Options

can someone explain this "no pj shirts" at the shows theory

Comments

• Options
    patrickredeyespatrickredeyes Posts: 8,834
    corduroid wrote:
    +1

Not to steal the thread or anything but, yeah. Maybe it's the Dead in me that just found their whole scene ... contrived? I could be wrong but strangely I have no interest in finding out.

Anyhow, back to the clothing :D

Yea Phish got lucky and alot richer after Jerry passed. IMO phish were just a rip off of the dead.

Yes back to clothing now. :)
  • Options
    AtlantaJammerAtlantaJammer Posts: 2,611
    Does anyone hear feel that the band would appreciate it more or less if EVERYONE was wearing a PJ shirt as opposed to just some? I think the band personally likes to see themselves on T-shirts. Hell I'd love to see a shit ton of people wearing a shirt with my band on it...
  • Options
    Blind3Blind3 Posts: 1,149
    I have never understood the no PJ shirt at PJ show a.k.a "That Guy" or "That Girl" rule. I'll be wearing PJ shirts for at least half the 13 shows , plus L.A. , that I'm attending. Only too happy to show support for my favorite band.
    "Buy the ticket,take the ride"
    Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

"If I wanted you to understand, I would have explained it better"
    Johan Cruijff
  • Options
    pjhawkpjhawk Posts: 20
    This is the dumbest god-damn thread I think I've ever read. The clear consensus is wear whatever you want. Everyone got the line from PCU, nobody knows what it means. If you where a shirt from the tour they are on, or album they are supporting you look like a noob, that much is obvious.
  • Options
    lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 12,597
    when are people gonna grow up, why should 'nt people wear what they want.
    how old are these idiots saying dont wear pj shirts to the shows.
    express yourself any way you like and have fun thats all there is to it
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    NY PJ1NY PJ1 Posts: 9,533
    where are all the people who disagree with wearing them

i know u cats are out there ,,speak up girls
  • Options
    NOCODE#1NOCODE#1 Posts: 1,477
    NY PJ1 wrote:
    i think its the stupidest thing i've heard

i know its been discussed ,,but what gives?

i always wear a pj shirt to a show

whats the problem ?

i need people who disagree with wearing them to explain why
    if you need it explained to you....nevermind does anyone have crayons?
    Let's not be negative now. Thumper has spoken
  • Options
    NOCODE#1 wrote:

thats real funny dude try again
  • Options
    NOCODE#1 wrote:

this board went wacky
  • Options
    NOCODE#1 wrote:

br
  • Options
    bryionakbryionak Posts: 27
    "and I used to wear PJ shirts to phish shows all the time"
    I usually wear Phish shirts to PJ shows

"Also, I always make fun of those behind their backs who wear Phish shirts to any concert. I point and laugh :-P"
    Don't laugh at me, you'll hurt my feelings. I am super sensitive and really, really care what other people think of me.

"What was the big deal with Phish? I never could get into their music"
    Kind of like Zappa for the less intellectual. Well that was my first thought after my first Phish show. The sense of the band and crowd interaction was very similar to the Dead, and similar to a PJ show for that matter.

"Yea Phish got lucky and alot richer after Jerry passed. IMO phish were just a rip off of the dead"
    Agree with the first part, not so much the second part. Phish was/(is?) a rip off of Zappa, Led Zeppelin, Steely Dan, Dead, Bluegrass standards, and with a quite a bit of originality thrown in. Look at their extensive list of covers to see their main influences. Phish really only had one song that was a blantant rip off of the Dead and they shelved it early in their career. And they covered Terrapin Station on the third anniversary of Jerry's death. That was a truely magical moment though.
    1994-4-08 Fairfax, VA GMU Patriot Center
    1996-9-24 Columbia Maryland Merriweather Post Pavilion
    1998-9-18 Columbia Maryland Merriweather Post Pavilion
    2006-5-30 Washington, DC Verizon Center
    2008-6-22 Washington, DC Verizon Center
    2010-5-13 Bristow, VA Jiffy Lube Live
    2013-10-29 Charlottesville, VA John Paul Jones Arena
    2022-9-14 Camden, NJ 
  • Options
    DeLukinDeLukin Posts: 2,754
    Dissenting view here:

I remember back in the Metal days (when I was in high school) you'd go to a show and buy a shirt with all the tour dates on it, and it was viewed amongst your peers as a symbol of your faniness. The older the tour shirts you had the bigger the fan you were. I even remember people calling new fans to a band posers for wearing recent tour shirts. I also remember being called a poser for wearing an Iron Maiden tour shirt even though I could play 90% of Steve Harris's bass lines. Crazy, right?

Anyway, when the whole "grunge" thing happened, a lot of the pretentiousness of Metal was, thankfully, buried (along with big hair and spandex) and so was the need for me to prove myself a fan of any band. I remember thinking, these guys are wearing what they rolled out of bed in to their shows so why shouldn't I? So I stopped buying/wearing band t's. I still wore the few I did own, just not to shows. I realize I probably have issues, but hey it's my thing. And I don't judge those who wear what they want to shows. Anyway, that's why I don't.
    I smile, but who am I kidding...
  • Options
    DeLukin wrote:
    Dissenting view here:

I remember back in the Metal days (when I was in high school) you'd go to a show and buy a shirt with all the tour dates on it, and it was viewed amongst your peers as a symbol of your faniness. The older the tour shirts you had the bigger the fan you were. I even remember people calling new fans to a band posers for wearing recent tour shirts. I also remember being called a poser for wearing an Iron Maiden tour shirt even though I could play 90% of Steve Harris's bass lines. Crazy, right?

Anyway, when the whole "grunge" thing happened, a lot of the pretentiousness of Metal was, thankfully, buried (along with big hair and spandex) and so was the need for me to prove myself a fan of any band. I remember thinking, these guys are wearing what they rolled out of bed in to their shows so why shouldn't I? So I stopped buying/wearing band t's. I still wore the few I did own, just not to shows. I realize I probably have issues, but hey it's my thing. And I don't judge those who wear what they want to shows. Anyway, that's why I don't.

WOW THATS A WHOLE DIFFERENT TAKE ON THE SITUATION LOL

but thats what im looking for
  • Options
    drsluggodrsluggo Posts: 4,742
    What if you sleep with a PJ shirt on or wrapped around your torso?
  • Options
    SueSue Posts: 36

5. Never buy bootleg band shirts that people are selling off the streets. Its super uncool

actually, that's true--I was outside after The Mars Volta's Roseland show about 3 years ago and a guy was selling bootleg shirts, and Jon Theodore, their drummer came out and gave the guy a ration of shit about how he was taking money from the band by doing that, and telling all the kids standing around not to buy bootleg shirts. I guess that was before the money started rolling in? well, don't they say most bands make their money from merch? ha ha
  • Options
    Sue wrote:
    actually, that's true--I was outside after The Mars Volta's Roseland show about 3 years ago and a guy was selling bootleg shirts, and Jon Theodore, their drummer came out and gave the guy a ration of shit about how he was taking money from the band by doing that, and telling all the kids standing around not to buy bootleg shirts. I guess that was before the money started rolling in? well, don't they say most bands make their money from merch? ha ha

with pearl jam we have no choice

the shirts are made for kids 15 and under

XL MY ARSE
  • Options
    4Powers20 wrote:
    I think it maybe something like.....I already know you like PJ ..you are at a PJ show. But if I see someone wearing a phish shirt, it shows me something I dont already know. You hear me?

You definetly dont wear a shirt from that album or same tour to the show. You DONT want to be that guy. But older tour shirts are cool, just not how I roll.

Plus it gives you something to talk about while you are waiting for the band: "You like Phish? I don't but after talking to you I may decide to expand my horizons."

In my experience, the people who WERE NOT wearing a PJ shirt were the cooler ones:

The guy that tried to push his way through the crowd at Lolla to hold up a sign for Ed to suggest a lyric change for Given To Fly: wearing a PJ t-shirt.

The ELITIST lady who took up a bunch of space at the rail with a fucking lawn chair so she could sit down for everyone else but PJ: wearing a PJ t-shirt.

The guy who went to get water for a bunch of people around him (ME): NOT wearing a PJ shirt.

The tall guy in front of me that let me in front of him so I could see: NOT wearing a PJ shirt.

The wonderful lady that I went with who came from Canada to see PJ: NOT wearing a PJ shirt.

Don't do it or at least wear an older tour shirt. It just makes you look like a nerd and apparently it makes you a son of a fuck bastard to other people.
    Chicago 8-23-09

• Options
    LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 29,025
    NY PJ1 wrote:
    i think its the stupidest thing i've heard

i know its been discussed ,,but what gives?

i always wear a pj shirt to a show

whats the problem ?

i need people who disagree with wearing them to explain why
    it is stupid- wear what you want. I always try and wear an older PJ shirt to the shows, if possible.

And by the way, love your location!!! :)
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • Options
    NCFUSERNCFUSER Posts: 29
    Don't Be That Guy
    9/29/1996, 8/28/1998, 8/29/1998, 9/8/1998, 8/25/2000, 9/1/2000, 9/2/2000, 4/28/2003, 5/03/2003, 7/5/2003, 7/6/2003, 10/01/2004, 9/19/2005, 10/1/2005, 10/3/2005, 5/27/2006, 5/28/2006, 5/30/2006, 6/26/2006, 4/15/2008. 6/19/2008, 6/20/2008, 6/22/2008, 8/16/2008
  • Options
    Plus it gives you something to talk about while you are waiting for the band: "You like Phish? I don't but after talking to you I may decide to expand my horizons."

In my experience, the people who WERE NOT wearing a PJ shirt were the cooler ones:

The guy that tried to push his way through the crowd at Lolla to hold up a sign for Ed to suggest a lyric change for Given To Fly: wearing a PJ t-shirt.

The ELITIST lady who took up a bunch of space at the rail with a fucking lawn chair so she could sit down for everyone else but PJ: wearing a PJ t-shirt.

The guy who went to get water for a bunch of people around him (ME): NOT wearing a PJ shirt.

The tall guy in front of me that let me in front of him so I could see: NOT wearing a PJ shirt.

The wonderful lady that I went with who came from Canada to see PJ: NOT wearing a PJ shirt.

Don't do it or at least wear an older tour shirt. It just makes you look like a nerd and apparently it makes you a son of a fuck bastard to other people.

aint nothing gonna make me look like a nerd,, but i hear what your're saying
  • Options
    LukinFan wrote:
    it is stupid- wear what you want. I always try and wear an older PJ shirt to the shows, if possible.

And by the way, love your location!!! :)

its the only location to be at dude
  • Options
    NCFUSER wrote:
    Don't Be That Guy

Exactly, but here's another thing to consider, do you see Ed, Jeff, Stone, Mike or Matt wearing Pearl Jam shirts at concerts?
    "If you love someone... set them free. If someone loves you, don't fuck it up." - Ed
  • Options
    Big EdBig Ed Posts: 331
    If anyone says something rude to my daughter in SC about wearing her Mookie 10C shirt, I'm gonna slap them in the mouth.
    Whats the big freakin' deal anyway. Of course the band members dont wear pj shirts on stage.....thats dumb.....but they do wear other bands shirts on stage.
    Ignoring Rusted Signs
  • Options
    R-Dub81R-Dub81 Posts: 374
    PCU:

"Droz: What's this? You're wearing the shirt of the band you're going to see? Don't be that guy." - Jeremy Pivon
    "Some people think it makes a difference...I think it's the difference that makes it" 

340xxx
    03 - Mansfield 3
    04 - Asheville
    06 - Hartford
    08 - Columbia, MSG 1, MSG 2, Hartford
    10 - Kansas City, Hartford
    12 - Atlanta
    13 - Charlotte
    16 - Columbia
    18 - Boston 2
  • Options
    Exactly, but here's another thing to consider, do you see Ed, Jeff, Stone, Mike or Matt wearing Pearl Jam shirts at concerts?

WHAT THE HELL DOES THAT HAVE TO DO WITH ANYTHING ?? lol

and yes i have seen them wear pj shirts on occasion
  • Options
    edgarcampedgarcamp Posts: 100
    Big Ed wrote:
    Of course the band members dont wear pj shirts on stage.....thats dumb......

Matt does.
  • Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,762
    R-Dub81 wrote:
    PCU:

"Droz: What's this? You're wearing the shirt of the band you're going to see? Don't be that guy." - Jeremy Pivon

Yeah, that quote has already made its way into this thread like a dozen times.

But thanks for playing. ;)
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    firecrotch23firecrotch23 Posts: 586
    who cares what is worn to a concert? i personally wear my atl hawks mookies jersey to shows, if you dont like it, tough titties!
    Small my table, seats just 3, its not crowded, its just lucky me
  • Options
    corduroidcorduroid Posts: 293
    I'm sportin' Hootie and the Blowfish, anything wrong with that?
  • Options
    Big EdBig Ed Posts: 331
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Big Ed
    Of course the band members dont wear pj shirts on stage.....thats dumb......

Quote: Matt does.

Well good....I'm glad I'm wrong. Wear whatever you want, and you shouldnt have to worry about what other people think.
    Ignoring Rusted Signs