Options

Ticket prices are consistant and fair.

Comments

• Options
    chromiamchromiam Posts: 4,114
    over_bends wrote:
    I think we can all agree it's better than $2000 to see Hanna Montana.

What Hanna Montana show charged $2000/ticket??? (as the face value)
    This is your notice that there is a problem with your signature. Please remove it.

Admin

Social awareness does not equal political activism!

5/23/2011- An utter embarrassment... ticketing failures too many to list.
  • Options
    Kel VarnsenKel Varnsen Posts: 1,951
    BEFORE replying please note that numbers used are for illistrative purposes ONLY:

Yes Pearl Jam could charge less and make gobs of $$$, but what about their own crew, local crews, promoters, venue staff, etc etc etc? 6 guys in a band, at least one tech per band member, 50 security(conservative estimate) 15 local crew, promoters anon. lets's say there's 100 ppl that your 75 dollar ticket needs to pay, that averages to 75 cents from your ticket going to each person involved in making a Pearl Jam show possible, just consider it as "tipping" everyone involved instead of assuming that Pearl Jam is trying to steal your money

On top of that you have the bands management that proabably takes anywhere from 10-20 percent. Plus you have to pay for the venue itself. Not to mention the band members yearly income tax. While the band does well they probably don't get anywhere close to the gross they make off of each concert.
  • Options
    over bendsover bends Posts: 1,568
    chromiam wrote:
    What Hanna Montana show charged $2000/ticket??? (as the face value)

None haha... it's probably cheaper than Pearl Jam face value. I'm just saying... crazy parents today.
    Yield!

3 Decibels Doubles the Volume

• Options
    voodoopugvoodoopug Posts: 1,011
    On top of that you have the bands management that proabably takes anywhere from 10-20 percent. Plus you have to pay for the venue itself. Not to mention the band members yearly income tax. While the band does well they probably don't get anywhere close to the gross they make off of each concert.

And with MSG on this schedule....I'd be surprised if the band will do much more than break even as that venue is head and shoulders above the others as far as rental fees go.
    There's Pearl Jam, The Rolling Stones, Chuck Berry, Robert Johnson......and then everybody else.
  • Options
    inmytree wrote:
    oh my, quite the correlation....are you saying PJ and Exxon are one in the same...?

anyhoo, in regards to gas prices, I to take issue with the manipulation of the supply, i.e., randomly shutting down refinery's to shorten supply, thus driving up gas prices....

The gas companies are not allowed to open new refineries, but that is not the point of the thread.

I just feel that with all they stood for in the past that they wouldnt charge "industry average" prices. I dont have a problem paying $70 for a ticket to a show but i never expected it from Pearl Jam.

All im saying is that they could probably earn a nice living charging a few bucks less for a show.
  • Options
    uglybabouglybabo Posts: 518
    digster wrote:
    I don't get what you're saying; you're proving my point, unless we somehow know that the Pearl Jam tickets are 77 dollars with all additional service charges attached. If that's not the case, and the 77 dollars is the base charge, then it is higher than the highest base charges for Radiohead (55 dollars) Dave Matthews Band (72-75 dollars), and Foo Fighters (45 dollars).

Like I was saying, Pearl Jam's prices are not astronomical; I was saying there were some bands of their stature that are keeping prices cheaper.

Tweeter Center in Boston:
    (these are base prices)

Pearl Jam - Reserved: $60; Lawn : $40

Dave Matthews - Reserved: $75; Uncovered Reserved: $65; Lawn: $40

DMB is $10-15 higher for the Pavillion and the same for the lawn.

And since these are Ticketmaster venues the Ten Club has to pay service charges as well, especially if they want to reserve at least 10% of the venue.
  • Options
    inmytreeinmytree Posts: 4,741
    The gas companies are not allowed to open new refineries, but that is not the point of the thread.

I just feel that with all they stood for in the past that they wouldnt charge "industry average" prices. I dont have a problem paying $70 for a ticket to a show but i never expected it from Pearl Jam.

All im saying is that they could probably earn a nice living charging a few bucks less for a show.

you're the one who brought Exxon in this, my friend...

and they do "shut down" the current refinery's for "maintenance", thus driving down supply, while demand stays the same, therefore prices go up...

look it up...

and how much is a "few bucks"...? is a "few bucks" 20...? 30....? how much should they charge for tickets? please tell me...
  • Options
    I imagine doing something when you're in your early twenties is less tiring and stressful than doing that same thing when you're in your forties.

So you are saying that because they are tired of touring, they can charge more? Wouldn't you say that is a pretty good example of Greed?

No one is saying that they don't have a right to charge this much.

It's just that over the last few years, prices are rising much steeper than in the early years and it is very hypocritical given this bands past.

They know that there fanbase is making more money and they are taking advantage of that. Somewhere along the line, they decided to alienate the younger fans or those with less money in order to target those who live a comfortable life. Look at everything we have seen in the past few years. Limited Edition posters, limited edition sweatshirts, limited edition books, socks...freaking SOCKS. Why is everything limited, because they can charge a higher price and the outcome is more money in their pockets.

They are obviously doing a very good job because we all buy everything right away but it's obvious that their views are not the same as they were 15 years ago.

You can justify it any way you want but the bottom line is that Pearl Jam is a buisness and, like any buisness, their goal is to make money.
    "Don't lose your inner heat...ever" - EV 5/13/06
  • Options

But if the industry average is going up, maybe PJ doesn't have a choice but to raise their prices. I mean think of it this way, if another band that is equal to PJ can sell out MSG at 90 bucks a seat, then the venue and all the support staff are going to know that. Just because PJ is charging less for their shows, doesn't mean that the venue, or the security company is going to say "well you are giving your fans a break so we are going to cut you a break to", thats crazy, the venue and the security and the truckers are going to charge PJ just as much as they charge U2 or The Stones. So they have similar overhead costs in many cases, but at the same time their revenue is lower.

And on a second note, so far in this thread no one has posted a price for what they thing is a fair value for tickets.
  • Options
    inmytree wrote:
    you're the one who brought Exxon in this, my friend...

and they do "shut down" the current refinery's for "maintenance", thus driving down supply, while demand stays the same, therefore prices go up...

look it up...

and how much is a "few bucks"...? is a "few bucks" 20...? 30....? how much should they charge for tickets? please tell me...

I dont really know how much they should charge for tickets, but i would guess that when they were touring in 1998 & 2000 that they did fairly well. So I would assume one would adjust those tickets prices for inflation, fuel, etc. & come up with a number. Im saying that the number they come up with would not be $70.
  • Options
    digsterdigster Posts: 1,293
    mwilmot4 wrote:
    Tweeter Center in Boston:
    (these are base prices)

Pearl Jam - Reserved: $60; Lawn : $40

Dave Matthews - Reserved: $75; Uncovered Reserved: $65; Lawn: $40

DMB is $10-15 higher for the Pavillion and the same for the lawn.

And since these are Ticketmaster venues the Ten Club has to pay service charges as well, especially if they want to reserve at least 10% of the venue.

Considering there are no Pearl Jam dates on Ticketmaster, I'm wondering where you are getting this number from. Is this the Ten Club number, and if so, are they with the service charges attached? Are there going to be any service charges, or is that the base price?

In short, where are you getting 60 dollars from? From everything I'd heard in this thread, the prices were 77. Maybe you can set me straight if this is wrong.
  • Options
    digster wrote:
    Considering there are no Pearl Jam dates on Ticketmaster, I'm wondering where you are getting this number from. Is this the Ten Club number, and if so, are they with the service charges attached? Are there going to be any service charges, or is that the base price?

In short, where are you getting 60 dollars from? From everything I'd heard in this thread, the prices were 77. Maybe you can set me straight if this is wrong.

Check Livenation, they had the dates listed earlier.
    "Don't lose your inner heat...ever" - EV 5/13/06
  • Options
    Having seen a lot of bands, I'd say that 115-125 dollars for a SINGLE seat in a lower section than upper deck level is worth it for PJ.

I've seen lesser acts for as much if not more, and much farther away from the stage.
  • Options
    I dont really know how much they should charge for tickets, but i would guess that when they were touring in 1998 & 2000 that they did fairly well. So I would assume one would adjust those tickets prices for inflation, fuel, etc. & come up with a number. Im saying that the number they come up with would not be $70.

$65......?

would you be ok with that number...?
  • Options
    uglybabouglybabo Posts: 518
    digster wrote:

Sorry, I should have put a link:

http://www.livenation.com/venue/getVenue/venueId/479

All I'm saying is that I think we're paying service charges with the Ten Club as well; I don't think Boston seats will be $120 a pair if Florida is $148.
  • Options
    hopethatuchokehopethatuchoke Posts: 2,930
    I imagine doing something when you're in your early twenties is less tiring and stressful than doing that same thing when you're in your forties.

So we should pay more for tickets because the band is older? hahaha We are all older as well. I don't think they qualify for the senior citizens discount just yet.
  • Options
    So you are saying that because they are tired of touring, they can charge more? Wouldn't you say that is a pretty good example of Greed?

No one is saying that they don't have a right to charge this much.

It's just that over the last few years, prices are rising much steeper than in the early years and it is very hypocritical given this bands past.

They know that there fanbase is making more money and they are taking advantage of that. Somewhere along the line, they decided to alienate the younger fans or those with less money in order to target those who live a comfortable life. Look at everything we have seen in the past few years. Limited Edition posters, limited edition sweatshirts, limited edition books, socks...freaking SOCKS. Why is everything limited, because they can charge a higher price and the outcome is more money in their pockets.

They are obviously doing a very good job because we all buy everything right away but it's obvious that their views are not the same as they were 15 years ago.

You can justify it any way you want but the bottom line is that Pearl Jam is a buisness and, like any buisness, their goal is to make money.

You asked, I told you. I didn't say they were tired of touring, but it is undeniable that touring takes a toll on a person, especially if you do it often. Considering PJ has been touring their whole career, something constantly for months and months at a time, I wouldn't be surprised if they have to invest in personal medical staff( not full blown doctors, but someone who can heal the aches and pains). And I know pj is a business. I know they want to make some cash. I don't understand why people expected their tickets to stay the same price over the course of many, many years.
  • Options
    So we should pay more for tickets because the band is older? hahaha We are all older as well. I don't think they qualify for the senior citizens discount just yet.

and neither do we....
  • Options
    digsterdigster Posts: 1,293
    Check Livenation, they had the dates listed earlier.

Tweeter Center does look to be for 60 dollars, which is a fair price to me. I think we should hold Pearl Jam to the standards we hold bands of their class and stature, like Radiohead.

Then where is 77 dollars coming from? Is Tweeter Center a fluke?
  • Options
    But if the industry average is going up, maybe PJ doesn't have a choice but to raise their prices. I mean think of it this way, if another band that is equal to PJ can sell out MSG at 90 bucks a seat, then the venue and all the support staff are going to know that. Just because PJ is charging less for their shows, doesn't mean that the venue, or the security company is going to say "well you are giving your fans a break so we are going to cut you a break to", thats crazy, the venue and the security and the truckers are going to charge PJ just as much as they charge U2 or The Stones. So they have similar overhead costs in many cases, but at the same time their revenue is lower.

And on a second note, so far in this thread no one has posted a price for what they thing is a fair value for tickets.

You bring up a very valid point. In all seriousness the ticket cost problem is not Pearl Jams fault. It starts at the top. Because why would MSG rent out the arena for 300,000 & then turn around and rent it for 150,000 you are going to pay the going rate.

I do have a question though: Why is it that arena bands charge more for tickets v. club shows? You would think that with the extra bodies in the seats it would cover the extra costs of the venue and still make a nice chunk of change.
  • Options
    chromiamchromiam Posts: 4,114
    You asked, I told you. I didn't say they were tired of touring, but it is undeniable that touring takes a toll on a person, especially if you do it often. Considering PJ has been touring their whole career, something constantly for months and months at a time, I wouldn't be surprised if they have to invest in personal medical staff( not full blown doctors, but someone who can heal the aches and pains). And I know pj is a business. I know they want to make some cash. I don't understand why people expected their tickets to stay the same price over the course of many, many years.

Actually, the venue pays for an oncall doctor for the time in which the band is in the city.... (if you read the band's old rider contract).
    This is your notice that there is a problem with your signature. Please remove it.

Admin

Social awareness does not equal political activism!

5/23/2011- An utter embarrassment... ticketing failures too many to list.
  • Options
    ||Release_Me||||Release_Me|| Posts: 1,871
    this is funny stuff. With every tour comes the same thread every time without fail.
    To be fair, none of us have any real insight into just how much the band has to pay in order to arrange a tour. We don't know who they have to pay, and how much they have to pay. Rental fees for MSG alone are apparently astronomical. Traveling costs are more because of fuel increses too.

I live in the UK, if i were to buy a pearl of 10c tickets for the West Palm Beach show, it'd cost me £75 for the pair. That's £37.50 per ticket. PER TICKET! That my friends, is a frickin' bargain! I could never complain about it.

We're all too stuck in our little PJ fan-bubble and forget that we're getting a great deal here. I want the band members to have money. They seem to love playing shows, but we have to remember that this is their job, and they have families to support. No, they're not poverty-stricken, but i doubt they're super rich either. I'd never begrudge them making money.

Although ticket prices will no doubt rise each year, i'd still be completely fine if they were charging £60 per ticket. For the show they put on and the memories they give me, it's so worth it.

edit - someone mentioned how its unreasonable to pay this much for tickets when they're hitting 5 or 6 shows. In that case, surely common sense kicks in and tells you to maybe not go to as many shows. You don't have to see that many. It's a mini-tour, just go to one or two. It sounds mean but it isn't; if you perhaps can't afford these prices then dont go to a show and hope that when the new album comes out you'll be in a better financial position to see the band live. People act as if seeing the band live is a life and death situation. I would KILL to see PJ in MSG, it's always been my dream. But i can't afford it. Life goes on.
    "This town deserves a better class of criminal... and I'm gonna give it to them."

• Options
    JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,449
    You bring up a very valid point. In all seriousness the ticket cost problem is not Pearl Jams fault. It starts at the top. Because why would MSG rent out the arena for 300,000 & then turn around and rent it for 150,000 you are going to pay the going rate.

I do have a question though: Why is it that arena bands charge more for tickets v. club shows? You would think that with the extra bodies in the seats it would cover the extra costs of the venue and still make a nice chunk of change.

Besides the obviously higher costs (insurance, crew, staff, etc), a band playing at a club has different goals.

PJ isn't playing shows to earn new fans..they are harvesting their success.

A band playing a club is doing so to get more exposure, so the lower the price, the more people will come, and hopefully, follow that band for years to come. Newer bands do not go on the road expectying to make real money.

Also, there is a much huger risk for an arena show.

If a club show draws poorly, the downside is maybe $5,000 at the most, however, if an arena show flops, the promoter can lose hundreds of thousands of dollars.

Bigger risk demands bigger reward.
  • Options

How is that any different from what we do everyday. I have been in the work force for 15 years and if i have an ailment it comes out of my cut I unfortunately dont get to pass the buck.

So are you saying that they have a harder & more stressful job than most of us?
  • Options
    this is funny stuff. With every tour comes the same thread every time without fail.
    To be fair, none of us have any real insight into just how much the band has to pay in order to arrange a tour. We don't know who they have to pay, and how much they have to pay.

This is what bugs me when people complain about ticket prices. You always hear people say how they could probably charge less and still make money. But no one ever says how much less and since we don't have access to the company's books we have no idea how much profit they make on a tour.
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,449
    How is that any different from what we do everyday. I have been in the work force for 15 years and if i have an ailment it comes out of my cut I unfortunately dont get to pass the buck.

If the band ever reads these message boards, their job must be much morestressful!
  • Options
    This is what bugs me when people complain about ticket prices. You always hear people say how they could probably charge less and still make money. But no one ever says how much less and since we don't have access to the company's books we have no idea how much profit they make on a tour.

Exactly. Nobody here works for PJ, so we don't know how much money they have to pay out every time they tour. But people just assume that the band could definitely afford to charge less. Ridiculous.
    "This town deserves a better class of criminal... and I'm gonna give it to them."

• Options
    Thanks to lowbudgetlush for this link I'm about to post, that apparently everyone conveniently skipped over when it was published on page 4.

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/backstagetour/jampearl/pearl_jam_1.html

Assuming this is not fallacious and has remained somewhat consistent since the Riot Act tour, I have a difficult time feigning sympathy for these inane ticket prices. Six pages of bullshit rock star excess demands, all the way from the furniture they require in their dressing room right down to the kind of fruit they expect to have on their banquet tables and the ratio of Heineken to local beer they expect in their coolers. How does the song go again? "G-R-E-E-D, G-R....."
  • Options

Is that a joke? They might enjoy playing to thousands of adoring fans, but i imagine being on the road constantly for months and often going for weeks without seeing your family is much more stressful than what we deal with. Not to mention the toll on Ed's throat after singing for over 2 hours for 70+ shows each tour!

• Options
    not bad
    Some people have religion I have Pearl Jam.

no more shows