Your opinion about Immigration.

Comments

• __ Posts: 6,651
    scb wrote:
    ENGLISH LESSON FOR TODAY: "Illegal" is an adjective, not a noun.

If you're going to live in our country, please show some respect and learn the language.
    exactly...when did "illegals" become a common plural noun??? probably about the same time "nuclear" became "nukuler"...

I think its use as a noun is (or at least was originally) meant to dehumanize the people to whom it refers.
  • KatKat There's a lot to be said for nowhere. Posts: 4,769
    I always think of the view from the space shuttles and the moon and how when you look at our beautiful planet from that perspective, there are no lines drawn in the soil.

That's all...just a thought I have often lately.

signed,
    Citizen of Earth
    (who wishes there was time to join the discussion further. x)
    Falling down,...not staying down
  • memememe Posts: 4,693
    Kat wrote:
    I always think of the view from the space shuttles and the moon and how when you look at our beautiful planet from that perspective, there are no lines drawn in the soil.

signed,
    Citizen of Earth

Oh, when I saw the name of the last poster I thought the thread had degenerated and was going to be closed. But no, she comes in peace!

I think we need to acknowledge that citizenship in certain countries nowadays is a privilege, and we have little to offer as justification for keeping it all to ourselves.
    ... and the will to show I will always be better than before.
  • know1know1 Posts: 6,762
    Kat wrote:

signed,
    Citizen of Earth

Yep - that's what I said earlier. People are people. They should be able to go and live and work and join society wherever they choose with a minimum of hassle.
    The only people we should try to get even with...
    ...are those who've helped us.

Right 'round the corner could be bigger than ourselves.
  • ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    Kat wrote:

signed,
    Citizen of Earth

Exactly.

As Bill Hicks pointed out, the world is round.
  • arqarq Posts: 7,935
    Kat wrote:

signed,
    Citizen of Earth
    From this distant vantage point, the Earth might not seem of particular interest. But for us, it's different. Consider again that dot. That's here, that's home, that's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there – on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam.

Carl Sagan

That little thing there is the Earth
    bluedot.jpg
    "The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it"
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

Why not (V) (°,,,,°) (V) ?
  • Dirtie_FrankDirtie_Frank Posts: 1,348
    scb wrote:

If you're going to live in our country, please show some respect and learn the language.

That goes for the illegal aliens to right? :roll:
    96 Randall's Island II
    98 CAA
    00 Virginia Beach;Camden I; Jones Beach III
    05 Borgata Night I; Wachovia Center
    06 Letterman Show; Webcast (guy in blue shirt), Camden I; DC
    08 Camden I; Camden II; DC
    09 Phillie III
    10 MSG II
    13 Wrigley Field
    16 Phillie II
  • Eliot RosewaterEliot Rosewater Posts: 2,684
    Kat wrote:

signed,
    Citizen of Earth
    Amen, sister.
  • acoustic guyacoustic guy Posts: 3,770
    Kat wrote:

signed,
    Citizen of Earth
    If only it was that simple......
    Get em a Body Bag Yeeeeeaaaaa!
    Sweep the Leg Johnny.
  • Eliot RosewaterEliot Rosewater Posts: 2,684
    Kat wrote:

signed,
    Citizen of Earth
    It certainly can be that simple.
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,136
    Kat wrote:

signed,
    Citizen of Earth
    true that ,but u know what?we can all be ok and live happy..im not giving up..ill try to do my best from my spot
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
    Kat wrote:

signed,
    Citizen of Earth

It is that simple. It's a choice you can make. It's called evolution. I mean it's not as if a country or a flag is a real, tangible thing anyway. They're just ideas in your head. We just need to move beyond these abstract notions and see the bigger picture. The poor black farmer in Africa is no less your brother than the accountant living next door. We all share the same planet, and we all have a very limited time on this Earth to do so.
    Byrnzie wrote:
    ...It is that simple. It's a choice you can make. It's called evolution...
    A journey of a thousand miles starts with one step...
    "The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it"
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

• redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    edited May 2010
    Byrnzie wrote:
    It is that simple. It's a choice you can make. It's called evolution. I mean it's not as if a country or a flag is a real, tangible thing anyway. They're just ideas in your head. We just need to move beyond these abstract notions and see the bigger picture. The poor black farmer in Africa is no less your brother than the accountant living next door. We all share the same planet, and we all have a very limited time on this Earth to do so.

My family is 'multi-national' (very!), I have lived and worked in various countries and all I can say is that think it may be easier for those who have travelled a lot and lived outside their 'home' country to understand this. Blinkers are then removed and one can really see that all these borders are 'artificial'. We all aspire to the same things: happiness, health, a good life. We have no right to tell someone they cannot hope to achieve this because they are not doing it in what is deemed their homeland. Free movement made us, enriched us - why this need to curtail it?
    Post edited by redrock on
    redrock wrote:
    ...it may be easier for those who have traveled a lot and lived outside their 'home' country to understand this. Blinkers are then removed and one can really see that all these borders are 'artificial'.?...

Couldn't agree more, you have to step outside your "comfort zone" (country), once you live outside your country you begin to appreciate more your own country but at the same time you start to see what's wrong with those believe we hang on to for too long, they start to appear somehow silly, also you start to see the people for what they are (human beings) not for where they come from.
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

• people are always gonna see their immediate family and friends as most important, and the level of indifference radiating out from there. when there are ten billion peolpe crawling around on Erath in 50 years, thats only gonna get stronger.
  • cajunkiwicajunkiwi Posts: 984
    scb wrote:

That goes for the illegal aliens to right? :roll:

It most definitely goes for people who don't know the to/too/two rule who think they can pass judgment on another person's language skills.
    And I listen for the voice inside my head... nothing. I'll do this one myself.
    battan1120 wrote:
    Illegal immigrants will soon be known as undocumented democrats

That would aaaaaaaaaaaaalmost be humorous if it wasn't for the fact that Obama is deporting more illegal immigrants from Mexico than Bush did.
    well without immigration i wouldnt be living in australia.... so im all for it.
    So how did you come to live there?
    Do you have a Green Card? Is it the same process to live there then here?

Is it as easy to get into Oz as it is to get into NZ? If you are young and have a college degree, we'll do everything short of pay your mortgage for you lol I'm all for immigration too, as long as the person is contributing to society - and as far as I'm concerned, a guy mowing lawns or building a house is contributing just as much as a CEO (possibly moreso - landscapers don't run ponzi schemes).

Without going into too much detail again, it's bloody damn near impossible to get into America legally - the whole system is set up to keep people out. USCIS makes rules on a whim and then doesn't follow them, they charge an arm and a leg for the most mundane things - and then make you repeat the mundane things at every step of the way (and charge you anew each time).

I have a hunch, just my gut feeling, that if more Americans knew just what you had to go through to get into this country legally, then they wouldn't take such a harsh view of the people who come in illegally.
    cajunkiwi wrote:
    Is it as easy to get into Oz as it is to get into NZ? If you are young and have a college degree, we'll do everything short of pay your mortgage for you lol ...

Well well NZ sounds interesting!!! Pearl Jam still tours around that area, my best friend live in australia and my brother in law too... Still the USA is a my second home now.

I love this country but you're right I've paid almost $20,000 on immigration and 6 years of my life and I'm not even a resident :cry: I'm just a legal alien but with no rights or benefits, plus i pay taxes and i invest a in this country since i arrived I've been traveling to see PJ and Ed here in the USA so that should count as an investment, does it?
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

Kat wrote:

signed,
    Citizen of Earth

The way I see it, personally, is that too many people see themselves as Citizens of Earth last. They see themselves in terms of their family, their neighborhood, their city, their state, their country, their continent, and then their planet.

I've traveled to a lot of different places in this world, and the one thing that's stood out to me is that, ultimately, we're all the same. We all bleed red, we all have the same basic needs (except for nudists who skip the "clothing" step), and everyone outside of New Zealand thinks Marmite tastes horrible (and you're all WRONG!)

But at some point, some people decided that the little variances, the things that make us different, are bad. You may bleed red, but if your eyes are slanted then you're untrustworthy. You may need food to survive, but if your skin is too dark then you're probably not smart enough to get it for yourself. If you don't speak the same language as me, then I don't want you anywhere near me.

Racism is a messed up combination of arrogance and fear - the arrogance to think that your way of life is the "right" one, and the fear that you might have to tweak your way of life to accommodate someone else's at some point.

And on that note, the next time I'm back in New Zealand I think I'm going to build a huge sign outside Auckland airport that says "IF YOU CAN'T SPELL COLOUR AND METRE CORRECTLY THEN YOU'RE NOT WELCOME HERE." I can't stand these primitives who aren't advanced enough to figure out the metric system :lol:
    arq wrote:
    cajunkiwi wrote:
    Is it as easy to get into Oz as it is to get into NZ? If you are young and have a college degree, we'll do everything short of pay your mortgage for you lol ...

Well well NZ sounds interesting!!! Pearl Jam still tours around that area, my best friend live in australia and my brother in law too... Still the USA is a my second home now.

I love this country but you're right I've paid almost $20,000 on immigration and 6 years of my life and I'm not even a resident :cry: I'm just a legal alien but with no rights or benefits, plus i pay taxes and i invest a in this country since i arrived I've been traveling to see PJ and Ed here in the USA so that should count as an investment, does it?

Take that up with USCIS - maybe they'll give you a PJ-related discount :lol:

For me it's three years and several thousand dollars and counting, and I only just recently became a resident - and I got in the "easy" way, by marrying an American.
  • MoonTurtleMoonTurtle Posts: 750
    what r u guys paying for?

cajunkiwi wrote:
    arq wrote:
    cajunkiwi wrote:

Take that up with USCIS - maybe they'll give you a PJ-related discount :lol:

For me it's three years and several thousand dollars and counting, and I only just recently became a resident - and I got in the "easy" way, by marrying an American.
  • this is off topic maybe, but can legal residents still be deported? my next door neighbor is a dog racist (or anti-dog-ite) and i need to have her removed. i think she is from Austria or something.
    MrSmith wrote:
    this is off topic maybe, but can legal residents still be deported? my next door neighbor is a dog racist (or anti-dog-ite) and i need to have her removed. i think she is from Austria or something.

Yes they can be deported, only citizens can't be kicked out of the country :geek:
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

• arq wrote:
    MrSmith wrote:
    this is off topic maybe, but can legal residents still be deported? my next door neighbor is a dog racist (or anti-dog-ite) and i need to have her removed. i think she is from Austria or something.

Yes they can be deported, only citizens can't be kicked out of the country :geek:
    oh i meant citizen. thats good that they cant, but bad for my dog!
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,382
    even though I live in a hotbed of illegal aliens, it's not really a burning issue with me. but, in the end, if you don't want them here, quit giving them work. some of the loudest opposition comes from the same people who employ them..........pouring their concrete, mowing their yards, cleaning their houses, etc. :problem:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    MrSmith wrote:

'Dogist'?
  • CorsoCorso so poor I can't afford to comment on the PJ forum Posts: 201
    edited May 2010
    Is it as easy to get into Oz as it is to get into NZ? If you are young and have a college degree, we'll do everything short of pay your mortgage for you lol I'm all for immigration too, as long as the person is contributing to society

interesting....
    Post edited by Corso on
  • SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,517
    Byrnzie wrote:
    Kat wrote:

signed,
    Citizen of Earth

I talked to a guy recently, ex military man, and he said my life is more important than others since I am American. We live in Hong Kong so I pointed to the table next to us and said if given the choice you would kill all 10 of those people for me. Answer, "yes"

He took it farther and said he would kill 100,000 non Americans for me.

I was stunned. I would kill myself before that.

Absolutely amazing that being born somewhere would make you more important than another human born somewhere else....