Options

Movie Threads?

Comments

• Options
    iluvcatsiluvcats Posts: 5,153
    I am very behind on the movies. I checked "Premonition" with Sandra Bullock out of the library and I'm almost through it. http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/premonition/

last weekend I watched Sex and Death 101 with Simon Baker. I also watched "the love letter" (free from the library.) I love these free movies, except I bought the SB movie and now I don't know what to do with it (very dumb movie.) The love letter was similar to "somewhere in time."
    9/98, 9/00 - DC, 4/03 - Pitt., 7/03 - Bristow, 10/04 - Reading, 10/05 - Philly, 5/06 - DC, 6/06 - Pitt., 6/08 - Va Beach, 6/08 - DC, 5/10 - Bristow, 10/13 B'more
    8/08 - Ed solo in DC, 6/09 Ed in B'more,
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
  • Options
    CJMST3KCJMST3K Posts: 9,722
    Who saw THE INFORMANT? Rotten Tomatoes says it's really good.
    ADD 5,200 to the post count you see, thank you. :)
    *NYC 9/28/96 *NYC 9/29/96 *NJ 9/8/98 (front row "may i play drums with you")
    *MSG 9/10/98 (backstage) *MSG 9/11/98 (backstage)
    *Jones Beach 8/23/00 *Jones Beach 8/24/00 *Jones Beach 8/25/00
    *Mansfield 8/29/00 *Mansfield 8/30/00 *Nassau 4/30/03 *Nissan VA 7/1/03
    *Borgata 10/1/05 *Camden 5/27/06 *Camden 5/28/06 *DC 5/30/06
    *VA Beach 6/17/08 *DC 6/22/08 *MSG 6/24/08 (backstage) *MSG 6/25/08
    *EV DC 8/17/08 *EV Baltimore 6/15/09 *Philly 10/31/09
    *Bristow VA 5/13/10 *MSG 5/20/10 *MSG 5/21/10
  • Options
    iluvcatsiluvcats Posts: 5,153
    this weekend, I watched The Curious Case of Benjamin Button.

what a sad movie. I liked it though, all except for the healing scene.
    9/98, 9/00 - DC, 4/03 - Pitt., 7/03 - Bristow, 10/04 - Reading, 10/05 - Philly, 5/06 - DC, 6/06 - Pitt., 6/08 - Va Beach, 6/08 - DC, 5/10 - Bristow, 10/13 B'more
    8/08 - Ed solo in DC, 6/09 Ed in B'more,
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
  • Options
    HeavyHandsHeavyHands Posts: 2,130
    The Men Who Stare at Goats got a lot of very small details right. Fortunately, it didn't devote too much time to men actually staring at goats, as one can go to a petting zoo and do that for free on one's own time. Instead, the story advances subtly forward with some good laughs interspersed. In a few years time this may be a cult classic (if only for Jeff Bridges).

Don't see this if you genuinely think anything by Michael Bay, anything with the words "Fast" or "Furious" in the title, or movies based on 80's toy franchises offer significant contribution to the world of film.
    "A lot more people are capable of being big out there that just don't give themselves a chance." -Stone Gossard
  • Options
    petrocspetrocs Posts: 4,342
    I want to see the Men Who Stare at Goats..just saw Boondick Saints 2..fun movie in the same vein as the first movie..though the first one is far better
    Shows:
    9/24/96 MD. 9/28/96 Randalls. 8/28-29/98 Camden. 9/8/98 NJ. 9/18/98 MD. 9/1-2/00 Camden. 9/4/00 MD. 4/28/03 Philly. 7/5-6/03 Camden. 9/30/05 AC.
    10/3/05 Philly. 5/27-28/06 Camden. 6/23/06 Pitt. 6/19-20/08 Camden. 6/24/08 MSG. 8/7/08 EV Newark, NJ. 6/11-12/09 EV Philly, PA. 10/27-28-30-31/09 Philly, PA., 5/15/10 Hartford,5/17/10 Boston, 5/18/10 Newark, 5/20-21/10 MSG
  • Options
    nuffingmannuffingman Posts: 3,014
    It's been a barren cinema time for us. Most recently we saw The Soloist which was excellent despite having a blubbing wife next to me. District 9 and The Hurt Locker were good.

Looking forward to seeing;
    Harry Brown
    The Men Who Stare At Goats
    A Serious Man
    Sherlock Holmes
    The Informant!
  • Options
    nuffingman wrote:

I'm kind of torn on these two. Part of me wants to see them. Then the other part of me that is sure the disappointment troll is lurking in the dark corners of the theater reminds me that I don't care about "spectacle premieres" or 19th century detectives... Who am I kidding. I'm probably going to see both anyway.
    "A lot more people are capable of being big out there that just don't give themselves a chance." -Stone Gossard
  • Options
    intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    petrocs wrote:
    I want to see the Men Who Stare at Goats..just saw Boondick Saints 2..fun movie in the same vein as the first movie..though the first one is far better
    Just saw this last night and i agree.

some horrible acting, plot holes, and a subpar ending.

All that said i still enjoyed it.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    i want to know, wtf is up with movies this season? :evil:
    usually the autumn is *the* season for my fave flicks...and this year...... :|
    sure, there's a serious man....but, what else?
    seems like the disaster and holiday movies are now coming out in the fall instead of thanksgiving and later.....and all the usual good fall flicks, well, they're just not out there.

and yes, i haven't even made it out to see a serious man b/c it's not playing at our local fave place - that we have passes to use up. it's looking like the men who stare at goats will be the choice this sunday. hope it's good, great line-up of actors, but yes....there hasn't been a flick out in a while that i am truly excited to see. we were interested in couples retreat, the previews looked funny/promising, but as too often happens with films of that nature...must've gone over the top and bland at the same time, horrid reviews. *sighs* i will say, an education looks good...but otherwise, i am just not seeing the line-up of fall films that normally are out about this time, enticing me to the theatre...
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• Options
    rriversrrivers Posts: 3,688
    I saw "A christmas Carol" and it was good. Amazing animation. if you see it, see it in 3D.

I have a bootleg copy of "Paranormal Activity" that my wife and I have been watching in bed the last two nights. It's been fun and my wife is scared. She asked me to turn it off both nights because she was freaked out.
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
  • Options
    strummersstrummers Posts: 2,611
    The White Ribbon - amazing film! Go see it!!
    http://www.wishlistfoundation.org
    http://www.strummersphotography.com

<object width="360" height="300"><param name="movie" value="http://www.redbubble.com/swf/redbubble.swf"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><PARAM NAME=FlashVars VALUE="url=http://www.redbubble.com/people/strummers/works/visual.atom?campaign=sales_widget&mode=slideshow"><embed src="http://www.redbubble.com/swf/redbubble.swf&quot; FlashVars="url=http://www.redbubble.com/people/strummers/works/visual.atom?campaign=sales_widget&mode=slideshow&quot; type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="360" height="300"></embed></object>
  • Options
    I just saw that movie "Once." I really, really didn't expect it to be as good as it was. In fact, I didn't have any expectations because I'd only heard about it once before. <-- No pun intended.

That scene where the two principle characters are in the music shop playing one of the Guy's songs for the first time is absolutely brilliant.

I have to say that it has one of the strongest soundtracks I've heard in a long time as well.
  • Options
    ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    I've been on a movie binge this week and had a surprising amount of success with my choices.

Before Sunrise/Before Sunset- Had never seen either of them, so I watched them both back to back. Parts of it were kind of over-the-top hipster and full of angst. But overall I thought it was very good and very touching without being insincere.

I'm a fan of Richard Linklater's movies. Have you seen 'Waking Life'?
  • Options
    ClaireackClaireack Posts: 13,561
    nuffingman wrote:
    It's been a barren cinema time for us. Most recently we saw The Soloist which was excellent despite having a blubbing wife next to me. District 9 and The Hurt Locker were good.

Harry Brown
    A Serious Man
    Sherlock Holmes
    The Informant!

Not sure about Sherlock Holmes - saw the trailor and it looked like they'd really sexed it up, kind of have a very fixed idea of what he should be like. Maybe I need to challenge that.
  • Options
    Claireack wrote:
    nuffingman wrote:

Harry Brown
    A Serious Man
    Sherlock Holmes
    The Informant!

Not sure about Sherlock Holmes - saw the trailor and it looked like they'd really sexed it up, kind of have a very fixed idea of what he should be like. Maybe I need to challenge that.

Avatar and Sherlock Holmes look awful.

Robert Downey Jr. is the most overrated actor ever. Jude Law is awful too.
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,936
    rrivers wrote:
    Claireack wrote:
    nuffingman wrote:

Harry Brown
    A Serious Man
    Sherlock Holmes
    The Informant!

Avatar and Sherlock Holmes look awful.

Robert Downey Jr. is the most overrated actor ever. Jude Law is awful too.

I thought the trailers to Avatar and Sherlock Holmes looked pretty good. No movies are really catching my eye as of yet that I really want to see. Last one I saw was Where The Wild Things Are. It was pretty good.
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    FYI, Adventureland = boring. Unfortunately.

Not overly funny given the cast they had.

If you want awkward (which this movie had) and funny, just watch a re-run of Freaks & Geeks.

They both have Bill Haverchuck, btw.
  • Options
    Has anyone seen Paranormal Activity? Is it worth the media hype? Horror movies don't generally scare me at all, but ghost stories... that's something else.

Make your life a mission - not an intermission. - Arnold Gasglow
  • Options
    embraceembrace Posts: 849
    Men Who Stare at Goats IMO was good. Definately some good belly chuckles.

Dry humor - prob not a good choice for the masses if you can't find a way to chuckle about the ME situation or if you don't have a good general understanding about the goings on.
    got a car...got some gas...oh let's get out of here-get out of here fast...
    I hope you get this message but your not home...I will be there in just a minute or so...
    I want to go but I want to go with you.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime. -MT

I've had enough, said enough, felt enough. I'm fine, still in it.
  • Options
    embrace wrote:
    Men Who Stare at Goats IMO was good. Definately some good belly chuckles.

Dry humor - prob not a good choice for the masses if you can't find a way to chuckle about the ME situation or if you don't have a good general understanding about the goings on.

funny, i was just going to post about this flick...and say, don't waste your $$$. hahaha.
    there were a few laughs,. but yes....a few. not enough to warrant a good rating imo. and so it goes...

btw - i love dry humor, but yea....
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• Options
    intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    I am going to try to see ninja assasin this week :)

Black Dynamite was pretty damn funny! :lol:

I saw boondock saints 2 and it was good, but not as good as the orginal for me.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    strummersstrummers Posts: 2,611
    Saw Moon again at the weekend, great movie - up there for movie of the year I reckon!
    http://www.wishlistfoundation.org
    http://www.strummersphotography.com

<object width="360" height="300"><param name="movie" value="http://www.redbubble.com/swf/redbubble.swf"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><PARAM NAME=FlashVars VALUE="url=http://www.redbubble.com/people/strummers/works/visual.atom?campaign=sales_widget&mode=slideshow"><embed src="http://www.redbubble.com/swf/redbubble.swf&quot; FlashVars="url=http://www.redbubble.com/people/strummers/works/visual.atom?campaign=sales_widget&mode=slideshow&quot; type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="360" height="300"></embed></object>
  • Options
    Has anyone seen Paranormal Activity? Is it worth the media hype? Horror movies don't generally scare me at all, but ghost stories... that's something else.

A friend at work got a copy of it and my wife and I watched it over three nights last week. I enjoyed it but it's not that scary. My wife thought it was very scary. The couple is very annoying. We both really hated the guy the first time we watched it and then hated the girl even more the second time (we watched it with friends Saturday night.) We had a different ending than the one in the theater and the theater one sounds better.
  • Options
    strummers wrote:
    Saw Moon again at the weekend, great movie - up there for movie of the year I reckon!

Great film. Was kinda hoping it wouldn't explain everything and leave more up to interpiration but great none the less.

Watched 'State of play' last night, pretty good for what it is - Ben Affleck is pretty shite but luckily he ain't in it too much.

Going to see Harry Brown on thurs, looking forward to it.
  • Options
    tinkerbelltinkerbell New Zealand Posts: 2,161

I hate horror movies - I'm a total wuss! A friend saw this and it totally freaked him out! Even gave him nightmares!! Then the dick had to tell me all about it - which in turn gave me nightmares! I am NOT going to watch it but if you like scary movies I think you'll like it.
    all you need is love, love is all you need
  • Options
    strummers wrote:

Watched 'State of play' last night, pretty good for what it is - Ben Affleck is pretty shite but luckily he ain't in it too much.

I enjoyed State of Play. I agree it is good for what it is. It's the perfect movie to rent, fun without having to think much. I watched that and Obsessed back to back. Both fun for what they are.
  • Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,421
    I like that movie that was mentioned sometime in this thread.
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    LONGRDLONGRD Posts: 6,036
    Anybody seen the Hurt Locker yet?

Best film of the year! It should get some Oscar buzz come December/January.
    One of the best war films I've seen in a long time.

Not sure if it's still in the theaters or on DVD yet. Hard to tell with indie films.
    PJ- 04/29/2003.06/24,25,27,28,30/2008.10/27,28,30,31/2009
    EV- 08/09,10/2008.06/08,09/2009
  • Options
    FifthelementFifthelement Lotusland Posts: 6,921
    LONGRD wrote:
    Anybody seen the Hurt Locker yet?

Best film of the year! It should get some Oscar buzz come December/January.
    One of the best war films I've seen in a long time.

Not sure if it's still in the theaters or on DVD yet. Hard to tell with indie films.

I've been waiting to see it. Saw a preview on IFC and was blown away. According to my local Blockbuster, it's being released on DVD 10 January 2010.
    "What the CANUCK happened?!? - Esquimalt Barber Shop
  • Options
    really looking forward to the hurt locker. on my netflix waitlist. :)

anyone see couples retreat?
    the previews looked funny, but it got such shit reviews. we went and saw the men who stare at goats instead. not too impressed with that either. however, we WILL be hitting up the theatre again sometime next week, and the pickins' are slim. one friend saw and said she enjoyed it. obviously, i don't expect brilliance...but is it entertaining at all? maybe should just go and see an education as that looks good. i just think hubby is in the mood for a light comedy.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...