• Options
    BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    Jason P wrote:
    A new Riddick movie is coming out.

:corn:

Katie Sackoff's in it 8-)
  • Options
    IdrisIdris Posts: 2,317
    Can't wait for the new Star Trek to come out! (Tops my list for movies I'm stoked to see this year)

Star Trek
    Man Of Steel
    Kick-ass 2
    Rush
    Now You See Me
  • Options
    Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    Newch91 wrote:
    Just watched "In the Name of the Father." Oh man, what a movie! Daniel Day-Lewis was absolutely fantastic in it.

Great flick!
    Yes! I think he's become my favorite actor. I saw "Age of Innocence" listed on demand. Will have to watch that when finals are done this week.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • Options
    musicismylife78musicismylife78 Posts: 6,117
    Whats great about DDL is the quality of the work. Probably the most selective actor in history, and every movie with the exception of The Nines was mindblowingly amazing. And The Nines really wasnt that bad in terms of his performance, it was just odd to see him in a musical.

He's one of those guys who puts his heart and soul into every project and it shows. He's in the conversation in terms of best actors of all time. I dont think he's the best of all time, but he's probably the greatest actor alive and in his prime.

And as far as his work ethic, i love reading what he did to prepare for each role, but at the end of the day, what he does and the length he goes to play the roles, make absolute sense in terms of trying to understand the characters. How could he have known why Jerry Conlin confessed to a crime he didnt commit, unless he was interrogated 9 hours, spent 3 days in a jail cell and was woken up every few hours by people banging on the walls. How else could he understand his character in The Crucible, than to actually build a house for the movie a 17th century style house, live in it, and live without modern conveniences? How else could he understand who Lincoln was than to actually become him, use his pen, use his handwriting style, use his watch etc...

I think DDL's approach to acting is alot less wierd than people make it out to be. And Brando, James Dean, Dustin Hoffman, Pacino all those guys in their prime worked the same exact way.
  • Options
    HeisenbergHeisenberg Los Pollos Hermanos Posts: 4,957
    Heisenberg wrote:
    Just went to see "Upstream Color". Not exactly sure what to make of it, but it definitely held my attention and entertained me. Shane Carruth might be the smartest man in a director's chair. If you are into experimental film, it's worth checking out.

This was a beautiful film. Check out Primer if you havent. The use of sound on this one was incredible, the last maybe 20 minutes with that droning electronic sound was gorgeous. Very incredible movie.

I love movies like this, he doesnt give a damn about explaining anything. He films a movie, and lets us decide. A true artist

Saw Primer at Ebertfest right around the time it came out. Carruth was actually there and we were slated to interview him but he had to bail because the audience Q&A ran long. The guy is a genius. On first watch, I think Primer was better but Upstream Color was pretty damn good as well.
  • Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Wc1l1DW6IE

New Tom Hanks move called "Captain Phillips" , which is based on the harrowing true story of a U.S. cargo vessel taken over by Somali pirates in 2009. The hero of the ordeal was Captain Richard Phillips, who was piloting his ship, the Maersk Alabama, off the coast of Somalia when it was boarded. This was the first successful hijacking of a ship sailing under a U.S. flag since the 19th century, and, ultimately, it did not go well for the pirates.
  • Options
    JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Florida Posts: 10,217

New Tom Hanks move called "Captain Phillips" , which is based on the harrowing true story of a U.S. cargo vessel taken over by Somali pirates in 2009. The hero of the ordeal was Captain Richard Phillips, who was piloting his ship, the Maersk Alabama, off the coast of Somalia when it was boarded. This was the first successful hijacking of a ship sailing under a U.S. flag since the 19th century, and, ultimately, it did not go well for the pirates.

Tom fucking Hanks. hell yeah.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    Nice to see that Hanks got rid of the crazy hair.
  • Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufsrgE0BYf0

Gravity, new Alfonso Cuaron movie, starring George Clooney and Sandra Bullock, Astronauts disaster movie 8-)
  • Options
    JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Florida Posts: 10,217

Gravity, new Alfonso Cuaron movie, starring George Clooney and Sandra Bullock, Astronauts disaster movie 8-)

The idea of being lost in space creeps me the fuck out. That looks good and creepy.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • Options

The idea of being lost in space creeps me the fuck out. That looks good and creepy.

At some point i would take the helmet off and let go...but what if you woke up and saw this?
    2001-black-monolith-in-bedroom.jpg?w=640
  • Options
    Watched "What's Eating Gilbert Grape?" last night. When can we get another Johnny Depp "normal" role like this one?
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,896
    Saw "42" tody. I enjoyed it. Good not great baseball movie. The guy who played Jackie Robinson was good, forget his name but he reminded me of a young Denzel Washington. I didn't even know Harrison Ford was in it. the guy he played, I couldn't tell it was him :lol:
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    EmBleveEmBleve Posts: 3,019
    Newch91 wrote:
    Watched "What's Eating Gilbert Grape?" last night. When can we get another Johnny Depp "normal" role like this one?
    Love that movie!! And yes, but he's soo good at the weird roles. :mrgreen:

Saw Argo and Django Unchained this weekend. Argo was better than I expected. Django was as good as I expected, if not better.
  • Options
    lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087

I'm looking forward to this movie ...
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • Options
    rriversrrivers Posts: 3,687
    Heisenberg wrote:
    Heisenberg wrote:
    Just went to see "Upstream Color". Not exactly sure what to make of it, but it definitely held my attention and entertained me. Shane Carruth might be the smartest man in a director's chair. If you are into experimental film, it's worth checking out.

This was a beautiful film. Check out Primer if you havent. The use of sound on this one was incredible, the last maybe 20 minutes with that droning electronic sound was gorgeous. Very incredible movie.

I love movies like this, he doesnt give a damn about explaining anything. He films a movie, and lets us decide. A true artist

Saw Primer at Ebertfest right around the time it came out. Carruth was actually there and we were slated to interview him but he had to bail because the audience Q&A ran long. The guy is a genius. On first watch, I think Primer was better but Upstream Color was pretty damn good as well.

Saw Upstream Color this weekend. I love Primer and have been looking forward to this for awhile. I was entertained, but didn't love it.
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
  • Options
    EmBleve wrote:
    Newch91 wrote:
    I agree. But I just want another normal role from him.
  • Options
    Newch91 wrote:
    EmBleve wrote:
    Newch91 wrote:
    I agree. But I just want another normal role from him.

Last "normal" role for him that i can think of was Secret Window. Which was pretty good.
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
  • Options
    Last "normal" role for him that i can think of was Secret Window. Which was pretty good.
    That long ago?? Wow! Time for one, Johnny.
  • Options
    I can't believe I haven't seen this trailer in the theaters yet, The World's End (least here in the US) :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YF-4c8U-mUI
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
  • Options
    polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    Mud http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/mud_2012/

Story about a boy looking for someone or something to believe in. Unfortunately for him - it's love. Excellent performance from the entire cast - weakest link being Reese Witherspoon. Story was simple and the characters really engaging.
  • Options
    polaris_x wrote:
    Mud http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/mud_2012/

Story about a boy looking for someone or something to believe in. Unfortunately for him - it's love. Excellent performance from the entire cast - weakest link being Reese Witherspoon. Story was simple and the characters really engaging.

saw that today, very good movie!
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
  • Options
    polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    star trek into darkness ... a big meh ... disappointed actually ... too much retreading of old star trek material imo ... great cast and effects are lost on horrible storyline and script ...
  • Options
    BLACK35BLACK35 Hanover, Ontario Posts: 22,472
    Fast & Furious 6.................not bad for what it was, I enjoyed it, some good action
    2005 - London
    2009 - Toronto
    2010 - Buffalo
    2011 - Toronto 1&2
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Cincinnati, St. Louis, Detroit
    2016 - Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Ottawa, Toronto 1
    2018 - Fenway 1&2
    2022 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2023 - Chicago 1&2
  • Options
    HeavyHandsHeavyHands Posts: 2,130
    Really looking forward to Man of Steel. I'm not sure what to expect though. I loved 300, but thought Watchmen and Sucker Punch, while visually pretty, were lacking in many areas. I hope that the Zack Snyder/Christopher Nolan team is a good fit. The preview looks awesome in scale and scope.
    "A lot more people are capable of being big out there that just don't give themselves a chance." -Stone Gossard
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    HeavyHands wrote:
    Really looking forward to Man of Steel. I'm not sure what to expect though. I loved 300, but thought Watchmen and Sucker Punch, while visually pretty, were lacking in many areas. I hope that the Zack Snyder/Christopher Nolan team is a good fit. The preview looks awesome in scale and scope.

I sort of take issue with it being PG-13. The source material never came close to PG-13. This tells me that it's probably a sensationalist reboot that could give two shits about truth, justice and the American way.

Batman, I'm fine with an R rating. From the beginning, the source material for Batman has always been dark and more grown-up than the squeaky-clean Kryptonian.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,883
    dankind wrote:
    HeavyHands wrote:

I sort of take issue with it being PG-13. The source material never came close to PG-13. This tells me that it's probably a sensationalist reboot that could give two shits about truth, justice and the American way.

Batman, I'm fine with an R rating. From the beginning, the source material for Batman has always been dark and more grown-up than the squeaky-clean Kryptonian.

I think some of the PG13 is more for the action, violence, and language. Not sure if they would have been able to get around that.

But I am hoping that it is more realistic in the sense where there are all kinds of questions about how a superior being would fit in here, and if the world would even accept him. Not one that a nation or planet would blindly love him right from the start.
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • Options
    anyone see the Lone Ranger? Hearing very bad things but part of me wants to see it :?

also hearing positive thing on Pacific Rim :thumbup:
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
  • Options
    Gonna have to check out The Wolverine sometime this weekend.
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
  • Options
    EmBleveEmBleve Posts: 3,019
    anyone see the Lone Ranger? Hearing very bad things but part of me wants to see it :?
    I haven't seen it but my aunt and her husband did; she loved it, he hated it. From what I could gather from her, it's on the comical/satirical side. So, I'm thinking I'm waiting for the rental. I want to see The Heat and/or World War Z. Something for s&g's.