why do you believe in God or...

Comments

• CollinCollin Posts: 4,932
    i think there's truth to the phrase, "there are no atheists in foxholes", meaning that when the shit hits the fan, most people will find themselves praying to something, someONE, hoping that their prayers will at least not be in vain. i know that's been true in my case as well.

I disagree. There are plenty of atheists in foxholes, literally and figuratively.

Of course many atheists will also hope they'll survive, or be saved or whatever... it doesn't mean they believe in god or pray to god. Hoping that you'll stay alive isn't exactly something spiritual, it's just your basic instinct, I think.
    THANK YOU, LOSTDAWG!

naděje umírá poslední
  • Collin wrote:
    He said god told him to do it.

Again playing the devil's advocate here but why should I believe someone else, someone who does wonderful things when he says god told him to do it but not this guy?
    well, then it depends which god you speak of.
    This isn't the land of opportunity, it's the land of competition.
  • LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    I try to keep an open mind.. anything is possible. I'll take it as it comes.
    well, then it depends which god you speak of.

Any god. I think it's pretty obvious this guy was referring to the christian god.

But the same question could be asked about a muslim terrorist, for example, who says allah told him to kill the infidels.
    THANK YOU, LOSTDAWG!

naděje umírá poslední
  • Collin wrote:
    Any god. I think it's pretty obvious this guy was referring to the christian god.

But the same question could be asked about a muslim terrorist, for example, who says allah told him to kill the infidels.
    then i wouldn't buy it if it were the christian god. cause i spoke to him last night. and he said he didn't tell him... and i believe him cause the christian God is perfect. he never lies. bet you can't argue with that? ;)
  • writersuwritersu Posts: 1,867
    wow. when laura posted this, i'm not sure how many of us read it or even realized how bad it was for her at that time. but i can honestly say that, though i certainly have never faced what she was facing, i have had times in my life when sadness seemed to be the prevailing emotion and it was only because i was a mother that i knew i needed to hang on and get through it. i've never been suicidal, but i have had fleeting thoughts of running away somewhere and just hiding from the emotional pain.

i think there's truth to the phrase, "there are no atheists in foxholes", meaning that when the shit hits the fan, most people will find themselves praying to something, someONE, hoping that their prayers will at least not be in vain. i know that's been true in my case as well.

anyway, i still miss hippiemom. i hope there is an afterlife, and that she's lying back relaxing and enjoying herself. peace, laura.

Yeah, I never knew her other than to see her name----these past few weeks I have actually connected to people here finally. I agree with the foxhole theory; thaT IS SO TRUE. It probably also has a lot to do with the fact that when we are young, we seem so self sufficient and then, some of us anyway, find when we get older, the need for the comfort found from knowing God. again, for some of us that is true; not all.

and in regard to Hippiemom; she is living on every day through all she taught her kids and all she gave to her friends both here and in other places. (not that this was at all mentioned or implied in ANY way whatsoever) but there is no wasted momemts in life if we really live them and listen to what they say. are you familar with the poem "Desiderata"? That is my favorite poem
    about life.
    Baby, You Wouldn't Last a Minute on The Creek......

Together we will float like angels.........

In the moment that you left the room, the album started skipping, goodbye to beauty shared with the ones that you love.........
    then i wouldn't buy it if it were the christian god. cause i spoke to him last night. and he said he didn't tell him... and i believe him cause the christian God is perfect. he never lies. bet you can't argue with that? ;)

I can ;)

I saw Jesus at the supermarket yesterday and he told me you were wrong. His dad said so. How about that? :D

No, but seriously, how can anyone know whether god told this man to do it or not? You can't.
    How can anyone know whether god told a person to give up his money to the poor and help the poor for the rest of his life? You can't.

I guess that's why it's faith. There's no proof whatsoever.
    THANK YOU, LOSTDAWG!

naděje umírá poslední
  • Collin wrote:
    I can ;)

I saw Jesus at the supermarket yesterday and he told me you were wrong. His dad said so. How about that? :D

No, but seriously, how can anyone know whether god told this man to do it or not? You can't.
    How can anyone know whether god told a person to give up his money to the poor and help the poor for the rest of his life? You can't.

I guess that's why it's faith. There's no proof whatsoever.
    no you're right. you can't. it's how faith works. faith that God told him to do it... faith that my God didn't tell him.
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    I have often said (here and elsewhere), that to me God (or god, either way) is an unknown or what I call "mystery". 

Last night I finished reading Jon Krakauer's book, Under the Banner of Heaven.  I found this book difficult and slow going for a number of reasons: a plethora of names to keep track of, disturbing content related to violence and sexual abuse, and confounding reports of people blindly accepting beliefs about things as bizarre as Joseph Smith supposedly finding golden tablets inscribed with messages from God (I want whatever he was smoking- only a very small toke, please!).

But the book is well read (I'm a big Krakauer fan anyway) and I learned a lot from it.  But what really set it apart for me were the words from the very end of the book:

"I happened to find Quinn's argument compelling.  He's convinced me that those who write about religion owe it to their readers to come clean about their own theological frame of reference.  So here is mine:

I don't know what God is, or what God had in mind when the universe was set in motion.  In fact, I don't even know if God exists, although I confess that I sometimes find myself praying in times of great fear, or despair, or astonishment at a display of unexpected beauty.

There are some ten thousand extant religious sects- each with its own cosmology, each with its own answer for the meaning of life and death.  Most assert that the other 9,999 not only have it completely wrong but are instruments of evil, besides.  None of the ten thousand have yet persuaded me to make the requisite leap of faith.  In the absence of conviction, I've come to terms with the fact that uncertainty is an inescapable corollary of life.  An abundance of mystery is simply a part of the bargain- which doesn't strike me as something to lament.  Accepting the essential inscrutability of existence, in any case, is surely preferable to its opposite:  capitulating to the tyranny of intransigent belief.

And if I remain in the dark about our purpose here, and the meaning of eternity, I have nevertheless arrived at an understanding of a few more modest truths:  Most of us fear death.  Most of us yearn to comprehend how we got here, and why- which is to say, most of us ache to know the love of our creator.  And we will no doubt feel that ache, most of us, for as long as we happen to be alive."
    -Jon Krakauer, Under the Banner of Heaven,  pp 338-339.

Perfectly stated!

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,489
    People believe the entire universe came from something the size of an atom. Let’s face that there is some blind faith in all of us.  

I have been hooked on space talk and documentaries lately.    So interesting.  

• bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,489
    I need to read more.  A great comment by Krakeur.
    People believe the entire universe came from something the size of an atom. Let’s face that there is some blind faith in all of us.  

I have been hooked on space talk and documentaries lately.    So interesting.  

People being many physicists who hypothesize that "4 billion years ago the entire observable universe was roughly a million billion billion times smaller than a single atom and has been expanding ever since, to its current size of something like 100 billion galaxies."  Incomprehensible!

I need to read more.  A great comment by Krakeur.

Indeed!  His most popular books are well known but his first book is great as well- actually one of my favorites of his- Eiger Dreams.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    I don’t believe there’s some supreme being sitting on a cloud watching the world go down the toilet , I believe in here/now ..
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • I believe in here/now ..
    https://youtu.be/i703eaI2bnI
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    the only knowing is in death itself, which is ironic, since that information is no longer useful at that point. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• RYMERYME Wisconsin Posts: 1,904
    Ultimately there is is a right and a wrong answer.  So if there is 10,000+ different religions + all the seculars.  Roughly 12 Billion different souls have inhabited this Earth so far.  So about 12 billion different interpretations and opinions.
    To each his or her own.
    But There is a Black & White answer.
    One of these days we will all find out.

RYME said:
    Ultimately there is is a right and a wrong answer.  So if there is 10,000+ different religions + all the seculars.  Roughly 12 Billion different souls have inhabited this Earth so far.  So about 12 billion different interpretations and opinions.
    To each his or her own.

I've read variously that between 107 and 108 billion people have ever lived making the possible number of interpretations even higher, RYME (although many people believe much the same as others within the particular religious sect to which they belong).  The fact that there are so many interpretations to the meaning of spirituality alone points for me toward my own belief which is that it is one, big, huge, glorious mystery.  I suspect that it is the tendency of humans to shy away from uncertainty and unknowing that lead so many to not be able to accept the idea that God or a higher being is undefinable and unknowing. 

I actually find it more comforting to embrace the unknowing mystery and believe that whatever made this universe come into being,  striving for good is infinitely more worthy than doing evil.

brianlux said:
    RYME said:
    To each his or her own.

I've read variously that between 107 and 108 billion people have ever lived making the possible number of interpretations even higher, RYME (although many people believe much the same as others within the particular religious sect to which they belong).  The fact that there are so many interpretations to the meaning of spirituality alone points for me toward my own belief which is that it is one, big, huge, glorious mystery.  I suspect that it is the tendency of humans to shy away from uncertainty and unknowing that lead so many to not be able to accept the idea that God or a higher being is undefinable and unknowing. 

I actually find it more comforting to embrace the unknowing mystery and believe that whatever made this universe come into being,  striving for good is infinitely more worthy than doing evil.
    Kudos striving for good is always better than evil.
    But one of these days, we are all going to get a big time answer when this Mystery Train reaches the end of the line & we won't have to wonder anymore.
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    RYME said:
    brianlux said:
    RYME said:
    To each his or her own.

But one of these days, we are all going to get a big time answer when this Mystery Train reaches the end of the line & we won't have to wonder anymore.
    not if there's nothing. cause then you'll just be dead and you won't have been given any answer at all. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

RYME said:
    brianlux said:
    RYME said:
    To each his or her own.

If that happens, RYME, so be it.  And if it happens, I'll have a lot of explaining to do.  My best guess is that the afterlife is whatever radio waves emanate out into the universe from my brain.  A good reason to have more good thoughts than bad!

edited December 2019
    brianlux said:
    RYME said:
    brianlux said:
    RYME said:
    To each his or her own.

If that happens, RYME, so be it.  And if it happens, I'll have a lot of explaining to do.  My best guess is that the afterlife is whatever radio waves emanate out into the universe from my brain.  A good reason to have more good thoughts than bad!
    Well I think you know that I believe in the God of the 10 Commandments.
    Even if you don't believe in any God.  I think that most reasonable people would agree that If everybody tried to obey the Ten commandments, God or No God the world would be a much place.
    1.  No arguments about God
    2.  Nobody worships a stick
    3.  Nobody curses the're maker
    4.  Remember the Passover
    5.  Honor your mom & dad
    6.  No criminal homicide
    7.  No cheating
    8.  Don't steal
    9.  No slander
    10.  Be satisfied with what you have.
    What I'm trying to say is God or no God these rules would work for everyone.

If everyone would obey these 10 simple rules, there probably would not have have been 1 war.  Think about it.
    Post edited by RYME on
    edited December 2019
    And so if you die and then YOU, hear nothing, see nothing, feel nothing, black space for eternity,,, the  seculars and atheists are correct.  They win.  We are all gone.
    BUT, If we all get to the other side & our spirits&souls are fully conscious and fully aware of whats going on & where we are, and GOD Himself is standing before us asking each individual some very serious questions,,,, the Christians are right & we win!! Win what?  The Mistery Train Game!!
    Thanks for playing,,, enjoy the ride... B)
    I can't wait for the results, I think I'm going to ace this test, & I hope you all do too.
    Post edited by RYME on
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    RYME said:
    brianlux said:
    RYME said:
    brianlux said:
    RYME said:
    To each his or her own.

Even if you don't believe in any God.  I think that most reasonable people would agree that If everybody tried to obey the Ten commandments, God or No God the world would be a much place.
    5.  Honor your mom & dad
    6.  No criminal homicide
    7.  No cheating
    8.  Don't steal
    9.  No slander

If everyone would obey these 10 simple rules, there probably would not have have been 1 war.  Think about it.
    There would still be an abundance of child molestation, slavery, and racism/hatred, since those aren't mentioned.

Aaaaaand there's the fact that most of those commandments are broken, in the Bible, under God's orders or at least with His approval.  Lots of wars.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • 1ThoughtKnown1ThoughtKnown Posts: 6,155
    edited December 2019
    DELETED because this thread went off the rails.  
    Post edited by 1ThoughtKnown on
    I've always resisted the notion of commandments and, right or wrong, that's a part of my nature that will not likely change in this life time but the Ten Commandments I think make a pretty good list of Ways to Live By.

My own list of Ways to Live By would go something like this (things I would try do myself, not force on others):

1. Remember to respect this amazing planet that sustains all life.
    2.  Extend that kind of respect to every living thing and be amazed by life itself.
    3.  Do something that is useful, creative, helpful and /or beneficial.
    4.  Never lie unless doing so harms no one, benefits someone, and leaves you with no guilt.  And be honest with yourself as well.
    5.  Treat others as well and respectfully as possible and when you do act like a prick or a bitch to someone, try to remember to offset that with a good deed or kind word.
    6. Give a part of your soul to the arts.  The linear and mechanical already have there due.  Strike a balance that way.
    7.  Be satisfied with what you have [good one RYME and Moses] and maybe even learn to live with less.
    8.  When you do need to be a consumer, don't be cheap.  Durable is better for you, better for the planet.
    9.  Never stop trying to learn and grow.
    10.  Have fun and have a good sense of humor, but also know when to be serious or contemplative.

brianlux said:
    RYME said:
    brianlux said:
    RYME said:
    To each his or her own.

1 God.  I tried to casually sumerise it up above.  Probably not the right thing for me to do rgambs. 
    Here they are
    https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Exodus+20&version=KJV
    The Ten Commandments are just the foundation for good living.  The Bible deals with the issues of child molestation, rape & murder just not there.
    Even if you don't believe in any God.  I think everybody tried to obey the Ten commandments, God or No God the world would be a much place.
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    rgambs said:
    RYME said:
    brianlux said:
    RYME said:
    brianlux said:
    RYME said:
    To each his or her own.

5.  Honor your mom & dad
    6.  No criminal homicide
    7.  No cheating
    8.  Don't steal
    9.  No slander

There would still be an abundance of child molestation, slavery, and racism/hatred, since those aren't mentioned.

Aaaaaand there's the fact that most of those commandments are broken, in the Bible, under God's orders or at least with His approval.  Lots of wars.
    This was covered in the five that got dropped.

I SAW PEARL JAM
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    RYME said:
    brianlux said:
    RYME said:
    brianlux said:
    RYME said:
    To each his or her own.

1 God.  I tried to casually sumerise it up above.  Probably not the right thing for me to do rgambs. 
    Here they are
    https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Exodus+20&version=KJV
    The Ten Commandments are just the foundation for good living.  The Bible deals with the issues of child molestation, rape & murder just not there.
    Even if you don't believe in any God.  I think everybody tried to obey the Ten commandments, God or No God the world would be a much place.
    Of course it does, if by "deals with" you mean "openly endorses".  The Bible openly endorses child rape and slavery.  Period. 
    Full stop.
    End of story.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
    If you don't believe in God, then disregard the first 4.
    5 - 10 good advice for everyone, and would eliminate most problems in society.
    5.  Honor thy father and thy mother.
    6.  Thou shalt not commit murder.
    7.  Thou shalt not commit adultery.
    8.  Thou shalt not steal.
    9.  Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbor.
    10.  Thou shalt not covet.
    Have a good day!