Options

People Of Colour Only Good For Cleaning Toilets Or Washing Dishes...

TruthmongerTruthmonger Posts: 559
edited August 2007 in A Moving Train
apparently, if you live in Toronto. Everywhere i go in my daily travels I'm struck by this one conspicuous phenomenon. In one of the most multicultural cities on the planet, where people are supposed to blind to colour, it is staggering to see the divisions in the workplace. Go to a franchaised coffee shop, go to a restaurant, go to the backrooms of hotels, both large and small, and witness discrimination at work. I used to go to this one coffee shop where all the patrons were white, and where every single employee behind the counter was someone of colour.

I'm sorry to bore people, but something needs to be said. Its appalling. I refuse to believe that all these people are there b/c thats all they're trained to do, or are capable of. I'm ashamed to live in this city at times.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    I refuse to believe that all these people are there b/c thats all they're trained to do, or are capable of. I'm ashamed to live in this city at times.

lol! Why do you refuse to believe that? What statistical basis do you have to believe that minorities, based on their skin color, should work in upper-level management?

You have no basis to believe that those minorities deserve better jobs. You're just being a bigot.
    All I know is that to see, and not to speak, would be the great betrayal.
    -Enoch Powell
  • Options
    lol! Why do you refuse to believe that? What statistical basis do you have to believe that minorities, based on their skin color, should work in upper-level management?

You have no basis to believe that those minorities deserve better jobs. You're just being a bigot.

Every time I read one of your posts I start to itch.
    Be Sound...
  • Options
    chopitdownchopitdown Posts: 2,222

I'm sorry to bore people, but something needs to be said. Its appalling. I refuse to believe that all these people are there b/c thats all they're trained to do, or are capable of. I'm ashamed to live in this city at times.

of course that's not all that they are trained to do or all they are capable of...but it would seem from your post it is all that they are doing. It comes back to the question who is "keeping them down?". The "man"? themselves? that would be the question.
    make sure the fortune that you seek...is the fortune that you need
  • Options

Thanks for the laugh. That was funny.
  • Options
    know1know1 Posts: 6,761
    apparently, if you live in Toronto. Everywhere i go in my daily travels I'm struck by this one conspicuous phenomenon. In one of the most multicultural cities on the planet, where people are supposed to blind to colour, it is staggering to see the divisions in the workplace. Go to a franchaised coffee shop, go to a restaurant, go to the backrooms of hotels, both large and small, and witness discrimination at work. I used to go to this one coffee shop where all the patrons were white, and where every single employee behind the counter was someone of colour.

You need to become color blind and not seeing people in terms of color. You're part of the problem, not the solution.
    The only people we should try to get even with...
    ...are those who've helped us.

Right 'round the corner could be bigger than ourselves.
  • Options
    chopitdown wrote:
    of course that's not all that they are trained to do or all they are capable of...but it would seem from your post it is all that they are doing.

Really, then maybe you can explain why virtually every black person I went through law school with couldn't find a job at a firm ?
  • Options
    Really, then maybe you can explain why virtually every black person I went through law school with couldn't find a job at a firm ?

i can't explain that, but from the initial post you put up you mentioned nothing about that. you kept it to the cleaning toilet jobs, so i responded in kind. If there really is some sort of discrimination going on, it really should be addressed.
  • Options
    surferdudesurferdude Posts: 2,057
    Because black clients feel more comfortable hiring white lawyers.???? Have you gone out of your way to not shop and eat at these stores and restaurants that have hiring practices you don't promote?

Know1 makes a very good point. You based your conclusion of racism on color of skin rather than looking at them as individuals and evaluating their skills, hopes and situations. Do you look at the NBA and denounce it as racist? Or do you only see racism as affecting non-whites?
    “One good thing about music,
    when it hits you, you feel to pain.
    So brutalize me with music.”
    ~ Bob Marley
  • Options
    Thanks for the laugh. That was funny.

Yeah this is pretty funny too:

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/04057/277625.stm

Minority high school graduation rate just 50%

While we're talking about funny things, we could also discuss the level of crime and drug use in minority neighborhoods. That wouldn't have anything to do with lackluster job placement would it? Oh, but of course, that would be the conservatives' faults because they're just trying to hold down those "People of Colour."

Funny stuff, huh?
    -Enoch Powell
  • Options
    chopitdown wrote:
    i can't explain that, but from the initial post you put up you mentioned nothing about that.

I didn't NEED to mention that. It was YOU who jumped to the brilliant conclusion that people are where they are b/c of where they presently are workwise. This is circular reasoning. I guess it never dawned on you that they may have done things in their lives meriting more than a cleaning job.
  • Options
    surferdude wrote:
    Because black clients feel more comfortable hiring white lawyers.???? Have you gone out of your way to not shop and eat at these stores and restaurants that have hiring practices you don't promote?

Know1 makes a very good point. You based your conclusion of racism on color of skin rather than looking at them as individuals and evaluating their skills, hopes and situations. Do you look at the NBA and denounce it as racist? Or do you only see racism as affecting non-whites?

Ya, you're right, the hopes of most people of colour are to clean toilets all day and then retire to a shithole at night. Do you think the aspirations of blacks or others are that much different than the hopes of white people ? No, they're not. Thats common dog - get real. So why do they end up at the bottom of the ladder ? Are they just lazy ? Again, I'd venture not.

There are only so many good positions in any society. There is not, as some right-wingers might suggest, good jobs for all. This belief only serves to blame people of colour by saying, in essence, "hey, there's lots of good jobs out there, how come you don't have one ? Whats wrong with you". Its a joke.
  • Options
    Yeah this is pretty funny too:

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/04057/277625.stm

Minority high school graduation rate just 50%

While we're talking about funny things, we could also discuss the level of crime and drug use in minority neighborhoods. That wouldn't have anything to do with lackluster job placement would it? Oh, but of course, that would be the conservatives' faults because they're just trying to hold down those "People of Colour."

Funny stuff, huh?

You make a good point, but even this fails to explain different things. For one thing, not all good positions come about from education. The workforce is far more complicated than that. Many people start their own businesses, or they work for their families, etc. In situations like this, there are huge grey areas where people flourish, or not, based on numerous things like connections to other relevent people, access to money, being given the benefit of the doubt, having cultural capital, etc. So education is a big factor, but its hardly the only one.
  • Options
    I didn't NEED to mention that. It was YOU who jumped to the brilliant conclusion that people are where they are b/c of where they presently are workwise. This is circular reasoning. I guess it never dawned on you that they may have done things in their lives meriting more than a cleaning job.

no, that's why i said in my first post they are trained in more than that and they are capable of more than that, it just appears from your very limited introduction that is what they are doing. It's like the person working on their masters degree working at a coffee shop. Sure they are trained for more and capable of more, but right now they are at a coffee shop for whatever reason.
  • Options
    chopitdown wrote:
    no, that's why i said in my first post they are trained in more than that and they are capable of more than that, it just appears from your very limited introduction that is what they are doing. It's like the person working on their masters degree working at a coffee shop. Sure they are trained for more and capable of more, but right now they are at a coffee shop for whatever reason.

Dude, go back to watching The View. Really.
  • Options
    Dude, go back to watching The View. Really.

so let me get this straight. I agree with you that if there is something racially discriminatory going on something should be done and yet. You want a response? Sure not all of them are there b/c that's all they can do but some are. Some may have made terrible decisions while they were growing up and now can't get ahead. Some are probably being discriminated against too. So just relax and you'll see that we're f'ing agreeing.
  • Options
    surferdudesurferdude Posts: 2,057
    Ya, you're right, the hopes of most people of colour are to clean toilets all day and then retire to a shithole at night. Do you think the aspirations of blacks or others are that much different than the hopes of white people ? No, they're not. Thats common dog - get real. So why do they end up at the bottom of the ladder ? Are they just lazy ? Again, I'd venture not.

There are only so many good positions in any society. There is not, as some right-wingers might suggest, good jobs for all. This belief only serves to blame people of colour by saying, in essence, "hey, there's lots of good jobs out there, how come you don't have one ? Whats wrong with you". Its a joke.
    See chopitdown's reply and the high school graduation figures link. By only looking at skin color rather than the individual you are seeing racism where it may not exist. Assuming racism is the cause is racist thinking on your part.
    “One good thing about music,
    when it hits you, you feel to pain.
    So brutalize me with music.”
    ~ Bob Marley
  • Options
    surferdude wrote:
    See chopitdown's reply and the high school graduation figures link. By only looking at skin color rather than the individual you are seeing racism where it may not exist. Assuming racism is the cause is racist thinking on your part.

Your theory has some merit, but only when the numbers in question are small. It breaks down when you see huge numbers of people in the same positions. I doubt that they ALL have justifiable reasons for being in these positions.
  • Options
    Drowned OutDrowned Out Posts: 6,056

I've noticed this a lot in Toronto, moreso than other cities. I would like to think that it has a lot to do with Toronto being the main influx point in Canada for immigrants. Lots of people getting on their feet. I don't think that is the only reason there is a discrepancy, but I'm sure it's a factor. There is absolutely no doubt that there are parts (if not all) of North America that discrimmination plays a HUGE roll in the workforce (I live in one). Also, as was mentioned earlier, white, upper-middle class nepotism has a lot to do with it....it's all who you know, right? Immigrants and minorities are at a big historical disadvantage.
  • Options
    I doubt that they ALL have justifiable reasons for being in these positions.

You forget that it is much easier to be lazy than it is to work hard.
    -Enoch Powell
  • Options
    You forget that it is much easier to be lazy than it is to work hard.

How could he forget? there are so many hard workin white folk on this board :p

ummm....what's your point?
  • Options
    How could he forget? there are so many hard workin white folk on this board :p

ummm....what's your point?

Things at rest wish to stay at rest, said Newton.

That is the state in which many uneducated minorities wish to remain.
    -Enoch Powell
  • Options
    Things at rest wish to stay at rest, said Newton.

That is the state in which many uneducated minorities wish to remain.

this can't be said about the uneducated in the 'majority' race as well?
  • Options
    JuberooJuberoo Posts: 472
    I guess it never dawned on you that they may have done things in their lives meriting more than a cleaning job.

If that is the case, then why are they not using their skills in such a fashion? Obviously they either like working where they are, or they have no skills for a different job. It has nothing to do with color. It has to do with education and motivation.
    Makes much more sense, to live in the present tense.

A truly liberal person is conservative when necessary.

Pro-life by choice.
  • Options
    while I wait for CW to find a way to dig himself out of that one....

anyone that doesn't think discrimmination plays a roll in the workforce should have been at the golf tournament I was at two weeks ago, where some middle-management types from another firm were laughing about "that day we fired all the niggers at once."
    I didn't get much detail before telling them they were fucked and walking away, but even if there was some kind of problem with these peoples' work habits, it's not hard to see why...When the people in power talked like that on the golf course, I'd hate to think what it would be like to be a minority working for them...I'd probably hate my job and have a real fucking attitude too.
  • Options
    this can't be said about the uneducated in the 'majority' race as well?

Indeed!! So there's no need to complain about people of colour cleaning toilets or washing dishes because just as many in the majority race are doing it too!!!

Excellent. Now this thread may die a peaceful death.
    -Enoch Powell
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,443
    Juberoo wrote:
    If that is the case, then why are they not using their skills in such a fashion? Obviously they either like working where they are, or they have no skills for a different job. It has nothing to do with color. It has to do with education and motivation.

It also has to do with being given the opportunity to get a better job.
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,443
    Indeed!! So there's no need to complain about people of colour cleaning toilets or washing dishes because just as many in the majority race are doing it too!!!

Excellent. Now this thread may die a peaceful death.

the people in the majority who do it are not taking advantage of the built-in advantage they have when seeking employment.
  • Options
    while I wait for CW to find a way to dig himself out of that one....

I'l tell you what, I'm getting kinda sick by of some of the assertions/assumptions being thrown around about race on this thread.
  • Options
    jlew24asujlew24asu Posts: 10,118
    I'l tell you what, I'm getting kinda sick by of some of the assertions/assumptions being thrown around about race on this thread.

um, you started it.
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:
    the people in the majority who do it are not taking advantage of the built-in advantage they have when seeking employment.

You want a built-in advantage??????? You want to see a really good example of a built-in advantage? How about when I apply to a college and I have good grades but they don't accept me because I'm white, but they accept a minority with worse grades than me because he's dark.

That's fucking bullshit. You liberals have no evidence to support your crap. Minorities get more of a leg up than anyone and white people get shat on by the current system. If it were up to you people, I wouldn't have even been accepted to my college so we could have more minorities with worse grades and lower scores.

I'm a white male and the rest of my life, I will be reminded of how my people have discriminated against blacks etc so I should be "happy" to give up my place because I have a "built in advantage." Fuck that.

And let's talk about the genetic aspect of intelligence while we're at it. Yes, this is a touchy subject that people don't like to talk about, but there facts regarding minority IQs that don't get reported and we are led to believe that minorities have equal IQs to whites in America. Certainly, plenty of them do, but on average they do not.

"Around the world, the average IQ for East Asians centers around 106; for Whites, about 100; and for Blacks about 85 in the U.S...."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Race_and_intelligence

How can you expect the average black person to do as well as the average white person if his IQ is on average 15 points lower? Granted, the IQ is largely a factor of upbringing in early childhood, but that does not really matter in this discussion.

How can you expect the African-American population with an average IQ of 15 less points to do as well as whites?
    -Enoch Powell