Options

the official JULY 1ST 2008 NHL FREE AGENT THREAD!!

Comments

• Options
    NY PJ1NY PJ1 Posts: 9,533
    chromiam wrote:
    yep 9 players signed for the season at like $26 or 28 mil... how many more do they need to fill out a full roster?? ;)

Where's Bob Clarke when you need him?? ;)

hehe hey bobby give him an offer
  • Options
    HawkshoreHawkshore Posts: 2,145
    chromiam wrote:
    yep 9 players signed for the season at like $26 or 28 mil... how many more do they need to fill out a full roster?? ;)

Where's Bob Clarke when you need him?? ;)

http://www.nhlnumbers.com/overview.php?team=PHI&season=0708

Be careful what you wish for! ........Jeff Carter and RJ Umberger are two of the more attractive RFA targets this year!!! ;)
    Van 92.07.21 / Van 98.07.19 / Sea 98.07.22 / Tor 98.08.22 / Sea 00.11.06 / Van 03.05.30/ Van 05.09.02/ Gorge 06.07.22 & 23 / EV Van 08.04.02 / Tor 09.08.21 / Sea 09.09.21 & 22 / Van 09.09.25 / Van 11.09.25 / Van 13.12.04 / Pem 16.07.17 / Sea 18.08.10
  • Options
    Phantom PainPhantom Pain Posts: 9,876
    Hawkshore wrote:

Be careful what you wish for! ........Jeff Carter and RJ Umberger are two of the more attractive RFA targets this year!!! ;)

I'd be pissed if Carter left !!

Umberger I could live with if we lost him

Umberger may try to cash in due to his good playoff run
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
  • Options
    chromiamchromiam Posts: 4,114
    Hawkshore wrote:

Carter will be signed by July 1st and Umberger either will have a deal structured or at least ballpark numbers before then. If we lose Umby it will suck but I see Homer locking both of these guys up before July 1st.
    This is your notice that there is a problem with your signature. Please remove it.

Admin

Social awareness does not equal political activism!

5/23/2011- An utter embarrassment... ticketing failures too many to list.
  • Options
    I'd be pissed if Carter left !!

Umberger I could live with if we lost him

Umberger may try to cash in due to his good playoff run

You can bank on the fact that if Dave Nonis was still the GM of the Canucks and Clarke was still the GM of Flyers Nonis would be providing a very large offer $heet to Carter. Just to dick him over for the offer sheet he gave Kesler a couple of years ago.

That aside based purely on potential and the crappy UFA market this year combined with a lot of teams out there with cap space. Mr Carter will be getting some very rich offers. Don't be surprised if he is offered some where in 6 to 7 Mil neighborhood. With a large signing bonus insuring he would not fit in the Flyers cap.
    Van 92.07.21 / Van 98.07.19 / Sea 98.07.22 / Tor 98.08.22 / Sea 00.11.06 / Van 03.05.30/ Van 05.09.02/ Gorge 06.07.22 & 23 / EV Van 08.04.02 / Tor 09.08.21 / Sea 09.09.21 & 22 / Van 09.09.25 / Van 11.09.25 / Van 13.12.04 / Pem 16.07.17 / Sea 18.08.10
  • Options
    Rumors Rumors Rumors !!

Olli Jokinen

Jokinen is not a free agent but the most sought out player on the trading block. At least a dozen teams have inquired about trading for Panthers C Olli Jokinen. The Panthers are asking for a 1st round pick and mid-tier impact player. Jokinen makes 5.5 million

Brian Campbell

The Flyers and the Rangers are two of the most interested parties when it comes to Campbell.

Jay Bouwmeester, D

Bouwmeester is a pending RFA but Panthers GM Jacque Martin is listening to offers for the young talented defenseman. Edmonton and Columbus have made inquires. Bouwmeester is seeking a deal in the range of 6 years - 40 million.

Evgeni Malkin

The biggest rumor is Malkin to LA for Kopitar, Dustin Brown and a pick.

• Options
    Rumors Rumors Rumors !!

Evgeni Malkin

The biggest rumor is Malkin to LA for Kopitar, Dustin Brown and a pick.

The Pens have Malkin under contract next season for $984,000 ........I can't see them moving him this year when they have him under contract for such a small cap hit.
  • Options
    There was a rumor in the Sporting News about Umberger being traded to Ottawa for Mazarros (sp).... or possibly Upshall for Mazarros.
    This is your notice that there is a problem with your signature. Please remove it.

Admin

• Options
    I thought this maybe of interest to fans of teams who could be losing RFA's this year such as Carter in Philly! ;) or Perry in Anaheim

These figures are based on the average value of the contract determined by dividing the total value of the contract over the lesser of the term of the contract or five years.

An estimate for the RFA Compensation limits for next year:

Amount Compensation Due
    $863,156 or less None
    $863,156 - $1,307,811 3rd round pick
    $1,307,881 - $2,615,623 2nd round pick
    $2,615,623 - $3,923,434 1st and 3rd round pick
    $3,923,434 - $5,231,246 1st, 2nd, and 3rd round pick
    $5,231,246 - $6,539,061 Two 1st's, one 2nd, one 3rd round pick
    $6,539,061 or more Four 1st round picks
  • Options
    Hawkshore wrote:
    The Pens have Malkin under contract next season for $984,000 ........I can't see them moving him this year when they have him under contract for such a small cap hit.

agree 100%
  • Options
    Hawkshore wrote:
    I thought this maybe of interest to fans of teams who could be losing RFA's this year such as Carter in Philly! ;) or Perry in Anaheim

These figures are based on the average value of the contract determined by dividing the total value of the contract over the lesser of the term of the contract or five years.

An estimate for the RFA Compensation limits for next year:

Amount Compensation Due
    $863,156 or less None
    $863,156 - $1,307,811 3rd round pick
    $1,307,881 - $2,615,623 2nd round pick
    $2,615,623 - $3,923,434 1st and 3rd round pick
    $3,923,434 - $5,231,246 1st, 2nd, and 3rd round pick
    $5,231,246 - $6,539,061 Two 1st's, one 2nd, one 3rd round pick
    $6,539,061 or more Four 1st round picks

I could almost hope that some idiot GM offers Umberger between 3.9 and 5.2mil a year and the Flyers call their bluff and take the 1st 2nd and 3rd rounder.

Admin

• Options
    Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    Larry Brooks reports in the Post that free agent winger Blake Wheeler was at the MSG Training Center yesterday for a tour as the Rangers woo the 21-year-old former Phoenix draftee (5th overall). Wheeler was also in Newark to talk with the Devils. He cannot sign with anyone until July 1st. FoxSports has a list of the top free agent left wingers and projects Avery returning to the Rangers for his asking price of $3.5 million -- on the other hand, they project Martin Straka going back to Pittsburgh. TSN has the complete Ranger off-season game plan -- no surprises there. Blueshirts Blog has more on Michal Rozsival.

When are the Rangers actually going to go and get Paul Ranger from Tampa Bay ?
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • Options
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    Larry Brooks reports in the Post that free agent winger Blake Wheeler was at the MSG Training Center yesterday for a tour as the Rangers woo the 21-year-old former Phoenix draftee (5th overall). Wheeler was also in Newark to talk with the Devils. He cannot sign with anyone until July 1st. FoxSports has a list of the top free agent left wingers and projects Avery returning to the Rangers for his asking price of $3.5 million -- on the other hand, they project Martin Straka going back to Pittsburgh. TSN has the complete Ranger off-season game plan -- no surprises there. Blueshirts Blog has more on Michal Rozsival.

straka would be a good fit in pitt
    but they have so many of their own to take care of

this is gonna be interesting
  • Options
    Hawkshore wrote:

Not to mention kopitar is restricted in 2009 just like malkin so they won't be saving that much. I don't like the idea of trading Malkin even with a return like that. If it's the only way to keep a decent team in tact then i guess, I wouldn't like it though.

There are also rumors of the pens trading either malone or orpik to the blue jackets (giving columbus exclusive negotiating rights) for a draft pick.(1st rounder)
  • Options
    Bathgate66 wrote:

Hopefully the same day the devils sign satan.
  • Options
    Not to mention kopitar is restricted in 2009 just like malkin so they won't be saving that much. I don't like the idea of trading Malkin even with a return like that. If it's the only way to keep a decent team in tact then i guess, I wouldn't like it though.

There are also rumors of the pens trading either malone or orpik to the blue jackets (giving columbus exclusive negotiating rights) for a draft pick.(1st rounder)

that would be smart,,because they are walking free otherwise
  • Options
  • Options
    Word out of NY today from two sources is that NY Rangers are targeting Wade Redden HEAVILY. "The Rangers are pretty confident that they can land Redden," a source told me. Other teams interested: Boston (Chara Redden Reunited?), NJ, Phoenix, and Edmonton...

Speaking of Edmonton...Look for Kevin Lowe to be VERY active this weekend. Darren Dreger from TSN spoke of a possible trade involving one-time Cup rivals Edmonton and Carolina. Darren mentioned Cole or Ruutu possibly heading to Edmonton for Pitkanen... I am hearing Ruutu is extremely possible, not so much Cole. That doesn't mean that Cole won't be moved however.

What is interesting is how this will mark the second straight draft that the Canes will attempt to grab Pitkanen. There was a trade that came REALLY close to happening last year. A three way deal that would have sent Pitkanen to the Hurricanes and included Edmonton as well, while Pitkanen was still a member of the Flyers.

Sean Avery to the Islanders? hmmmmm.....
  • Options
    RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    Where's Jokinin goin?
  • Options
    Rygar wrote:
    Where's Jokinin goin?

???? we shall see
  • Options
    NY PJ1 wrote:
    ???? we shall see
    With Malone almost definitely flying the coop out of Pittsburgh they're looking like they'll be able to resign Hossa, too.
  • Options
    Rygar wrote:
    With Malone almost definitely flying the coop out of Pittsburgh they're looking like they'll be able to resign Hossa, too.

i posted in the rangers thread about malkin coming to ny if they resign hossa
  • Options
    MALKIN TO THE RANGERS?
    Posted 11:29 AM ET | Comments 14 Ok,Ok this is just speculation but the Rangers and the Pens have a deep history of making trades. So no one can respond that the Pens would never move one of the best centers in the game to a division rival. But with hints in the air that Malkin may become expendable if Hossa signs back on in the Steel city,it's got to be explored.Looking back on past trades,the two teams may have appeared to be South American gun runners and not NHl clubs with all the fire power moving east to west. In 98 the Rangers sent Kovalev to PA for Petr Nedved hoping to fill in their center position. In 2003 the Rangers sent a slew of marginal players and Stanley Cup champ Mikael Samuelson to the Pens to take him back. In Aug 1995 the Rangers would make one of their worst deals in history sending Sergei Zubov and Petr Nedved to the Pens for Luc Robitaille and Ulf Samuelsson. The deal has been recently deemed the worst in recent history on Blueshirtbulletin.com.,in a fan poll. Even though both teams failed to reach their Stanley cup goals after making these deals, their sure wasn't a lack of star power and possibilities.

The Rangers are firm on committing to youth and development,while playing around a core of Drury,Gomez,and Lundqvist.I also know they need another legitimate D-Man on the point such as Jay-BOW.But to imagine a line of Malkin with Alexei Cherepanov,and Anisimov (now on the wing) is a really something to ponder. The Penguins like the Rangers,are on the path of greatness. However, it's clear that they have their poster boy already and with Sid in town Malkin holds back a gear. Evgeni had no problem shifting the Ferrari into 4th at Madison Square Garden,and his postseason performance vs. the Rangers had an edge. It's been rumored that Malkin ( who is English shy) is holding Penguins brass under AK-47 pressure,to keep fellow countrymen Sergei Gonchar in black and gold longer term. Would Malkin press hard for a deal to the Rangers knowing that Brooklyn's Brighton Beach is one of the largest Russian communities stateside. It's no fluke that after the Rangers had drafted Cherepanov 17th overall last year in the draft ,that the club was snapping pictures with sexy Russian models in the neighborhood. With NY's ethnic diversity they can play cards that other cities can't and when Sergei Zubov was moved in 95 he missed the city and its proximity to the Brooklyn Moscow. Not only would Malkin have 3 fellow Russians on the club ( assuming Tyutin is not part of the deal),but his agent must drool over the idea of seeing his clients image,jersey,and product all over Manhattan buildings.

I'll let most of you guys figure out possible trade scenarios but,here's some options.Te Rangers could let the Pens pick from any one of several young forwards but Petr Prucha looks to be the most attractive. He could play on the wing with Sid and Hossa and his 30 goal potential is back again. He is also making just over a million dollars so his salary and wing position allows them to fit him in easily.The Pens may want to add a little grit and scoring on the wing as well so Ryan Callahan and his $575,000 salary ease the potential loss of veterans Ruutu or Malone.The Rangers would also have to provide at least 2 first round picks in this and the next draft. With the Draft as deep as it is this year,the Rangers could use its depth as leverage. The Penguins don't have a first rounder this year because of the Hossa deal with Atlanta,and we all know how the Pens keep their hands near the cookie jar. For the Rangers,they need depth at the defensive position and they will be able to find an adequate blue liner in the second round. As most of the Ranger vets near the end of the road,it's becoming more apparent that they are going to need skilled forwards too. Malkin is a beast on the boards and after taking out Mara's legs ( Bad move),he does play with some snarl. I wonder if a Devil takes a run at Cherepanov,if we wouldn't see him take out a few more legs. Speaking Of Cherepanov,it may make bringing him over next year that much easier. With all the issues with the new Russian League the Rangers could use one more card up their sleeve too. Rangers fans may not have to see many growing pains with Cherepanovs game,as Malkin helped Ryan Malone bring his play to new levels. Adding another 6'3" Anisimov to the opposite wing also opens up room for the Russian sniper,and allows him to cash in on Malkins rebounds. Speaking of rebounds the Rangers have been looking for a PP point man for the last few years and after watching Malkins heavy bomb from the point,is there a better shot out there. They already have explored idea using Straka,Cullen,and even brining in Brian Rolston to man the point.But none of those players are the T-72 tank that Malkin is.Moving back to the deal,the Penguins could have Dan Gerardi, ( although it will burn) to fill in the losses of Brooks Orpik and Mark Eaton.So now that's Gerardi,Callahan,Prucha and two first round picks to get started. Staal is off limits so is Sanguinetti,so take it easy Shero with the demands. He will get offers from the Kings and just about every other NHL team ,but needs to take certain things into account. First,Ranger prospects and players are draft with the size of their heart first. It is no shock that most of our young core is playing with the big club because they worked for it. Much of the Rangers team success is attributed to their accelerated development and their desire to win. Shero Will have to gamble on other NHL prospects and the possibility of throwing a wrench into the Penguins recent success and Therriens defensive system. Rangers young forwards aren't shy of back checking and adding 8 possible matches and amped up adrenaline never hurts. Last Shero has to consider that the NHL is no longer the only main option,especially for European superstars. Russian League loopholes are allowing NHL players to jump ship and sign contracts despite NHL commitments. If Malkin starts throwing around threats,it's possible that he could sway a deal to NY over LA.
  • Options
    leafs4everleafs4ever Posts: 833
    no way malkin gets traded, if anyone from the pens goes it'll be stall and i hope the leafs can put in a good offer for him.
    I'm hoping the leafs get orpik and malone (depending on what he signs for). I've heard he'll get around 4mil a year which is too much for us. Something around 3-3.5 i could handle though.
    Besides that i really don't know who we are going to go after besides resigning mats to about 7/year for 2 years. Trade for another top 10 pick and grab Hodgson/Boedker/Scheen with the #7 and Beach with the other 1. Just what i'm hoping for :)
    "I'll ride the wave where it takes me"
    09/19/05, 05/09/06, 05/10/06
  • Options
    Rygar wrote:
    Where's Jokinin goin?

I posted earlier in this thread a couple of rumors

Nothing concrete of course

• Options
    Prospal is back to the Lightning from the Flyers.
  • Options
    Rygar wrote:
    Prospal is back to the Lightning from the Flyers.

yeah for a 7th rounder and a bag of pucks ;) no surprise here, just nice to get something for him rather than him just resigning with Tampa.

Admin

• Options
    NY PJ1 wrote:
    Word out of NY today from two sources is that NY Rangers are targeting Wade Redden HEAVILY. "The Rangers are pretty confident that they can land Redden," a source told me. Other teams interested: Boston (Chara Redden Reunited?), NJ, Phoenix, and Edmonton...

Speaking of Edmonton...Look for Kevin Lowe to be VERY active this weekend. Darren Dreger from TSN spoke of a possible trade involving one-time Cup rivals Edmonton and Carolina. Darren mentioned Cole or Ruutu possibly heading to Edmonton for Pitkanen... I am hearing Ruutu is extremely possible, not so much Cole. That doesn't mean that Cole won't be moved however.

What is interesting is how this will mark the second straight draft that the Canes will attempt to grab Pitkanen. There was a trade that came REALLY close to happening last year. A three way deal that would have sent Pitkanen to the Hurricanes and included Edmonton as well, while Pitkanen was still a member of the Flyers.

Sean Avery to the Islanders? hmmmmm.....
    Bryan Murray said he tried to deal Redden's rights but had no takers.
  • Options
    Rygar wrote:
    Bryan Murray said he tried to deal Redden's rights but had no takers.
    Ray Emery and Dan Cloutier put on waivers.
    http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=241222&lid=headline&lpos=topStory_nhl