Options

$162/pair for EV?

Comments

• Options
    The ChampThe Champ Posts: 4,063
    Virtually the same prices as the last Ed solo tour..thinking about the June 12th Friday show at Philly as that would be my only opportunity...but not sure if it's worth the dough and travel hassle....anyway, have fun guys..
    'I want to hurry home to you
    put on a slow, dumb show for you
    and crack you up
    so you can put a blue ribbon on my brain
    god I'm very, very frightening
    and I'll overdo it'
  • Options
    Kel VarnsenKel Varnsen Posts: 1,951
    I guess $162 is a lot if it is something you are spening every week or even every month. But how often does someone really get a chance to see Eddie Vedder or even the whole band live? For most people not very often. The last live show Ed did was what 8 months ago, if you went to that show and then saved 75 cents each day from the day of that show to today, you would easily have enough money to afford tix to another show.
  • Options
    darthvedder81darthvedder81 Posts: 688
    edited April 2009
    Ed (and the rest of the band) may claim to distrust Capitalism but they absolutely know how to leverage it for all they can. If people want to pay $150 for a show then Ed can charge that. More power to him.
    So this life is sacrifice...
    6/30/98 Minneapolis, 10/8/00 East Troy (Brrrr!), 6/16/03 St. Paul, 6/27/06 St. Paul
  • Options
    megatronmegatron Posts: 3,420
    The Champ wrote:
    Virtually the same prices as the last Ed solo tour..thinking about the June 12th Friday show at Philly as that would be my only opportunity...but not sure if it's worth the dough and travel hassle....anyway, have fun guys..
    awesome avatar
  • Options
    polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    polaris_x wrote:
    i wonder if it would be more palatable to people if the ticket price was listed at say $60 plus service charge and taxes?

i mean if i go buy a ticket now for anything at ticketbastrd - i end up paying at least another 25% on service charges and taxes ..
    exactly..and u wont even get a shot at ticketmaster. they'll give them all to ticketsnow immeiately..
    then u fork over hundreds..
    this thread is ridiculous

i just think that there are a lot of costs associated with putting on a show like this and to operate a website with forum and all that that people don't appreciate - i'm also guessing they are paying their crew and staff a decent wage ...

i don't disagree that someone can say that they are still expensive as like i've said - it's all relative ... but i don't see this as a gouge at all ... maybe everyone would like to see ev pick up a sponsor like coke or something so he can make the prices cheaper?
  • Options
    12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    I dont know what has been said already but I just checked my previous 10C orders...

the previous solo tour had tickets $167 a pair

they went down 5 bux..... its hardly anything, but the point is they didnt go up

stop complaining about it for whoever is.
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • Options
    ZosoCatZosoCat Posts: 176
    things have changed in the world since the last EV tour... he could have charged about $60 for a ticket and still made a healthy profit from every show.
  • Options
    Kel VarnsenKel Varnsen Posts: 1,951
    edited April 2009
    ZosoCat wrote:
    things have changed in the world since the last EV tour... he could have charged about $60 for a ticket and still made a healthy profit from every show.

I think unless you are Ed's accountant none of us can really say how much profit he makes off a show. Maybe he could charge less, but then maybe if he did he would have to lay people off from the road crew or cut staff in the 10 club, or play crappier venues.
    Post edited by Kel Varnsen on
  • Options
    well ed did get his wish with obama

maybe those who bought more than one set should have to give one up to those who cant afford it ;);)
  • Options
    FlaggFlagg Posts: 5,856
    well ed did get his wish with obama

maybe those who bought more than one set should have to give one up to those who cant afford it ;);)

:D
    DAL-7/5/98,10/17/00,6/9/03,11/15/13
    BOS-9/28/04,9/29/04,6/28/08,6/30/08, 9/5/16, 9/7/16, 9/2/18
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    PHL-5/27/06,5/28/06,10/30/09,10/31/09
    CHI-8/2/07,8/5/07,8/23/09,8/24/09
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    Bridge School-10/23/2010,10/24/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14
  • Options
    hopethatuchokehopethatuchoke Posts: 2,930
    Bottom line is, $83.50 is an insane price for a guy to sit with an acoustic guitar and a kick drum in a Corona box for 2 hours. Especially in this economy. It's a great show yes but a very high price for someone who adored Fugazi. And please stop blaming it on booking agents, venues, gas, road crew, the war in Iraq, paper cuts, The Simpsons, the price of computer ink cartridges or anything other than Ed himself because ultimately he sets the face value pre-service charges. I bought a pair of Pit tickets to Metallica at MSG today for $173.25. That is a show with 2 openers, pyro, a stage without a bad view and basically an amazing show...not just a concert.

More power to him though, he knows people will pay it. I will be one of those people (hopefully) paying it.
  • Options
    Bottom line is, $83.50 is an insane price for a guy to sit with an acoustic guitar and a kick drum in a Corona box for 2 hours. Especially in this economy. It's a great show yes but a very high price for someone who adored Fugazi. And please stop blaming it on booking agents, venues, gas, road crew, the war in Iraq, paper cuts, The Simpsons, the price of computer ink cartridges or anything other than Ed himself because ultimately he sets the face value pre-service charges. I bought a pair of Pit tickets to Metallica at MSG today for $173.25. That is a show with 2 openers, pyro, a stage without a bad view and basically an amazing show...not just a concert.

More power to him though, he knows people will pay it. I will be one of those people (hopefully) paying it.
    valid points on pyro and all..also a huge venue.
    still would rather watch eddie right a song than see metallica..they flat out scared me at bonnaroo :D

another awesome avatar btw
  • Options
    Bulldog88Bulldog88 Posts: 380
    I see no problem here. So happy he's touring again so soon!!!
  • Options
    Heineken HelenHeineken Helen Posts: 18,095
    polaris_x wrote:
    i just think that there are a lot of costs associated with putting on a show like this and to operate a website with forum and all that that people don't appreciate - i'm also guessing they are paying their crew and staff a decent wage ...

i don't disagree that someone can say that they are still expensive as like i've said - it's all relative ... but i don't see this as a gouge at all ... maybe everyone would like to see ev pick up a sponsor like coke or something so he can make the prices cheaper?
    I think we can forget about the argument that they have to pay for a website since we're all now paying for that ;)

And if other BANDS can afford to play such shows for less money, I think we can assume his profit margin is pretty reasonable since he won't have to pay the other 4 or 5 lads anything out of the share and he's charging just as much money 8-)

Good for him... but he just doesn't stand for much to me anymore... and that's quite hard for me to admit and a big change on where I stood until last year.
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Verona??? it's all surmountable
    Dublin 23.08.06 "The beauty of Ireland, right there!"
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Copenhagen?? your light made us stars
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Had I not found this love with you
  • Options
    decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,976
    ZosoCat wrote:

probably, or not...who knows? bottomline, ed set his price and we choose to accept it and go, or not. and so it goes......

i personally am happy prices remian the same since last year. i think of concerts as a luxury good, so i think 60 or 80......it's still not a huge difference. if one is that concerned about $$$, i personally wouldn't consider going at all, but that's me. and i am not 'defending' ed...i don't think there is anything to defend. perhaps it isn't worth it to him to do so for less, and he knows how the supply/demand works....probably carefully chose the cities and venues knowing the precarious economy. i am sure his shirts and zippos and posters, etc will be on sale, and none cheaper either, nor would i expect them to be! it's a choice, and certainly not a necessity in life to see live ed. i totally support people being against spending $81 to see ed, or any live act.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• Options
    JeanwahJeanwah Posts: 6,363
    Yeah, I'm bumming about the prices again for another EV tour, but I'll pay it because he's actually coming to my area and the Palace in Albany is an awesome venue for a show. That said, what I think would be really nice, now that "the band" tab is working on this site, if Ed would blog about why his tix tend to be so expensive. Maybe that's what we need to hear: the story from him! I also think that in this recession, an affordable show would be more than welcoming.
  • Options
    cordurologycordurology Posts: 226

Fair points.
    Lex 03, Gorge 05, Cincy 06
  • Options
    WindowPaineWindowPaine Chicopee, MA Posts: 504
    low in comparision to 'such and such a band'. i don't care. $81 to see someone and their guitar? come on. chris cornell is less than $45, scott weiland was less than $30. i don't rate them as high as eddie but COME ON. they played in smaller clubs too. greedy fuckers. oh well. i will skip this tour. most likely future ones if i'm going to have to shell out almost $100. ridiculous

fugazi....never more than $6.....
    First Show: Springfield, MA 4/6/94
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,352
    Maybe it's ticketmasters fault ;P
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,396

nah it's stone's fault ... :)
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    youngsteryoungster Boston Posts: 6,574

nah it's stone's fault ... :)

Yep, it's definately Stone's fault.
    He who forgets will be destined to remember.

9/29/04 Boston, 6/28/08 Mansfield, 8/23/09 Chicago, 5/15/10 Hartford
    5/17/10 Boston, 10/15/13 Worcester, 10/16/13 Worcester, 10/25/13 Hartford
    8/5/16 Fenway, 8/7/16 Fenway
    EV Solo: 6/16/11 Boston, 6/18/11 Hartford,
  • Options
    CalumCalum Posts: 635
    If someone offered me a pair for $162... I'd snap of you're arm :?
    London Astoria - Dublin - Wembley - Shepherds Bush - London 02
  • Options
    mach271mach271 Posts: 562
    It is outrageous.....

Its almost like all the issues, and outlooks these guys valued throut the early years are coming to pieces late in their career

SELLING OUT HARDCORE
  • Options
    LOV2ROCKLOV2ROCK Minneapolis/St.Paul Posts: 822
    EddiesMuse wrote:
    Its worth it trust me!

Yes it is worth it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The man is a legend at storytelling.I'd put him right up there with mr.roger's ;):lol:
    The stories are what's worth attending these show's.The music is just secondary to me.
    It's just white noise playing in the background.
    All his solo songs are just storytelling with background music.
    The man has a knack for spinning words into photographic memories for the mind.

You bet your ass these show's are worth every flippin penny.You shouldn't even be asking if you should go to an ed show.
    The show's are PRICELESS
  • Options
    LOV2ROCKLOV2ROCK Minneapolis/St.Paul Posts: 822
    low in comparision to 'such and such a band'. i don't care. $81 to see someone and their guitar? come on. chris cornell is less than $45, scott weiland was less than $30. i don't rate them as high as eddie but COME ON. they played in smaller clubs too. greedy fuckers. oh well. i will skip this tour. most likely future ones if i'm going to have to shell out almost $100. ridiculous

fugazi....never more than $6.....

Fugazi=Not worth $3.00
    Cornell=Has lost his fuckin mind.
    Weiland=Waste of Cells
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 88,492
    whoa! just $162? least it wasn't 170 eh?

here's what i payed on july 8th, for montreal 1, montreal 2, toronto 1 & toronto 2!

july8th10club.jpg
  • Options
    Demetrios... are you allowed to take photos ? (with/out flash) As it seems like a relaxed affair, like chilled, sitting and listening?
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 88,492
    Rourke24 wrote:
    Demetrios... are you allowed to take photos ? (with/out flash) As it seems like a relaxed affair, like chilled, sitting and listening?

no cameras were aloud at any of the ed show's!
    i think this all started with the .. VIC!!!
    yep, vic! if you guy's didn't blind the man during the preset,
    ed would of been relaxed & not worrying about his solo tour being photo'd or audio taped!

without flash .. would be cool to bring, but you won't get any good shot's, unless you're right up front!
  • Options
    demetrios wrote:
    Rourke24 wrote:

no cameras were aloud at any of the ed show's!
    i think this all started with the .. VIC!!!
    yep, vic! if you guy's didn't blind the man during the preset,
    ed would of been relaxed & not worrying about his solo tour being photo'd or audio taped!

without flash .. would be cool to bring, but you won't get any good shot's, unless you're right up front!

cool, hopefully i can get close... and the camera are more relaxed this time. thanks for taking time to answer. :)
  • Options
    et21et21 Posts: 112
    mhterrapin wrote:
    In their minds they'll sell an $80 ticket to enough people to make it a sell-out show, even if a bunch of people are left out due to financial issues. But the thing that gets me is it has gotten to the point where the the connection with some of the music is fading. I was fortunate enough to see him in Chicago last time around and even then hearing him sing "Drifting" and "Society" was hard to swallow knowing how much I paid to be sitting there. Not to mention much of the underlying theme of "Into the Wild". That may sound stupid but I think it's really important to preserve the integrity of the music in every way.

EXACTLY. He is rich enough.
    I surfaced and all of my being was enlightened.