Options

Movie Threads?

Comments

• Options
    flirting with disaster is funny
  • Options
    polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    Holtzmn wrote:
    I also really enjoyed it, I thought the 2.5 hours went by rather quickly. The actors who played Hans and Shoshanna were excellent, I had never seem them before and was really impressed. Brad and the Basterds brought some comic relief to the film, I think some people thought the whole movie would be them bashing Nazis so they might be disappointed it wasn't.

great film ... christopher waltz was kick ass as hans landa ... like most tarantino movies - the film actually hinges on the dialogue and mood ... with 3 primary languages being spoken, i can see many not feeling a flow to the film ...
  • Options
    CJMST3KCJMST3K Posts: 9,722
    Inglorious Basterds was very enjoyable. Knowing it was "long" to begin with helps a lot! The movie at parts is paced very slowly, but I think that was intentional. I recommend this movie.
    ADD 5,200 to the post count you see, thank you. :)
    *NYC 9/28/96 *NYC 9/29/96 *NJ 9/8/98 (front row "may i play drums with you")
    *MSG 9/10/98 (backstage) *MSG 9/11/98 (backstage)
    *Jones Beach 8/23/00 *Jones Beach 8/24/00 *Jones Beach 8/25/00
    *Mansfield 8/29/00 *Mansfield 8/30/00 *Nassau 4/30/03 *Nissan VA 7/1/03
    *Borgata 10/1/05 *Camden 5/27/06 *Camden 5/28/06 *DC 5/30/06
    *VA Beach 6/17/08 *DC 6/22/08 *MSG 6/24/08 (backstage) *MSG 6/25/08
    *EV DC 8/17/08 *EV Baltimore 6/15/09 *Philly 10/31/09
    *Bristow VA 5/13/10 *MSG 5/20/10 *MSG 5/21/10
  • Options
    iluvcatsiluvcats Posts: 5,153
    I got P.S. I Love You from the library. I only watched part of it. I like Gerard Butler but that movie was dumb.
    9/98, 9/00 - DC, 4/03 - Pitt., 7/03 - Bristow, 10/04 - Reading, 10/05 - Philly, 5/06 - DC, 6/06 - Pitt., 6/08 - Va Beach, 6/08 - DC, 5/10 - Bristow, 10/13 B'more
    8/08 - Ed solo in DC, 6/09 Ed in B'more,
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
  • Options
    libragirllibragirl Posts: 4,632
    iluvcats wrote:
    I got P.S. I Love You from the library. I only watched part of it. I like Gerard Butler but that movie was dumb.

I thought it was kind of corny. I just saw the Time Traveler's Wife. I liked it more then I thought I would. It was kind of unbelievable.
    These cuts are leaving creases. Trace the scars to fit the pieces, to tell the story, you don't need to say a word.
  • Options
    iluvcatsiluvcats Posts: 5,153
    libragirl wrote:
    iluvcats wrote:

I thought it was kind of corny. I just saw the Time Traveler's Wife. I liked it more then I thought I would. It was kind of unbelievable.

we just saw TTW this weekend. i'm still listening to the audio book, but i kind of put it away now that i saw the movie. the movie needed to explain more.
    9/98, 9/00 - DC, 4/03 - Pitt., 7/03 - Bristow, 10/04 - Reading, 10/05 - Philly, 5/06 - DC, 6/06 - Pitt., 6/08 - Va Beach, 6/08 - DC, 5/10 - Bristow, 10/13 B'more
    8/08 - Ed solo in DC, 6/09 Ed in B'more,
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
  • Options
    libragirllibragirl Posts: 4,632
    iluvcats wrote:
    libragirl wrote:
    iluvcats wrote:

we just saw TTW this weekend. i'm still listening to the audio book, but i kind of put it away now that i saw the movie. the movie needed to explain more.

Yes, I agree with you. There seemed to some holes. I want to read the book to see if it explains things better. I wanted to download it on my kindle but alas it's not available on the kindle. :x
    These cuts are leaving creases. Trace the scars to fit the pieces, to tell the story, you don't need to say a word.
  • Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    i looking forward to 9 and Zombieland

9 looks to have the potential to be a real good movie

I'm a sucker for zombie movies
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    it is 09/09/09 & 9 comes out today. But my movie theatre is not showing it at 9pm :evil:

Ah oh well either way i'm excited to see this. It is a short movie only 80 minutes long. I've read some bad reviews, but i want to keep an open mind i hope it is cool!
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    ClaireackClaireack Posts: 13,561
    intodeep wrote:
    81 wrote:
    intodeep wrote:
    I saw inglorious basterds today and it was okay a little long and a bit underwhelming if you ask me.

i liked it. was a bit long at 2.5 hours, but it didn't feel like it dragged. it was fun, funny, witty, creative.

i also watched District 9. very dissapointing. i thought it was going to be alot better than what actuallly was. the characters had no depth. very predictable story

That is funny because I actually liked District 9 a lot!

We saw District 9 this weekend and we liked it too, (me, hubby & son (he passes for 15)). Someone else mentioned about thinking/not thinking about the movie, I guess I thought during the film, how people are with other people/races/creatures. Anyway like it, thinks it's no 1 in film charts in UK at the mo.
  • Options
    craigbcraigb Posts: 806
    Holtzmn wrote:
    Horos wrote:
    intodeep wrote:
    I saw inglorious basterds today and it was okay a little long and a bit underwhelming if you ask me.
    I really enjoyed it. Two thumbs up! Long but I never was thinking 'when will this be over.'

I also really enjoyed it, I thought the 2.5 hours went by rather quickly. The actors who played Hans and Shoshanna were excellent, I had never seem them before and was really impressed. Brad and the Basterds brought some comic relief to the film, I think some people thought the whole movie would be them bashing Nazis so they might be disappointed it wasn't.

I thought it was absolutely glorious.
    I loved the tension Tarantino built in each scene.
    The acting was great.
    To be honest, I felt like I could take on a rhinoceros after I saw the film.
    "Speak clearly if you speak at all; carve every word before you let it fall"

Los Angeles 10.7.2009
  • Options
    The ChampThe Champ Posts: 4,063
    Highly recommend 'In the Loop.' Smart and hilarious: http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/in_the_loop/
    'I want to hurry home to you
    put on a slow, dumb show for you
    and crack you up
    so you can put a blue ribbon on my brain
    god I'm very, very frightening
    and I'll overdo it'
  • Options
    intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    I enjoyed 9

Not revolutionary but a cool quick movie.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    nuffingmannuffingman Posts: 3,014
    Just seen

Inglorious Basterds - enjoyed it
    District 9 - enjoyed it
    Hurt Locker - enjoyed it. Except for sitting in front of 2 morons that talked for the first 20 minutes. We moved.
  • Options
    district 9 some people clapped at the end of the film

it wasn't THAT good
  • Options
    Inglorious Bastards was the cats ass. Just thinking about brad pitt saying arivaderche makes me giggle
    >>>>
    >
    ...a lover and a fighter.
    "I'm at least half a bum" Rocky Balboa

http://www.videosift.com/video/Obamas-Message-To-American-Indians

Edmonton, AB. September 5th, 2005
    Vancouver, BC. April 3rd, 2008
    Calgary,AB. August 8th, 2009
  • Options
    CJMST3KCJMST3K Posts: 9,722
    Saw Extract. I'm a huge Arrested Development and Jason Bateman fan... man was I disappointed in this movie. Save yourself this one. Catch it on TBS one day. You'll be mildly amused for 5 minutes at most before switching the channel.

What else is out there now? Nothing seems good... I'm more into comedies or good action films, but nothing really out now.
    ADD 5,200 to the post count you see, thank you. :)
    *NYC 9/28/96 *NYC 9/29/96 *NJ 9/8/98 (front row "may i play drums with you")
    *MSG 9/10/98 (backstage) *MSG 9/11/98 (backstage)
    *Jones Beach 8/23/00 *Jones Beach 8/24/00 *Jones Beach 8/25/00
    *Mansfield 8/29/00 *Mansfield 8/30/00 *Nassau 4/30/03 *Nissan VA 7/1/03
    *Borgata 10/1/05 *Camden 5/27/06 *Camden 5/28/06 *DC 5/30/06
    *VA Beach 6/17/08 *DC 6/22/08 *MSG 6/24/08 (backstage) *MSG 6/25/08
    *EV DC 8/17/08 *EV Baltimore 6/15/09 *Philly 10/31/09
    *Bristow VA 5/13/10 *MSG 5/20/10 *MSG 5/21/10
  • Options
    I've been watching a lot of 1940's film noir movies, "Detour", "Scarlet Street", "Our of the Past", "Double Indemnity", and "To Have and Have Not" to name a few. Other ones I'm waiting on are "Laura", "M", and "The Third Man".

Not saying there aren't any good new movies, but there are none that can compare with these, and the pace and feel of them is great.
    "Music, for me, was fucking heroin." eV (nothing Ed has said is more true for me personally than this quote)

Stop by:
    http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=14678777351&ref=mf
  • Options
    Has anyone seen the move 'The Strangers' with Liv Tyler? I happened across that last week on HBO and it scared the shit out of me. Even my husband said "wow, this movie is too suspenseful". For that, I recommend it as a good time. :lol: Not cinematic genius, but a really good movie if you like the horror, suspense stuff.
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,312
    emptyglass wrote:

it wasn't THAT good

did they think the actors would hear them?
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    rriversrrivers Posts: 3,688
    libragirl wrote:
    iluvcats wrote:

What was unbelievable? The whole time travelling thing?
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
  • Options
    The Champ wrote:
    Highly recommend 'In the Loop.' Smart and hilarious: http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/in_the_loop/

I want to see this! It's actually on demand right now and I just have been waiting to find time to watch the whole thing.
  • Options
    emptyglass wrote:

it wasn't THAT good

I don't think the actors can hear when you clap.
  • Options
    Has anyone seen the move 'The Strangers' with Liv Tyler? I happened across that last week on HBO and it scared the shit out of me. Even my husband said "wow, this movie is too suspenseful". For that, I recommend it as a good time. :lol: Not cinematic genius, but a really good movie if you like the horror, suspense stuff.

I enjoyed it and your review is spot on. Not the greatest ever but enjoyable and creepy. Some of those scenes where she doesn't know they are in the house with her are really well done. I'm getting out of this post because I am the only one still up at my house right now :)
  • Options
    This past weekend I watched "State of Play" and "Obsessed". My wife and I really enjoyed both of them. You have to go into them with an open mind and not expect "All the President's Men" or "Fatal Attraction". Just fun movies to watch on a Saturday night.
  • Options
    emptyglass wrote:

it wasn't THAT good

did they think the actors would hear them?

people are SO WEIRD ;)
  • Options
    Anyone ever see 'The Ninth Configuration?' I absolutely loved this movie. Sort of a cult classic from 1980.
    Everything not forbidden is compulsory and eveything not compulsory is forbidden. You are free... free to do what the government says you can do.
  • Options
    I've been watching a lot of 1940's film noir movies, "Detour", "Scarlet Street", "Our of the Past", "Double Indemnity", and "To Have and Have Not" to name a few. Other ones I'm waiting on are "Laura", "M", and "The Third Man".

Not saying there aren't any good new movies, but there are none that can compare with these, and the pace and feel of them is great.

The third man was a great film.

Ever seen 'In a lonley place'? It stars humphrey bogart. Its not the same kinda thing really but you might like it.

Oh yeah just watched 'Mega shark VS Giant Octopus'

Oh its as bad as it sounds. Go buy it :D Great life.
  • Options
    HeavyHandsHeavyHands Posts: 2,130
    Saw District 9 and enjoyed it way more than I thought I would.

Saw Quarantine and it was much more suspenseful than I thought it would be.

Not too crazy about the whole "hand held camera" style ala Blair Witch or Cloverfield though. If you've got to see one of the two, go with District 9. It actually transitions from hand held to standard pretty masterfully.

On the whole I'd recommend both.
    "A lot more people are capable of being big out there that just don't give themselves a chance." -Stone Gossard
  • Options
    roadhouse is a killer movie