Options

Corporations rule the day...

I_Got_ShitI_Got_Shit Posts: 325
edited June 2008 in The Porch
I just want to acknowledge that 1992 Ed would probably punch 2008 Ed in the throat for allowing this Verizon deal to happen.

Of course I'm happy and grateful to get the boots, but that's a source of revenue for the band as well as a service to the fans. I don't know who pushed this Verizon bullshit on them, or if it was a condition for putting out all the boots. I don't know, maybe I'm overreacting and this is just another example of the band being willing to "play the game" in the last couple years. I guess I just miss the days when there was at least one band that resented being used to make money for corporate blowhards who probably think John McCain is too liberal. Can we leave this Verizon shit to fucking Fall Out Boy or whatever awful shit teenagers are using to impress girls these days?

Oh, and one more thing: Verizon's reception blows. I have one bar like all the time.
*Does not include encore of Garden and Leash.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    ledveddermanledvedderman Posts: 7,755
    I_Got_Shit wrote:
    I just want to acknowledge that 1992 Ed would probably punch 2008 Ed in the throat for allowing this Verizon deal to happen.

Of course I'm happy and grateful to get the boots, but that's a source of revenue for the band as well as a service to the fans. I don't know who pushed this Verizon bullshit on them, or if it was a condition for putting out all the boots. I don't know, maybe I'm overreacting and this is just another example of the band being willing to "play the game" in the last couple years. I guess I just miss the days when there was at least one band that resented being used to make money for corporate blowhards who probably think John McCain is too liberal. Can we leave this Verizon shit to fucking Fall Out Boy or whatever awful shit teenagers are using to impress girls these days?

Oh, and one more thing: Verizon's reception blows. I have one bar like all the time.

Feel better? Because guess what? They're still going to do the Verizon thing. I guess I prefer my favorite band to be innovative and thinking towards the future to get their music to their fans...give it up
  • Options
    timrothtimroth Posts: 215
    I_Got_Shit wrote:

quote]

I agree.
  • Options
    sarah vesarah ve Posts: 43
    I_Got_Shit wrote:
    Can we leave this Verizon shit to fucking Fall Out Boy or whatever awful shit teenagers are using to impress girls these days?

That is rich
    See you at the beach!! 6/17

~Those who believe absurdities will commit atrocities~
    -Voltaire
  • Options
    drsluggodrsluggo Posts: 4,742
    Feel better? Because guess what? They're still going to do the Verizon thing. I guess I prefer my favorite band to be innovative and thinking towards the future to get their music to their fans...give it up
    To be fair they are going to get more music to their fans without Verizon, so that's not a really fair answer...

That being said its up to them in the end, and hopefully by them doing that it saves the fans some money down the road since Verizon's sponsorship might help them diffuse some costs of merchandise or future bootleg downloads.

one can hope anyway
  • Options
    Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DC Posts: 7,253
    I'm excited that they are embracing other avenues to get the music out, and looking at it with a

Well, we have fans from all different ages, which includes those fans that don't attend the concerts, who access music all different ways. How can we give all the fans access to the live shows in a quality format? attitude.

I don't think 1992 Eddie would punch 2008 Eddie for trying new technology . . . of course there is that typewriter always in the background . . . maybe punch is a strong word.

Of course if enough people feel the same as the OP then there would be a financial loss, and no more Verizon deals, eh? It would be interesting to see which of the 3 avenues of obtaining the shows is the most used.
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • Options
    Yellow LedbellyYellow Ledbelly Posts: 3,749
    My input into this discussion is only to ask WHO GIVES A SHIT?

Really, all this anti-corporation stuff has grown a bit tired
    All I have to do is revel in the everyday....then do it again tomorrow

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
  • Options
    Newsflash to the new fans of the band. Pearl Jam are not the same band as they were 15 years ago. That's a very good thing, or we probably wouldn't have a band to get excitied for a new tour for.

As long as the band is churning out great music, doing more than their fair share for charity, and not driving around in fucking Hummers with spinners...I say we just lay off whatever decision they make.
  • Options
    Personally, I think 2024 I_Got_Shit might punch 2008 I_Got_Shit in the throat for assuming this.
  • Options
    Ms. Haiku wrote:
    I'm excited that they are embracing other avenues to get the music out, and looking at it with a

Well, we have fans from all different ages, who access music all different ways. How can we give all the fans access to the live shows in a quality format, which includes those fans that don't attend the concerts? attitude.

I don't think 1992 Eddie would punch 2008 Eddie for trying new technology . . . of course there is that typewriter always in the background . . . maybe punch is a strong word.

OK, maybe not punch. But he would at least call him an asshole. And I understand what you're saying about delivering shows in various formats...but can we at least agree that watching Pearl Jam on a two-inch cell phone screen is probably not the best way to experience the music?
  • Options
    Personally, I think 2024 I_Got_Shit might punch 2008 I_Got_Shit in the throat for assuming this.

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
  • Options
    drsluggodrsluggo Posts: 4,742
    I_Got_Shit wrote:
    OK, maybe not punch. But he would at least call him an asshole. And I understand what you're saying about delivering shows in various formats...but can we at least agree that watching Pearl Jam on a two-inch cell phone screen is probably not the best way to experience the music?
    Sure, but that would be a compltely different topic than this thread ;)
  • Options
    I_Got_Shit wrote:
    ...but can we at least agree that watching Pearl Jam on a two-inch cell phone screen is probably not the best way to experience the music?
    "But some people are into that, who am I to say?"

• Options
    I_Got_Shit wrote:

It probably isn't the best way, that's true...but that is how a lot of people get their music now.

People got pissed when the band started offering digital downloads, and now it's the quickest way to do it.
  • Options
    firecrotch23firecrotch23 Posts: 586
    I_Got_Shit wrote:

I agree with this whole sentiment, seems kind of whoreish to me, oh well, they still k
    Small my table, seats just 3, its not crowded, its just lucky me
  • Options
    I_Got_Shit wrote:

Got a big problem with what you say here...................................................................................................I never have a problem with my Verizon phone signal. :-)

I went to a movie last weekend and Verizon had a commerical with Timbaland and Fucking Chris Cornell!!!! I almost crapped myself. After seeing this stuff today I could just see Ed hawking Verizon phones in the near future.

Granted I don't have a big issue with it, but I_Got_Shit has a point here...92 Ed would punch 08 Ed in the throat (Funny stuff). You can get all high and mighty and take it as a knock against the band, but it is the f'ing truth. Deal with it.
  • Options
    PJ_LukinPJ_Lukin Posts: 2,049
    I am still trying to figure out how the hell they make any money at all with so few dates. It is like building a business and only opening it 2 or 3 hours a day, at night.

Lots of work to get these shows up and running. Lots of people, trucks, hotels, transportation etc...

If they have to sell a few songs over one of the most popular way of obtaining music, so be it. I won't get it that way but if it allows everyone to get to hear them. Good, I am for whatever allows them to come out and play.
    ~!~ Peace ~!~ Love ~!~ Pearl Jam ~!~
  • Options
    PissBottleManPissBottleMan Union City, TN Posts: 4,154
    I am ahead.

I am advanced.

I crawled the earth, but now I'm higher.

2010, watch it go to fire.

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

Wishlist Foundation: http://wishlistfoundation.org
  • Options
    fanch75fanch75 Posts: 3,736
    It is not surprising that people are justifying Pearl Jam's alliance with a corporation (which are entities that white people typically despise). See, white people love to hate corporations, unless it involves something that they like. It is White Person Law. Read on.

http://stuffwhitepeoplelike.com/2008/03/05/82-hating-corporations/
    Stuff White People Like
    #82 Hating Corporations
    March 5, 2008 by clander

One of the more popular white person activities of the past fifteen years is attempting to educate others on the evils of multi-national corporations. White people love nothing more than explaining to you how Wal*Mart, McDonalds, Microsoft, Halliburton are destroying the Earth’s culture and resources.

While the growth of multi-national corporations can be attributed to a number of complex social, economic and political factors, many white people prefer to take the word of two trusted sources: No Logo and AdBusters.

Published in 2000, No Logo has been responsible for more white person “enlightenment” than any book since the burning of the library at Alexandria. By reading this one magic book, white people are able to get a full grasp on the evils of multi-national corporations and then regurgitate it to friends and family.

Advanced white people will supplement No Logo with a subscription to AdBusters, where they will learn how to subvert corporate culture and return it to the masses. Specifically, this means taking ads and redoing them to give a negative message about a product. Apparently the belief is that when other people see this ad, they will be hit with an epiphany that their entire existence has been a Matrix-style manufactured universe.

If you plan to engage in lengthy conversations or get high with white people it is recommended that you read No Logo or one issue of AdBusters. Failing that, it is acceptable to buy a copy to leave on your coffee table. When white people see it, they will recognize you as someone who can see through the advertising and has a proper perspective on life.

When engaging in a conversation about corporate evils it is important to NEVER, EVER mention Apple Computers, Target or Ikea in the same breath as the companies mentioned earlier. White people prefer to hate corporations that don’t make stuff that they like.

Following these simple steps can help you gain the trust and respect of white people in a relatively short period of time.
    Do you remember Rock & Roll Radio?
  • Options
    ^^ That's classic! Gold, Jerry, Gold!

• Options
    sadprofessorsadprofessor Posts: 1,033
    God forbid they try to use technology to reach more people.
    The Man has a branch office in each of our brains, his corporate emblem is a white albatross, each local rep has a cover known as the Ego, and their mission in this world is Bad Shit.
  • Options
    I went to a movie last weekend and Verizon had a commerical with Timbaland and Fucking Chris Cornell!!!! I almost crapped myself. After seeing this stuff today I could just see Ed hawking Verizon phones in the near future.

Selling songs through V Cast is hardly pimping cell phones.

Should PJ pull their catalogue off iTunes as well. Can't believe they are supporting those bastards over at Apple.

By the way, come a little closer so I can wisper, and don't tell anyone you heard it from me....Pearl Jam....Ten Club....both corporations! Mum's the word friends.
  • Options
    fanch75fanch75 Posts: 3,736
    Should PJ pull their catalogue off iTunes as well. Can't believe they are supporting those bastards over at Apple.

By the way, come a little closer so I can wisper, and don't tell anyone you heard it from me....Pearl Jam....Ten Club....both corporations! Mum's the word friends.

See post #19:

When engaging in a conversation about corporate evils it is important to NEVER, EVER mention Apple Computers, Target or Ikea in the same breath as the companies mentioned earlier. White people prefer to hate corporations that don’t make stuff that they like.
    Do you remember Rock & Roll Radio?
  • Options
    Selling songs through V Cast is hardly pimping cell phones.

Uh yeah, it is when they are showing you how to download the music using your new Voyager or Envy!!!

Anyhoo, go somewhere else pal, never said I had a problem with it, just agreeing with the irony so save the cute clever quips for someone who dose.
  • Options
    My input into this discussion is only to ask WHO GIVES A SHIT?

Really, all this anti-corporation stuff has grown a bit tired

not everyone shares your apathetic view.

anti-corporation = pro-citizen & that never gets "tired"
  • Options
    nfanelnfanel Posts: 2,558
    so you want pearl jam to start their own cell phone company so that they don't need any outside interference in distributing the music to phones? :confused:

as a vz employee, i may be biased, but i'm pretty psyched about it. not seeing where the "bad" is in this.
  • Options
    Kel VarnsenKel Varnsen Posts: 1,951
    nfanel wrote:
    so you want pearl jam to start their own cell phone company so that they don't need any outside interference in distributing the music to phones? :confused:

That is sort of what I was thinking. If you want to distribute music over cell phones in the US isn't it either Verizon or a few other gigantic companies? If they want to give this option to their fans I don't see alot of options.
  • Options
    chromiamchromiam Posts: 4,114
    I_Got_Shit wrote:

No one will be watching Pearl Jam on a 2 inch cell phone screen, because they are audio downloads not video ones. So people can listen to the band's performance from the night before.
    This is your notice that there is a problem with your signature. Please remove it.

Admin

Social awareness does not equal political activism!

5/23/2011- An utter embarrassment... ticketing failures too many to list.
  • Options
    nfanelnfanel Posts: 2,558
    That is sort of what I was thinking. If you want to distribute music over cell phones in the US isn't it either Verizon or a few other gigantic companies? If they want to give this option to their fans I don't see alot of options.
    i think it's a great way to get the music out there... just another avenue... not like they are selling out. i think it's great and i'd love to have pearl jam on my phone, but of course around here people have to always look for the negatives...

“Pearl Jam continues to explore new and innovative ways to get their music to their fans,” said Ten Club President Tim Bierman. “As we have learned from our younger fans, more and more listeners are accessing their music through their mobile handsets. Since Verizon Wireless and V CAST are at the forefront of that technology, this collaboration makes perfect sense to us. With our proven track record of delivering high-quality bootleg downloads and CDs, we feel this new approach will not only benefit our fans, but provide an exciting opportunity to share Pearl Jam’s music in a more interactive setting.”
  • Options
    Kel VarnsenKel Varnsen Posts: 1,951
    nfanel wrote:
    i think it's a great way to get the music out there... just another avenue... not like they are selling out. i think it's great and i'd love to have pearl jam on my phone, but of course around here people have to always look for the negatives...

Exactly and how is signing up to do this with one of the major cell phone carriers to distribute your music in 2008 any different from signing to one of the major record labels (Sony Epic) in 1990 to distribute their music?
  • Options
    nfanel wrote:

as a vz employee, i may be biased, but i'm pretty psyched about it. not seeing where the "bad" is in this.

Seems like they were doing just fine distributing the CDs, flacs and mp3s without getting Verizon involved. I don't remember anybody saying, "The bootlegs are really great and everything, but if I could only download three songs to my cellphone..."

I think I figured out the reason most fans are OK with this, besides just being happy we're getting boots again, and wanting to defend their favorite band...

Longtime fans might have supported the band's fight with corporations like Ticketmaster, but now they're getting older and probably work for a corporation (probably so they can afford to go to 10 shows every tour), so they've given up. And younger fans are just used to capitulating to corporations, because they've never seen a band do otherwise. I guess I'm stuck in the middle -- I was really young when I got into Pearl Jam, and their positions really took hold of me. But I'm still young enough that I haven't completely thrown away my convictions because I need to buy a new car or a bigger house. Maybe they had to give in to Ticketmaster, didn't have much of a choice after those disastrous do-it-yourself tours. Maybe it's only a matter of time before any band gives up on fighting back. Not even Pete Townsend died before he got old.