Options

the "car guy" thread

Comments

• Options
    LizardLizard So Cal Posts: 12,069
    My husband is into old cars that are a pain in the ass!!! Rebuilt a ‘66 Mustang for my one son and the other son has a work in progress (runs most of the time) which is a ‘72 Chevelle. GAS GUZZLERS Too besides the problems that always pop up.
    Oh ...and he made us get a new Challenger when I had a boo boo in our old lady buick century and totaled it!!
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • Options
    evenflowevenflow Posts: 401
    Yeah, I was gonna say that drag racing isn't the only determining factor to a cars fun factor. Sometimes it can kinda kill it even. My vette runs a sub 10 sec. quarter, but is a bitch to try and race from a dead stop on the streets. Even at half throttle I'm spinning through 3rd, but once I catch traction it's on.

Quarter mile racing is really an American thing. Over in Europe and Japan it's all about road racing (not to be confused with street racing :) ). There's a really great vid I want to find about power vs handling, where a Miata takes on a viper on the road course. The results were pretty interesting.
    It's all about the music...

http://www.myspace.com/christianjame (Music Page)

Myspace: http://www.myspace.com/19598996 (Personal Page)
  • Options
    nuffingmannuffingman Posts: 3,014
    The fastest car they've ever tested on Top Gear.
    Pagani Zonda R doing a 6m.47secs at the Nurburgring.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPd0ATqv ... r_embedded
  • Options
    12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    81 wrote:
    am i missing something, because the numbers are not impressive at all.

http://www.zeroto60times.com/Mini-Coope ... Times.html

0-60 times hardly mean anything when it comes to how fun a car is to drive. Especially if your autocrossing and the highest speed you'll reach is well under 100 mph.
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    Obviously a small tight track favors a mini or miata, but there is something to be said for get up and go speed.

I'd take a old vette or new camaro over any little car. Love me some rumble.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    81 wrote:
    Obviously a small tight track favors a mini or miata, but there is something to be said for get up and go speed.

Fair enough. I know speed is always a big thrill. But to me, a really fast car is somewhat pointless. I hardly ever get a chance to really push my car on public roads, and when I do its only to about 10 over the speed limit and then I back off. Just the other day I did that and I immediately slowed down only to notice a cop sitting on the side of the road who pulled over another car. I have a friend with a 400+ hp Audi S4 and the thing is an absolute beasts (kills tuned evos) but its a pain to always have the urge to go that fast when you never have a chance. With that said, id rather just have something that I can toss around the corners. You cant get in trouble for that.

Oh and I live in north jersey, alot of cars on the road.
    Post edited by 12345AGNST1 on
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • Options
    chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157
    small car vs' powerful barge car in a cat & mouse game.
    this was me and my friends.

toyota corolla. me.
    ford elite/ford torino and monte carlos. friends. all are so much faster than my scrapyard little 4 banger.

they rarely caught me.
    the main reason... they weren't as nuts and they can't drive and what they used was to big for tight driving.
    dicks.

if you're gonna play cat and mouse you had better be willing to do 70 over several sets of speed bumps, jump highways, and blast around like a dumb asshole.

toyota corollas are tough little shits.
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    81 wrote:

Fair enough. I know speed is always a big thrill. But to me, a really fast car is somewhat pointless. I hardly ever get a chance to really push my car on public roads, and when I do its only to about 10 over the speed limit and then I back off. Just the other day I did that and I immediately slowed down only to notice a cop sitting on the side of the road who pulled over another car. I have a friend with a 400+ hp Audi S4 and the thing is an absolute beasts (kills tuned evos) but its a pain to always have the urge to go that fast when you never have a chance. With that said, id rather just have something that I can toss around the corners. You cant get in trouble for that.

Oh and I live in north jersey, alot of cars on the road.

plenty of traffic here. :lol:

cars can be such a touchy topic. my problem is the car i ever noticed as a kid was a mid 70's orange corvette. that thing was bad ass looking and still is. one of the best car designs ever.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    chadwick wrote:

toyota corolla. me.
    ford elite/ford torino and monte carlos. friends. all are so much faster than my scrapyard little 4 banger.

they rarely caught me.
    the main reason... they weren't as nuts and they can't drive and what they used was to big for tight driving.
    dicks.

if you're gonna play cat and mouse you had better be willing to do 70 over several sets of speed bumps, jump highways, and blast around like a dumb asshole.

you are just nuts.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    how about the new ZL1 Camaro. 550 HP of pure coolness.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    eyedclaareyedclaar Posts: 6,980
    chadwick wrote:

toyota corolla. me.

they rarely caught me.
    dicks.

This reminds me... :lol:

My first car was Subaru hatchback 4 banger and one time while driving to the University of Idaho (northern Idaho) from Boise, I got into a little race with a couple of jar head lookin’ motherfuckers. I had long hair and was wearing a tie dye shirt. Anyhoo, they had a much faster car than me, but they were not willing to drive like me on that windy river highway. I mean I had that little car practically on two wheels at times. I would totally lose them in places and then they’d start to catch back up. This went on for about 50 miles. Little did I know, they were two cops out of their jurisdiction. The radioed ahead and at the next county line I was greeted by 4 cop cars in a roadblock across the highway.
    Being my charming self, I made friends with them and somehow avoided being taken to jail. Every single one of them took turns coming up to talk to me and tell me what an idiot I am, but I totally sensed a grudging admiration from them. They wrote me a ticket for doing 95 + MPH and sent me on my way. I had that bitch over 100 at one point.
    Idaho's Premier Outdoor Writer

Please Support My Writing Habit By Purchasing A Book:

https://www.createspace.com/3437020

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000663025696

http://earthtremors.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    I drive a 2001 Acura Integra GS-R hatchback. Dented fender, in need of paint job, driver's side window doesnt work, cant get into my trunk. Top that bitches ;)
    We were but stones your light made us stars
  • Options
    eyedclaar wrote:
    chadwick wrote:

toyota corolla. me.

they rarely caught me.
    dicks.

This reminds me... :lol:

My first car was Subaru hatchback 4 banger and one time while driving to the University of Idaho (northern Idaho) from Boise, I got into a little race with a couple of jar head lookin’ motherfuckers. I had long hair and was wearing a tie dye shirt. Anyhoo, they had a much faster car than me, but they were not willing to drive like me on that windy river highway. I mean I had that little car practically on two wheels at times. I would totally lose them in places and then they’d start to catch back up. This went on for about 50 miles. Little did I know, they were two cops out of their jurisdiction. The radioed ahead and at the next county line I was greeted by 4 cop cars in a roadblock across the highway.
    Being my charming self, I made friends with them and somehow avoided being taken to jail. Every single one of them took turns coming up to talk to me and tell me what an idiot I am, but I totally sensed a grudging admiration from them. They wrote me a ticket for doing 95 + MPH and sent me on my way. I had that bitch over 100 at one point.

again... most times when i read an eyed story i am somehow peering into an old mirror or something, maybe a lake. :lol:

fucking eyed... crazy character.

i love it when the law says we're idiots, ticket us or not, and off we go on our merry way.

priceless.

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    I drive a 2001 Acura Integra GS-R hatchback. Dented fender, in need of paint job, driver's side window doesnt work, cant get into my trunk. Top that bitches ;)
    i love you

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    eyedclaareyedclaar Posts: 6,980
    chadwick wrote:
    again... most times when i read an eyed story i am somehow peering into an old mirror or something, maybe a lake. :lol:

i love it when the law says we're idiots, ticket us or not, and off we go on our merry way.

priceless.

Like you, I have been let go when I probably shouldn't have been. When I was young and reckless, I failed no less than 3 field sobriety tests and every time the cop put the car keys back in my hands and told me to go home.

Yes sir! Right away Officer! Just be cool and respectful, cops love that.
    Idaho's Premier Outdoor Writer

Please Support My Writing Habit By Purchasing A Book:

https://www.createspace.com/3437020

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000663025696

http://earthtremors.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    eyedclaar wrote:
    chadwick wrote:

priceless.

Like you, I have been let go when I probably shouldn't have been. When I was young and reckless, I failed no less than 3 field sobriety tests and every time the cop put the car keys back in my hands and told me to go home.

it is amazing how similar things happen to others. the rare, the amazing, the fearless, the badass,
    the very lucky, and the very stupid... that's us, yes/no? :lol:

cops love a good game of chase the dummy. most times a police officer is bored to death. in most cases they enjoy stupid bullshit. it's dark. motorcycle has zero lights or brakes anywhere. on accident i blasted through the cop shop's alley at about 40 or 50mph. the race was on. drunken dick. i got alleys mixed up. whoops.

a different time.
    "you drive like shit" i'll never forget that .. the cop's first words when he walked up to the car.
    i was driving a junky green vega, 16 yrs old trying to slide sideways on a wet street.
    funny shit.

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    bmwweirdoguybmwweirdoguy Right of Seattle Posts: 228
    Any "The Car Lounge" cross posters here?
    http://forums.vwvortex.com/forumdisplay.php?1-The-Car-Lounge
    "Trial and error isn't a bad way to learn how to build an aircraft, but it can be a disastrous way to learn how to build a civilization..."
  • Options
    81 wrote:

cars can be such a touchy topic. my problem is the car i ever noticed as a kid was a mid 70's orange corvette. that thing was bad ass looking and still is. one of the best car designs ever.

My uncle has the exact car. Orange 71 Stingray. Its in my grandmas garage for winter storage. Heres a pic of my car with it in the garage. Just copy the link, this friggin forum doesnt allow any pic thats bigger than the tip of a needle.

http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos- ... 6987_n.jpg
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • Options
    81 wrote:

My uncle has the exact car. Orange 71 Stingray. Its in my grandmas garage for winter storage. Heres a pic of my car with it in the garage. Just copy the link, this friggin forum doesnt allow any pic thats bigger than the tip of a needle.

damn it. i thought it was going to be the 71
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    My uncle has the exact car. Orange 71 Sting ray. Its in my grandmas garage for winter storage. Heres a pic of my car with it in the garage. Just copy the link, this friggin forum doesnt allow any pic thats bigger than the tip of a needle.

can a bulky dude even get in your car?
    i can't sit at a subway table and be comfortable, way to small.
    i dislike small things that jam me up and cramp my style.

one time i dated this chic who drove a car so tiny that my leg/thigh couldn't fit under the steering wheel to even get in the darn thing. good news for me, i got taxied around while i smoked :mrgreen: a bit all jammed up on the passenger side.

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    The mini has more interior room than you'd think. But even then its not too great. Im 5' 10 and my knee rests against the center console. oh and 4 hour drives to boston in it suck ass. even if your the front passenger. I dont really care though. the amount of fun outweighs the slight discomfort.
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,230
    not a car guy but juggs is in the market for a new car....leaning towards suv this time but want something that's at least halfway decent on gas mileage.

any opinions on the gmc terrain? from what i read it's one of the best crossover/mid size suv's out there. i would also get a decent discount on a gmc....

new explorer? better gas mileage than the older versions....
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,448
    look for me at the next PJ concert :shock: :lol:

bugatti-eb-164-veyron.jpg

baddest car on the planet. 1000+ hp and 280+ mph, as delivered.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,230
    eyedclaar wrote:
    chadwick wrote:

priceless.

this happened to me once...the other two times, eh not so lucky! :mrgreen: :x :x
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    eyedclaar wrote:
    chadwick wrote:

priceless.

this happened to me once...the other two times, eh not so lucky! :mrgreen: :x :x
    i am astounded
    thrilled with excitement... the jeags is in

well done, Sir.

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    Who PrincessWho Princess out here in the fields Posts: 7,305
    imalive wrote:

You musta been saving your pennies a long time for that one! :P
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • Options
    Mmmmm, nice blue car
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    imalive wrote:

The top speed is 255 mph, and its been beaten buy an american tuner car. Then Bugatti came out with a super sport version that got the record once again for 267 MPH. lol anyway it is a crazy car. But Ill take this fine lookin woman... err... car

http://www.diseno-art.com/encyclopedia/ ... _2010.html

if that aint the best lookin remake of a classic car, then you can shoot me and call me sally.
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • Options
    nuffingmannuffingman Posts: 3,014
    imalive wrote:

The top speed is 255 mph, and its been beaten buy an american tuner car. Then Bugatti came out with a super sport version that got the record once again for 267 MPH. lol anyway it is a crazy car. But Ill take this fine lookin woman... err... car

http://www.diseno-art.com/encyclopedia/ ... _2010.html

if that aint the best lookin remake of a classic car, then you can shoot me and call me sally.
    Hi Sally, where's my gun? :D
  • Options
    youngsteryoungster Boston Posts: 6,574
    I grew up a car nut when I lived with my father. I still love cars but can't afford to own more than one due to having a family and other financial obligations. My father owns a couple of nice cars. He has a 1971 Olds Cutlass Convertible, black with a gold stripe up the hood and trunk. He also has a 2007 Corvette coupe that he just got a couple months ago. He won't be able to drive it for another couple of months because of this pesky winter we are having in the northeast. I'll see if I can throw some pics up.
    He who forgets will be destined to remember.

9/29/04 Boston, 6/28/08 Mansfield, 8/23/09 Chicago, 5/15/10 Hartford
    5/17/10 Boston, 10/15/13 Worcester, 10/16/13 Worcester, 10/25/13 Hartford
    8/5/16 Fenway, 8/7/16 Fenway
    EV Solo: 6/16/11 Boston, 6/18/11 Hartford,