~ The Kitty Thread!! ~ Take 2!

Comments

• dharma69 wrote:
    Well, we picked up our boys on Valentines day! :mrgreen:

They've already trashed the bloody house but my gosh... they are GORGEOUS!!! :mrgreen:

I'll post a pic of them both tomorrow :)

dharma69 - 19 pounds?! :shock:
    Well he's...*ahem*big-boned*ahem*.

And Cinammon is napping all snuggled under a pink blanket. It's pretty darned cute.

Fricking cats own us, don't they?

Yes... yes they do :lol:

But we love it ;) :oops:
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

... and I still think Drive-By Truckers are better.
  • JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    dharma69 wrote:
    [

As I look over from my desk, at 4 of my 6 cats, sleeping peacefully, on MY bed, on MY side of the bed, I'd have to agree. They'd be up on the pillow if I didn't put stuff on top of it to dissuade them.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • dharma69dharma69 Posts: 1,285
    JaneNY wrote:
    dharma69 wrote:
    [

As I look over from my desk, at 4 of my 6 cats, sleeping peacefully, on MY bed, on MY side of the bed, I'd have to agree. They'd be up on the pillow if I didn't put stuff on top of it to dissuade them.
    Why do we even bother?

Shame. Less.

3286282896_2e7ac45cd1.jpg

Might as well hang a DO NOT DISTURB sign :D !
    "I'm here to see Pearl Jam."- Bono

...signed...the token black Pearl Jam fan.

FaceSpace
  • mertmert Posts: 167
    dharma69 wrote:

Might as well hang a DO NOT DISTURB sign :D ![/color]

LOL! That looks like cartoons when people are walking through a den of sleeping lions... :lol:
  • JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    dharma69 wrote:

Shame. Less.

Might as well hang a DO NOT DISTURB sign :D

Lulz - that totally looks like the scene in my living room
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • dharma69 wrote:
    JaneNY wrote:
    dharma69 wrote:
    [

Why do we even bother?

Shame. Less.

Might as well hang a DO NOT DISTURB sign :D !

AWESOME!!! :lol::mrgreen:

And that picture perfectly sums up why I love cats... They just don't care :roll: :D

Well, here's our boys -

DSC00317-1.jpg

Riley is the tabby on the left and Sykes is black and on the right :mrgreen:

They love and care for each other so much, Sykes constantly looks for Riley if he can't see him and Riley washes his lil' brother :D They even call each other with the short, high pitched purr/brrrrrp! noise that kittens make to call their mothers :mrgreen:
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

• Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    I wish I had taken more photo's of my cat.
    I only bought a digital camera over the weekend and the 3 photo's I took were of him sick.
    That really sucks, wish I had more photo's for memories back when he was a kitten and a healthy adult.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • FifthelementFifthelement Lotusland Posts: 6,905
    Congrats on your new babies Sian and Dave. They look adorable :D
    "What the CANUCK happened?!? - Esquimalt Barber Shop
    I wish I had taken more photo's of my cat.
    I only bought a digital camera over the weekend and the 3 photo's I took were of him sick.
    That really sucks, wish I had more photo's for memories back when he was a kitten and a healthy adult.

Pictures are nice, but really you will never, ever, ever forget your baby. My cat Lady, who had to be put down almost twenty years ago, is never far from my thoughts. Much like your cat, she was there for me throughout my childhood and teens. I am still devastated by her loss. I often think about her and how she would crawl under the covers and nestle against my belly and sleep the night away. The best though, was when she refused to let my grandma sleep with me :lol::lol: She growled and gave granny the stink-eye until she was forced to leave and sleep with my sister instead. Ah, Lady I miss you. I have very few good pictures of her when she was in her prime, but I'll never forget her.
  • I wish I had taken more photo's of my cat.

Pictures are nice, but really you will never, ever, ever forget your baby. My cat Lady, who had to be put down almost twenty years ago, is never far from my thoughts. Much like your cat, she was there for me throughout my childhood and teens. I am still devastated by her loss. I often think about her and how she would crawl under the covers and nestle against my belly and sleep the night away. The best though, was when she refused to let my grandma sleep with me :lol::lol: She growled and gave granny the stink-eye until she was forced to leave and sleep with my sister instead. Ah, Lady I miss you. I have very few good pictures of her when she was in her prime, but I'll never forget her.
    Agreed. I only had 3 photos (one of which is up in our house) of my cat Tabitha who passed away recently from cancer. At first I was upset and panicked as I didn't think i'd remember her... but as these couple of weeks have passed, it's things that photos can't capture that i've remembered... The way she used to fuss herself, her moo instead of a standard mieow, her weird tail flick and the feel of her soft belly fur... My other cat Polly suddenly passed away over 3 years ago now and no matter how much I look at her pictures, it's remembering how she used to look at me and purr that makes me smile.

Photos are great, but as Fifthelement said, you'll never ever forget your cat. :)

• audiodaveaudiodave Posts: 1,623
    I know Sian has already posted about this, but I wanted to do it myself aswell. I haven't had a chance to do so before now as we haven't had the internet.

Two weeks ago my Mum had to have our cat Max put to sleep. As you may know, he was old and had a stroke (if not a series of strokes) late last year. My Mum said that he was just getting progressively worse and didn't always know where he was or what was going on, so she didn't think it fair to keep him alive in such a state and I agree.

He was 18 when he was put to sleep and he had a good life. We got him when he was two weeks old. My sister came home one day with this tiny little cat that fit into the palm of your hand. He had been abandoned by his mother so we took him in. When we took him to the vets, they told us that he had a serious case of cat flu and that it was very unlikely that he would survive, but he got through it. We had to feed him out of a dropper, and he couldn't open his eyes for several weeks, but he survived and got stronger.

He was such a great cat to be around. He loved people so much, and I honestly believe that because we raised him from being so young, he thought he was one of us. I'm only 22, and one of my earliest memories is getting Max. He really was like a brother to me, albeit of a different species and alot smaller than me. I'll never forget how he used to get really playful, even in his old age, and run up trees only to get stuck up them. He actually fell out of one and broke his leg once...stupid cat. Or how when you wanted to put him out at night, he'd get to the door, let you open it, realise what was happening and start walking backwards because he didn't want to go out. Or how he used to meow so loud at you it was like shouting because he was going deaf. Or how he used to sit your knee and drool because he had no teeth left.

These are just a couple of things off the top of my head, and just a couple of reasons why I loved him so much, and I always will. I'll never forget a cat as affectionate and loving as Max. I haven't been back to my Mum's since he's been gone, but I know when I do it'll be really hard. This probably seems weird to non cat people but I know there are people here who understand.

RIP Max. You will never ever be forgotten.
    ~AKA Dave-of-the-dead~

I don't wanna think, I wanna feel

Dublin 23/08/06 Lisbon I 04/09/06 Lisbon II 05/09/06 Paris 11/09/06 Verona 16/09/06

London 18/06/07 Dusseldorf 21/06/07 Copenhagen 26/06/07 Nijmegen 28/06/07
    Aww Dave. {{{{{HUGS}}}}} I am so sorry for your loss. Hold your memories close. Sounds like he was an amazing pet, friend and brother.

P.S. Good to see you back here :P
    As audiodave said, "like a brother to me", exactly my thoughts, my sisters got married and moved out, there is a bit of a age gap between me and my older sisters, so I would always and sometimes still do kick back outside with my cat. He's always been there in my shit times, and always comes to my car door every day when I come home from work. I cannot imagine life without him, it saddens me.
    I have a picture somewhere (really got to find it) of me holding him a few weeks after we got him, I was very young and he was tiny as.
    We have grown up together, come to think of it he's been there half my life so far, age 12-current (24).

I remember when we first got him, he was my sisters husbands (then boyfriend) Christmas present for her, my parents objected when my now brother in law brought him here for the first time, but after heavy persuasion we won the right to keep him. He was adopted from an animal shelter, apparently he was with little puppies in the same cage haha, that explains some of his traits.
    I remember not long after meeting me for the first time he would always sleep on my belly as I was laying down watching TV on the couch, I guess we were best mates from the first day, the rest is history.

Got to take him to the vet tomorrow for an x-ray, but he appears better today, for the first time in weeks I found him waiting by the doorstep for food, and when I lifted him he seems heavier than last week.
    It will be hard leaving him at the vet all day tomorrow alone and surrounded by strangers, but I have to be cruel to be kind, it's for the best. Kinda nervous about it, hope all is well. Fingers crossed.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
    Where did you guys bury your beloved cats?
    Did you make a small box or something like that?
  • redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    Aww Dave.... It's always so hard to lose a furry friend. They ARE part of the family (whatever non-pet people say). Among other cats, I have a nearly 20year old. She is still active, catching mice and birds, etc., but we know that in a not too distant future we will need to face losing her. My daughter has known her all her life.

Thoughts Arrive - I hope you are just asking a hypothetical question :( Your last post seemed so positive!
    We have buried all our pets (cats, mice, hamsters, etc.) under our big cedar tree. Deep hole because of the foxes, no box, just wrapped in a bit of muslin to let nature take its course. My daughter made little tombstones for all (but then she was much younger at the time).

We buried Stella in our backyard underneath our Japanese Cherry Blossom. Every time I'm in the backyard, I stop and say hello. She'll be gone two years in April :cry: I hope your kitty will be back on his paws soon. Give him a hug from me and tell him good vibes are being sent from Canada :D

In Japan the cherry blossoms are believed to exemplify the transient nature of life, because of their short blooming times. Cherry blossoms also symbolize clouds due to their nature of blooming en masse, besides being an enduring metaphor for the ephemeral nature of life. The transience of the blossoms, the extreme beauty and quick death, has often been associated with mortality.
  • Where did you guys bury your beloved cats?

We buried Tabitha in her favourite blanket (she'd had it her whole life), at the bottom of my ex boyfriend's mother in law's backgarden. I know that seems long winded but both myself and my ex (who took our cats to look after when we split up) live in rented houses. We didn't want to bury her in a garden that someone else could be using in a couple of years time, so we buried her in his mother in law's backgarden as she owns the house and respects the graves. Tabitha was buried with a few other passed pets, so I know she won't be lonely...
    Myself, Dave, my ex and my ex's girlfriend were all present at her burial. I lay her in the hole then we all talked, cried and hugged as we covered her over. It was so emotional but necessary for us all as part of the grieving process. I remember when I lost my cat Polly a couple of years ago, the PDSA had to dispose of her body as we had nowhere to bury her. I still feel awful about that :(
    My parents also have a number of cat graves in their garden, they're marked with stone statues and ornamental foliage... It's nice to sometimes go there, say hi and remember the cats I grew up with.

I agree with Redrock, wrap them loosely in soft material, make the hole deep and let them go back to the earth.

I really hope your question was hypothetical :( {{{{ hugs }}}}
    We buried Stella in our backyard underneath our Japanese Cherry Blossom. Every time I'm in the backyard, I stop and say hello. She'll be gone two years in April :cry: I hope your kitty will be back on his paws soon. Give him a hug from me and tell him good vibes are being sent from Canada :D

And from England :D

{{{{{{{ Good vibes and kitty love }}}}}}}

redrock wrote:
    Thoughts Arrive - I hope you are just asking a hypothetical question :( Your last post seemed so positive!
    We have buried all our pets (cats, mice, hamsters, etc.) under our big cedar tree. Deep hole because of the foxes, no box, just wrapped in a bit of muslin to let nature take its course. My daughter made little tombstones for all (but then she was much younger at the time).

Just curious, so when the time comes I have some ideas.

In Japan the cherry blossoms are believed to exemplify the transient nature of life, because of their short blooming times. Cherry blossoms also symbolize clouds due to their nature of blooming en masse, besides being an enduring metaphor for the ephemeral nature of life. The transience of the blossoms, the extreme beauty and quick death, has often been associated with mortality.

Thanks ;)
    You Canadians are allllright :)
  • decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,976
    don't think i ever graced this thread with pics of the fabulous suki. 8-)
    my lovely little kitty...who's now 19 years old! she'll be 20 this september! :shock:

here she is:
    sukicutie.jpg

and maybe looking not as cute, but a whole lot more pissed..... :twisted:
    pissedkitty-1.jpg
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• don't think i ever graced this thread with pics of the fabulous suki. 8-)
    my lovely little kitty...who's now 19 years old! she'll be 20 this september! :shock:

Wow!!!! She does not look like she is anywhere near 20. Gorgeous! I blow her kisses! :mrgreen:
    I carried a watermelon
    well admittedly, that first pic she is NOT 19, probably a couple years under. the second pic tho, probably 18. she definitely is more frail nowadays, and not as bright-eyed, or as shiny/fluffy as she once was....but she still is our little suki-sue...and she still looks damn fine. we all should look as good as suki does at her advanced age. :D
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• Here's a new pic of my little girl, Spooky:
    3489594817_2f86922bb1.jpg
    I carried a watermelon
    Here's a new pic of my little girl, Spooky:
    3489594817_2f86922bb1.jpg

adorable!
    and beautifully plump!
    :mrgreen:

i love kitties with some girth to em!
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• well admittedly, that first pic she is NOT 19, probably a couple years under. the second pic tho, probably 18. she definitely is more frail nowadays, and not as bright-eyed, or as shiny/fluffy as she once was....but she still is our little suki-sue...and she still looks damn fine. we all should look as good as suki does at her advanced age. :D

Cute name too. Love it - Suki, Suki-Sue. :D
    I carried a watermelon

• adorable!
    and beautifully plump!
    :mrgreen:

i love kitties with some girth to em!

Haha. Hopefully not too plump to fit in her carrier for the flight to NY. :shock:
    she and I are giving NYC a try starting 5/14
    I carried a watermelon
    well admittedly, that first pic she is NOT 19, probably a couple years under. the second pic tho, probably 18. she definitely is more frail nowadays, and not as bright-eyed, or as shiny/fluffy as she once was....but she still is our little suki-sue...and she still looks damn fine. we all should look as good as suki does at her advanced age. :D

don't even get me started....we have numerous 'pet names' for our...pets.

suki, suki-sue, suki-kitty, suki-suki......chloe,chloe-chlo, chloe-dog, chlo-diggity-dog,...igby, igby-boo, iggy, igby-bartholemew, ig-monster, ig-baby, etc, etc.....:D

and NYC 05.14?!
    coolness!
    you shall have to come and visit lawn guyland! ;)
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• well admittedly, that first pic she is NOT 19, probably a couple years under. the second pic tho, probably 18. she definitely is more frail nowadays, and not as bright-eyed, or as shiny/fluffy as she once was....but she still is our little suki-sue...and she still looks damn fine. we all should look as good as suki does at her advanced age. :D

suki, suki-sue, suki-kitty, suki-suki......chloe,chloe-chlo, chloe-dog, chlo-diggity-dog,...igby, igby-boo, iggy, igby-bartholemew, ig-monster, ig-baby, etc, etc.....:D

and NYC 05.14?!
    coolness!

I love all of the pet 'pet names'. hehe.

I will definitely have to come out and visit. Saw your doggie pics. I love Big Nose. :mrgreen:
    I carried a watermelon

and NYC 05.14?!
    coolness!

I love all of the pet 'pet names'. hehe.

I will definitely have to come out and visit. Saw your doggie pics. I love Big Nose. :mrgreen:

hehee.
    we LOVE our pets...*understatement*
    and i probably snap more pics of our pets than parents do of their children. fact that i got my grad degree in photography i am sure is a small influence. ;)

back on topic:
    sukicutie2.jpg
    bit more recent pic - tho still at least 1-2 years old...need to upload more recent kitty pics to photobucket.
    looking at my photobucket, that oringianl pic is from 2004! :shock:
    that's bout right, we BOTH looked way better 5 years ago. ;) haha. workin' on it.....

absolutely.....long island beckons!
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• LizardLizard So Cal Posts: 12,069
    my 16 year old cat is now blind from glaucoma. All of a sudden his pupils were always dilated!!! so sad---but he does OK for himself.
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me