Options

10 reasons PJ is Better than Metallica

Comments

• Options
    OceanInDisguise13OceanInDisguise13 Behind the sun Posts: 919
    jets521 wrote:
    lina319 wrote:
    1-They have better, cooler fans who know very, very detailed information (Such as how many times has a song been played since released, if at all)

this is a foolish statement

and that is simply your opinion regarding my opinion. don't like it?? guess you must be a metallica fan?
    I wish I was an alien at home behind the sun.....
    I wanna race..with the sundown..I want a last breath..I don't let out...
  • Options
    ZidaneZidane Ottawa Posts: 362
    There's no dragons, lightning or the band members on the cover of PJ albums?! We're closer to nature like sheeps, roads, space and fruits! :)
    You're not what you own - Ian MacKaye, Fugazi

98 - Montreal
    00 - Montreal
    03 - Toronto, Montreal
    04 - Boston (Show #1)
    05 - Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto
    06 - Toronto (Show #1)
    09 - Toronto, Philly (Show #3-4)
    10 - Cleveland
    11 - Montreal, Toronto (x2), Ottawa
    13 - London (ON), Philly (x2)
    16 - QC - Ottawa

• Options
    lina319 wrote:
    jets521 wrote:
    lina319 wrote:
    1-They have better, cooler fans who know very, very detailed information (Such as how many times has a song been played since released, if at all)

this is a foolish statement

and that is simply your opinion regarding my opinion. don't like it?? guess you must be a metallica fan?

No it's foolish because Metallica has at least twice as many fans worldwide as PJ does and I'm sure a good portion of them are as obsessed with Metallica as people around here are obsessed with Pearl Jam
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    Reason number 1

Pearl Jam's last album wasn't shit.

Reason number 2

Pearl Jam's second to last album wasn't shit.

Reason number 3

Pearl Jam's third to last album...wasn't shit..

And so on and so forth until you probably get to Master of Puppets.
  • Options
    red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    edited February 2011
    PJ is better overall, but, regarding the Napster issue? Wasn't it just Lars who instigated that whole thing with going to court and trial? I'm not complaining and trashing anyone band wise just curious. I thought their was some sort of heavy backlash towards Lars because of it, and he changed his story on the whole reason for why he took them to court. Just asking.

I like Pearl jam alot more, and I Just connect with their music more. That being said, Metallica is a Great band as well, and do put on a great live show.

They have started doing what PJ does and sell mp3's of their shows online. Yes, PJ has always done it freely, But Metallica Fans can enjoy the mp3's of their shows now.

I do think that is cool though that Metallica does Meet and greets. That is cool . Just curious what's the price/ process of getting those?

regarding the napster thing- these is hilarious:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miIIgxXiyU8
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_q0Z3gBActg
    Post edited by red mos on
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • Options
    A couple musings:

Metallica "borrows" Pearl Jam music: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zt9Zpu98wqA

Pearl Jam brings the fire to shows with their music, Metallica brings it with pyrotechnics that incinerate the lead singer.

Vedder has shown more balls climbing dangerous shit and leaping from it than Hetfield has ever risked in anything.

Vedder's vocal capabilities are about 1000 times that of Hetfield's.

Pearl Jam likes one another without counselors being involved.

Vedder doesn't sound absolutely juvenile when addressing the audience and doesn't speak to the audience in third person.

Pearl Jam doesn't need to tell the city currently being played in 10,000 times that they love that city. I can't tell you how many times I heard, "Metallica loves you, Denver!"

Pearl Jam has never used trash can lids as percussion instruments like it sounds like Ulrich did on St. Anger. ;)

Now having said all that, I enjoy music and shows from both of them.
  • Options
    I Am Tall wrote:
    Reason number 1

Pearl Jam's last album wasn't shit.

Reason number 2

Pearl Jam's second to last album wasn't shit.

Reason number 3

Pearl Jam's third to last album...wasn't shit..

And so on and so forth until you probably get to Master of Puppets.

IMO....Death Magnetic blows Backspacer, Avocado, Riot Act and Binaural out of the water. And I liked Backspacer. Load does the same although I can't say the same about Reload.
  • Options
    RaidenRaiden Posts: 137
    Soulfire42 wrote:
    A couple musings:

Metallica "borrows" Pearl Jam music: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zt9Zpu98wqA
    Without watching I am assuming this is End of the Line's very Similar riff to Animal.

Pearl Jam brings the fire to shows with their music, Metallica brings it with pyrotechnics that incinerate the lead singer.
    Both bands are great live with or without pyro. Metallica 93 was still hands down the best live show I have ever seen but PJ overall have been more consistent.

Vedder has shown more balls climbing dangerous shit and leaping from it than Hetfield has ever risked in anything.
    Hey come on...you said it above - Hetfield stepped on pyro. How tough is that? Ha ha.

Vedder's vocal capabilities are about 1000 times that of Hetfield's.
    True..but Hetfield's guitar skills are over 1000 times better than Ed's.

Pearl Jam likes one another without counselors being involved.
    Don't think PJ members have always seen eye to eye but cant argue with the counselor part.

Vedder doesn't sound absolutely juvenile when addressing the audience and doesn't speak to the audience in third person.
    True....That is one thing I dont like about James

Pearl Jam doesn't need to tell the city currently being played in 10,000 times that they love that city. I can't tell you how many times I heard, "Metallica loves you, Denver!"
    True again

Now having said all that, I enjoy music and shows from both of them.

Me too...both amazing bands.
  • Options
    red mos wrote:
    PJ is better overall, but, regarding the Napster issue? Wasn't it just Lars who instigated that whole thing with going to court and trial? I'm not complaining and trashing anyone band wise just curious. I thought their was some sort of heavy backlash towards Lars because of it, and he changed his story on the whole reason for why he took them to court. Just asking.

I like Pearl jam alot more, and I Just connect with their music more. That being said, Metallica is a Great band as well, and do put on a great live show.

They have started doing what PJ does and sell mp3's of their shows online. Yes, PJ has always done it freely, But Metallica Fans can enjoy the mp3's of their shows now.

I do think that is cool though that Metallica does Meet and greets. That is cool . Just curious what's the price/ process of getting those?

regarding the napster thing- this is hilarious:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miIIgxXiyU8

Lars decided to be the face of the Napster fight and he paid dearly for it. He came across as a pretentious prick and as a result, the band suffered a lot of backlash and lost fans. I completely agree he went about it the wrong way but to those who think they are assholes for fighting Napster, do you think it's cool for me to download LOXL for free or any other album tracks? They stood up for what they believed in....how does that differ from fighting Ticketmaster (and essentially caving in and using them almost exclusively)?

The meet and greets go to 30 random fan club members at each show. You have to be a member but you don't have to pay to meet them.
  • Options
    You've never seen Eddie on fire on stage have you? Silly Metallica.
    Arms wide open with the sea as his floor...Soldier Field 1995, Council Bluffs 2003, Chicago 2003, Chicago 2006, Kansas City 2010, Wrigley Field 2013, Moline 2014, St. Paul 2014, Wrigley 2016 nights 1&2
  • Options
    RaidenRaiden Posts: 137
    red mos wrote:

Lars was the face of the whole napster thing and copped all the shit even though their were other bands/music acts supporting Metallica at the time. Oh and they never actually tried to sue any fans. In the end, they were right in what they were fighting for. Illegal downloading has been slowly killing the music industry since. Back then bands were selling 5-10 million copies in the US but now it is 2 million if you are lucky.

Many record companies have gone broke or have cut back on record deals so it is now very hard for talented bands to make it which sucks. We now get stuck with all the manufactured pop shit.
  • Options
    Another Pro-Met thing...I just logged into the Metclub website and waiting for me were a sale on leftover tour merchandise in the store, an update on the new issue of their fan club magazine (when is the last time we heard anything about Deep?), a new video of a song from an Australian show in November, new pictures of fan submissions to their headquarters and information for a local fan club chapter in Milan. This stuff was all updated today, February 14th. They usually do updates at least twice a week.
  • Options
    red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    Raiden wrote:
    red mos wrote:

Lars was the face of the whole napster thing and copped all the shit even though their were other bands/music acts supporting Metallica at the time. Oh and they never actually tried to sue any fans. In the end, they were right in what they were fighting for. Illegal downloading has been slowly killing the music industry since. Back then bands were selling 5-10 million copies in the US but now it is 2 million if you are lucky.

Many record companies have gone broke or have cut back on record deals so it is now very hard for talented bands to make it which sucks. We now get stuck with all the manufactured pop shit.[/quote

I've always said Napster opened the flood gate for digital music and illegal downloading. It might have been around before, but it was publisized through Napster. It's the starting point of why record labels and even some bands are scratching their heads trying to accomodate the new business module. Bands nowadays do suffer as a result. I agree. It has always been about opinion, but now Record labels are soley after what the "in" trend is. If it's emo punk pop generic shit, bands with that sound are HOPING to get signed. Major labels have always fed off Trends. My opinion is weird, cause I see what the labels are going through, and understand the frustration. However, Labels have always scrwewed bands, by obtaining rights to recordings once recorded, then making the bands pay back HUGE bills on an INVESTMENT the label made. "Running down a dream" leads great insight on this. So in a way, digital technology/ downloads are a middle finger to the labels.
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • Options
    12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    My M3 is faster than your vette
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • Options
    I refuse to bash Metallica.

2nd to PJ for my favorite band.

James Hetfield is amazing. He knelt down in front of me and Gave me the horns when I was on the rail at Nassau.

Seen them 5 times, and never disappointed me once. Load is a magical album... so much love for MET \m/
    They tour, and tour, and tour some more. Great fan club, and great times.

Hopethatyouchoke knows what im saying dontcha?

:D

I was on the rail for this great show.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmmP7uUqS_w

And LOL at the guy saying PJ gives the fans better choice of seating.... the same year I joined Metclub I was on the rail at Nassau above, the next show two days later I was on the floor, the show after that I wanted seats I was the first few rows off the floor.

So... yeah. In Madness we dwelllll.
    2008 - MSG 6/24-6/25
    2010 - Newark 5/18 MSG 5/21
    2011 - PJ20 9/3-9/4
    2012 - MIA Festival 9/2
    2013 - Wrigley Field 7/19 Brooklyn 10/18-10/19 Philly 10/22
    2015 - Colbert show - 9/23 Global Citizens Festival 9/26
    2016 - Philly 4/28-4/29 MSG 5/1-5/2

• Options
    starmap3333starmap3333 Posts: 3,908
    you're comparing pitchers and catchers.
    Ithaca, NY-11/6/91 SPAC, NY-8/4/92 Rochester, NY-4/7/94 Toronto-9/21/96 Buffalo, NY-10/1/96 Barrie, ONT-8/20/98 Pittsburgh, PA- 8/25/98 Jones Beach, NY-8/23/00 Jones Beach, NY-8/24/00 Jones Beach, NY-8/25/00 SPAC, NY-8/27/00 Buffalo, NY-5/2/03 MSG-7/8/03 MSG -7/9/03 Hamilton, ONT-9/13/05 Albany, NY-5/12/06 Cleveland, OH-5/20/06 Camden, NJ-5/27/06 East Ruth, NJ-6/3/06 Chicago, IL-8/5/07 Bonnaroo-6/14/08 MSG-6/24/08 MSG-7/25/08 Mansfield, MA-7/30/08 Chicago, IL-8/23/09 Philly, PA-10/30/09 Philly, PA-10/31/09 Buffalo, NY 5/10/10 MSG 1&2 5/20-21/10
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,611
    2 words:

Nap-Ster
  • Options
    dannydanny Posts: 2,270
    i think there is more than 10!
    danny d
  • Options
    weekapaug19weekapaug19 Posts: 2,278
    people need to stop comparing bands
  • Options
    Dead Man WalkingDead Man Walking Toronto-ish Posts: 2,761

^ This...
  • Options
    JoJo Posts: 2,098
    1. Better songs.
    2. Better sound.
    4. Better music.
    5. Better feelings.
    6. Better mentors.
    7. Better outlook.
    8. Better communication.
    9. Better dress.
    10. Better Fan Base.
  • Options
    I would just like to know where you work that you are able to debate PJ vs Metallica in the company newsletter. :lol:

But yeah, you can't compare bands really. Especially these two. It's amazing how wrong some PJ fans are in their assessment of Metallica, as I'm sure some of their fans would be of PJ as well.
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,195
    PJ closed down the Spectrum
  • Options
    FlaggFlagg Posts: 5,856

Agreed. These two bands have nothing in common other than the fact that they have made music for a long time, are committed to it and will continue for a long time.

And Metallica is awesome.
    DAL-7/5/98,10/17/00,6/9/03,11/15/13
    BOS-9/28/04,9/29/04,6/28/08,6/30/08, 9/5/16, 9/7/16, 9/2/18
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    PHL-5/27/06,5/28/06,10/30/09,10/31/09
    CHI-8/2/07,8/5/07,8/23/09,8/24/09
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    Bridge School-10/23/2010,10/24/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14
  • Options
    JoJo Posts: 2,098
    edited February 2011
    If your having a few friends and their family come over to your house,
    what ? out of the 2 bands would you put on?

That's my 11th reason.
    Post edited by Jo on
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    Yeah, lotta really ridiculously biased(for what?) views of Metallica. Seems like alotta jealousy really.

I don't see how you can fault Metallica for taking years off between touring. They come back around and tour relentlessly. And it's much better than the touring program that PJ has signed up for.

As others have said....Metallica fighting Napster was very much in the same vein as PJ fighting Ticketmaster, except now Metallica isn't selling their albums solely through Napster.

They're jerks?? Judging from the number of people that have met them and said otherwise that's easily disputable. They really seem like anything but that in interviews. I think Lars likes to play the rockstar, but he doesn't take it too seriously.

Seriously people hating on James for the rehab....That's just ridiculous. A dude in a metal band(once called Alcoholica) hittin rehab so he could remember raising his kids. Man, what a fuckin dick!!! :roll: Mike's been in rehab 2x and that's what we know about. I think it's cool that people under the pressure to party and also be creative in a state that they never have can overcome that.

Obviously I dig PJ's music, but Metallica has put out plenty of quality music out. Death Magnetic and St Anger aren't as good as their other stuff, but BS doesn't even sniff PJ's previous output.
  • Options
    evenflowevenflow Posts: 401
    Soulfire42 wrote:
    Pearl Jam has never used trash can lids as percussion instruments like it sounds like Ulrich did on St. Anger.

...uh actually Jack Irons did have a trash can lid cymbal in his kit. Thankfully it wasn't his only choice.

My M3 is faster than your vette

I got cash that says it's not. Unlike this thread, this is something we can compare. :twisted:
    It's all about the music...

http://www.myspace.com/christianjame (Music Page)

Myspace: http://www.myspace.com/19598996 (Personal Page)
  • Options
    ElusiveElusive Posts: 203
    I've never heard about any members of Pearl Jam going out and shooting innocent, defenseless animals for fun. James Hetfield on the other hand.......apparently will shoot anything that fucking moves.
    NY 4/17/94, NY 9/28/96,Camden 9/2/00, Philly 4/28/03,Camden 7/5/03, 7/6/03, MSG 7/8/03, 7/9/03, Holmdel 7/14/03, Reading 10/1/04, Camden 5/28/06, 6/1/06, 6/3/06, Lollapalooza 8/5/07, Camden 6/19/08, 6/20/08, MSG 6/24/08, 6/25/08, EV solo 8/5/08, 8/7/09,6/11/09,6/12/09, Chicago 8/24/09, Philly 10/27/09, 10/28/09, 10/30/09, Newark 5/18/10, MSG 5/20/10 & 5/21/10, EV Solo 6/21/11, 6/22/2016, PJ20, Brooklyn 10/18/13, 10/19/13, Philly 10/21/13, 10/22/13, Philly 4/28/2016, NYC
  • Options
    Elusive wrote:
    I've never heard about any members of Pearl Jam going out and shooting innocent, defenseless animals for fun. James Hetfield on the other hand.......apparently will shoot anything that fucking moves.

Didn't PJ just sell their music (DTE) to a nature show where what you just described happens every episode?
  • Options
    pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    Backspacer

Ten (Reissue)

Pearl Jam

Riot Act

Binaural

Yield

No Code

Vitalogy

vs.

Ten