Options

can someone explain this "no pj shirts" at the shows theory

Comments

• Options
    NY PJ1NY PJ1 Posts: 9,533
    Big Ed wrote:
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Big Ed
    Of course the band members dont wear pj shirts on stage.....thats dumb......

Quote: Matt does.

Well good....I'm glad I'm wrong. Wear whatever you want, and you shouldnt have to worry about what other people think.

big ed,,you're missing the point

we all wear what we want

ive just seen numerous people on this board say that its stupid so i was wondering what their reasoning was
  • Options
    Big EdBig Ed Posts: 331
    I'm just old & cranky.....and I bought one of those shirts with the little hungy birdy on the front specifically to wear Monday.
    Ignoring Rusted Signs
  • Options
    JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Florida Posts: 10,217
    i heard it's a double negative and you might spontaneously combust if Stone looks at you while playing an F#.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • Options
    sarah vesarah ve Posts: 43
    I have never understood this either, I thought I was so cool back in the day wearing my band shirt to the show of the band I was wearing, and everyone would look at me like I had just murdered someone...then it became this unspoken law, something that you just don't do... Until now I never came across anyone who thought it was a little bizarre too. I would really love to know where this began, and who started the rumor lol
    See you at the beach!! 6/17

~Those who believe absurdities will commit atrocities~
    -Voltaire
  • Options
    NY PJ1 wrote:
    WHAT THE HELL DOES THAT HAVE TO DO WITH ANYTHING ?? lol

and yes i have seen them wear pj shirts on occasion

It has everything to do with it.

Matt was probably a fan long before he was in the band. But if he does wear PJ shirts to the shows, then he's a loser, too. :)

Just kidding, who cares? I don't do it personally, but that's my preference. It's all about the music, not the fashion.
    "If you love someone... set them free. If someone loves you, don't fuck it up." - Ed
  • Options
    londonwprlondonwpr Posts: 293
    A good friend of mine who I haven't toured with in a while now. When we pulled into Kitchener in 2005 he spotted PJ fans all wearing the same shirt. It was the red PJ tour shirt they were selling. His reply was, ''check out the super fans''. I busted out laughing cause it was a group of 4 or 5 and they were all wearing that same shirt. lol

But who cares IMO wear whatever shirt you want to a show. :)

Oh man, that was so funny. I love how all of them had the same shirt on. I hope 2009 gets us back on the road touring together again. It's been WAY too long...
    7/8/95, 6/26/98, 6/27/98, 8/17/98, 8/18/00, 8/20/00, 8/21/00, 10/8/00, 10/21/00, 6/16/03, 6/18/03, 6/21/03, 6/22/03, 6/24/03, 10/3/04, 9/11/05, 9/12/05, 9/13/05, 9/15/05, 9/16/05, 5/16/06, 5/17/06, 5/20/06, 6/24/06, 6/30/06
  • Options
    surforiasurforia SoCal Posts: 346
    if you're gonna wear a pj shirt, wear an old tour shirt from no code or vitalogy... the mookie blaylock jersey or an obscure ten club shirt is cool too... if you just wear a plain old pj shirt you got at the merch stand or sometime recent, you're a nerd. wait, your shirt says you like pearl jam? no shit, you're at the show, aren't you?!
    9/28/96, 8/28/98, 8/29/98, 8/18/00, 10/8/00, 10/9/00, 4/28/03, 6/22/03, 7/8/03, 7/9/03, 10/2/04, 10/5/04, 10/1/05, 10/3/05, 5/28/06, 6/20/08, 6/25/08, 10/27/09, 10/30/09, 10/31/09, 5/18/10, 5/20/10, 5/21/10, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 4/28/16, 4/29/16, 8/22/16, 9/26/21, 10/1/21, 10/2/21, 5/3/22, 5/6/22
  • Options
    shareshare Posts: 551
    No amount of fashion camouflage will hide the fact you are a loser.
    we're all sentient snowflakes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    I'm a number that doesn't count
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    the nothing ventured - the nothing feigned
  • Options
    share wrote:
    No amount of fashion camouflage will hide the fact you are a loser.

wowo good one my friend

ill be at the 3 ny shows ,, come remind me ;)
  • Options
    ramblinponyramblinpony Posts: 115
    voodoopug wrote:
    Same goes for baseball games, we always wear our white sox gear when we roll to the game. I took both my kids to the Sox game last weekend (right behind third base, excellent seats, but not sure the kids, age 2 and 3, completely appreciated the $100 seats) and we all had our jerseys on (they may or may not have been matching).

What city do the White Sox play in? My friend tried to tell me it is Chicago, but they only have one baseball team!

CUBS WIN! CUBS WIN!
  • Options
    The wonderful lady that I went with who came from Canada to see PJ: NOT wearing a PJ shirt.

Actually, i WAS wearing a PJ shirt.....a homemade one, but a PJ shirt nonetheless.

I don't see anything wrong with it. Wear what you wanna wear. Assholes are assholes no matter what they wear.
  • Options
    Big EdBig Ed Posts: 331
    I dont wanna be an asshole.
    Ignoring Rusted Signs
  • Options
    shareshare Posts: 551
    NY PJ1 wrote:
    wowo good one my friend

ill be at the 3 ny shows ,, come remind me ;)

what is that? A threat??

I am a little curious as to why you even thought my comment was directed
    at you specifically?
    I didn't quote you, I didn't name anybody, I was being generic.

Do you think you are a loser?
    we're all sentient snowflakes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    I'm a number that doesn't count
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    the nothing ventured - the nothing feigned
  • Options
    Cosmo wrote:
    You know what, Bud? Wear what you want.. express yourself and fuck what the fashion police think. You think any of those pansie tools have the balls to come up to your face and tell you 'the rules'? Fuck 'em.

That's what I say. I mean why not where your PJ shirts? We are all coming together to watch our favorite band perform and that band is Pearl Jam. It's not crazy to think this would be a great time to pull out your favorite PJ tee and support your band. I wore one to my first show and it was because I wanted to not because what anyone else including the band might think about it. It was all about my love for Pearl Jam. And is there ever a time when we all have more love to express for this band than at a show??!
    If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.
    -Oscar Wilde
  • Options
    newfiegirlnewfiegirl Posts: 40
    Exactly, but here's another thing to consider, do you see Ed, Jeff, Stone, Mike or Matt wearing Pearl Jam shirts at concerts?

a couple of the guys were wearing the new avocado thermal-wear shirt at the show in hartford in 06. though i think they may have found it a little chilly.
    2003 - Vancouver May 30th
    2005 - Montreal Sept 15th; Ottawa Sept 16th; St. John's, NL Sept 24th; St. John's, NL Sept 25th
    2006 - Albany, NY May 12th; Hartford, CT May 13th
    2008 - Montreal Aug 9th and Montreal Aug 10th (EV Solo)
  • Options
    LONGRDLONGRD Posts: 6,036
    cutback wrote:
    isn't a concert the place to wear a band t shirt? :)

however, i do think the scene in pcu is funny :)
    Anybody who lives their life based on movies are IDIOTS!

BTW, Megan Ward was hot in that movie.....and Pivens delivered!

EDIT- Megan Ward is still HOT....more like MILF hot though nowadays. :)
    PJ- 04/29/2003.06/24,25,27,28,30/2008.10/27,28,30,31/2009
    EV- 08/09,10/2008.06/08,09/2009
  • Options
    stevieraveonstevieraveon Posts: 413
    What city do the White Sox play in? My friend tried to tell me it is Chicago, but they only have one baseball team!

CUBS WIN! CUBS WIN!

Um, 2005?
    Bob Loblaw's Law Blog: "Why should YOU go to jail for a crime someone else noticed?"
  • Options
    Indian SummerIndian Summer Posts: 2,296
    I always just thought it was a goofy movie quote from P.C.U. "don't be that guy".....anyone who takes it serious is a goon. Wear what you want. Honestly ever PJ show I've been too, I've seen hundreds if not thousands of older PJ shirts....I think its kinda cool.
    "It's all happening"
  • Options
    restlesssoulrestlesssoul Posts: 6,941
    i will be wearing a pj shirt to every show i do believe.
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18
  • Options
    Indian SummerIndian Summer Posts: 2,296
    i will be wearing a pj shirt to every show i do believe.

you and 5,000 other fans. I don't understand why people get so worked up over this.

When you go to a sporting event, you wear the shirt of the team your supporting don't you? Same principal.
    "It's all happening"
  • Options
    LONGRDLONGRD Posts: 6,036
    Pay no mind to the pest! :cool:
    PJ- 04/29/2003.06/24,25,27,28,30/2008.10/27,28,30,31/2009
    EV- 08/09,10/2008.06/08,09/2009
  • Options
    mattcozeamattcozea Posts: 377
    Um, 2005?
    Easy way to deal with Cubs fans, just give them the finger... the ring finger. :cool:
    6-27-98 Alpine Valley
    10-8-00 Alpine Valley
    10-9-00 All State Arena, Chicago
    4-23-03 Assembly Hall, Champaign
    5-16-06 United Center, Chicago
    6-30-06 Marcus Amphitheater, Milwaukee
    8-05-07 Grant Park, Chicago
    8-21-08 EV, Auditorium Theater, Chicago
    8-22-08 EV, Auditorium Theater, Chicago
  • Options
    when i go to penguins games i always wear my flyers sweaters
  • Options
    LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718

CUBS WIN! CUBS WIN!
    Obviously you're not a fan of baseball..

I went to my first Cubs game ever Wednesday.. and it was the most overrated thing ever. Most the people didn't even pay attention to the game. They cheered when they saw blue pin stripes on bases. Thats about the extent of it... for every die-hard true Cubs fan, there are 2 bandwagon people there for the big frat party. I'll give the die-hards credit, but if you want to see a more serious although sometimes smaller crowd, go to a Sox game.
  • Options
    share wrote:
    what is that? A threat??

I am a little curious as to why you even thought my comment was directed
    at you specifically?
    I didn't quote you, I didn't name anybody, I was being generic.

Do you think you are a loser?

not a threat at all

i just said if u see me remind me im a loser for wearing a pj shirt

i started the thread so i assume you're talking to me
  • Options
    I'm wearing my "Vintage" shirt from the No CodeTour. It's worn out and the lettering is faded but its comfortable and brings back great memories (getting soaked at Randall's Island, etc.)
    I know its "Uncool" for a rock band to wear their own merchandise ( this theory doesn't apply to self promoting Hip Hop acts though). But I'm not in the Band !!! I'm supporting the Band !!!
  • Options
    LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    surforia wrote:
    if you just wear a plain old pj shirt you got at the merch stand or sometime recent, you're a nerd.
    You know what's nerdier than buying a concert shirt at a concert and wearing it... Arguing about it on the internet.

You're a bigger nerd than you know.. Embrace it!
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,731
    This thread topic makes no sense to me. Who ever said you shouldn't wear a band's shirt to their concert?
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    This thread topic makes no sense to me. Who ever said you shouldn't wear a band's shirt to their concert?

ive read numerous numerous people on here say it ,so i was curious as to why
  • Options
    CitizenRickCitizenRick Posts: 1,079
    I always my Vitalogy tour shirts.

A. because it's from my favorite time of my life.

B. because it's my favorite album.

C. I don't give a fuck!
    "Had my eyes peeled both wide open, and I got a glimpse...of my innocense, got back my inner sence, baby got it...still got it"