Options

10 reasons PJ is Better than Metallica

Comments

• Options
    Gary CarterGary Carter Shea Stadium Posts: 13,940

5) Oh the hypocrisy! Metallica fired a founding band member due to drug/alcohol problems (i.e., Dave Mustaine) while Pearl Jam saves their own http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Save_You, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_McCready

6) One word: Mullets. Maybe they were just victims of the 80s, but really is there an excuse for these hairdos?
    http://www.fortunecity.co.uk/southbank/ ... ling1.html
    5-dave k who was an original member of pj was fired cause he was a drunk

6- stone had a ponytail ffs

disproving things are fun aren't they
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• Options
    Great points--perhaps I should consult NASA science in the future before posting on a message board about rock music.

Please do. More info here at nasa.gov
  • Options
    metsfan wrote:

5) Oh the hypocrisy! Metallica fired a founding band member due to drug/alcohol problems (i.e., Dave Mustaine) while Pearl Jam saves their own http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Save_You, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_McCready

6) One word: Mullets. Maybe they were just victims of the 80s, but really is there an excuse for these hairdos?
    http://www.fortunecity.co.uk/southbank/ ... ling1.html
    5-dave k who was an original member of pj was fired cause he was a drunk

6- stone had a ponytail ffs

disproving things are fun aren't they

"disproving things are fun aren't they" -- what does that mean? Are you from Long Island or something?
    "Goddamn Romans. Sure know how to make a ... drum room." --Matt Cameron
  • Options
    Gary CarterGary Carter Shea Stadium Posts: 13,940
    1. you said pearl jam look out for their own, which isn't true considering they kicked out dave k for being a drunk. which is why i said disproving things are fun.

2. wtf does me being from long island have to with anything:?? looking for a board fight?

3. a ponytail is cooler then a mullet, really now?
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• Options
    metsfan wrote:
    1. you said pearl jam look out for their own, which isn't true considering they kicked out dave k for being a drunk. which is why i said disproving things are fun.

2. wtf does me being from long island have to with anything:?? looking for a board fight?

3. a ponytail is cooler then a mullet, really now?

OK--you're right "disproving things are fun aren't they" is a perfectly legitimate sentence in the English language and adheres quite closely to the rules of grammar. My bad.

Though I must take issue with the implication that at any point in the 36 years of my existence I defended ponytails as a hairstyle for grown men. Never happened. Ever.
  • Options
    you just need 1 reason metallica is greedy, they fuckin cry over napster, remember that shit that when i lost respect for them , i dont think pearl jam cared much considering all the bootlegs out there before they even released any of their own live show cds. i miss vhs i have over 100 pj shows on vhs i can still play them, but no one will trade them with me no more cause everyone uses dvd or computer now
  • Options
    this is a shallow post :!:
  • Options
    It aint about who is better, Each to there own etc. Having a "cock off" over both bands makes me cringe. Losers.
  • Options
    this is a shallow post :!:

Isn't that the point? The OP is having a competition with his boss in a company newsletter--which I think (a) is super fucking cool of his boss and his company and (b) leads me to believe that the content is supposed to be funny/sarcastic, so normal people get it (please note: if you own or have ever contemplated owning pearl jam socks you are NOT normal--which is cool; the thought has crossed my mind trust me).
  • Options
    10 Reasons Metallica is better than Pearl Jam (purely as a writing exercise and to counterbalance the 10 reasons I put above about why Pearl Jam is better than Metallica)

1) Mr. Mumbles--what the fuck is that Vedder guy talking about most of the time?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLd22ha_-VU -- at the bare minimum least you can understand Hetfield!

2) Power chords--Metallica are the kings of brain rattling bar chord progression (see Master of Puppets) while Pearl Jam makes wimpy songs about "Parachutes."

3) Chicks--in their heyday, Metallica had hot chicks waiting them in the showers after concerts whereas Pearl Jam when they were super huge were like a bunch of monks keeping their wangs in their jeans --I mean what's her name from 90210 was worth at least one roll in the hay.

4) Album Covers--Pearl Jam has cute sheep and Polaroid montages that form a pyramid on their album covers--Metallica's album covers just straight up ROCK
    http://www.metallicaworld.co.uk/metalli ... _guide.htm

5) Merchandise--Pearl Jam actually sells branded socks to their fans--how lame is that??
    https://secure.pearljam.com/store/produ ... g?sku=4097 --

6) EMO -- before Pearl Jam, no one sang about their deep dark feelings--now everyone does. Seriously, why did Pearl Jam have to kill the party.

7) Ping Pong--Pearl Jam brings a ping pong table with them to pass the time backstage. Metallica brings awesomeness and let's their fans hang
    http://www.encycmet.com/news/2008-05-02.shtml

8) Bootlegs--Pearl Jam may have pioneered selling bootlegs to their fans, but Metallica actually gives them a way for FREE http://metallicaboots.tripod.com/boots.htm

9) No doubt that Metallica have gone through some changes in the image department--but at least they've evolved and don't wear white jeans (on a regular basis).

10) "The Jamily"-- what pearl jam fans call each other-- Seriously????http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,1191033,00.html
  • Options
    DedvwDedvw Posts: 245
    It aint about who is better, Each to there own etc. Having a "cock off" over both bands makes me cringe. Losers.

Judging by the context of your post,

1) Your overly uptight/angry.

and

2) You probably wouldn't work out at my place of employment, so you might not understand where I'm coming from.
  • Options
    TheVan218 wrote:
    Neuge wrote:
    vant0037 wrote:
    Pearl Jam never wrote the lyric "Give me fuel, give me fire, give me that which I desire..."

Yuuuuuuck.
    Or "my lifestyle determines my deathstyle"

Either of those over "ask, I'm an ear" ANY DAY.

How about "I'm madly in anger with you"

this lyrical play on words was nothing short of genius :thumbup:
    St. Louis 07/02/98, St. Louis 10/11/00, New York 07/08/03, New York 07/09/03, Chicago 05/16/06, Chicago 05/17/06, Bridge School 10/21/06, Bridge School 10/22/06, Chicago 07/05/07, Chicago 07/24/09, Kansas City 05/03/10, St Louis 05/04/10, PJ20 09/03/11, PJ20 09/04/11, Chicago 07/19/13, St. Louis 10/03/14, Ohana 09/24/21 (EV/Earthings), Ohana 09/25/21 (EV/Earthlings), Ohana 09/26/21, Nashville 09/16/22, Louisville 09/17/22, St. Louis 09/18/22, Oklahoma City 09/20/22

• Options
    n8dawg79n8dawg79 Virginia Posts: 129
    I am a fan of both bands, have been for some time. The first CD I ever purchased was Ten and the second was Metallica's Black Album. I have seen Metallica perform twice. Pearl Jam once. However, I have noticed that with the last few Metallica albums I have become disconnected with their music, whereas "Just Breathe" is a good song that reflects where I am at this point in my life.

I think my disconnect with Metallica comes from the fact that Hetfield and Ulrich are both parents, millionaires, and have a lot to be proud of in their lives, yet, through the last two albums have tried to make songs that are still angsty and full of rebellion. At what point does this become a contrivance? Each time I listen to a song from St. Anger or Death Magnetic, I think to myself that they are just writing lyrics that will come off as rebellious and play with younger listeners, because who, approaching 50 honestly feels that way? It is like the Rap artists who, after buying their McMansion and Bentley, still write about slinging drugs and living in the hood. It is not genuine.

With Pearl Jam, their music has evolved with them and still conveys to me, the listener, the feeling that it is authentic. The early albums were full of angst but that is not where the band is at anymore. I think that listeners can spot authenticity, I think it is impossible to write an enduring song if it does not come from within.

I will not go into who is better, but I know who I listen to more.
    Salt Lake City, Utah - Sept 28, 2009
    East Troy, Wisconsin - Sept 3. 2011
    East Troy, Wisconsin - Sept 4, 2011
    Charlottesville, Virginia - Oct 29, 2013
    Hampton, Virginia - Apr 18, 2016
  • Options
    vant0037vant0037 Posts: 6,075
    I've got 5... with some more time I can come up with 5 more

Can you imagine Eddie Vedder shopping at Armani?
    http://www.themetalinquisition.com/2008 ... ption.html
    Yes I could. He's worth $80mil. He's not shopping at KMart. Also again....at least there isn't a Hetfield pot holder

While Pearl Jam was trying to make affordable high quality full concert bootlegs available for fans, Metallica was suing Napster.
    Did you read any of the rest of this thread? Metallica had a free tapers section for as long as I can remember. They encouraged free trading of their shows. They currently have available a full download of every show they have played since 2004 as well as numerous vault shows for free. Last time I bought fan club tickets, I got a FREE download of the show I went to. They sued Napster because their music, and everyone else's music, was being stolen.

Oh the hypocrisy! Metallica fired a founding band member due to drug/alcohol problems (i.e., Dave Mustaine) while Pearl Jam saves their own http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Save_You, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_McCready
    Really dude? Read some of biographies about early Metallica and then comment on why Mustaine was kicked out of the band. This is your weakest point yet. I guess it's ok to kick someone out of your band for actually enjoying being famous?

I think you're taking this far too personally. Its clearly opinion-based and just a joke...
    1998-06-30 Minneapolis
    2003-06-16 St. Paul
    2006-06-26 St. Paul
    2007-08-05 Chicago
    2009-08-23 Chicago
    2009-08-28 San Francisco
    2010-05-01 NOLA (Jazz Fest)
    2011-07-02 EV Minneapolis
    2011-09-03 PJ20
    2011-09-04 PJ20
    2011-09-17 Winnipeg
    2012-06-26 Amsterdam
    2012-06-27 Amsterdam
    2013-07-19 Wrigley
    2013-11-21 San Diego
    2013-11-23 Los Angeles
    2013-11-24 Los Angeles
    2014-07-08 Leeds, UK
    2014-07-11 Milton Keynes, UK
    2014-10-09 Lincoln
    2014-10-19 St. Paul
    2014-10-20 Milwaukee
    2016-08-20 Wrigley 1
    2016-08-22 Wrigley 2
    2018-06-18 London 1
    2018-08-18 Wrigley 1
    2018-08-20 Wrigley 2
    2022-09-16 Nashville
    2023-08-31 St. Paul
    2023-09-02 St. Paul
    2023-09-05 Chicago 1
  • Options
    WaveRyderWaveRyder Posts: 1,128
    broloco wrote:
    love both bands so this is tough...but ...PJ don't rely on or need falling Lady Justices, falling stuntmen, falling coffins, smoke, fireworks, etc. at their concerts. they simply play their awesome music. end of

indeed.

ive seen metallica three times. the first time, fuckin' awesome. The second time - it was good. The third time at Bonnaroo - can i have my 2 hours back please.
    RC, SoDak 1998 - KC 2000 - Council Bluffs IA 2003 - Fargo ND 2003 - St. Paul MN 2003 - Alpine Valley 2003 - St Louis MO 2004 - Kissimmee FLA 2004 - Winnipeg 2005 - Thunder Bay 2005 - Chicago 2006 - Grand Rapids MI 2006 - Denver CO 2006 - Lollapalooza 2007 - Bonnaroo 2008 - Austin City Limits 2009 - Los Angeles 2009 - KC 2010 - St Louis MO 2010 - PJ20 Night 1 - PJ20 Night 2
  • Options
    there is Metallica fan named Hoffa who is the worst fan in the world and i'm writing this for him. :nono:
  • Options
    vaggar99vaggar99 San Diego USA Posts: 3,426
    pearl jam has hundreds of songs. Metallica has lots of noise and a few songs.
  • Options
    FlyingwFlyingw Brantford Posts: 443
    OK...I am a big fan of both bands. Seen Metallica 10+ times (and won a meet+ greet), and wish I had seen PJ more than I have. OK - Bias neutralized.

Metallica are better showmen. Pyro, laser, and light show is way better. To see ONE show. Metallica is better.

PJ creates a more varied concert experience. More soulful. And yes, better - kinder fans. If you were going to follow a band at several shows, PJ is the way to go.

I have bought all albums by both bands. Metallica energizes and reaches me at a deep level, whereas PJ warms my heart and is something that I can appreciate more at this stage of my life.

If you want to check out what Metallica thinks about their fans...their 30th anniversary was celebrated be playing four shows at the Fillmore in SF. Only repeated 1 song in 4 nights. Cost to attend all 4 shows was $19.81, by lottery.
    And released 4 unreleased songs via Metclub over the four days. The Metclub is better, but the PJ forum is way better.

Metallica is clearly ahead on the production of concert videos (even the 3D movie this fall).

But who would I rather see in concert right now? PJ. What T-shirt am I wearing now...Metallica \m/
    Aug 18/93 Toronto, May 9/06 Toronto, Sept 11/11 Toronto, Sept 15/11 Hamilton,
    July 16/13 London, Oct 12/13 Buffalo, Oct 17/14 Detroit,
    April 8/16, Ft. Lauderdale, April 9/16 Miami, May 8/16 Ottawa, May 10/16 Toronto
    May 11/16 Toronto, Aug 20/16 Wrigley, Aug 22/16 Wrigley, TOTD Nov 5/16 Philly
  • Options
    This is and was a dumb comparison. Apples to oranges. :fp:
  • Options
    fox_mulderXfox_mulderX Posts: 1,134
    This is and was a dumb comparison. Apples to oranges. :fp:

Yeah, hard to compare both bands but I think it was done for fun. Both writers are probably huge fans of the band they're writing in favour of and just wanted to have some fun.
  • Options
    TinAntTinAnt Posts: 343
    3 year old thread
  • Options
    jumbojetjumbojet Posts: 1,484
    I am also a casual Metallica fan so I think I could comment on a few stuff.

1-) Eddie is a better vocalist than James. I think for a high-profile band like Metallica, rythm guitar and lead vocals are too huge a burden, especially at live shows.

2-) Although Metallica song structures are more complex, the jamming and spontanity of live shows is less than PJ. I've been to 3 Metallica shows and I've not seen much deviation from studio versions.

3-) Metallica sued Napster while PJ always allowed, almost encouraged unofficial bootlegs.

4-) What Metallica did to Newstead is unacceptable. PJ also had issues within band members but I dont think anyone thought of repressing another band member like in Metallica.

Other than these above, I have utmost respect for Metallica and enjoy their music a lot. They're the pioneers of the genre and their innovativeness cannot be questioned. Their Ride the lightning - Master of Puppets - And justice for all album run is glorious. The Black Album is also so much fun.

But PJ is PJ. 8-)
    What's your part, who you are?

2012: Arras, Berlin 1-2
    2013: Sao Paulo, Buenos Aires
    2014: Milano, Trieste, Vienna, Berlin
    2016: NY MSG 1
  • Options
    fox_mulderXfox_mulderX Posts: 1,134
    jumbojet wrote:

1-) Eddie is a better vocalist than James. I think for a high-profile band like Metallica, rythm guitar and lead vocals are too huge a burden, especially at live shows.

2-) Although Metallica song structures are more complex, the jamming and spontanity of live shows is less than PJ. I've been to 3 Metallica shows and I've not seen much deviation from studio versions.

3-) Metallica sued Napster while PJ always allowed, almost encouraged unofficial bootlegs.

4-) What Metallica did to Newstead is unacceptable. PJ also had issues within band members but I dont think anyone thought of repressing another band member like in Metallica.

Other than these above, I have utmost respect for Metallica and enjoy their music a lot. They're the pioneers of the genre and their innovativeness cannot be questioned. Their Ride the lightning - Master of Puppets - And justice for all album run is glorious. The Black Album is also so much fun.

But PJ is PJ. 8-)

What did they do to Newstead? I've never actually looked into why he left. Strange.
  • Options
    ceskaceska New York Posts: 1,077
    jumbojet wrote:

PJ allowed trading of audience concert recordings; they have never allowed videotaping/trading nor trading of commercially available material (albums and official bootlegs still in the shop). So the two are really not that far apart.
  • Options
    nutbarznutbarz Posts: 227
    What did they do to Newstead? I've never actually looked into why he left. Strange.

I FOund this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtpSkGOG-Ww

Echobrain was pretty cool. I am so Glad PJ have always allowed each other to have their side projects
  • Options
    Pearl Jam doesn't rhyme every couplet with "ughhhhhhh"
  • Options
    WhyGo91WhyGo91 Posts: 639
    Pearl Jam doesn't make fun of Layne Staley's drug addiction on stage WHILE they're on tour with Alice in Chains.....like Metallica did....
    446927_artist.jpg?0119
  • Options
    sslagsslag Posts: 4
    * 1992-2013. Metallica master pieces = 0. 21 years without making happy to theirs fans. Pearl Jam master pieces = All theis career fits in this period.

* Coherence in all his career. Metallica make films crying with his psychologist if films crying with psycholgist give money. This is no coherence.
  • Options
    mrk2mrk2 Finland Posts: 2,026
    jumbojet wrote:

While Metallica sued Napster, they have also allowed and actually encouraged unofficial bootlegs. They even had specific taper sections at their shows in the early 90's.
    225xxx - 6/28/00, 10/20/01, 10/22/01, 9/11/06, 9/22/06, 9/23/06, 6/18/07, 6/26/07, 8/15/09, 6/25/10, 6/30/10, 7/4/12, 7/5/12, 7/7/12, 7/10/12, 6/26/14, 6/28/14, 7/3/18, 7/5/18
  • Options
    MG79478MG79478 Posts: 1,628
    lina319 wrote:
    1-They have better, cooler fans who know very, very detailed information (Such as how many times has a song been played since released, if at all)

2-Their tour posters are very nice works of art

3-PJ band members are great guys who support great causes

4-The Ten C

Not everyone thinks that the PJ fans and the "great causes" PJ supports are a plus.

Here is a good one though... Because Matt Cameron's second band (Soundgarden) is better than Metallica.