Options

I"m so glad barack hussien obama won...

Comments

• Options
    I'm sure Ed really gives a fuck what you like and don't like!

I'm sure if he read this he would never sing another anti-war song again!

I'm sure all this criticism about his songs by people who have no fucking clue how to write a song..is just going to devastate him!

I'm sure he won't sleep at night knowing you might not be at his next show! (hopefully you stay home)

For those people who say shut up and sing..i say shut the fuck up and listen!!
  • Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388
    Gonzo1977 wrote:
    Eddie wasn't exactly preaching to the choir in 2003.

The last half of the Riot Act tour was really intense; and I think the Political talk actually gave an edge to some of the shows like Uniondale and Denver that otherwise woudn't have been there.

Now both shows are legendary.

The country was very divided on Bush and the Iraq war in 2003.

It took alot of balls for Eddie to come out night after night and face the crowd and talk about how Bush was fucking up the country and how the Iraq War was bullshit.

And guess what?...
    Eddie was right!!

I guess the truth hurts for some people...

And it isn't like the band all of a sudden turned political overnight. Right Wing fans forget that Eddie bitched about Clinton all throughout the 1990's as well.

I don't remember there being such an uproar about that.

Perhaps these people that bitch about the politics at shows only do so when it's their party or their guy that's being attacked.

In my opinion Bush was an asshole and I'm glad Eddie took the piss out of him everynight.

Eddie was just expressing the same anger that all of us were feeling with this country.

Eddie has every right to speak his mind. I'd do the same thing if I had the mic.

Exactly...

Ed's did survey during Toronto 2003...classic Ed...very entertaining..and it was refreshing to know you weren't the only one that realized we were being suckered by Dubya and his goons.

MSG this year..."No More" came on...had a guy in front of me become physically shaken..he ended up sitting down and covering up his ears.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388
    vierello wrote:
    I agree.....no more is a bad bad song. I don't really care for politics, as a matter of fact I think there is way too much political bullshit all over the place. I heard the other the day that between the 2 cadidates they spent around 1 billion dollars on campaigning, 600M for Obama, 400M for McCain, that is absolutely ridiculous. TV ads for elections should be made illegal, the only things that should be allowed on TV are debates, and the candidates should set-up websites for people to look at if they want to learn more about their views. The last few campaigns and elections have been tiring, boring, and sometimes madenning with the amount of crap that everyone had to put up with. Especially when most things said on the campaign trail will most likely never happen, or if they do come to fruition will be completey different from the original plan. People don't realize that no matter what happens someone will always attack the reaction a person has. If Bush had decided not to attack Afghanistan after 9/11, people would have been furious because he didn't defend our country. If Bush had not gone into Iraq, and Hussein had attacked us as the Taliban did, people would have been furious about that. It just seems that no matter what happens there is always someone poised to oppose. Maybe Bush was being a warmonger, or maybe he was being passionate about the safety of this country and its citizens, who knows. All I know is we have a new person in the White House that will make some decisions and some changes that one group or another will inevitably disagree with. Nothing is ever going to be exactly as everyone wants it, it's just impossible, so all the political talk and campaigning and money and time spent on these things seems to be a little excessive. The band will always have something to say, even though I don't want to hear it either, but it's just something that people have the accept, and if you want to enjoy the 2 hours and 15 minutes of a show that aren't political, you may have to put up with the 15 mintues of a show that are political.

YOu should care about politics and you should care what Bush's motivations were prior to going to WAR!
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    callen wrote:
    MSG this year..."No More" came on...had a guy in front of me become physically shaken..he ended up sitting down and covering up his ears.

some people are just too thick to understand Ed's a Patriot, not the fucks who inspired him to have to write these songs (chicken hawk warmongers).
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,380
    i hate coming on to threads this late i really don't have to much to add except that i HOPE ED NEVER STOPS SINGING POLITICALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL SONGSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
    there how do you like it DOUCHESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
    if people didn't like NO MORE why is it that 19,000 of us sang along with him at MSG why because we do care .assssssssssssssssssssssholessssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss.
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    i hate coming on to threads this late i really don't have to much to add except that i HOPE ED NEVER STOPS SINGING POLITICALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL SONGSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
    there how do you like it DOUCHESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
    if people didn't like NO MORE why is it that 19,000 of us sang along with him at MSG why because we do care .assssssssssssssssssssssholessssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss.

X 10 baby!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    X 10 baby!!!!!!!!

he he i knew i could count on you :D ..
  • Options
    he he i knew i could count on you :D ..

I got your back dog!! :D
  • Options
    I got your back dog!! :D

like wise here :D ...
  • Options
    josevolution and Crazy Breed....sounds like two kool-aid drinkers to me. You know not everything this band does is great. Sure most of it is, but not everything. It's ok for people not to like stuff.
    9/20/05 - Quebec City
    9/22/05 - Halifax
    6/19/08 - Camden 
    6/28/08 - Mansfield 
    9/07/11 - Montreal
    5/05/16 - Quebec City
  • Options
    josevolution and Crazy Breed....sounds like two kool-aid drinkers to me. You know not everything this band does is great. Sure most of it is, but not everything. It's ok for people not to like stuff.

is that a Jim Jones kool-aid reference? if so you are WAYYYYYYY off base!!

i understand that people can "not like a song",and if it's about the guitar riff...fine! but when people bitch about politics it drives me fucking nuts because these douche-bag politicians are selling us down the river and it's imperative that people come to this realization!!

so when i hear/see the "shut up and sing" assholes i want to choke them for being so complacent/stupid/apathetic...because their ignorance is detrimental to my freedom!!

plus Ed put himself out on a limb doing this style of music and he does it because he cares about humanity/freedom/peace...why the fuck would anyone have a problem with that??!!
  • Options
    I personally enjoy the politics when it is done in the form of a great song. Bushleaguer I thought was an enjoyable tune. Same story with 1/2 Full and WWS as well as the numerous "political" covers they have done. However, No More is a tad too contrived for my liking and based on the reaction (boos or in most cases general non-excitement) from crowds this summer my opinion is shared by many. Not all obviously but to each their own.

as for the person who said that it must be liked because everyone sang along with it that doesn't float with me. How many people on this board are tired of betterman but still sing along live? Crowd participation is the most dangerous form of peer pressure :)
    9/20/05 - Quebec City
    9/22/05 - Halifax
    6/19/08 - Camden 
    6/28/08 - Mansfield 
    9/07/11 - Montreal
    5/05/16 - Quebec City
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,610

I sang along because that is what you do at concerts. Do I think the song sucks though? Yep. Do I think Ed is an amazing songwriter? Yep.
  • Options
    Gonzo1977Gonzo1977 Posts: 1,696
    is that a Jim Jones kool-aid reference? if so you are WAYYYYYYY off base!!

i understand that people can "not like a song",and if it's about the guitar riff...fine! but when people bitch about politics it drives me fucking nuts because these douche-bag politicians are selling us down the river and it's imperative that people come to this realization!!

so when i hear/see the "shut up and sing" assholes i want to choke them for being so complacent/stupid/apathetic...because their ignorance is detrimental to my freedom!!

plus Ed put himself out on a limb doing this style of music and he does it because he cares about humanity/freedom/peace...why the fuck would anyone have a problem with that??!!

I totally agree.

I think the "small" portion of Pearl Jam's audience that finds this talk offensive, and complains about this shit are people that are just scared of reality.

There are plenty of bands out there that give you sugar with your coffee. Hell...American Idol will glady rub your nuts and steal you wallet at the same time...But rest assured ...You won't hear any of this SCARY POLITICAL talk from them.

And If it's just dawning on you now that Pearl Jam is a politcial band...then you obviously never got it from the start...

So Buck Up and grow a pair; this is the real world we live in
    and truth be told...it's scary as shit.

I'm glad someone has the balls to talk about it.

So if Ed wants to grab a mic and slam Bush for being a crooked punk mother-fucker...Well then more power to him.

They can't all be love songs.
  • Options
    I sang along because that is what you do at concerts. Do I think the song sucks though? Yep. Do I think Ed is an amazing songwriter? Yep.

I couldnt have said it better.
    9/20/05 - Quebec City
    9/22/05 - Halifax
    6/19/08 - Camden 
    6/28/08 - Mansfield 
    9/07/11 - Montreal
    5/05/16 - Quebec City
  • Options
    dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    For those people who say shut up and sing..i say shut the fuck up and listen!!

no.

who made you commander in fucking chief.

I'd rather hear a song thank you. :)
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • Options
    dunkman wrote:
    no.

who made you commander in fucking chief.

I'd rather hear a song thank you. :)

oh dunky...why must we quarrel so? I'm 12 & 1/2% Scottish! we could be kinfolk! ;):D
  • Options
    dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    oh dunky...why must we quarrel so? I'm 12 & 1/2% Scottish! we could be kinfolk! ;):D

:D
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • Options
    reading all of your replies has been fun and enlightening, i wanted to say that i've really gotten away from pearl jam lately after seeing a number of shows this summer mostly because ed takes the escapism away from a great night of music when he brings up politics, i'll admit that i have become more conservative over the years and now realize why people bitch about ed's rants because politics are a very touchy subject and when you openly bash an opposing side it takes away alot of your fans that want to enjoy what they paid to see, a great rock and roll band.
    8.29.00-4.29.03-4.30.03-5.2.03-7.2.03-7.3.03-7.8.03-7.9.03-7.11.03-9.28.04-9.29.04-10.1.04- 10.2.04-10.3.04-5.12.06-5.24.06-5.25.06
    ...i know all the rules but the rules do not know me, guaranteed...
  • Options
    i've recently got into the band the drive by truckers, and i went to see them this past sunday at the orpheum in boston with my girlfriend, going into the show, i knew the band was liberal after reading their thoughts on the election on their website, but during the show there was no mention of the election, or any politics during their whole performance, which i was cringing for because i've seen pearl jam ruin a great night with political blabbering so many times before, i left the concert extremely happy that they kept to their great music and didnt preach to the audience.
    8.29.00-4.29.03-4.30.03-5.2.03-7.2.03-7.3.03-7.8.03-7.9.03-7.11.03-9.28.04-9.29.04-10.1.04- 10.2.04-10.3.04-5.12.06-5.24.06-5.25.06
  • Options
    You must understand that a Pearl Jam concert is 95% music, and 5% politics. So, even the most ardent Republican will enjoy 95% of the show. Also, VERY MUCH unlike you, we can respect their opinions and that 5% doesn't really bug me. BUT, because of politics we had to listen to No More repetitively over the last tour. It is a terrible song. Virginia Beach lucked out and got Guaranteed. Think of how much good music we could have gotten out of Ed and a solo guitar (think his solo tour). It is a shame that you need Ed to tell you how to think, because otherwise he wouldn't need to say anything.

And to be perfectly clear, Pearl Jam fans who are conservatives are proven to be open-minded, otherwise we would have closed our minds off to Pearl Jam long ago. It is pretty obvious from your comments in this thread that you could not be a Pearl Jam fan if they were conservative, and that shows how close-minded YOU are. That's right, YOU are close minded, and obviously don't want to be surrounded by any point of view that is different than yours.

edit: take care.
    cant say it much better than that..
  • Options
    If it were kept to minimum I wouldn't mind as much, but I agree with the original poster.
  • Options
    i still agree with a few liberal ideas, but it doesnt really matter, the point is i'd rather hear him make fun of celine dion than george bush
  • Options
    now when i spend 160 dollars on concert tickets i wont have to hear eddie spend half the show telling everyone about how evil bush is and hopefully they'll cut out all the anti war songs and maybe they're next record wont be smothered with shitty political songs..

Maybe you should be listening to the Jonas Brothers or something...

....cry baby...Looking at your other post about the trive by truckers..it appears that you are actively seeking out the politics of the band thus destroying your own sense of escapism...I practice " escapism " every time I go to see PJ. I escape from a world of complacent morons whom avoid real issues by listening to hoky " everything is going to be all right " type music...at least you get the truth when you go see the band play live....
    God Loves Pearl Jam
  • Options
    Carlos DCarlos D Posts: 638
    It seems like the guys are using it as an excuse now for not coming up with any fresh ideas,REM and Green Day are doing the same thing.The best things they've done this decade(Love Boat Captain,I Am Mine,Man of The Hour,Sleight OF hand,Inside Job) were song which captured the despair and anger of the time without being dumb and explicit about it,you can listen to those songs and take it as being about your own life rather than the world at large.Back in the day,their politics were a little more subtle like on Jeremy or Do The Evolution,nowadays they're writing songs like No More which truth be told have no staying power whatsoever.I couldn't give a toss what their politics are,if they want to talk about abortion or the war in Iraq or whatever fair enough,but when it gets to the stage that it's the only thing they sing about or talk about in interviews,it borders on self-parody.I hope the guys give us something unexpected with the next album.
    It may be the devil or it may be the Lord
    But you're gonna have to serve somebody.

www.bebo.com/pearljam06
  • Options
    Maybe you should be listening to the Jonas Brothers or something...

....cry baby...Looking at your other post about the trive by truckers..it appears that you are actively seeking out the politics of the band thus destroying your own sense of escapism...I practice " escapism " every time I go to see PJ. I escape from a world of complacent morons whom avoid real issues by listening to hoky " everything is going to be all right " type music...at least you get the truth when you go see the band play live....
    i hate country music if that's what your getting at, and stop smearing me because i have a different opinion than you, respect it and give me an opposing view if you want, but keep it intelligent..
  • Options
    Carlos D wrote:
    It seems like the guys are using it as an excuse now for not coming up with any fresh ideas,REM and Green Day are doing the same thing.The best things they've done this decade(Love Boat Captain,I Am Mine,Man of The Hour,Sleight OF hand,Inside Job) were song which captured the despair and anger of the time without being dumb and explicit about it,you can listen to those songs and take it as being about your own life rather than the world at large.Back in the day,their politics were a little more subtle like on Jeremy or Do The Evolution,nowadays they're writing songs like No More which truth be told have no staying power whatsoever.I couldn't give a toss what their politics are,if they want to talk about abortion or the war in Iraq or whatever fair enough,but when it gets to the stage that it's the only thing they sing about or talk about in interviews,it borders on self-parody.I hope the guys give us something unexpected with the next album.
    I LOVED seeing No More played in Montreal, you can tell Ed cares a lot about the song. ANything with that much emotion has to hit ya!
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • Options
    i've recently got into the band the drive by truckers, and i went to see them this past sunday at the orpheum in boston with my girlfriend, going into the show, i knew the band was liberal after reading their thoughts on the election on their website, but during the show there was no mention of the election, or any politics during their whole performance, which i was cringing for because i've seen pearl jam ruin a great night with political blabbering so many times before, i left the concert extremely happy that they kept to their great music and didnt preach to the audience.

Ed may not be as informed as i like..because if he was he wouldn't support either party (because there is only really one party with the illusion of division) but his heart is in the right place and he can say what ever the fuck he pleases...not only because he has earned that right but because THAT IS THE AMERICAN WAY.

being silent out of fear, whether that is the fear of losing fans or the fear of Government retaliation,is NOT HOW WE AS AMERICANS ARE SUPPOSED TO BEHAVE!! And for you to call it political blabbering tells me you are one of the many un/misinformed masses who just aren't aware of how bad things are and that we need to speak up before our 1st amendment is taken away from us!!
    whether Ed will go back to sleep now that Obama is going to be President (like many others will) remains to be seen.Once Obama starts to travle down the path his masters have laid for him and he picks up where Bush left off there will be plenty of discontent people in this country once again ...and i HOPE Ed is one of them...regardless of what others say/think..his "voice" is very important!

....cry baby...Looking at your other post about the drive by truckers..it appears that you are actively seeking out the politics of the band thus destroying your own sense of escapism...I practice " escapism " every time I go to see PJ. I escape from a world of complacent morons whom avoid real issues by listening to hokey " everything is going to be all right " type music...at least you get the truth when you go see the band play live....

NICE!!!!! :):)
  • Options
    No More War isn't a song to be "enjoyed," dumb-arses. You're missing the point. It's a message, a protest, a cry for change...

It's not a song to consume for entertainment like Even Flow or In My Tree. It's an artist shedding light on a subject that's very dark, sad, and meaningful.

I can only assume you knuckleheads dissing the song need every PJ track to sound vaguely like it was recorded for Ten, so you can crank it in your Camaro.

Go watch "Body of War" and shut the hell up about whether or not it's a good song to dance, eat, poop, drive, or f*** to.

And the U.K. guys on here talking U.S. politics should stop talking about it until they move here because they sound naive and ignorant as shite.
    Are you a screenwriter?
    www.screenplaymechanic.com
  • Options
    EvilRabbit wrote:
    No More War isn't a song to be "enjoyed," dumb-arses. You're missing the point. It's a message, a protest, a cry for change...

It's not a song to consume for entertainment like Even Flow or In My Tree. It's an artist shedding light on a subject that's very dark, sad, and meaningful.

I can only assume you knuckleheads dissing the song need every PJ track to sound vaguely like it was recorded for Ten, so you can crank it in your Camaro.

Go watch "Body of War" and shut the hell up about whether or not it's a good song to dance, eat, poop, drive, or f*** to.

And the U.K. guys on here talking U.S. politics should stop talking about it until they move here because they sound naive and ignorant as shite.

:D:D dude/dud-ette?.......i like you! :):)