
    smithnicsmithnic Posts: 1,559
    There's a part in the movie where Jeff essentially goes, "I'm not even sure why if one was supporting Bush they would come to our shows."

Pearl Jam has been, is, and will continue to be a political band. If you don't like it... Oh well. Deal! It's nothing new!
    Go Get 'Em Tigers!
  • Options
    Dark Grin wrote:
    Dissent powers democracy. You should be thankful to bands like Pearl Jam for keeping politics in the discourse. Without them we'd spend all of our time spreading celebrity gossip!

I'll take inspired, passionate artists anyday. And the election of a promising leader won't take that away from this band, I think.
    And who really wants to follow Miley or Brittny or tomkat or yada yada yada? lol
    "So forget the other boys because my love is real.
    Come off your battlefield."
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,610
    smithnic wrote:
    There's a part in the movie where Jeff essentially goes, "I'm not even sure why if one was supporting Bush they would come to our shows."

Pearl Jam has been, is, and will continue to be a political band. If you don't like it... Oh well. Deal! It's nothing new!

Jeff was referring to the Vote for Change shows, not all Pearl Jam shows. I would hope Jeff isn't a close-minded bastard.
  • Options
    Sonic19Sonic19 Posts: 159
    Ripping on WWS for being a shitty song and leaving out Bushleaguer...ahahahahaha.
    Stay positive and love your life
    Hooray Florida shows
  • Options
    This doesn't feel like a Pearl Jam discussion board anymore.

Where's the love for the band? I'm not talking about blind obedience, just respect for who they are. Their ideology is a major part of their identity, even a driving force behind their creativity. I would have lost interest in them years ago if this part of the band was absent.
  • Options
    UKpearljammerUKpearljammer Bath, UK Posts: 910
    I don't think it would be possible for No More to be a good song regardless of the subject matter. And I didn't see the original poster say all political songs were badly written, you put those words in his mouth. Next time you call someone an idiot, try to remember the apostrophe in you're.

That's your opinion, but I actually love No More as a song regardless of the political views. Let's not be petty eh so someone left out an apostrophe, big deal!
    My PJ shows:
    London 28/10/96, Las Vegas 11/7/98, London 29/5/00, Nurnburg 11/6/00, Prague 14/6/00, Salzburg 18/6/00, Verona 20/6/00, Milan 22/6/00, Zurich 23/6/00, New York 8-9/7/03, Boston 11/7/03, Reading Festival 27/8/06, Shepards Bush 11/8/09, Berlin 15/8/09, Manchester 17/8/09, London 18/8/09, Dublin 22/6/10, Belfast 23/6/10, London (HRC) 25/6/10, Alpine Valley (PJ20) 3-4/9/11, Manchester 20-21/6/12, Leeds 8/7/14, Milton Keynes 11/7/14 To be continued....
  • Options
    now when i spend 160 dollars on concert tickets i wont have to hear eddie spend half the show telling everyone about how evil bush is and hopefully they'll cut out all the anti war songs and maybe they're next record wont be smothered with shitty political songs..

Without a doubt this is one of the stupidest posts I have ever read on this board, and man, there have been some real dumb ones.
    How did you survive as a fan of this band so long, or, have you just been bitchin' the whole time you've been here?
    I was alone and far away when I heard the band start playing!

...I was always a DeadHead, but when I first heard Winston Rodney, aka the Burning Spear, sing, I became a SpearHead too!
  • Options
    aNiMaL wrote:
    Hahaha, hater. That would be all the doom and gloom, anti-Obama folks who are rallying against a man who hasn;t even taken the oath of the office.

PJMosquito is just calling it as he sees it.

Yeah..i misquoted...it was directed to the dude who said he hates liberals and hates politics..
  • Options
    jamie ukjamie uk Posts: 3,812
    Dark Grin wrote:
    This doesn't feel like a Pearl Jam discussion board anymore.

Where's the love for the band? I'm not talking about blind obedience, just respect for who they are. Their ideology is a major part of their identity, even a driving force behind their creativity. I would have lost interest in them years ago if this part of the band was absent.

It sometimes feels like it's not a discussion board, because whenever you don't go down on one knee to agree with every word about the band you get slammed.
    I don't love PJ because Eddie wrote WWS or because he scrawled 'pro-choice' on his arm, or because he hates G,W,B. They are all personal opinions of his and I feel closed off to them because I have my own thoughts and opinions, they may be similar or they may not.
    I fell in love with this band because Ed wrote Black and Alive, and Courdoroy, and Long Road and even Come Back....
    I love his writing about his experiences as a human, as a person with a heart, rather than him telling me who he votes for or who I should vote for....:o
    I came, I saw, I concurred.....
  • Options
    I love his writing about his experiences as a human, as a person with a heart,

Well his experiences he has felt over the last 8 years has led him to write this stuff. Ed is passionate about it. I dont agree with all of it but I love the energy of this band.
    I saw REM back in 95 at Sydney ent centre. Mike stipe just sang each song then at end of each one he said thats Blah blah and this is blah blah. It was so bloody boring. if you cannot listen to others opinions without feeling insulted etc well maybe you should watch a dvd so you can forward through it to the next song.

ED whatever you eant to sing/talk about BRING IT ON mate IM hanging for it.
    Oh and Down is a political song DOES THAT SUCK?????????
    AUSSIE AUSSIE AUSSIE
  • Options
    I appreciate the political songs but unless they are good songs it doesn't matter. No More KILLED the atmosphere at both shows I saw this summer.
    9/20/05 - Quebec City
    9/22/05 - Halifax
    6/19/08 - Camden 
    6/28/08 - Mansfield 
    9/07/11 - Montreal
    5/05/16 - Quebec City
  • Options
    dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    i have to say when Ed goes on a 3 minutes ramble about how shit Bush is i'd have much rather heard a song there... we all know how shit Bush is... play Lukin 3 times instead :)
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,124
    Sonic19 wrote:
    Ripping on WWS for being a shitty song and leaving out Bushleaguer...ahahahahaha.

I felt Bushleaguer could have been an amazing song . . . if it would not have been about Bush in spoken word format. McCready tears this song up on the live versions. It is my opinion that Ed's need to make a political statement pretty much ruined this song by making it very polarizing (if you don't believe me, ask those in attendance at the Uniondale 2003 show)

WWS is a pretty good song. I kind of dig the fact that is very much a pop song with intense lyrics.
  • Options
    URthekeyURthekey Posts: 1,677
    I agree w/the OP, I'm glad Obama won too.

But I also appreciate Ed providing alternative viewpoints to the media generated BS that most TV news sources feed us. PJ have an adgenda, to make us more informed voters, to pursuade us to become more environmentally consious, and to give us kick as music. Most other Rock bands DONT offer any solutions to today's social issues.
    Personally it makes me proud to say I'm a fan of PJ simply because their stance on said issues is known.
  • Options
    Gonzo1977Gonzo1977 Posts: 1,696
    Eddie wasn't exactly preaching to the choir in 2003.

The last half of the Riot Act tour was really intense; and I think the Political talk actually gave an edge to some of the shows like Uniondale and Denver that otherwise woudn't have been there.

Now both shows are legendary.

The country was very divided on Bush and the Iraq war in 2003.

It took alot of balls for Eddie to come out night after night and face the crowd and talk about how Bush was fucking up the country and how the Iraq War was bullshit.

And guess what?...
    Eddie was right!!

I guess the truth hurts for some people...

And it isn't like the band all of a sudden turned political overnight. Right Wing fans forget that Eddie bitched about Clinton all throughout the 1990's as well.

I don't remember there being such an uproar about that.

Perhaps these people that bitch about the politics at shows only do so when it's their party or their guy that's being attacked.

In my opinion Bush was an asshole and I'm glad Eddie took the piss out of him everynight.

Eddie was just expressing the same anger that all of us were feeling with this country.

Eddie has every right to speak his mind. I'd do the same thing if I had the mic.
  • Options
    eyedclaareyedclaar Posts: 6,980
    Jeff was referring to the Vote for Change shows, not all Pearl Jam shows. I would hope Jeff isn't a close-minded bastard.

Hating on conservatives, specifically Bush and his supports, doesn't make one a close-minded bastard. It just means someone was paying attention. Oh, and real men like politics in their music.
    Idaho's Premier Outdoor Writer

Please Support My Writing Habit By Purchasing A Book:

https://www.createspace.com/3437020

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000663025696

http://earthtremors.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    I agree.....no more is a bad bad song. I don't really care for politics, as a matter of fact I think there is way too much political bullshit all over the place. I heard the other the day that between the 2 cadidates they spent around 1 billion dollars on campaigning, 600M for Obama, 400M for McCain, that is absolutely ridiculous. TV ads for elections should be made illegal, the only things that should be allowed on TV are debates, and the candidates should set-up websites for people to look at if they want to learn more about their views. The last few campaigns and elections have been tiring, boring, and sometimes madenning with the amount of crap that everyone had to put up with. Especially when most things said on the campaign trail will most likely never happen, or if they do come to fruition will be completey different from the original plan. People don't realize that no matter what happens someone will always attack the reaction a person has. If Bush had decided not to attack Afghanistan after 9/11, people would have been furious because he didn't defend our country. If Bush had not gone into Iraq, and Hussein had attacked us as the Taliban did, people would have been furious about that. It just seems that no matter what happens there is always someone poised to oppose. Maybe Bush was being a warmonger, or maybe he was being passionate about the safety of this country and its citizens, who knows. All I know is we have a new person in the White House that will make some decisions and some changes that one group or another will inevitably disagree with. Nothing is ever going to be exactly as everyone wants it, it's just impossible, so all the political talk and campaigning and money and time spent on these things seems to be a little excessive. The band will always have something to say, even though I don't want to hear it either, but it's just something that people have the accept, and if you want to enjoy the 2 hours and 15 minutes of a show that aren't political, you may have to put up with the 15 mintues of a show that are political.
  • Options
    Gonzo1977Gonzo1977 Posts: 1,696
    Wow...If you can't stand the politics in Pearl Jam.
    You must really fucking hate Rage Against The Machine!!

Now there's a band that needs to learn how to write a song about fucking :)