Options

the official JULY 1ST 2008 NHL FREE AGENT THREAD!!

Comments

• Options
    stickboystickboy Posts: 2,981
    maybe this sanguinetti kid can become another beuke..or if staal can add a few pounds he can take his physical game to another level.
    One guy I said b4 and I'll say it again the rangers should go after is Brian Rolston. Not a huge name, accompanied by a huge contract and is an amazing special teams guy...not to mention he can fuckin fly, not skate!
    Aah, fuck it, I’m just gonna go home, turn on the fuckin’ TV...
    Watch the nightly news and drink a beer...
    Like I could even change the world, yeah right...
  • Options
    Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    i guess this could be its very own thread,m but ill jjust mention this here- it is in the same light as the FAs, only they might be a year or two or ( maybe 3 ) years away.

the Draft is 2 weeks from tomorrow.

NYR . COM

Solid picks built current Rangers team Core of drafted players played big role in team's 2007-08 success newyorkrangers.com Jun 4, 2008, 6:00 PM EDT DRAFT PHOTO GALLERIES:
    • Current Rangers on Draft Day
    • Rangers' Past First-Round Picks

If, as is often said, the road to the Stanley Cup begins at the draft table, then the New York Rangers are truly on the right track.

At Calgary in June of 2000, few Rangers fans could have known that young Henrik Lundqvist was a man who would be King.
    • MORE PHOTOS
    At the upcoming 2008 NHL Entry Draft in Ottawa on June 20-21, the Blueshirts will have an opportunity to add six new faces to the organization, including a first-round choice at the No. 20 overall position. These picks are in good hands with a Rangers scouting staff that has already brought in nearly half of the current roster and formed a core of young players whose entire NHL identity revolves around New York.

That sort of core is evident in this year's two Stanley Cup finalists. Both the Detroit Red Wings and Pittsburgh Penguins can claim to have drafted at least half of their roster. In Detroit's case, 13 of the 23 players who have appeared in the playoffs began their NHL careers in Detroit either as draft picks or undrafted free agents. The list stretches back nearly 20 years to the selection of Nicklas Lidstrom in 1989.

The Wings and Penguins are actually the rule, rather than the exception. In the past 15 years, only three teams have won the Cup with five or fewer of their own draft picks. The Rangers did it in 1994 with Brian Leetch, Mike Richter, Sergei Nemchinov, Sergei Zubov, and Alexei Kovalev. Tampa Bay repeated that achievement a decade later, also winning the Cup with only five of its own picks.

Last season, Anaheim claimed the Cup with only four draft picks in the fold, but five other Anaheim players had entered the league as undrafted free agents who signed with the Ducks.

Every Stanley Cup champion since 1995 has had at least six players on its roster who signed their first NHL contracts with the team, and the average number of such players on a Cup-winner over this period is 10.

Coincidentally, the Rangers' 2008 playoff roster featured exactly 10 players in this category, and more could be in the lineup next season. Nine of these 10 Rangers players were drafted between 2000 and 2005. The 10th, defenseman Dan Girardi, joined the team as an undrafted free agent.

The Rangers' run of draft picks already playing for the team began eight years ago in Calgary, when the Blueshirts chose goaltender Henrik Lundqvist with the 205th overall pick in the seventh of nine rounds. In each subsequent year from 2001 to 2005, the team drafted at least one player who has already become a regular in the NHL.

The 2001 draft at the National Car Rental Center in Sunrise, Fla., brought defenseman Fedor Tyutin (Round 2, No. 40 overall) and forward Ryan Hollweg (Round 8, No. 238 overall). In 2002 at Toronto, the Blueshirts picked up winger Petr Prucha in the eighth round, 240th overall, and in 2003 at Nashville they added another speedy winger in Nigel Dawes (Round 5, No. 149 overall).

Few draft years in Rangers history can compare to the 2004 event at Raleigh, N.C. That draft saw the Rangers add four players who played in the NHL this season, including regular forwards Brandon Dubinsky (Round 2, No. 60 overall) and Ryan Callahan (Round 4, No. 127 overall). Lauri Korpikoski, who scored a goal in his NHL debut during the 2008 Stanley Cup playoffs, was a 2004 first-round pick (No. 19 overall), and Dane Byers, who played his first NHL game during the 2007-08 regular-season was one of four second-rounders (No. 48 overall).

In 2005, draft day in Ottawa brought defenseman Marc Staal at the No. 12 overall pick in the first round. The Blueshirts entered the draft with a No. 16 pick, but made a deal with San Jose to move up in the draft and get Staal – proof that anything can happen during an NHL Entry Draft.

Many of these players attended their respective drafts and were there to meet the Rangers scouts and executives when their names were called. Others who didn't expect to be high picks -- including Hollweg, Prucha, Dawes and Callahan -- missed out on the unique experience of being in the audience when their names were called.

The core of drafted Rangers is likely to increase over the next few years. Waiting in the wings are 2006 first-round pick Bobby Sanguinetti, a defenseman taken 21st overall, and 2007 first-rounder Alexei Cherepanov, a skilled forward who fell into the Rangers' lap at No. 17 overall last year. Then, of course, there are this year's picks, whose names will be known to Rangers fans within just over two weeks.
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • Options
    NY PJ1NY PJ1 Posts: 9,533
    stickboy wrote:
    maybe this sanguinetti kid can become another beuke..or if staal can add a few pounds he can take his physical game to another level.
    One guy I said b4 and I'll say it again the rangers should go after is Brian Rolston. Not a huge name, accompanied by a huge contract and is an amazing special teams guy...not to mention he can fuckin fly, not skate!

i think we want bobby sag to be the offensive d-man

well wheter they want it or not he will be lol
  • Options
    NY PJ1 wrote:
    i think we want bobby sag to be the offensive d-man

well wheter they want it or not he will be lol
    I didnt think he was on Offensive minded man...more of a stay at home cause of his size.
  • Options
    Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    david liffiton is also this type
    big bulky solid & physical guy.
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • Options
    stickboy wrote:
    I didnt think he was on Offensive minded man...more of a stay at home cause of his size.

people better talk because this is becoming another nyr thread lol

noooo bobby sag put up big numbers last year :)
  • Options
    NY PJ1 wrote:
    people better talk because this is becoming another nyr thread lol

noooo bobby sag put up big numbers last year :)
    oh yea...and we know how that goes....we're the haters cause we're the only ones talkin bout our team :rolleyes:

man, between Cherepanov, Korpikoski, Bobby Sag, and whoever else I hope we can make room for most of them! These kids look like theyre for real!
  • Options
    kenshuntkenshunt London, Ontario, Canada Posts: 2,863
    Go Leafs Go!!!!
    London 2005
    Toronto 2011 night 2
    Hamilton 2011
    London 2013
  • Options
    MONTREAL -- The Montreal Canadiens signed forward Maxim Lapierre to a two-year, $1.375 million contract on Monday.

The 23-year-old Lapierre had 18 points in 53 games last season for Montreal. He'll make $575,000 the first year and $800,000 in 2009-10.

"Maxim is part of our core of young players who contribute to the success of our team," Canadiens GM Bob Gainey said. "The determination, grit and energy he brings to the ice are important assets that we are looking for in our young players."

He has 30 points and 84 penalty minutes in 100 NHL games.

The Canadiens selected him in the second round of the 2003 draft.

this is for rygar
  • Options
    RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    stickboy wrote:
    oh yea...and we know how that goes....we're the haters cause we're the only ones talkin bout our team :rolleyes:
    No, you're the hater because you say stupid things about your team :rolleyes:
    NY PJ1 wrote:
    MONTREAL -- The Montreal Canadiens signed forward Maxim Lapierre to a two-year, $1.375 million contract on Monday.

The 23-year-old Lapierre had 18 points in 53 games last season for Montreal. He'll make $575,000 the first year and $800,000 in 2009-10.

"Maxim is part of our core of young players who contribute to the success of our team," Canadiens GM Bob Gainey said. "The determination, grit and energy he brings to the ice are important assets that we are looking for in our young players."

He has 30 points and 84 penalty minutes in 100 NHL games.

The Canadiens selected him in the second round of the 2003 draft.

this is for rygar
    Thanks NY. Lapierre is an average skilled player, at best, but a good agitator and very energetic.

I was at the Bell Centre on Friday.
  • Options
    inmyrvminmyrvm Posts: 933
    i'd hate to beak it to you ny, but orpik's contract with the pens is pretty much done. he's not going anywhere.
    "Fuck the talkin' let's start rockin" - Eddie Vedder 9-5-00 Pittsburgh
    4/26/03 Pittsburgh 5/3/03 State College 7/12/03 Hershey 10/1/04 Reading 9/28/05 Pittsburgh 5/20/06 Cleveland 6/23/06 Pittsburgh 6/22/08 DC

friends don't let friends listen to good charlotte
  • Options
    inmyrvm wrote:
    i'd hate to beak it to you ny, but orpik's contract with the pens is pretty much done. he's not going anywhere.

ok when its done ill move on ,,until then ....

some people are gonna have to go ,,thats a fact
  • Options
    NY PJ1 wrote:
    ok when its done ill move on ,,until then ....

some people are gonna have to go ,,thats a fact

insider info, move on, unless it completely falls apart, which i don't expect to happen. people will have to go, everyone wants to come back though. the question is will everyone work together enough to come back. imo, you have a better shot at hossa than anyone else.
    4/26/03 Pittsburgh 5/3/03 State College 7/12/03 Hershey 10/1/04 Reading 9/28/05 Pittsburgh 5/20/06 Cleveland 6/23/06 Pittsburgh 6/22/08 DC

• Options
    inmyrvm wrote:
    insider info, move on, unless it completely falls apart, which i don't expect to happen. people will have to go, everyone wants to come back though. the question is will everyone work together enough to come back. imo, you have a better shot at hossa than anyone else.

hossa?? u can keep him

i do have some interest in malone though
  • Options
    NY PJ1 wrote:
    hossa?? u can keep him

i do have some interest in malone though

wow. i wouldn't get your hopes up. you really wouldn't want hossa?

• Options
    HawkshoreHawkshore Posts: 2,141
    Ok lets make this thread useful! I posted this site in last years UFA / RFA thread .....it is quite a beneficial tool that depicts each teams cap situation and contract situation player by player!

http://www.nhlnumbers.com/overview.php?team=DET
    Van 92.07.21 / Van 98.07.19 / Sea 98.07.22 / Tor 98.08.22 / Sea 00.11.06 / Van 03.05.30/ Van 05.09.02/ Gorge 06.07.22 & 23 / EV Van 08.04.02 / Tor 09.08.21 / Sea 09.09.21 & 22 / Van 09.09.25 / Van 11.09.25 / Van 13.12.04 / Pem 16.07.17 / Sea 18.08.10
  • Options
    inmyrvm wrote:
    wow. i wouldn't get your hopes up. you really wouldn't want hossa?

not for the money he wants and is gonna get
  • Options
    Hawkshore wrote:
    Ok lets make this thread useful! I posted this site in last years UFA / RFA thread .....it is quite a beneficial tool that depicts each teams cap situation and contract situation player by player!

http://www.nhlnumbers.com/overview.php?team=DET

bout time and it is a great site
  • Options
    NY PJ1 wrote:
    bout time and it is a great site

The only thing that sucks about it is looking at Detroit's situation! They look like they have their cap situation well under control ...no reason to think they can't repeat next year baring significant injuries or Osgood showing his true quality under pressure!
    Van 92.07.21 / Van 98.07.19 / Sea 98.07.22 / Tor 98.08.22 / Sea 00.11.06 / Van 03.05.30/ Van 05.09.02/ Gorge 06.07.22 & 23 / EV Van 08.04.02 / Tor 09.08.21 / Sea 09.09.21 & 22 / Van 09.09.25 / Van 11.09.25 / Van 13.12.04 / Pem 16.07.17 / Sea 18.08.10
  • Options
    Hawkshore wrote:
    The only thing that sucks about it is looking at Detroit's situation! They look like they have their cap situation well under control ...no reason to think they can't repeat next year baring significant injuries or Osgood showing his true quality under pressure!

the orginazation is run perfectly

hey ozzie has 3 cups ,,2 as a starter
  • Options
    holy shit the whole penguins team needs to be signed sans crysby
  • Options
    NY PJ1 wrote:
    the orginazation is run perfectly

hey ozzie has 3 cups ,,2 as a starter

Fuck I know the amazing thing is how these pull these players out of a hat and develop them year after year with late picks. They have Zetterberg, Franzen and Holmstrom under contract next year for a combined cap hit of $6.3Mil!!! :eek:

As for Ozzy I still subscribe to the school of tought the Wings in spite of him.
  • Options
    Hawkshore wrote:
    Fuck I know the amazing thing is how these pull these players out of a hat and develop them year after year with late picks. They have Zetterberg, Franzen and Holmstrom under contract next year for a combined cap hit of $6.3Mil!!! :eek:

As for Ozzy I still subscribe to the school of tought the Wings in spite of him.

like i said the front office is awesome

from the scouts all the way up to the gm

that being said zetterberg will be getting some cheddar in a year
  • Options
    Phantom PainPhantom Pain Posts: 9,876
    Hawkshore wrote:

I'll take Detroit's situation anytime !!

Best GM in Hockey by far
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
  • Options
    I'll take Detroit's situation anytime !!

Best GM in Hockey by far

Absolutely!!! The interesting thing about is the inclusive approach they take in decision making Kenny Holland obviously has the last say but Scotty Bowman, Jim Nill, and now even Yzerman all seem to get their two cents in.

It was kind of funny watching the finals and seeing all four of them squeezed into the ox together!!
  • Options
    Hawkshore wrote:
    Absolutely!!! The interesting thing about is the inclusive approach they take in decision making Kenny Holland obviously has the last say but Scotty Bowman, Jim Nill, and now even Yzerman all seem to get their two cents in.

It was kind of funny watching the finals and seeing all four of them squeezed into the ox together!!

its kinda hard to kcuf up when u have those 4 talking things out lol
  • Options
    inmyrvm wrote:

A year ago, Sidney Crosby re-signed for less money -- an average of $8.7 million per season through 2012-13 -- to help keep the Penguins together. Hossa, who meshed so well with Crosby after being added at the Feb. 26 trading deadline, is willing to do the same thing.

Hossa expects his agent, Rich Winter, to start talking with Shero soon.

"I'd rather take less and play on a good team," Hossa said. "Hopefully, I can return here and be part of this organization but, with the salary cap, I know how hard it is. There's lots of players to be signed, so we'll see what's going to happen."

Among the least likely to return are Malone and Orpik. Despite their contributions to only the third Stanley Cup finalist in Penguins history, they're likely to make more on the open market than Pittsburgh will pay them.

u sure?
  • Options
    uninnocentuninnocent Posts: 1,565
    i have a feeling that offer sheets are gonna make an even bigger impact this year.

someone's gotta try the strategy of giving a ridiculous offer sheet to fleury, forcing the pens to match, and then fucking up their cap hit for next off-season when malkin and staal are rfa's.
  • Options
    uninnocent wrote:
    i have a feeling that offer sheets are gonna make an even bigger impact this year.

someone's gotta try the strategy of giving a ridiculous offer sheet to fleury, forcing the pens to match, and then fucking up their cap hit for next off-season when malkin and staal are rfa's.

:):)
  • Options
    chromiamchromiam Posts: 4,114
    NY PJ1 wrote:
    holy shit the whole penguins team needs to be signed sans crysby

yep 9 players signed for the season at like $26 or 28 mil... how many more do they need to fill out a full roster?? ;)
    uninnocent wrote:

Where's Bob Clarke when you need him?? ;)
    This is your notice that there is a problem with your signature. Please remove it.

Admin

Social awareness does not equal political activism!

5/23/2011- An utter embarrassment... ticketing failures too many to list.