Options

$162/pair for EV?

123457»

Comments

• Options
    florence151florence151 Posts: 597
    Saw EV in Milwaukee. Wonderful show and great time. Glad we spent the money. If you haven't seen him solo I think now is your chance.

We will not attend any of EV's upcoming shows. We are going to wait for the band to tour.
    Hold On
  • Options
    VINNY GOOMBAVINNY GOOMBA Posts: 1,803
    He's just doing his patriotic duty and trying to help the economy! I don't know if you've heard, but spending is good-- very good... Don't blame Eddie, he's just trying to help the only way he knows how ;)

Won't be seeing EV for this much money myself. I've got no problem with anyone trying to make a buck, and I don't know what the bottomline is for Eddie's shows-- but I do know that it would seem that the Eddie from 10 years ago (and before) might have probably frowned upon this. Unless it was all a gimmick, you know, being fan friendly, anti-establishment, etc... Eh, maybe that's an unfair charge to make against the guy. Could also be that all of Eddie's heroes have songs in commercials, and charge ridiculous ticket prices these days also: "If you hate something, don't ya do it too?"

Hope everyone who goes enjoys it, and gets their money's worth-- no matter what the guy charges, he always tries to deliver all that he's got.
  • Options
    McNairnMcNairn Posts: 284
    Please please please stop complaining about ticket prices and cities on or off the tour etc.
    I am driving from Toronto to Albany (If I get tickets)
    $80 for a small venue show service charges included is not overpriced
    The motivation of the tour is not to squeeze all the loyal fans dry with ticket prices and not to schedule cities where the fans would like Ed or the band to play.
    I don't expect Eddie Vedder to pull off a tour like this living out of a bus, not paying his employees, not paying for fuel, transportation, Ten Club staff, promotion, whatever the venue takes, ticket distribution fees etc.
    COME ON for shites sake!
    If he is not playing in your city, state, province or country, then walk, bike, fly, hitchkike, swim, or crawl your way to the nearest venue.
    If you want to see a $22.50 show, don't expect it to be the worlds best singer in all of history.
    Has Ed suddenly turned into a greedy bastard?
    I don't friggin think so. It is just what things cost so get over it!
    **** note **** if you fill a stadium with 20,000 people and make $20 profit from each ticket as in a Pearl Jam show, how much does Ed make in a 3000 seat auditorium at $10 profit per ticket (after paying venue, staff, etc.) - A: $400,000 ( divided by 5.5 Pearl Jam band members) vs: $30,000 for an EV show.

HMMM ticket prices higher for Eddie Vedder but
    profit is 1/3 of a PJ show.
    I would not say that is a rip off.
  • Options
    Sharon_Hearts_PJSharon_Hearts_PJ Bristol, PA Posts: 1,383
    edited April 2009
    mhterrapin wrote:
    In their minds they'll sell an $80 ticket to enough people to make it a sell-out show, even if a bunch of people are left out due to financial issues. But the thing that gets me is it has gotten to the point where the the connection with some of the music is fading. I was fortunate enough to see him in Chicago last time around and even then hearing him sing "Drifting" and "Society" was hard to swallow knowing how much I paid to be sitting there. Not to mention much of the underlying theme of "Into the Wild". That may sound stupid but I think it's really important to preserve the integrity of the music in every way.

If you're sitting at the show and all you can think about is how much money you spent to be there, instead of listening to and enjoying the music, you obviously should never have gone. And I'm totally unclear on your beef with Into the Wild...preserve integrity? Underlying theme? What are you talking about?

Furthermore, I don't get the lack of logic with you people.
    This is how the world works. You may not like it, but to sit and bitch and moan because YOU can't afford to go while others can...that's just pathetic. You're entitled to voice opinions, but some of you take it way too far: criticizing the man for touring, dictating how it should be done, comparing prices to any other year but the one in which we currently live....JUST LIVE! Stop dwelling on the negative!
    Post edited by Sharon_Hearts_PJ on
    *Rock and/or Roll!*
  • Options

SUCKER!!! :lol:

Kidding...if you want to pay that price, that is awesome.

As I stated before, I wasn't complaining about the prices in the thread, just showing the increase from last year.

I would never pay $350 for Pearl Jam. I love the band, but I guess not as much as you soupy.

Also, to the people saying that if you can't afford it/are in a hard financial situation, that a concert shouldn't be a priority, I don't think that is the point. These people aren't saying it IS a priority, they are just commenting on the fact that they can't afford tickets. It IS funny to read some of the posts on here though.

I know I personally don't go to as many concerts as I used to. The price goes up as the years go on, so I am certainly more selective about what I see. There are just more important things to me.

Anyway...everyone's financial situation situation is different. I don't think people should give someone a hard time if they post that they can't afford the tickets/will be skipping the shows because of the prices. :roll:

I think the majority of the "hard time" being given is to those who feel entitled to a cheaper ticket. People who expect the prices to be lower so THEY can afford them. Trust me, go back and read. You will find that a LOT in this thread.
    "I can't afford these tickets, plus transportation, plus lodging."
    Honestly, if tickets were $10 or $20 cheaper, you'd STILL have to pay for transportation and lodging. Does $10-20 really matter at that point? Seriously?
    *Rock and/or Roll!*
  • Options
    I don't like bringing up the price comparison too much but you can see U2 AND Muse from the GA field with an amazing stage setup for $55. There is no reason why Eddie Vedder should be significantly more than that. As I also said previously, he doesn't even have a backing band to pay. Probaby has to buy a new case of Corona for his kick drum every couple shows though. That's prob why tix are so high.
    You're comparing GIGANTIC stadium venues, and their nosebleed seats, to a 3200 fucking seat theater? Seriously???
    Did you notice that you can also see U2 for $250 at those same venues? THOSE are the seats worth comparing, by the way. The closest few thousand to the stage.

What the hell is wrong with you people?? I'm absolutely amazed by the stupidity going on here.
    We're brown-nosers? You're all delusional! Get a freaking grip on reality! Holy mother of God.
    *Rock and/or Roll!*
  • Options
    If he was coming to Seattle i would pay the money but... 81$ a piece is ridiculous from the guy would fought with ticketmaster all those years about ticket prices and on top of that the ten deluxe box 140$. In this economy
    you'd think he would try to give his fans a little more of a break on the wallet.
    And yet another one, stuck in 1996. HE'S NOT OUT TO GET YOU! We just all live in post-GWB 2009 now, and we're dealing with a collapsed economy. Nothing is stable, nothing is cheap, and it's all pretty damn broken. How is he supposed to give his fans a "break?" Do you want him to volunteer his time on stage? Pay for his own airfare?
    What the fuck do you people expect??
    *Rock and/or Roll!*
  • Options
    And this concludes my rant/attack on all of the Negative Nancies of the thread. I realize I could come across as hypocritical, bitching about the bitchers, and for that I apologize. But reading through this thread nearly made my head explode! And I truly cannot wait for it to happen all over again in the Fall, when the band announces a full tour, for close to - if not the same - prices as this. I must begin mental preparation now!
    *Rock and/or Roll!*
  • Options
    McJuicyMcJuicy Posts: 747
    And this concludes my rant/attack on all of the Negative Nancies of the thread. I realize I could come across as hypocritical, bitching about the bitchers, and for that I apologize. But reading through this thread nearly made my head explode! And I truly cannot wait for it to happen all over again in the Fall, when the band announces a full tour, for close to - if not the same - prices as this. I must begin mental preparation now!

haha, great point, let me be the first to bitch about ticket prices for the upcoming tour...

"i can't believe these greedy bastards are charging $90 per ticket, the nerve! i remember when tickets were $25 each, and now pearl jam just takes advantage of its fans, they've really sold out!"
    buf dtw buf sce yyz tol grr yhm yyz pit yyz yyz pit bna cae aus lax lax san phl phl cle buf mke mke atl pit buf clt san lax lax gsp cae bna sea sea
  • Options
    Not everyone here is discussing this because they can't afford it. It's just a forum for discussion so there's no reason to be surprised that amongst a massive fan base there are various opinions. Voicing our opinions is the point of a forum. That being said just because people don't agree on ticket prices doesn't make half of them right and the other half stupid.
  • Options
    I think there are certain facts that are facts and if you dissagree with them you are wrong
    Eddie couldn't pull off this tour for any cheaper than this.
    That's just the way it is.
  • Options
    mhterrapin wrote:
    Not everyone here is discussing this because they can't afford it.
    Which is why I stated "a lot" and not "everyone" in my initial ranting post. :) I'm certainly not talking about everyone, but based on my specific attacks (I will fully admit they are just that), people should know who I'm directing them at.
    Anyway, I am fully aware that everyone's entitled to opinion. I stated that as well. But some here are just so passionate in their beliefs that they are being ripped off, that they're not even willing to consider that it's not about them individually. All I ever try to do is play devil's advocate and get others to realize they need to think outside the box (a.k.a., their sheltered lives).
    *Rock and/or Roll!*
  • Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,942
    mhterrapin wrote:
    Not everyone here is discussing this because they can't afford it.
    Which is why I stated "a lot" and not "everyone" in my initial ranting post. :) I'm certainly not talking about everyone, but based on my specific attacks (I will fully admit they are just that), people should know who I'm directing them at.
    Anyway, I am fully aware that everyone's entitled to opinion. I stated that as well. But some here are just so passionate in their beliefs that they are being ripped off, that they're not even willing to consider that it's not about them individually. All I ever try to do is play devil's advocate and get others to realize they need to think outside the box (a.k.a., their sheltered lives).
    My thinking is that everyone's entitled to make a profit - if no one was trying to make a profit, would capitalism even work? There's a very easy way to find out whether Eddie's tour is at the right price. Simply put, if all seats are full, the price is right.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    FahkaFahka Posts: 3,187
    edited April 2009
    doesn't matter any way.....
    Post edited by Fahka on
  • Options
    I would happily pay twice this amount for ten club tickets to one of these shows... The ten club hooked me up with incredible seats in Santa Cruz and it was one of the best experiences of my life...
  • Options
    FahkaFahka Posts: 3,187
    edited April 2009
    McNairn wrote:
    I think there are certain facts that are facts and if you dissagree with them you are wrong

please do elaborate, i'd like to know the facts.. i would love to see some pie charts :mrgreen: while eating pie preferably
    Post edited by Fahka on
  • Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,942
    McNairn wrote:
    Where is this breakdown of costs? The only ones I've seen on this thread have been, essentially, made up.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    I dont know the numbers
    It's all a guess
    but you can rough it out and give or take and get a good idea of how much money is involved
    My guess is that the aim would be 10% profit for ED over and above all expenses.
    Whether you cut it to 8% by lugging your own gear, or 7% by sleeping at a fans house, as mentioned before it would make no difference to who could afford to come to the show or not.
    If you know the cost of anything it is easy to see how and $80 ticket price would be eaten up quick
    Liam Finn should probably get paid too.
    By facts I mean, a tour of this sort, in these good venues, with a good crew, comfortable touring lifetyle for staff and families, just could not happen for less.
    At least not less enough that it would make any difference to anybody.
    At $150 and $250 per ticket, I could tolerate some bitching.
  • Options
    i think the thing for me is the fact that ed preaches this man of the people bullshit.this doesn't fall in line with that.how can he honestly justify the same price for him as the whole band is asking? that and the fact that it's a smaller stage set up which means less crew, less trucks for the road, less people to pay.wtf is going on Ed? i will continue to love this band with all my heart, but Ed does have something to do with setting ticket prices and in the current economic climate, he should be ashamed of himself.
    looking to hear of the earth
  • Options
    McNairn wrote:
    I dont know the numbers
    It's all a guess
    but you can rough it out and give or take and get a good idea of how much money is involved
    My guess is that the aim would be 10% profit for ED over and above all expenses.
    Whether you cut it to 8% by lugging your own gear, or 7% by sleeping at a fans house, as mentioned before it would make no difference to who could afford to come to the show or not.
    If you know the cost of anything it is easy to see how and $80 ticket price would be eaten up quick
    By facts I mean, a tour of this sort, in these good venues, with a good crew, comfortable touring lifetyle for staff and families, just could not happen for less.
    Full bands play the same venues for half the price. It's not a logical argument. I saw Wilco at the Lyric Opera House for 40 bucks...that's 6 guys with a ton of gear. Bands also play smaller venues, for a 1/4 of the price. The Drive-By Truckers and The Hold Steady co-headlined 1500-2000 seat venues, charging no more than $20 a ticket. That's around a dozen people touring, all getting equal cuts. With your logic, no band would ever make any money touring unless they charged outrageous amounts.

The point that people are making is that $75 is very expensive for a solo performance show. You can't blindly argue that Ed doesn't stand to make a ton of money on these shows, and if you do you need to take off your Pearl Jam love-affair glasses.

I'm not saying he doesn't deserve $75. Clearly the market speaks for itself as these shows will sell out in minutes, and likely would even if Ed charged double. I'd certainly pay $75 if Ed came to my neck of the woods. What turns me off about the ticket prices is that for years we've listened to Ed preach about rich people, poor people, corporate-this and corporate-that. We've heard him chastise people for the sole fact of being wealthy. We've heard him attack other bands of being sell-outs.

Newsflash: Ed is rich. He's made made a ton of money off of you and I, and that's perfectly fine. He's in one of the most popular bands of all-time, so why shouldn't he be rich? I've been more than happy to fork over my dollars to Ed and the band for endless hours of entertainment, numerous life-changing experiences, and so on. My main point is that if Ed really was the average guy that he tries so hard to make out his image to be, he wouldn't charge $75 a ticket so the average guy can't go. I'm fine with Ed being rich, but I just wish he'd be genuine about it and quit the average-joe rhetoric when talking politics, selling out, etc.
    "I'll do whatever the song dictates - if it doesn't need a real lead, then I won't do one. But if it does, then I'll fuckin' go off." - Mike

"Japan is awesome; the fans there knew all the words to all the songs...at least phonetically." - Stone

"I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version." - EV
  • Options
    Kel VarnsenKel Varnsen Posts: 1,951
    McNairn wrote:
    I dont know the numbers
    It's all a guess
    Full bands play the same venues for half the price. It's not a logical argument. I saw Wilco at the Lyric Opera House for 40 bucks...that's 6 guys with a ton of gear. Bands also play smaller venues, for a 1/4 of the price. The Drive-By Truckers and The Hold Steady co-headlined 1500-2000 seat venues, charging no more than $20 a ticket. That's around a dozen people touring, all getting equal cuts. With your logic, no band would ever make any money touring unless they charged outrageous amounts.

I imagine the bigger the act is the higher the costs are. I mean if some no name band wants to rent a space or rent some trucks or hire catering the probably aren't charged as much, but when someone says Eddie Vedder wants to rent a theater, the management probably realizes he has a huge fan base and ups their fees accordingly.
  • Options
    CP13458CP13458 Posts: 12
    Guys, you are a bit off here. Price is a function of supply and demand ONLY. Without going into into detail, lowering the prices still wouldn't help because there would always be someone out there who would be willing to pay ridiculous prices for tickets and would get them from secondary markets. In fact it would be way worse because you are causing an extreme shortage. This would be putting tons of money in their pockets by basically ripping people off. This is the price that the MARKET has determined EV tickets should cost. It is not about cost breakdown or anything else...it is about supply and demand. You can google a whitepaper on this from many sites. I've studied this example (ticket prices, not EV ticket prices) and presented on this as part of MBA curiculuum. Not trying to put anybody down, but I just wanted to shed some light on the subject.
  • Options
    McJuicyMcJuicy Posts: 747
    CP13458 wrote:
    Guys, you are a bit off here. Price is a function of supply and demand ONLY. Without going into into detail, lowering the prices still wouldn't help because there would always be someone out there who would be willing to pay ridiculous prices for tickets and would get them from secondary markets. In fact it would be way worse because you are causing an extreme shortage. This would be putting tons of money in their pockets by basically ripping people off. This is the price that the MARKET has determined EV tickets should cost. It is not about cost breakdown or anything else...it is about supply and demand. You can google a whitepaper on this from many sites. I've studied this example (ticket prices, not EV ticket prices) and presented on this as part of MBA curiculuum. Not trying to put anybody down, but I just wanted to shed some light on the subject.

CP, this sounds really intriguing, and as an MBA, i am really interested in the example you studied, do you have a powerpoint or whitepapers on the study or conclusion or anything?
    buf dtw buf sce yyz tol grr yhm yyz pit yyz yyz pit bna cae aus lax lax san phl phl cle buf mke mke atl pit buf clt san lax lax gsp cae bna sea sea
  • Options
    whitepantswhitepants Posts: 723
    CP13458 wrote:

You make a lot of sense, I hope others understand this situation better now. Thx.
    ~*~Me and Hippiemom dranketh the red wine in Cleveland 2003~*~

First PJ Show: March 20, 1994 | Ann Arbor | Crisler Arena
  • Options
    I had a conversation once with a painter and he explained to me that many established artists set their prices based on the amount at which they are willing to let go of something they love. Ed obviously places a high value on his songs, which he should.
    "Goddamn Romans. Sure know how to make a ... drum room." --Matt Cameron
  • Options
    There are a lot of factors I guess
    I saw Neil Young in Toronto recently. Tickets were I think $250 for floor seats and the first section. I got nosebleeds for $100 each. There were a limited amount way up top for $60
    At first I was pissed.
    Then I realized, that with scalpers and "secondary markets" all Neil was doing is taking scalpers money for himself.
    Scalpers and secondary markets didn't make a lot off of his shows because of the high initial price.
    I could imagine Neil Young making a perfectly logical decision to scam the scalpers in this way.
    The show sold out. I am sure Niel (as well as Ed) donated a lot of cash to worthwhile causes.
    With scalpers now developing sophisticated on-line resale operations (i.e. ticketmasters own "tickets now"), it only makes sense for the artist to try and limit their profits and take home some money themselves, or treat your crew right, or allow your crew to bring their families, or provide daycare, or save a few beaches etc. etc.
    Unfortunately the cash strapped fans loose out, but is there any other way around this?
    Could Ed sell tickets for less $'s through 10 club than they are available through ticketmaster? Would that be allowed by the venue? Would it make any difference?

This is a cool debate!

At least we've moved past the "Ed's not playing in my backyard" and "Ed's a greedy asshole"