Options

Ticket prices are consistant and fair.

Comments

• Options
    ||Release_Me||||Release_Me|| Posts: 1,871
    So he couldn't afford to fly her down? If it was that big a deal then he could have scheduled the tour around it. He had the power to do that where as someone having to work triple OT (which someone mentioned above) has no choice. That was such a great post by the way Ledbetterman. Great point.

Once again, nobody has any idea what the circumstances where. I imagine that if she could've been there, she would have been.

God, people on here are so quick to make assumptions and state things as if they're FACT, when we have absolutely no idea what goes on in situations like this.

I swear, i think some fans are actually incapable of just shutting up and enjoying themselves. Are you all scared of just having a good time? I have trust in this band, and i don't imagine they'll ever be charging Rolling Stones or U2 or Clapton prices. They'll go up, but they'll never be astronomical.

Enjoy life for once, you guys make it out to be the end of the world.
    "This town deserves a better class of criminal... and I'm gonna give it to them."

• Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,786
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:
    And your response could have had proper capitalization/punctuation!
    :)

*in my best Cartman voice*

"Super weak you guys"
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,451
    Once again, nobody has any idea what the circumstances where. I imagine that if she could've been there, she would have been.

God, people on here are so quick to make assumptions and state things as if they're FACT, when we have absolutely no idea what goes on in situations like this.

I swear, i think some fans are actually incapable of just shutting up and enjoying themselves. Are you all scared of just having a good time? I have trust in this band, and i don't imagine they'll ever be charging Rolling Stones or U2 or Clapton prices. They'll go up, but they'll never be astronomical.

Enjoy life for once, you guys make it out to be the end of the world.

So, is PJ suppposed to play a benefit for the bloke so he doesn't have to work a triple-shift?

I am sooooo confused!
  • Options
    pjalive21pjalive21 St. Louis, MO Posts: 2,818
    We were planning a wedding too, for Sept, but Ed announced his solo tour, we scored tix and decided to elope in Vancouver right before the 1st show:)

now that is a great story!

10C should put that up on the front page :)
  • Options
    pjalive21 wrote:
    now that is a great story!

10C should put that up on the front page :)

who knows, lol. Except that then other ppl would do it then it would be expected, and then up for review and rating on the board
    "So forget the other boys because my love is real.
    Come off your battlefield."
  • Options
    UrohawkUrohawk Posts: 77
    I don't want to sound like all the other wannabe economics professors around here.....but again, it's supply and demand. therefore, you SHOULD be charged that much because you'll pay that much. and if you won't pay that much, someone else definitely will.

Well that is if profit is a primary motivator. If the band wants to make themselves accessible then they charge less. There was a great piece on Mad Money with Jim Kramer about a gallon of milk and a gallon of gas. What one do you think costs more to produce and which one is more valuable?

Well, milk is sold for less, is more expensive to produce, and arguably less useful than a gallon of gas. The point is that supply and demand doesn't always determine market value.

I am sure PJ could get more money especially in popular venues like MSG. That would be fine if they have never took a stand on ticket pricing, making shows accessible to young people, etc.
    "pearl jam tickets $150 a pair.....
    the pearl jam coloring book....$200
    multi-millionaires singing a song telling me...
    the gas in their tanks...is like money in the bank
    PRICELESS!!!!!!" -SpeedyMcCready...You may be banned but the message lives on!
  • Options
    I have trust in this band, and i don't imagine they'll ever be charging Rolling Stones or U2 or Clapton prices. They'll go up, but they'll never be astronomical.

That's because their music relevance has fallen off the wagon. No one cares anymore. PJ is quickly becoming the touring Poison or Motely Crue of the 90s albeit much more talented and artful. You have to have more than 1 or 2 popular albums to be the Stones, U2, or Clapton.
  • Options
    Urohawk wrote:
    Well that is if profit is a primary motivator. If the band wants to make themselves accessible then they charge less. There was a great piece on Mad Money with Jim Kramer about a gallon of milk and a gallon of gas. What one do you think costs more to produce and which one is more valuable?

Well, milk is sold for less, is more expensive to produce, and arguably less useful than a gallon of gas. The point is that supply and demand doesn't always determine market value.

I am sure PJ could get more money especially in popular venues like MSG. That would be fine if they have never took a stand on ticket pricing, making shows accessible to young people, etc.

I think that profit is the primary motivator.

and you're right that supply and demand doesn't ALWAYS determine the market value. and your gas/milk example is a good one. but in the case of PJ, I think it very much is the case. I bet they'd like to charge over $100 but then you wouldn't even be able to recognize them as Pearl Jam.....a band for the fans.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    I think that profit is the primary motivator.

I bet they'd like to charge over $100 but then you wouldn't even be able to recognize them as Pearl Jam.....a band for the fans.

Of course money is a motivator. The question is do they try to push the envelope enough that they still seem like a band for the fans? I don't know the answer.

Again, I think their ticket prices are fair but they are no longer a band for the people in my mind. Their political talk of money in lyrics and song rings more and more hollow as time goes on.
  • Options
    SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 24,920
    Urohawk wrote:
    Of course money is a motivator. The question is do they try to push the envelope enough that they still seem like a band for the fans? I don't know the answer.

Again, I think their ticket prices are fair but they are no longer a band for the people in my mind. Their political talk of money in lyrics and song rings more and more hollow as time goes on.
    pearl jam tickets $150 a pair.....

"the gas in their tanks...
    is like money in the bank????"

PRICELESS!!!!!!
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Options
    pearl jam tickets $150 a pair.....

"the gas in their tanks...
    is like money in the bank????"

PRICELESS!!!!!!

Can I sig you?
  • Options
    Urohawk wrote:
    Can I sig you?

you guys want to get a hotel room for that sort of thing? This is a message board.
  • Options
    I wasn't using it necessarily as justification for higher ticket prices. Someone claimed that our jobs are more stressful than the band's, and i just happen to disagree. Sure, his daughter and girlfriend went to shows, but they didn't go to all of them. On one of the Brisbane '06 bootlegs, Ed mentions that he feels bad because it's Jill's birthday and he's not with her. I imagine that must be a horrible feeling.
    We all have idealised notions of the glamour of being in a band and touring the world. Sure, i bet parts of it are awesome. But the strain on a person's health must be harsh, and the constant travaling would be so tiring.

I guess i just dont understand how it can be stressfull. Last year Im in London for the Pearl Jam show, who do i run into but Mr. McCready. The guy is visiting famous land marks by day and playing a sold out wembly at night. Im sorry but i dont buy that it is stressful touring the world.
  • Options
    SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 24,920
    Urohawk wrote:
    Can I sig you?
    hehehehehe.....go right ahead...
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Options
    Urohawk wrote:

try to push the envelope? I think it's been pushed. I have my ticket from the 2003 State College show and it says $37.00.

$37 in 2003
    $70+ in 2008

people are arguing that the American dollar has lost value and while that's correct, it didn't lose that much value over the past 5 years.

personally, I think that Pearl Jam thinks that a lot of their usual concert attendees will think that the prices went up because of inflation and nothing else. as if some of us can't notice.

I think a Pearl Jam show is worth $70 and I'll pay it without complaints. but I know I'm paying more now because of how little I payed on the Yield and Binaural tours

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    At least they make it possible to not go through Ticketmaster at all, what other bands do that?

True, but we pay the same price.
  • Options
    Urohawk wrote:

Right On!
  • Options
    Kel VarnsenKel Varnsen Posts: 1,951
    Urohawk wrote:

I learned about this in high school. The reason milk is sold for cheap is so that grocery stores can get you in the store, then they sell you all the stuff with all the higher profit margins. It is part of the reason that the milk refrigerators are at the back of the store, so that to get to the cheap milk you have to walk by all the really expensive stuff. If you wanted to use pearl jam for this example they could drop their ticket prices but then saturate the stadiums with merch booths selling cheaply made highly priced stuff.
    I guess i just dont understand how it can be stressfull. Last year Im in London for the Pearl Jam show, who do i run into but Mr. McCready. The guy is visiting famous land marks by day and playing a sold out wembly at night. Im sorry but i dont buy that it is stressful touring the world.

I am sure there is some stress there. I mean how many employees do you think the band has? Everyone of them is depending on the band to sell out the show so that they can get money. If the band stops selling out shows how many people lose their jobs? It is not the most stressful job in the world for sure. But then again with my job I would have to fuck up immensely for it to cost anyone else their job. The band has a bad couple of concerts and it could put a bunch of people out of work.
  • Options
    Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,560
    try to push the envelope? I think it's been pushed. I have my ticket from the 2003 State College show and it says $37.00.

$37 in 2003
    $70+ in 2008

people are arguing that the American dollar has lost value and while that's correct, it didn't lose that much value over the past 5 years.

personally, I think that Pearl Jam thinks that a lot of their usual concert attendees will think that the prices went up because of inflation and nothing else. as if some of us can't notice.

I think a Pearl Jam show is worth $70 and I'll pay it without complaints. but I know I'm paying more now because of how little I payed on the Yield and Binaural tours

Gas prices were $1.50-$1.70 in 2003.

Gas prices now, are $3.50 and could hit $4.00 by June.
    Turn this anger into
    Nuclear fission
  • Options
    Thierry HenryThierry Henry Posts: 2,654
    Are prices going to vary this tour??

I paid $152.75- Dublin 2006
    $99.10 - Lisbon 2006
    $181.00 - Wembley 2007
    $90.00 - Poland 2007
    All pairs from 10C!!

Anyway, Im trying for MSG this time around.
    God knows what thats going to cost.

But, I don't care as long as Im there!!
    Dublin '96, '00, '06, '10
    Lisbon '06 (x2)
    Katowice '07
    London '07 '09 (x2), '10
    MSG NY '08 (x2)
    Manchester '09 '12
    Belfast '10
    PJ20 Alpine '11 (x2)
    Leeds '14
  • Options
    AmentsChickAmentsChick Posts: 6,969
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:
    And your response could have had proper capitalization/punctuation!

HA! You sound like me, JOE...I thought I was the spelling/grammar police. :D
    This is the greatest band in the world -- Ben Harper

• Options
    Vedd Hedd wrote:

a lot of that has to do with the war in Iraq making it harder to get our oil from the middle east...which was W's whole reason for going to war in the first place. he's so dumb.

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    Vedd Hedd wrote:

Gas prices were 3.10 in 2006 & tickets were $50. So as far as im concerned the gas prices do not factor into the ticket increase.
  • Options
    not only are the prices consistEnt and fair

but it helps the economy overall

airfaire
    hotel
    car rental
    doggie hotel
    restaurant
    gas
    pain relievers

and so on
  • Options
    Gas prices were 3.10 in 2006 & tickets were $50. So as far as im concerned the gas prices do not factor into the ticket increase.

Um...don't the band members, as well as crew, travel via bus?? Not to mention all the equipment that needs to be transported.

• Options
    Um...don't the band members, as well as crew travel via bus?? Not to mention all the equipment that needs to be transported.

They fly nowadays & have since at least 2000 I believe.

Also i was just commenting on what they said about the price of gas. Also even if they traveled by bus it would be the same as 2006 so it wouldnt make a difference.
  • Options
    what exactly is bothering you about the tix?

too expensive? don't buy tix

songs lost their meaning to you? don't listen OR better yet write your own songs.

Is it maybe that you put too much faith into a band?

Urohawk wrote:

• Options
    tschavtschav Posts: 2,800

$37 in 2003
    $70+ in 2008

Based on my ticket stubs and 10c orders:

2003: $40 face on ticket, order total was $101
    2006: $51 face on ticket, order total was $112
    2008: most likely $60 face, service fees driving it up to $150

We got lucky on previous tours, but buy tickets for ANY event on Ticketmaster and you'll see that they gouge you for anything possible.

Example (STP at Camden):
    $49.50 face for Lawn Seat
    $10.20 Convenience Charge
    $5.15 Order Processing Fee
    $64.85, that's $15 in service fees!

It's not the band, it's the ticketbastard grabbing more money.
  • Options
    They fly nowadays & have since at least 2000 I believe.

No, that's not true at all.

• Options
    pjalive21pjalive21 St. Louis, MO Posts: 2,818
    bottom line is this we are now paying for the good deeds done to us in the past when it came to ticket prices and its only going to get worse to make up for lost time