Options

what do you do for christmas day/eve (hanukka, etc)

1235»

Comments

• Options
    PJaddicted wrote:
    GTD.....Just a suggestion, how about you invite everyone over for the holiday...or close to it, and have your own special personal celebration? This way you could start traditions that become sacred for you for your the of your life.

oxc

well *I* can't invite everyone to *my* house because I live in an apartment in the city far away from everyone in the suburbs (and because of the conventional wisdom, everyone would think it absurd to have christmas at the apartment of a single person) . But my *parents* *did* invite everyone the *their* house, as they have for the past 30 years. But each year less and less people want to associate with others, and this year we finally got to 0 people wanting to.
  • Options
    PJaddictedPJaddicted Posts: 1,432
    well *I* can't invite everyone to *my* house because I live in an apartment in the city far away from everyone in the suburbs (and because of the conventional wisdom, everyone would think it absurd to have christmas at the apartment of a single person) . But my *parents* *did* invite everyone the *their* house, as they have for the past 30 years. But each year less and less people want to associate with others, and this year we finally got to 0 people wanting to.

No matter where I lived, apartments, tiny houses, a few states away, I've always had my family and friends over for celebrations. Just do it, invite a few of your family over for the weekend after Christmas, or when ever, and cook them all your favorite holiday foods. It will change the holidays for you.

oxc
    ~*LIVE~LOVE~LAUGH*~

*May the Peace of the Wilderness be with YOU*

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
    — Unknown
  • Options
    PJaddicted wrote:
    No matter where I lived, apartments, tiny houses, a few states away, I've always had my family and friends over for celebrations. Just do it, invite a few of your family over for the weekend after Christmas, or when ever, and cook them all your favorite holiday foods. It will change the holidays for you.

oxc

well first of all, I'm not talking about the weekend after christmas, I'm talking about christmas. if we're just talking about having a party, I could do that anytime (well if I knew more people in town I would). But none of my relatives would come to my house on christmas or any other time. If they complain that they don't want to go to my parents', which is closer, bigger, and actually has edible food and a working oven, then they're definitely not going to trek down to mine. My mother is always complaining that I don't have enough chairs to invite people over. I'd have my friends over anytime- I love having parties. but I don't really have any friends in this state anymore.
  • Options
    you did not just liken someone blowing you off to them dying...
    hmmmm...nope don't think I did :)

Feel free to interpret my post anyway you choose...but I have found ways to connect with the people I care about around the holidays whether I am with them or not...whether they are living or not...feel free to try it...or not :)
    There's a light when my baby's in my arms :)
  • Options
    We're having my mom's side of the family over here, will be about 30-40 people in our house. Gonna eat good food, let the little ones open their presents, exchange gifts, hang out. I already got my zip hoodie and cds from 10c so I don't expect much but it's all good.

I will be getting smashed for sure!

Merry Christmas!
  • Options
    well first of all, I'm not talking about the weekend after christmas, I'm talking about christmas. if we're just talking about having a party, I could do that anytime (well if I knew more people in town I would). But none of my relatives would come to my house on christmas or any other time. If they complain that they don't want to go to my parents', which is closer, bigger, and actually has edible food and a working oven, then they're definitely not going to trek down to mine. My mother is always complaining that I don't have enough chairs to invite people over. I'd have my friends over anytime- I love having parties. but I don't really have any friends in this state anymore.

It is just a day....not even the actual birth date of Jesus. In the end it really doesn't matter in the least what day you celebrate it, as long as you are with those you love. You could be with your parents alone and enjoy them. Make a special meal with your mom and spend quality time with her. Let them know how much you cherish the two of them. I would do anything to have my Dad back for just one more day. He died suddenly 10 days after Christmas almost 3 years ago, the very last day I spent time with him was Christmas. I am sooo thankful that I had that time, my sister and my brother did not. I wish that I could go back and have just one ordinary day with him, to see him, hear his voice,have my chops busted, etc. I had no idea how awful death is for those of us left missing a close loved one. You never get "over" it. There are no guarantees that any of us will be around tomorrow. The only guarantee I've found in life is that it will change, and change is very hard for most of us to deal with, especially if you have lost a loved one. Try to enjoy the moment, make every day special. I will be pampering my mom...she will be our only guest....and she will feel loved and special, because she deserves it. She will be the one in pain, missing her soulmate.

oxc
    ~*LIVE~LOVE~LAUGH*~

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
    — Unknown
  • Options
    markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,110
    PJaddicted wrote:
    It is just a day....not even the actual birth date of Jesus. In the end it really doesn't matter in the least what day you celebrate it, as long as you are with those you love. You could be with your parents alone and enjoy them. Make a special meal with your mom and spend quality time with her. Let them know how much you cherish the two of them. I would do anything to have my Dad back for just one more day. He died suddenly 10 days after Christmas almost 3 years ago, the very last day I spent time with him was Christmas. I am sooo thankful that I had that time, my sister and my brother did not. I wish that I could go back and have just one ordinary day with him, to see him, hear his voice,have my chops busted, etc. I had no idea how awful death is for those of us left missing a close loved one. You never get "over" it. There are no guarantees that any of us will be around tomorrow. The only guarantee I've found in life is that it will change, and change is very hard for most of us to deal with, especially if you have lost a loved one. Try to enjoy the moment, make every day special. I will be pampering my mom...she will be our only guest....and she will feel loved and special, because she deserves it. She will be the one in pain, missing her soulmate.

oxc
    That's what I was trying to get at earlier. We get together with family and celebrate the Christmas customs like the meal and gift giving, but it's not necessarily on Christmas Day. Apparently my family doing it this way causes the abandonment of every elderly person and all children not being able to interact with others....
  • Options
    That's what I was trying to get at earlier. We get together with family and celebrate the Christmas customs like the meal and gift giving, but it's not necessarily on Christmas Day. Apparently my family doing it this way causes the abandonment of every elderly person and all children not being able to interact with others....
    Yep... it's your fault santa isn't real :( :mad:

:p
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Verona??? it's all surmountable
    Dublin 23.08.06 "The beauty of Ireland, right there!"
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Copenhagen?? your light made us stars
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Had I not found this love with you
  • Options
    markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,110
    Yep... it's your fault santa isn't real :( :mad:

I know...:o

It sucks knowing that I'm the reason that 7 and 8 year old kids get so disappointed when they learn that horrible news. :(
  • Options
    stuckinlinestuckinline Posts: 3,359

are there other people in your apartment complex that will be alone this christmas? why not invite them to your apartment? or you could go help out at a soup kitchen/homeless shelter/battered women's shelter. maybe a way to feel better about your situation would be to help out those less fortunate than you. my mom always said no matter how bad you think you are, there are ALWAYS those less fortunate than you. and i mean this in a general sense, i am NOT judging your lifestyle.
    i truly hope you find what you are looking for this holiday season
  • Options
    PJaddicted wrote:

oxc

oh god, I know it's not the "actual birthdate of jesus!" hahaha I don't think christmas is religious at all! but the problem is that I have to celebrate christmas eve and christmas day anyway, I have to go to my parents house and sit there and do nothing on those 2 days. It used to be FUN at my parents' house on christmas! Now it's like I still have to go and stuff, because that's what you do on holidays, but everyone else has ditched us and all the fun has been extracted. So like while i UNDERSTAND that it's not the worst situation in the world or whatever (people make me out to be so cold hearted here) I'm still pissed at my relatives because they have NO REASON to do this. And it's not just me that's going to be sitting there remembering how christmas used to be fun, my whole family will too.
  • Options
    gluten919 wrote:
    are there other people in your apartment complex that will be alone this christmas? why not invite them to your apartment? or you could go help out at a soup kitchen/homeless shelter/battered women's shelter. maybe a way to feel better about your situation would be to help out those less fortunate than you. my mom always said no matter how bad you think you are, there are ALWAYS those less fortunate than you. and i mean this in a general sense, i am NOT judging your lifestyle.
    i truly hope you find what you are looking for this holiday season

haha well I don't live in a complex, I live in a two family (haha but I used to live in a complex and in a building and I never met any of my neighbors in those places...). as I said, I still have to go to my parents. my parents would shoot me in the head if *I* backed out on them too!

I really hate it when you have a problem or something is not making you happy and people are like "well others have it worse." well no da! does that mean you can't ever talk about your own life?
  • Options
    oh god, I know it's not the "actual birthdate of jesus!" hahaha I don't think christmas is religious at all! but the problem is that I have to celebrate christmas eve and christmas day anyway, I have to go to my parents house and sit there and do nothing on those 2 days. It used to be FUN at my parents' house on christmas! Now it's like I still have to go and stuff, because that's what you do on holidays, but everyone else has ditched us and all the fun has been extracted.

you missed my point entirely.....sorry :(

I used to have FUN with my Dad....he was one of those bigger then life people. If I could spend just one more hour with him.....

oxc
    ~*LIVE~LOVE~LAUGH*~

— Unknown
  • Options
    PJaddicted wrote:
    you missed my point entirely.....sorry :(

I used to have FUN with my Dad....he was one of those bigger then life people. If I could spend just one more hour with him.....

oxc

no I got that! but nobody I used to celebrate christmas with has died recently! you can't be MAD at your dad. we have no reason to be left alone other than people are jerks.
  • Options
    The ChampThe Champ Posts: 4,063
    In general, people tend to not want to hang with party poopers, especially during Christmas..
    'I want to hurry home to you
    put on a slow, dumb show for you
    and crack you up
    so you can put a blue ribbon on my brain
    god I'm very, very frightening
    and I'll overdo it'
  • Options
    and crack you up
    and I'll overdo it'
  • Options
    corycory Posts: 736
    The Champ wrote:
    In general, people tend to not want to hang with party poopers, especially during Christmas..

Are they still philosophizing?

Did you know that large doses of prescription cough medicine will make your goober shrink for an extended period of time?

True Story.
    Revive the heart of the heartless...

Why would you start was has no end?
  • Options
    no I got that! but nobody I used to celebrate christmas with has died recently! you can't be MAD at your dad. we have no reason to be left alone other than people are jerks.

But you can make the best of the day and make it very special for your parents. There is no need to even think of the "jerks" figure it is their loss, just do Christmas alone and have fun! That's all I'm trying to get across. In the last few years I have lost a lot of people in my life, one as young as 16....all else can be changed but death. Next year they all might come back to your moms. So enjoy what is today.....you have your health and your parents, the hell with the rest of the family!

oxc
    ~*LIVE~LOVE~LAUGH*~

— Unknown
  • Options
    cory wrote:
    Are they still philosophizing?

Did you know that large doses of prescription cough medicine will make your goober shrink for an extended period of time?

True Story.

I wouldn't exactly call any of this philosophizing, and nice added story ;)..
    and crack you up
    and I'll overdo it'
  • Options
    Sonja_SSonja_S Vienna Posts: 444
    Christmas is celebrated on the 24th in Austria, not the 25th, so I'll pick up my sister on the 24th in the morning, then we'll drive up north to our parents' place where my sister will put up the tree and decorate it while our mom and I put the finishing touches on lunch (fish and potato salad for the parents and my sister, schnitzel and potato salad for me) while my dad watches and provides running commentary alternating for both activities depending on who doesn't throw him out. ;)

Then my sister and I are going to put the prezzies under the tree, light up the tree, ring the bell and start 'Stille Nacht' (Silent Night) on the CD-player, the old folks come in, my mom tries not to cry like a baby while the rest of the family tries not to burst out laughing. This fight is usually lost at the line 'oh, wie lacht' (inside joke) where my mom will pretend to be mad at us for laughing, we exchange presents and then move back to the dining room to eat more and drink lots of alcohol. The eating and drinking is repeated all through the 25th and reduced to eating without drinking for me on the 26th because I have to be sober to drive back to Vienna that afternoon :D

Since my parents moved to the countryside and in that region it's custom to bring plates of self-made cookies and other sweets to friends and neighbours and have some wine or liquor there, it could be that there are going to be people from the village dropping in at all hours with cookies if they haven't gotten that out of the way by then.
    You can tell a man from what he has to say - Neil & Tim Finn
    They love you so badly for sharing their sorrow, so pick up that guitar and go break a heart - Kris Kristofferson
  • Options
    BuruBuru Posts: 8,473
    I eat.

A lot.

:D

PS. And drink to down the food of course.
    y la banda de Guille... cuando toca?
  • Options
    Buru wrote:
    I eat.

A lot.

:D

PS. And drink to down the food of course.

And then you will be joining me in the workout thread Jan 1....right?

oxc
    ~*LIVE~LOVE~LAUGH*~

— Unknown