The Golf Thread

Comments

• polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    No doubt. And I loved the rotation that Azinger employed in 08. That seemed to put the Euros on their heels.

http://boston.barstoolsports.com/random-thoughts/the-european-ryder-cup-team-rages-after-beating-the-us/
    Not sure if you guys saw this, but I grabbed it off barstool sports boston. It's a video of the Euro Ryder Cup team "raging" after their big win Monday. You can see Ian Poulter, Rory and Luke Donald in the vid. I still cant believe we lost to such a bunch of sissies. Talented beyond comprehension, but sissies nonetheless.

haha ... bitter much!??

sissies!?? ... c'mon man ... is this kindergarten?
  • polaris_x wrote:
    haha ... bitter much!??

:lol: Im sorry polaris, that's the best I could come up with. Cheers to the Euros, much respect for a well-deserved and hard fought win. Ian Poulter just kills me. He's probably hilarious to drink with.
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • nuffingmannuffingman Posts: 3,014
    polaris_x wrote:
    haha ... bitter much!??

:lol: Im sorry polaris, that's the best I could come up with. Cheers to the Euros, much respect for a well-deserved and hard fought win. Ian Poulter just kills me. He's probably hilarious to drink with.
    :lol: You saved yourself then. At least none of the US team looked like sissies.

picture2oh.png
    polaris_x wrote:
    haha ... bitter much!??

hahaha ... it's all good ... just callin' ya out for fun! ... :mrgreen:
  • Cool just found this thread! I grew up playing golf in Myrtle Beach, so name the course, I've probably played it at one time or another. Favorite course down there was Pawley's Plantation, or Kings North. Maybe Wachesaw East or the Plantation course. Now that I'm back in the MD/PA area I don't play a whole lot. Luckily, I've gotten involved with the AT&T National at Congressional. I'm on the Thru Board committee. It is an amazing experience to see the players up close and personal. Sergio Garcia is my favorite and he is just awesome with the fans. I've got a great picture of him with his arm around my ex-girlfriend when he won the Booze Allen in '05! Last year I was one of the eight selected in our committee to play the exclusive Congressional CC Blue course two days after Tiger Woods won the tournament. Same pin placements, but the white tees. That was the most enjoying round of 120 I've ever shot. Normally I shoot 90. I played bogey golf until the 11th, and you can clearly tell why Tiger shot 5-over on that hole for the tourney. I'm also lucky enough to be selected for the Leaderboard/Thru Board committee for the US Open next year at Congressional. So I will be there everyday!!! Can't wait!!!!!
  • Cool just found this thread! I grew up playing golf in Myrtle Beach, so name the course, I've probably played it at one time or another. Favorite course down there was Pawley's Plantation, or Kings North. Maybe Wachesaw East or the Plantation course. Now that I'm back in the MD/PA area I don't play a whole lot. Luckily, I've gotten involved with the AT&T National at Congressional. I'm on the Thru Board committee. It is an amazing experience to see the players up close and personal. Sergio Garcia is my favorite and he is just awesome with the fans. I've got a great picture of him with his arm around my ex-girlfriend when he won the Booze Allen in '05! Last year I was one of the eight selected in our committee to play the exclusive Congressional CC Blue course two days after Tiger Woods won the tournament. Same pin placements, but the white tees. That was the most enjoying round of 120 I've ever shot. Normally I shoot 90. I played bogey golf until the 11th, and you can clearly tell why Tiger shot 5-over on that hole for the tourney. I'm also lucky enough to be selected for the Leaderboard/Thru Board committee for the US Open next year at Congressional. So I will be there everyday!!! Can't wait!!!!!
    :shock: That's awesome bro. Great story. And I love the username too.
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • Drowned OutDrowned Out Posts: 6,056
    Looks like this kinda turned into a Ryder Cup thread...but here are a couple of nice courses up this way if anyone ever vacations in the Canadian Rockies:

http://www.banffspringsgolfclub.com/Welcome.html
    http://www.kananaskisgolf.com/

This is pretty much my home course, I play here more than any other course...not too expensive, decent layout...and they have GPS screens in the carts, and locators in the tees/pins - love that. Now if they could just put them in the frickin balls!
    http://www.theranchgolf.com/home/index.php
  • Looks like this kinda turned into a Ryder Cup thread...
    This is an everything golf thread. I started it because there was an absence of golf talk on the AET. It's for talking about courses, your own game, bitching about PGA and Euro tournaments and majors.

Thanks for your input here. I've always wanted to golf in Canada. You have so much natural beauty up there!
  • nuffingmannuffingman Posts: 3,014
    Looks like this kinda turned into a Ryder Cup thread...but here are a couple of nice courses up this way if anyone ever vacations in the Canadian Rockies:

http://www.banffspringsgolfclub.com/Welcome.html
    http://www.kananaskisgolf.com/

This is pretty much my home course, I play here more than any other course...not too expensive, decent layout...and they have GPS screens in the carts, and locators in the tees/pins - love that. Now if they could just put them in the frickin balls!
    http://www.theranchgolf.com/home/index.php
    Nice courses. Makes me think about starting playing again. Have you ever been chased off a course by a bear? We don't have animal problems in the UK but you hear all sorts about courses around the world.
    Looks like this kinda turned into a Ryder Cup thread...
    This is an everything golf thread. I started it because there was an absence of golf talk on the AET. It's for talking about courses, your own game, bitching about PGA and Euro tournaments and majors.

Thanks for your input here. I've always wanted to golf in Canada. You have so much natural beauty up there!

Ya, and LOTS of land for it! Edmonton has the most golf courses in the world per capita....too bad the season is like 4 days long :lol:

nuffingman wrote:
    Nice courses. Makes me think about starting playing again. Have you ever been chased off a course by a bear? We don't have animal problems in the UK but you hear all sorts about courses around the world.
    I've never had a problem with bears...the biggest problems I know of are with Canadian Geese shitting everywhere...I once had a Marmot try to grab my ball...other than that, nothing of note. Most of the wildlife golf horror stories I hear are about the Southern States, and involve alligators.
  • g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,120
    adam42381 wrote:
    g under p wrote:
    adam42381 wrote:
    I was in the Outer Banks of North Carolina this past weekend for a wedding and had the opportunity to play at The Currituck Club in Corolla. Very nice course but a bit pricey. We got on for $100 (plus $50 for rental clubs) which is a discount from the normal rate. I would recommend it if you're in the area and don't mind spending the money. I typically don't spend that kind of cash on golf but it was for a special occasion and the groom really wanted to play. I'm glad I did.

I love the seclusion of Corolla NC, even though I miss the wild horses that once roamed the area. Yes in Corolla they have the best putt putt course I've ever played. You play on natural grass all 18 holes. The ocean there is almost as nice as it is here in the Palm Beaches FL.

Peace

m_96608313e6921779ba975517418a92b0.gif
    We stayed on the remote north end of Corolla. We actually had to drive about 2 miles on the beach to get to the house where we stayed. The access was by 4 wheel drive only. We saw a few wild horses around the house which was pretty cool. I'd never been there before but I would definitely recommend the Corolla area if you are looking for privacy and seclusion.

Yes I've been 4 wheeling up there and even got stuck near the entrance. Beautiful and secluded up there while just walking the beach.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• BLACK35BLACK35 Hanover, Ontario Posts: 22,438
    Ya, and LOTS of land for it! Edmonton has the most golf courses in the world per capita....too bad the season is like 4 days long :lol:

nuffingman wrote:
    I've never had a problem with bears...the biggest problems I know of are with Canadian Geese shitting everywhere...I once had a Marmot try to grab my ball...other than that, nothing of note. Most of the wildlife golf horror stories I hear are about the Southern States, and involve alligators.[/quote]

The geese are brutal, I played in a tournament 2 weeks ago and this one par 5, beautiful hole, had I will say atleast over 100 geese on the fairway. Of course it didn't matter where you hit your ball, you had to navigate the bird shit walking to your ball, man I hate that. But I guess that is better than being chased by a bear :lol:
    2005 - London
    2009 - Toronto
    2010 - Buffalo
    2011 - Toronto 1&2
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Cincinnati, St. Louis, Detroit
    2016 - Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Ottawa, Toronto 1
    2018 - Fenway 1&2
    2022 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2023 - Chicago 1&2
  • Agreed. Geese shit>getting chased by a bear. We have a geese shit problem down here, but it can't be as bad as Canada.

Viva Fall golf in New England. I'm a sucker for foliage.
    This weekend might be last good weekend we have for golf around here. Should be around 20 tomorrow and Sunday (around 78 for you golf freaks down south) Definately probably my last round of the yr, the clubs sadly will be put away for the yr then :cry::cry:
    2005 - London
    2009 - Toronto
    2010 - Buffalo
    2011 - Toronto 1&2
    2018 - Fenway 1&2
    2022 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2023 - Chicago 1&2
  • Last week I scored a perfectly seasoned Cleveland 588 RTG 60* wedge at a local antique shop for $16.50! It needs to be re-gripped of course but I'm so thrilled with it! I already have one but it's old and I don't trust it. I'm guessing the shop thought that since it was rusted it was in bad shape so they sold it at that low price. It's perfect! Love my Cleveland TA-5's and 588 wedges!

Anyone play golf in Maine? I've played a few, but mainly stick to Turner Highlands. I've also hacked up The Ledges.
    Haven't played any golf in Maine. The only courses I've played in the states was at Fore Lakes in Port Huron Michigan. Awesome course, lots of water, always in great condition.
    The Optimist Club I belong to goes down once in the summer (bus trip) for a tourney. We even have a green jacket/blazer that we bought and we put the club crest on it and is awarded to the winner during the supper :D
    2005 - London
    2009 - Toronto
    2010 - Buffalo
    2011 - Toronto 1&2
    2018 - Fenway 1&2
    2022 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2023 - Chicago 1&2
  • g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,120
    Tiger Woods about to lose his #1 ranking to Lee Westwood....
    http://bleacherreport.com/articles/4879 ... t-for-long

This is what happens when you take away Tiger's strength...Women.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

This might be old news for you guys, but I downloaded a range-finder on my blackberry before my round last week...its called "swing by swing golf"....its pretty accurate and has all the courses I've played at mapped...and its free!
  • Yeah, Phil really gave away his chances to take the #1. The cool thing is that all three can take over the top spot next April in Augusta. That's gonna make for some fun tv if those three are all in contention Sunday.
    anyone know of an all-inclusive golf resort in arizona!? ... one that has at least 3 championship courses?
  • polaris_x wrote:
    anyone know of an all-inclusive golf resort in arizona!? ... one that has at least 3 championship courses?
    Talk to mca47, I believe he lives in Arizona and he's posted on this thread a few times. I think there's another AZ golfer that's posted on this thread, but the name escapes me.
  • Just a reminder to everyone snatching up wedges before the end of the year to get those lofts and lies checked before taking them home. I went against my better judgement and made my only iron/wedge purchase ever at TGW. Ordered a few Ping Wedges the 54 degree was measured by my pro at my home course at 57 and the 58 came in at 60. I've been a Vokey guy for a long time and usually have to go through at least 3-4 to find one in the store thats the correct loft/lie.
  • "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • BinFrogBinFrog MA Posts: 7,292
    polaris_x wrote:
    Talk to mca47, I believe he lives in Arizona and he's posted on this thread a few times. I think there's another AZ golfer that's posted on this thread, but the name escapes me.

I've played a lot of courses in the Scottsdale area, but I can't speak about all-inclusive resorts.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    Golf is back....
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Golf is back....

:thumbup: :clap::clap: Can Phil pull out a victory in his 1st tourney of the yr?
    2005 - London
    2009 - Toronto
    2010 - Buffalo
    2011 - Toronto 1&2
    2018 - Fenway 1&2
    2022 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2023 - Chicago 1&2
    VEGAS BABY, Can the rookie pull of back to back to start his career.....I'm pulling for him. But looks like Phil is going for the late push :|
    2005 - London
    2009 - Toronto
    2010 - Buffalo
    2011 - Toronto 1&2
    2018 - Fenway 1&2
    2022 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2023 - Chicago 1&2
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    BLACK35 wrote:
    VEGAS BABY, Can the rookie pull of back to back to start his career.....I'm pulling for him. But looks like Phil is going for the late push :|

Hell of a putt from Watson right there.
    Real nice putt, its over...........nice finish though
    2005 - London
    2009 - Toronto
    2010 - Buffalo
    2011 - Toronto 1&2
    2018 - Fenway 1&2
    2022 - Hamilton, Toronto