Options

what do you do for christmas day/eve (hanukka, etc)

Comments

• Options

ah, like the interior of a truffle I guess.

not a huge fan of the rich chocolate stuff. my favorite christmas desserts are italian cookies: pizelli, anis cookies, and those plain little cookies that come in pastel colors with the sprinkles on top.
  • Options
    xavier mcdanielxavier mcdaniel Somewhere in NYC Posts: 9,107
    christmas day (we don't celebrate). wake up, watch some of the nba doubleheader (man i miss the days when it used to be knicks-bulls), go out to dinner.
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
  • Options
    I love the holiday season, too. I have lots of happy memories and am enjoying making new ones every year.

Oh, and re: chocolate ganache... If there is a heaven, it is made of chocolate ganache. I had a very tiny and non-traditional wedding, but the one majorly traditional thing we had was a huge and beautiful cake. It was chocolate with a white chocolate mousse filling and covered in a white chocolate ganache. It was divine!!!

that sounds DEVINE!
    altho i am not really a fan of white chocolate...not actually 'true' chocolate in any case, altho sennin always argues with me. ;) however, since it does not contain cocao, it is not 'true' chocolate...but i digress. ganache is heaven! and no, it's not like a truffle. truffles are quite a decadent bit of heaven too.....ganache is simply...ganache. it is just as itself, and it is BLISS! i am getting the small box of pure dark chcolate ganache pieces, and i am sure it will be spectacular.....mmmmmmmmmmm.

godiva has a whole new line of simply dark chocolate and o was torn between the ganache and the truffles....and i don't want to weigh 300 pounds and thus didn't ask for both :p b/c hubby would get it all for me.....so i went with the ganache b/c it's much more unusual. just looking at the godiva catalog :eek:....what christmas gifts!

sooooo...i am sure part of my christmas will be spent sampling godiva dark chocolate ganache. a really good part of this christmas! ;) hubby has 2 godiva samplers - truffles and regular dark chocolate pieces - as stocking stuffers. pure christmas JOY. :D
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• Options
    that sounds DEVINE!
    altho i am not really a fan of white chocolate...not actually 'true' chocolate in any case, altho sennin always argues with me. ;) however, since it does not contain cocao, it is not 'true' chocolate...but i digress. ganache is heaven! and no, it's not like a truffle. truffles are quite a decadent bit of heaven too.....ganache is simply...ganache. it is just as itself, and it is BLISS! i am getting the small box of pure dark chcolate ganache pieces, and i am sure it will be spectacular.....mmmmmmmmmmm.

godiva has a whole new line of simply dark chocolate and o was torn between the ganache and the truffles....and i don't want to weigh 300 pounds and thus didn't ask for both b/c hubby would get it all for me.....so i went with the ganache b/c it's much more unusual. just looking at the godiva catalog :eek:....what christmas gifts!

sooooo...i am sure part of my christmas will be spent sampling godiva dark chocolate ganache. a really good part of this christmas! ;) hubby has 2 godiva samplers - truffles and regular dark chocolate pieces - as stocking stuffers. pure christmas JOY.

I feel that with godiva, you are paying for the pretty box :). Hehe I honestly prefer hersheys. But then, as I said, I am not much of a chocolate person (though I will eat cold hot fudge out of the jar if I'm craving dessert badly enough!:))
  • Options
    We sit round the fire at the in-laws with Santa hats on and say 'HO HO HO This present is for...' - I feel like such a dick! :)
  • Options
    This year I am going to Vegas. I'm such a good Jewish girl on Christmas.
  • Options
    senninsennin Posts: 2,146
    that sounds DEVINE!

godiva has a whole new line of simply dark chocolate and o was torn between the ganache and the truffles....and i don't want to weigh 300 pounds and thus didn't ask for both :p b/c hubby would get it all for me.....so i went with the ganache b/c it's much more unusual. just looking at the godiva catalog :eek:....what christmas gifts!

sooooo...i am sure part of my christmas will be spent sampling godiva dark chocolate ganache. a really good part of this christmas! ;) hubby has 2 godiva samplers - truffles and regular dark chocolate pieces - as stocking stuffers. pure christmas JOY.

Oh please! Chocolate!

I keed cuz i love

:D
  • Options
    mindi wrote:
    We used to have Christmas dinner on Christmas Eve. My dad and grandpa would come over and we would eat, watch movies, chat and open presents.
    But this year both have died so not sure what we will do. Plus my mom was taken from my house in handcuffs and is living with my sister so I really have no family.
    I think we will have to start new traditions this year. I am thinking of doing steaks for dinner on Christmas Eve this year instead of the usual stuff that we just had on Thanksgiving.
    We don't even have a tree up yet. I am not feeling in the mood to do anything this year at all!
    :( mindi... good idea doing new traditions. The first christmas my sister and I tried to do things on our own (after some really bad family stuff) was an absolute disaster at the beginning and we both ended up cutting the hands off ourselves trying to peel potatoes with these new knives she'd bought. We both ended up sobbing but laughing hysterically in between. Once we'd got the veg over with though it turned out to be one of the best christmases... we joined up with neighbours who were away from family... got so drunk and went knocking on doors wishing others happy christmas and meeting others along the way who were doing the same, it was brilliant.
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Verona??? it's all surmountable
    Dublin 23.08.06 "The beauty of Ireland, right there!"
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Copenhagen?? your light made us stars
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Had I not found this love with you
  • Options
    I love the whole getting drunk thing. I wish my family were like that. it would be more fun in the old days when our house was packed with people.

sigh...I guess I just miss the old days. christmas is kinda pointless now. I see my parents and my brother and my grandmother quite often, especially now that's back in state, so it's like any other day, really.
    christmas CAN lose it's magic when you start getting older... it's up to you though not to let it. Cmon be creative and come up with something... perhaps volunteer at a homeless shelter for a couple of hours earlier in the day or something?
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • Options
    i really shouldn't be drinking or eating anything bad this christmas with the half marathon coming up...I guess that's a benefit of not having any guests, there won't be any bad foods! (no matter what I tell myself, every year I end up with a glass of egg nogg). I actually decided that I'm going to have a full fat, full sugar, WITH whip gingerbread latte from starbucks on christmas eve :).
    Hmm... word of advice... forget about diets or training for TWO days of the year. I can't see how you could enjoy christmas if you're watching everything going past your lips :eek:
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • Options
    that sounds DEVINE!

godiva has a whole new line of simply dark chocolate and o was torn between the ganache and the truffles....and i don't want to weigh 300 pounds and thus didn't ask for both : p b/c hubby would get it all for me.....so i went with the ganache b/c it's much more unusual. just looking at the godiva catalog :eek:....what christmas gifts!

sooooo...i am sure part of my christmas will be spent sampling godiva dark chocolate ganache. a really good part of this christmas! ;) hubby has 2 godiva samplers - truffles and regular dark chocolate pieces - as stocking stuffers. pure christmas JOY. : D
    Stop it, just STOP it :eek: I know not of this ganache that you speak of... but I can tell you I'm going to make it my daily mission to find some :)
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • Options
    oh and this year, we're thinking of (once we get drunk obviously) going christmas carolling :D at least to ONE group of neighbours anyway :D And by carolling, we mean most likely standing at the door laughing hysterically with silly hats :D
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • Options
    I'll never forget this one Christmas where this guy in his late teens stood at our door by himself singing carols at my boyfriend-badly.

I just remember hearing my bf say. 'You've got to be kidding me mate, sorry'.

He may have been homeless though... Oh wait, it's not funny anymore.
  • Options
    I feel that with godiva, you are paying for the pretty box :). Hehe I honestly prefer hersheys. But then, as I said, I am not much of a chocolate person (though I will eat cold hot fudge out of the jar if I'm craving dessert badly enough!)

you most definitely ARe paying for the pretty packaging, but you are ALSO absolutely paying for a high quality chocolate product. nothing wrong with liking hershey's more.....but absolutely, the two are not even in the same class. taste is taste.....and our preferences are personal, but as far as 'quality chocolate'....meaning cocoa content, pure ingredients, etc....godiva is way up there, along with most boutique chocolatiers, etc. we have 2 local chocolatiers that are spectacular! one was a client of my mom's and i helped out at time, and i got friendly with the owner and learned a lot. besides, i am simply passionate about my chocolate. :D for me, the darker the better.

sennin wrote:
    Oh please! Chocolate!

I keed cuz i love

right bck atcha!

Stop it, just STOP it I know not of this ganache that you speak of... but I can tell you I'm going to make it my daily mission to find some

http://www.godiva.com/catalog/product.aspx?id=1686&SE_Section=Shop&SE_Category=90

thank me later
    :)
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• Options
    justamjustam Posts: 21,396
    Christmas eve is the big event in my family (we've never done much on christmas day except exchange gifts) but this year, for the first time ever, my immediate family has not a plan for xmas eve (or day)...I'm a little depressed about it....something about sitting there ALL night staring at my parents and trying to have fun....it's not sitting well. that's what I don't like about holidays once all the cousins and stuff abandon you....it's like a holiday, so you can't really *do* anything else, but it's not like there's really anything going on at your parents' house...very weird. Same problem I have with thanksgiving has now crept into the holiday I actually like! I used to love seeing relatives I haven't seen in a year and eating good food and stuff. but this year, I don't get to see anyone.

so what do you all do? let me live vicariously...

Go see a movie!

Sweeney Todd opens that day I think. :)
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • Options
    markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,110
    I don't have any traditions established yet as this is my first Christmas as a married man. It's going to be interesting mixing my family's traditions with her family's traditions. Throw into the pot that she's a nurse and will sometimes have to work Christmas and things get even more interesting. As I've gotten older, my family traditions have relaxed greatly as it's become about finding a day or weekend when we can all get together and enjoy each others company. Her family is still set in their traditions, and it's a great travesty if you aren't able to attend.

This year, we are going to her parents on the 21st and staying there through the 24th. After her family's big get together at her Grandmother's house on Christmas Eve, we're driving an hour back home because she has to work on Christmas Day. After she gets off of work, we're driving back down to her parent's house and spending another night there. Something about her mother being upset and heartbroken if she can't see her daughter on Christmas. I'm glad my family doesn't pull that kind of bullshit, but I'm ok with it this year since she's still adjusting to not being able to see her family every day. Then the next weekend (29th and 30th), we're going up to my Mom's house to do my family's Christmas.
  • Options
    I don't have any traditions established yet as this is my first Christmas as a married man. It's going to be interesting mixing my family's traditions with her family's traditions. Throw into the pot that she's a nurse and will sometimes have to work Christmas and things get even more interesting. As I've gotten older, my family traditions have relaxed greatly as it's become about finding a day or weekend when we can all get together and enjoy each others company. Her family is still set in their traditions, and it's a great travesty if you aren't able to attend.

This year, we are going to her parents on the 21st and staying there through the 24th. After her family's big get together at her Grandmother's house on Christmas Eve, we're driving an hour back home because she has to work on Christmas Day. After she gets off of work, we're driving back down to her parent's house and spending another night there. Something about her mother being upset and heartbroken if she can't see her daughter on Christmas. I'm glad my family doesn't pull that kind of bullshit, but I'm ok with it this year since she's still adjusting to not being able to see her family every day. Then the next weekend (29th and 30th), we're going up to my Mom's house to do my family's Christmas.

I think if you get married, each party should just spend christmas with their own family. I mean why the hell not? It simplifies things, and no one ends up disappointed. If I had a nickel for every time one of my married friends complained about upsetting parents and whatnot because they celebrated with the in-laws, I'd be a rich woman. But the answer is so simple, no one seems to notice it.
  • Options
    Christmas eve mass with my family. Then we always have stuffed peppers and perogies for dinner (weird, right?). Then do gifts with my grandparents.

Christmas day is lounging and family presents. Then Turkey dinner. This year we'll head back home afterwards. Nothing like a 2 hour drive in a Triptophan stupor.

This will be our first Christmas as non drinkers, so that will take some getting used to. Haven't really told my parents yet so that will be interesting. My family loves to partake in the liquid festivities, so...........
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. "
    Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

I saw Hard To Imagine LIVE at MSG!
  • Options
    I think if you get married, each party should just spend christmas with their own family. I mean why the hell not? It simplifies things, and no one ends up disappointed. If I had a nickel for every time one of my married friends complained about upsetting parents and whatnot because they celebrated with the in-laws, I'd be a rich woman. But the answer is so simple, no one seems to notice it.

I SOOOO agree. Split it up! Nobody is happy no matter what you do. We run into this every year. And it sucks. Too much running around, you can't please everyone. It makes the holidays no fun. And the kicker is, no matter how hard we try, my mom ends up bent out of shape as well as my mother in law (who laughs like Selma, Marge Simpson's sister and it gives me the toilet shivers thinking about it)

But, even if you do this, someone will complain the significant other isn't around.

But at least it's a partial accomadation.
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. "
    Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

I saw Hard To Imagine LIVE at MSG!
  • Options
    roarroar Posts: 1,116
    midnight mass on christmas eve

christmas morning at my parents' house
    brunch with the grandparents + mom's side of the fam
    dinner with the grandparents + dad's side of the fam

in total, we visit with about 60 people.
    it's loud + merry...but your ears ring when the day is through.
  • Options
    SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,752
    I feel glad it's over and hope the decorations come down quick!
  • Options
    I SOOOO agree. Split it up! Nobody is happy no matter what you do. We run into this every year. And it sucks. Too much running around, you can't please everyone. It makes the holidays no fun. And the kicker is, no matter how hard we try, my mom ends up bent out of shape as well as my mother in law (who laughs like Selma, Marge Simpson's sister and it gives me the toilet shivers thinking about it)

But, even if you do this, someone will complain the significant other isn't around.

But at least it's a partial accomadation.
    I dunno, my sister and her fiance have it figured out... we all go to THEM for Christmas. His parents, usually my dad (although not this year) and me and whoever else is coming that year. This year she'll also have my brother, his girlfriend, our aunt and our cousin... so, along with the 2 kids, she's gonna have to accommodate 7 people :D but we all chip in... we're like the 7 dwarves and she's like a nazi snow white :D
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • Options
    roar wrote:
    midnight mass on christmas eve

christmas morning at my parents' house
    brunch with the grandparents + mom's side of the fam
    dinner with the grandparents + dad's side of the fam

in total, we visit with about 60 people.
    it's loud + merry...but your ears ring when the day is through.
    :o I used to LOVE midnight mass... actually since we're changing traditions this year, I may suggest we do that.
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • Options
    I disagree with that. I want to spend Christmas with my wife more than anyone else, so that means dealing with the headaches of my in-laws or my family. My family won't get upset about it at all because if the only time we all can get together is the first weekend in February, then our Christmas is in February and nobody cares since we're all together. I'm not getting bent out of shape about it this year, but in the future I don't think I'm going to worry much about upsetting her family. As time goes on, traditions evolve...such is the way of life.
  • Options
    I disagree with that. I want to spend Christmas with my wife more than anyone else, so that means dealing with the headaches of my in-laws or my family. My family won't get upset about it at all because if the only time we all can get together is the first weekend in February, then our Christmas is in February and nobody cares since we're all together. I'm not getting bent out of shape about it this year, but in the future I don't think I'm going to worry much about upsetting her family. As time goes on, traditions evolve...such is the way of life.

I dunno, I've always viewed christmas and holidays in general as family time rather than romantic partner time. like you know when you're in high school or college and after thanksgiving dinner you want to run out with your friends and your parents are like "hang on there, thanksgiving is family time." I didn't really miss my boyfriend at all last year, and we were like 750 miles apart. I went back to New Years Eve with him- see I think of New Years as being the friend/romantic partner holiday.
  • Options
    I dunno, my sister and her fiance have it figured out... we all go to THEM for Christmas. His parents, usually my dad (although not this year) and me and whoever else is coming that year. This year she'll also have my brother, his girlfriend, our aunt and our cousin... so, along with the 2 kids, she's gonna have to accommodate 7 people :D but we all chip in... we're like the 7 dwarves and she's like a nazi snow white :D

hahahahaha nazi snow white...

that was basically my parents' strategy when they got married. they just moved everyone to our house, which was cool, also considering my parents are very close with ALL their relatives. too bad no one wants to come anymore! I think people are very...I don't know selfish? egotistical? with where they want to have holidays. it seems like everyone wants to have it at THEIR house and it no one else comes then they'll just have it alone.
  • Options
    The ChampThe Champ Posts: 4,063
    So for Christmas I'm spending an entire week down in New Bern NC with my fiancee and her parents. This will be the first Christmas not spent with my mom, dad, and sis :(.
    'I want to hurry home to you
    put on a slow, dumb show for you
    and crack you up
    so you can put a blue ribbon on my brain
    god I'm very, very frightening
    and I'll overdo it'
  • Options
    ajedigeckoajedigecko \m/deplorable af \m/ Posts: 2,430
    my wife plays in the bell choir so it is intersting to listen to the music and sing christmas songs.
    live and let live...unless it violates the pearligious doctrine.
  • Options
    I dunno, I've always viewed christmas and holidays in general as family time rather than romantic partner time. like you know when you're in high school or college and after thanksgiving dinner you want to run out with your friends and your parents are like "hang on there, thanksgiving is family time." I didn't really miss my boyfriend at all last year, and we were like 750 miles apart. I went back to New Years Eve with him- see I think of New Years as being the friend/romantic partner holiday.
    Is my wife not my family now?

I didn't mean it to be romantic partner time (although that never hurts ;)). I meant it more as in as we start our own family I want to spend more time with her than anyone else even if it's just hanging out and watching TV. Right now it's just me and her, but possibly with kids in the future, I will want to spend Christmas with them rather than having to travel to my Mom's or my in-laws.