The Official Philadelphia Flyers Thread

Phantom PainPhantom Pain Posts: 9,876
edited December 2013 in All Encompassing Trip
I figured I start a new one without the Year so we can use this all the time

Take this for what its worth...

NEW YORK POST: Larry Brooks suggests that if the Philadelphia Flyers make a trade for Florida's Jay Bouwmeester that opens up some cap space and perhaps a spot or two up front that Brendan Shanahan winds up in Philly if he doesn't sign with the Rangers.

SPECTOR'S NOTE: Lots of internet chatter suggesting the Flyers are "pushing hard" for Bouwmeester but Panthers GM Jacques Martin insists he won't move the talented young blueliner if he's unable to re-sign him to a long-term contract prior to his arbitration hearing and will try again after January 1st. I say the earliest Bouwmeester gets dealt (because I think it's obvious he doesn't wish to a Panther beyond next season) is early February, when his trade value will be at its peak.

As for the Flyers, they also have to ensure they can re-sign him, and he won't come cheap (at least $6.5 million per season), plus we don't know if he even wants to play for the Flyers as he could have other teams in mind. Bouwmeester could also have his eye firmly fixed on next summer's UFA market, where he'll be able to command top dollar, perhaps as much as $8 million per season. Don't write in to me saying that he'll never get that kind of money because as we've seen the salary cap is no deterrant for auction fever amongst many NHL general managers come July 1st. Trust me, if Bouwmeester is a UFA next July, he'll get at least $8 million per.
My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• chromiamchromiam Posts: 4,114
    Bouwmeister resigned yesterday or today (1 year/ $4.5mil)... so let the speculation begin... And I do not want Shanny at all....
    This is your notice that there is a problem with your signature. Please remove it.

Admin

Social awareness does not equal political activism!

5/23/2011- An utter embarrassment... ticketing failures too many to list.
  • Phantom PainPhantom Pain Posts: 9,876
    chromiam wrote:
    Bouwmeister resigned yesterday or today (1 year/ $4.5mil)... so let the speculation begin... And I do not want Shanny at all....

Yeah I heard that also...they said thats a sure sign he's gone

I know...Shanny ??? Come on now

• NY PJ1NY PJ1 Posts: 9,533
    about time u sucka's did this :)

ill give u a bump for the hell of it

and i read that boumeis (sp) article sunday

interesting and the shanny thing is out of nowhere

boumeis will gat big cash next year
    NY PJ1 wrote:
    about time u sucka's did this :)

ill give u a bump for the hell of it

and i read that boumeis (sp) article sunday

interesting and the shanny thing is out of nowhere

boumeis will gat big cash next year

I heard he's looking for like $8mil in the off season !

Shanny rumor is crazy...we already have an aging slow guy...Knuble !

• RygarRygar Posts: 8,685

It's just a rumor.
    I wouldn't pay any attention to that stuff ;)

yea i heard that same # lots of cash flow
    Trade would take a lot of finagling to make it happen

http://www.courierpostonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080730/SPORTS04/807300327/1017/sports04

Interested in seeing this new D Man in camp....Denis Bodrov

Final Flyers game at the Spectrum... Sept 27th versus Carolina... Carolina??? That makes no sense whatsoever but I'll still be trying to get tickets to the game.
    This is your notice that there is a problem with your signature. Please remove it.

Admin

chromiam wrote:
    Final Flyers game at the Spectrum... Sept 27th versus Carolina... Carolina??? That makes no sense whatsoever but I'll still be trying to get tickets to the game.

Are you serious ????

That sucks !!

How about NYR or even BOS all the wars fought there with them !

Are you serious ????

That sucks !!

How about NYR or even BOS all the wars fought there with them !

Yep, posted on philly.com and just got an email from the Flyers.... they play Jersey, Ottawa, Isles, Carolina (home and home), Wash (home and home), and Jersey to end the preseason.

I would have expected Jersey or the Rangers, or even possibly Pittsburgh but nope.. Carolina.

Admin

chromiam wrote:
    Yep, posted on philly.com and just got an email from the Flyers.... they play Jersey, Ottawa, Isles, Carolina (home and home), Wash (home and home), and Jersey to end the preseason.

I would have expected Jersey or the Rangers, or even possibly Pittsburgh but nope.. Carolina.

Just realized you said preseason also !

I should have noticed that just by the date

Thats sucks

coach stevens smart
    NY PJ1 wrote:
    coach stevens smart

Yeah...I like the guy

He gets bashed a lot on other Boards I read but these people put way too much emphasis on the coach

He's done a good job so far..this will only be his 3rd full season

Yeah...I like the guy

He gets bashed a lot on other Boards I read but these people put way too much emphasis on the coach

He's done a good job so far..this will only be his 3rd full season

totally
  • petrocspetrocs Posts: 4,342
    Its gonna be tough but I would love to see Bryan McCabe
    Shows:
    9/24/96 MD. 9/28/96 Randalls. 8/28-29/98 Camden. 9/8/98 NJ. 9/18/98 MD. 9/1-2/00 Camden. 9/4/00 MD. 4/28/03 Philly. 7/5-6/03 Camden. 9/30/05 AC.
    10/3/05 Philly. 5/27-28/06 Camden. 6/23/06 Pitt. 6/19-20/08 Camden. 6/24/08 MSG. 8/7/08 EV Newark, NJ. 6/11-12/09 EV Philly, PA. 10/27-28-30-31/09 Philly, PA., 5/15/10 Hartford,5/17/10 Boston, 5/18/10 Newark, 5/20-21/10 MSG
    Mats Sundin's agent, J.P. Barry has been in constant communication with the Rangers because of the free agent center's interest in joining the team, according to the New York Post.
    No numbers have been exchanged, according to the Post, which said Sundin's second choice is Philadelphia.

Barry downplayed the rumor, saying there have not been increased discussions with the Rangers, according to TSN.ca.

"Everybody has been calling regularly trying to get an idea of when his timetable is. Mainly I have just told them we have talked about everything and right now it's just for him to decide," Barry told TSN.ca.

The Rangers have only around $2M in cap space and would have to shed some salary to pay Sundin in the $5M-$7M range. The Flyers are already above the salary cap.

According to the Toronto Sun, a reporter for Canada's Sportsnet channel caught up with Sundin on a golf course in Sweden and asked him when he expects to decide between retirement and returning to the NHL.

"I haven't decided yet," Sundin told Sportsnet last week, according to the Sun. "I think sometime in August I hope to come to a conclusion on what I'm going to do ... if I'm going to play or not this year."

Sundin also addressed whether the delay might affect his fitness for the coming season.

"I stay in shape. I work out all the time so I'm not worried about the conditioning part," Sundin told Sportsnet, according to the Sun.

Sundin, 37, had been expected to announce Aug. 1 whether he intended to play or retire, but Barry changed that to mean sometime in August. As a result, many believe the long time to make a decision means Sundin is leaning toward retirement.

"He's avoiding a [Brett] Favre-like mistake by taking his time," Barry told TSN.

Barry previously said six teams are vying for Sundin's services. Montreal, Toronto and Vancouver are confirmed to be pursuing him, with the Canucks' two-year, $20M offer the richest of any offer.

"He is extremely flattered by the interest, and the ongoing interest in Vancouver and Montreal in particular, but the key is making that personal decision on playing," Barry told the Vancouver Sun.
    Shows:
    9/24/96 MD. 9/28/96 Randalls. 8/28-29/98 Camden. 9/8/98 NJ. 9/18/98 MD. 9/1-2/00 Camden. 9/4/00 MD. 4/28/03 Philly. 7/5-6/03 Camden. 9/30/05 AC.
    10/3/05 Philly. 5/27-28/06 Camden. 6/23/06 Pitt. 6/19-20/08 Camden. 6/24/08 MSG. 8/7/08 EV Newark, NJ. 6/11-12/09 EV Philly, PA. 10/27-28-30-31/09 Philly, PA., 5/15/10 Hartford,5/17/10 Boston, 5/18/10 Newark, 5/20-21/10 MSG
    petrocs wrote:
    Its gonna be tough but I would love to see Bryan McCabe
    Biron's save % too high for you?
    Rygar wrote:
    Biron's save % too high for you?

lol..I take it you dont love him? I'm just feeling like we need one more defenseman
    Shows:
    petrocs wrote:
    lol..I take it you dont love him? I'm just feeling like we need one more defenseman
    Nah, I'm just kidding. McCabe doesn't make too many mistakes, but when he does they're doozies :p
    He does log a ton of game time. Sounds like he's headed to Florida to join his buddy Wade anyway.
    Rygar wrote:
    Nah, I'm just kidding. McCabe doesn't make too many mistakes, but when he does they're doozies :p
    He does log a ton of game time. Sounds like he's headed to Florida to join his buddy Wade anyway.

yeah I saw...oh well..just hope we dont land Shannahan...the man is ancient..like. Chelios
    Shows:
    petrocs wrote:
    yeah I saw...oh well..just hope we dont land Shannahan...the man is ancient..like. Chelios
    He may be old, but he's still effective.
    I think Shanny only wants to play for the Rags anyway, who I think are only 1 or 2 mil under their cap?
    Rygar wrote:
    He may be old, but he's still effective.
    I think Shanny only wants to play for the Rags anyway, who I think are only 1 or 2 mil under their cap?

we are above the cap...until Hatcher decides to not play...ugh he's killing em...his knees cant take another season
    Shows:
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,171
    Just realized you said preseason also !

I should have noticed that just by the date

Thats sucks

has to be pre-season as the Flyers have too many season tickets in the wachovia center to accommodate them all in the Spctrum. Sixers don't have that problem so they are playing a regular season game there.
    petrocs wrote:
    we are above the cap...until Hatcher decides to not play...ugh he's killing em...his knees cant take another season
    Still time to get under yet.
    pjhawks wrote:
    has to be pre-season as the Flyers have too many season tickets in the wachovia center to accommodate them all in the Spctrum. Sixers don't have that problem so they are playing a regular season game there.

its not the season tickets, its the club box and suites. There are not enough of those ementities to accomidate everyone. So the suite and club box owners are making exceptions and taking similar seats for the preseason game... bottomline, less tickets for the general public and more on StubHub, EBay, and the Flyers resale site.

Admin

petrocs wrote:
    Mats Sundin's agent, J.P. Barry has been in constant communication with the Rangers because of the free agent center's interest in joining the team, according to the New York Post.
    No numbers have been exchanged, according to the Post, which said Sundin's second choice is Philadelphia.

Barry downplayed the rumor, saying there have not been increased discussions with the Rangers, according to TSN.ca.

"Everybody has been calling regularly trying to get an idea of when his timetable is. Mainly I have just told them we have talked about everything and right now it's just for him to decide," Barry told TSN.ca.

The Rangers have only around $2M in cap space and would have to shed some salary to pay Sundin in the $5M-$7M range. The Flyers are already above the salary cap.

According to the Toronto Sun, a reporter for Canada's Sportsnet channel caught up with Sundin on a golf course in Sweden and asked him when he expects to decide between retirement and returning to the NHL.

"I haven't decided yet," Sundin told Sportsnet last week, according to the Sun. "I think sometime in August I hope to come to a conclusion on what I'm going to do ... if I'm going to play or not this year."

Sundin also addressed whether the delay might affect his fitness for the coming season.

"I stay in shape. I work out all the time so I'm not worried about the conditioning part," Sundin told Sportsnet, according to the Sun.

Sundin, 37, had been expected to announce Aug. 1 whether he intended to play or retire, but Barry changed that to mean sometime in August. As a result, many believe the long time to make a decision means Sundin is leaning toward retirement.

"He's avoiding a [Brett] Favre-like mistake by taking his time," Barry told TSN.

Barry previously said six teams are vying for Sundin's services. Montreal, Toronto and Vancouver are confirmed to be pursuing him, with the Canucks' two-year, $20M offer the richest of any offer.

"He is extremely flattered by the interest, and the ongoing interest in Vancouver and Montreal in particular, but the key is making that personal decision on playing," Barry told the Vancouver Sun.

I just read this today...not sure I like it

I would hate to get rid a young core player to make cap space

I just read this today...not sure I like it

I would hate to get rid a young core player to make cap space

Yeah well I just read that they'd probably have to trade Briere or Carter to do it....GET OUT OF HERE!
    Shows:
    petrocs wrote:
    Yeah well I just read that they'd probably have to trade Briere or Carter to do it....GET OUT OF HERE!

That sounds like an old Clarkie move

Get a wiley veteran at the expense of a young guy

Definitely wouldn't do that !

I like this guys blog...he's usually dead on

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?blogger_id=45

The impression I get of the Flyers' reported interest in Mats Sundin is that Paul Holmgren has done his due diligence on the veteran star, but the odds of him signing in Philadelphia remain low.

The only way I could see the Flyers being able to get Sundin under the cap would be if they made a series of roster moves to create the space to sign him.

The only way Jeff Carter would be traded is if the club got another established young player in return (such as Jay Bouwmeester), whom they would sign to a long-term contract that kicks for the 2009-10 season. But even if such a move were made, the 2008-09 salaries for Bouwmeester and Carter would more or less be a wash, leaving no room for Sundin.

The Flyers could deal Mike Knuble (an impending UFA who doesn't have a no-trade clause in his contract), but that still wouldn't get them into Sundin's likely salary range. Daniel Briere has a no-trade clause in his contract and carries a hefty $6.5 million cap hit per season through 2012-13. It would be very hard to trade him under those circumstances, even if the Flyers were inclined to do so.

A final option could be dealing Scott Hartnell ($4.2 million cap hit through 2012-13, does not have an NTC). That would free up considerable cap space but would leave the club rather soft on the wing unless someone like Arron Asham or Steve Downie steps into his role. While Hartnell isn't a natural scorer by any means, he's a proven 20-goal guy on top of his physical play and agitation.

Hartnell is perhaps a bit overpaid for the role he plays, but he neverthless provides a lot of the intangibles that helped the club make the strides it took last season. Subtracting Hartnell to add Sundin wouldn't necessarily get the Flyers any closer to the Stanley Cup Finals than they got last year. The more pressing need still seems to be the one for another bonafide top-three defenseman. You can win in the playoffs with Scott Hartnell as a winger on the first, second or third line. You probably won't win with Randy Jones as your default number three defenseman (which isn't a knock on Jones).

The bottom line is that I don't see a fit between Sundin and the Flyers. At least not in the salary cap age.