The new 'I f***in' feeel like talking about 'Riot Act' thread.

13468924

Comments

  • yosi1yosi1 Posts: 3,272
    Only 4,850 posts to go, folks! Keep it up! ;)

    Finished Riot Act and have Yield on - maybe I should go post by you...
    you couldn't swing if you were hangin' from a palm tree in a hurricane.
  • ElkaElka Posts: 43
    Only 4,850 posts to go, folks! Keep it up! ;)

    Interloper :)



    Nice to see I Am Mine and You Are show up in the setlist last night. I have yet to see/hear You Are live, so I can only imagine.....
  • grace6697grace6697 Posts: 1,191
    you can't really *want* to talk about riot act, right?
    take your money and your drugs.
  • ElkaElka Posts: 43
    grace6697 wrote:
    you can't really *want* to talk about riot act, right?

    Well at least until my meds kick in. :)
  • fanch75fanch75 Posts: 3,736
    do you all want me to post my 2003-written drunken review of riot act?
    Do you remember Rock & Roll Radio?
  • ElkaElka Posts: 43
    fanch75 wrote:
    do you all want me to post my 2003-written drunken review of riot act?

    I'm holding out hope for a drunken review of "Pearl Jam"
  • fanch75fanch75 Posts: 3,736
    Elka wrote:
    I'm holding out hope for a drunken review of "Pearl Jam"

    understood
    Do you remember Rock & Roll Radio?
  • grace6697grace6697 Posts: 1,191
    fanch75 wrote:
    do you all want me to post my 2003-written drunken review of riot act?


    you want to post that thing (again) so badly it's sick.

    :)
    take your money and your drugs.
  • fanch75fanch75 Posts: 3,736
    grace6697 wrote:
    you want to post that thing (again) so badly it's sick.

    :)

    Go fry me up some meat and stfu
    Do you remember Rock & Roll Radio?
  • ElkaElka Posts: 43
    fanch75 wrote:
    understood

    I actually did get quite a few laughs out of your review. After spending the last three and a half years defending this album to just about everyone I know, what else can you really do but have a sense of humor about it.
  • grace6697grace6697 Posts: 1,191
    fanch75 wrote:
    Go fry me up some meat and stfu


    it's official. we have totally taken over here as well. back to the yield thread!
    take your money and your drugs.
  • fanch75fanch75 Posts: 3,736
    Elka wrote:
    I actually did get quite a few laughs out of your review. After spending the last three and a half years defending this album to just about everyone I know, what else can you really do but have a sense of humor about it.

    that's awesome!
    Do you remember Rock & Roll Radio?
  • hugepjfanhugepjfan Posts: 108
    Elka wrote:
    Interloper :)



    Nice to see I Am Mine and You Are show up in the setlist last night. I have yet to see/hear You Are live, so I can only imagine.....

    I hope they don't abandon LBC, All or None or Thumbing.
    HugePJFan
    "...You try it, I give you the room, you try..."
  • ElkaElka Posts: 43
    hugepjfan wrote:
    I hope they don't abandon LBC, All or None or Thumbing.

    Thumbing is definitely one of my faves. Some of Ed's most heartfelt lyrics I think.
  • You know, I'm listening to Avocado over and over again; however, I've still got a whole bunch of Riot Act songs playing over and over again whenever I leave Avocado alone.

    That, to me, makes it a great album. Agree?

    Only 40 million zillion to go folks, keep at it.
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

    - the great Sir Leo Harrison
  • yosi1yosi1 Posts: 3,272
    grace6697 wrote:
    you can't really *want* to talk about riot act, right?

    Actually, we do. Or at least I do, cause this album rocks my socks off.
    you couldn't swing if you were hangin' from a palm tree in a hurricane.
  • yosi1yosi1 Posts: 3,272
    Its pretty depressing how the last two shows, Albany and Hartford had no songs from RA played at them. If any of the shows I go to are Riot Act-less, I will be a little disappointed. I just can't believe how little love this album gets! Its so fucking good. At least play one song off of it...
    you couldn't swing if you were hangin' from a palm tree in a hurricane.
  • grace6697grace6697 Posts: 1,191
    not playing RA is the best idea ever.
    take your money and your drugs.
  • XiangXiang Posts: 73
    Riot Act has to be one of the most criminally underrated albums of all time. It still ranks as my favorite Pearl Jam release. It has some of their best lyrics and most emotional songs. Love the production also!
  • yosi1yosi1 Posts: 3,272
    grace6697 wrote:
    not playing RA is the best idea ever.

    Theres no reason for you to post here. I don't go to the Yield discussion and say negative things about Yield. If you want to post here, please post positive.
    you couldn't swing if you were hangin' from a palm tree in a hurricane.
  • yosi1yosi1 Posts: 3,272
    Xiang wrote:
    Riot Act has to be one of the most criminally underrated albums of all time. It still ranks as my favorite Pearl Jam release. It has some of their best lyrics and most emotional songs. Love the production also!

    Agreed. What are your favorite songs on this album?
    you couldn't swing if you were hangin' from a palm tree in a hurricane.
  • prytocorduroyprytocorduroy Posts: 4,355
    Riot Act for me is by far not their best album - however - I still love it. In fact, it ranks above Ten for me and #5 out of all PJ albums (including Lost Dogs and Avocado).

    Some of my favorite tracks are: Cant Keep, Save You, I am Mine, You Are, Get Right, 1/2 Full, and All or None.
  • grace6697grace6697 Posts: 1,191
    yosi wrote:
    Theres no reason for you to post here. I don't go to the Yield discussion and say negative things about Yield. If you want to post here, please post positive.


    you're right. i'm sorry. :)
    take your money and your drugs.
  • XiangXiang Posts: 73
    yosi wrote:
    Agreed. What are your favorite songs on this album?

    My top 3 would be Cropduster, 1/2 full and Love Boat Captain which also happens to be my all time favorite Pearl Jam song. As a whole the album works so well. Every song has it's place and delivers it's own emotions. Even Arc really adds to the overall feel of Riot Act. Along with Vitalogy I think it's the most personal set of songs they have done. Feels like that to me anyway... :)
  • yosi1yosi1 Posts: 3,272
    Xiang wrote:
    My top 3 would be Cropduster, 1/2 full and Love Boat Captain which also happens to be my all time favorite Pearl Jam song. As a whole the album works so well. Every song has it's place and delivers it's own emotions. Even Arc really adds to the overall feel of Riot Act. Along with Vitalogy I think it's the most personal set of songs they have done. Feels like that to me anyway... :)

    Yea I totally get that feeling to me too. I also feel like the songs really flow well together. And personally, I know people will disagree with this, I really love how Ed's voice sounds on this album. I think it sounds strong and I really like the fact that there isn't too much screaming. Also, people seem to complain that there aren't any real rockers, but what about Save You, Ghost, I Am Mine, 1/2 Full, Get Right and even a whole bunch more. I love this album, as you can tell, I just think its amazing.
    you couldn't swing if you were hangin' from a palm tree in a hurricane.
  • Save MeSave Me Posts: 147
    I love Riot Act. It's one of my favorites. Save You is one of my favorite PJ songs of all time (hence my screen name) and Green Disease is up there too. I Am Mine is also a great song as well as LBC and Can't Keep. I think this album was a musical evolution for PJ. I think lyrically it's on a very high level. I think the one thing it suffers from is that it's a bit too long. I don't think it needed to be 15 songs. If it was more like Avocado (12, not including WR) I think it would be tighter and would flow a bit better.

    I'm suprised they're not playing anything off of it on the tour. I would think they'd play Save You. It's such an awesome rocker and I hope they play when I see them in NJ!
    "The Wild is chasing after me. Hot on my trail won't leave me alone. All I can see is your blood right in front of me, and I can't kill The Wild." Me
  • Save MeSave Me Posts: 147
    Sorry for the double post. My computer was crapping out on me and I wasn't sure if the first post went thru.
    "The Wild is chasing after me. Hot on my trail won't leave me alone. All I can see is your blood right in front of me, and I can't kill The Wild." Me
  • XiangXiang Posts: 73
    Get Right is a total Rocker! It could have fit onto Avocado! I love Ed's vocal here also. They are more subdued like the rest of the album. Very inspired sounding and sad also. There is definitely a deliberate flow to Riot Act. I am surprised there weren't as many outtakes on Lost Dogs as Binaural had.
  • prytocorduroyprytocorduroy Posts: 4,355
    Xiang wrote:
    Get Right is a total Rocker! It could have fit onto Avocado! I love Ed's vocal here also. They are more subdued like the rest of the album. Very inspired sounding and sad also. There is definitely a deliberate flow to Riot Act. I am surprised there weren't as many outtakes on Lost Dogs as Binaural had.

    This is not Riot Act related really, but Binaural had so many cuts (in my opinion) because songs like Fatal, Sad, Sweet Lew, and Education wouldn't have fit in the album. The mood for those songs isn't Binaural if that makes sense. That also explains Down. That wouldn't have fit on Riot Act (in my opinion) because of how upbeat and happy it sounds. Not like the album at all. But Riot Act had two more songs than Binaural so it just means they wrote more "Riot Act" songs during the recording sessions. I could be wrong though.
  • XiangXiang Posts: 73
    danny72688 wrote:
    This is not Riot Act related really, but Binaural had so many cuts (in my opinion) because songs like Fatal, Sad, Sweet Lew, and Education wouldn't have fit in the album. The mood for those songs isn't Binaural if that makes sense. That also explains Down. That wouldn't have fit on Riot Act (in my opinion) because of how upbeat and happy it sounds. Not like the album at all. But Riot Act had two more songs than Binaural so it just means they wrote more "Riot Act" songs during the recording sessions. I could be wrong though.

    Oh yes! That's what I mean. I figured since Riot Act had such a direct feel to it that there would be more leftover songs that were not included since they did not fit in. Just like with Binaural...
Sign In or Register to comment.