A GAME OF THRONES - Discussion Thread

Comments

• shepshep Posts: 5,759
    Really liked the introduction of Dario last night... while not quite what is described in the books, the actor seems suitable to me.

Looking forward to the next two episodes... I think the next one is going to have the big scenes with falling action in the final episode of the season maybe? Who knows, but the anticipation of what I know is coming is killing me... :lol:...
    Houston, Texas... Believe it or not, there are 7 million people here... must be a couple of fans who'd love to see you play.
  • Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    So, I'm going to guess that this season will end with Joffreys big wedding.

The whole wedding scene with Joffrey, Sansa, Tyrion, Tywin, etc was fantastic.
    I'll have to watch this episode again later today.
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Posts: 9,894
    shep wrote:
    Really liked the introduction of Dario last night... while not quite what is described in the books, the actor seems suitable to me.

Looking forward to the next two episodes... I think the next one is going to have the big scenes with falling action in the final episode of the season maybe? Who knows, but the anticipation of what I know is coming is killing me... :lol:...

I liked Darrio is well, seems they made him more of a believable character as to how he is described in the books(on a show with Dragons, magic, dire wolves etc :lol: )

There is so much good stuff in the 3rd book still to come, hard to believe we are only about 1/2 way through it.
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...

That was great stuff around Tyrion's wedding, Joffery is so easy to hate. Lots of stuff still to come.
  • vant0037vant0037 Posts: 6,108
    I read the books through book 5 a few years ago, so I don't remember it all sequentially, but isn't Daario and Yunkai much later in the series than books 3-4? It seems like it was...
    1998-06-30 Minneapolis
    2003-06-16 St. Paul
    2006-06-26 St. Paul
    2007-08-05 Chicago
    2009-08-23 Chicago
    2009-08-28 San Francisco
    2010-05-01 NOLA (Jazz Fest)
    2011-07-02 EV Minneapolis
    2011-09-03 PJ20
    2011-09-04 PJ20
    2011-09-17 Winnipeg
    2012-06-26 Amsterdam
    2012-06-27 Amsterdam
    2013-07-19 Wrigley
    2013-11-21 San Diego
    2013-11-23 Los Angeles
    2013-11-24 Los Angeles
    2014-07-08 Leeds, UK
    2014-07-11 Milton Keynes, UK
    2014-10-09 Lincoln
    2014-10-19 St. Paul
    2014-10-20 Milwaukee
    2016-08-20 Wrigley 1
    2016-08-22 Wrigley 2
    2018-06-18 London 1
    2018-08-18 Wrigley 1
    2018-08-20 Wrigley 2
    2022-09-16 Nashville
    2023-08-31 St. Paul
    2023-09-02 St. Paul
    2023-09-05 Chicago 1
    2023-08-31 Wrigley 2
    2023-09-15 Fenway 1
    vant0037 wrote:
    I read the books through book 5 a few years ago, so I don't remember it all sequentially, but isn't Daario and Yunkai much later in the series than books 3-4? It seems like it was...

no... it happens in book 3...

I read them all last year... Dani and her story line is barely in book 4, she pretty much disappears for the entire novel... they pick her up in Yunkai again at the beginning of book 5 and that's when all that shit starts happening again over there...

if i remember correctly anyway...
    Houston, Texas... Believe it or not, there are 7 million people here... must be a couple of fans who'd love to see you play.
  • rearviewrossrearviewross Posts: 3,055

That was great stuff around Tyrion's wedding, Joffery is so easy to hate. Lots of stuff still to come.

Yeah, the guy that plays Joffery may have a hard time getting another role after this. He is too good and too easy to hate. People probably come up to him on the street and yell at him. :lol:
    Forced to endure, what I cannot forgive.
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    shep wrote:
    vant0037 wrote:

I read them all last year... Dani and her story line is barely in book 4, she pretty much disappears for the entire novel... they pick her up in Yunkai again at the beginning of book 5 and that's when all that shit starts happening again over there...

They merged the Stormcrows (who daario orginally was with) and the Broken Swords together. That is the only major difference. I assume to make it easier on viewers as things are confusing already.

I actually did not think Daario came into play until later as well, but i went back and looked and he does indeed enter around the time of Yunkai
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • JK_LivinJK_Livin Posts: 7,365
    shep wrote:
    vant0037 wrote:

Tread lightly with the future info. :nono:
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
    I was just thinking about it Davos is easily one of my favs he just always seems to be the guy that knows whats right.

Can we get Davos on the iron throne???
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
    intodeep wrote:
    I was just thinking about it Davos is easily one of my favs he just always seems to be the guy that knows whats right.

It seemed a little odd that Davos would've been in the room with Stannis and Melisandre after all that happened.
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
    JK_Livin wrote:
    intodeep wrote:

It seemed a little odd that Davos would've been in the room with Stannis and Melisandre after all that happened.

Well, Davos is the guy that grounds Stannis, and Davos mentioned he wanted proof of her power ( even though it seems he already saw it once)
  • Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    intodeep wrote:

st_zps75c1333b.jpg
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
    intodeep wrote:

st_zps75c1333b.jpg
    Ask you and shall receive. AWESOME

King Davos indeed. It would be such a story. didnt he grow up in flea bottom? A smuggler laughed at by fellow knights known only as the onion knight. From the slums of Flea Bottom to the Iron Throne of king's landing. Perhaps this is george's master plan all along.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • PearlJamaholicPearlJamaholic Posts: 2,018
    intodeep wrote:
    The tree with the face is a weirwood tree. These trees are holy trees for the folks in the north who worship the old gods. It is where they go to pray. When the men of nights watch take their vows they do it in front of a Weirwood tree. They've shown them a few times.

Not really true, the Night's Watch swear their vows to whatever gods they pray to. Jon Snow took his at the Weirwoods cause he believes in the old gods, most of the kingdom south of Winterfell believe in the new gods, even the Tully's. Catelyn mentions in the 1st season to Ned that after all the years she feels like a stranger to the old gods still.
  • Mamasan23Mamasan23 Posts: 16,388
    This pretty Daario upsets me deeply. Sigh.

Two weeks until the wedding :)
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    Mamasan23 wrote:

hmmm I wonder if... :think:
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    intodeep wrote:
    The tree with the face is a weirwood tree. These trees are holy trees for the folks in the north who worship the old gods. It is where they go to pray. When the men of nights watch take their vows they do it in front of a Weirwood tree. They've shown them a few times.

Not really true, the Night's Watch swear their vows to whatever gods they pray to. Jon Snow took his at the Weirwoods cause he believes in the old gods, most of the kingdom south of Winterfell believe in the new gods, even the Tully's. Catelyn mentions in the 1st season to Ned that after all the years she feels like a stranger to the old gods still.
    Thats true good point. I guess more was trying to mention that we've seen them a few times in the series before, but you are right you swear the vows to whoever your gods are. I think a lot of the men come from the north so the weirwood tree is used often.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • rearviewrossrearviewross Posts: 3,055
    Mamasan23 wrote:

Hey, welcome back. Now just waiting to hear from Dimitris. Guy went from 100 posts a day to 3 weeks of silence. :?

So this guy apparently was ugly in the books?
    Forced to endure, what I cannot forgive.
  • uninnocent-uninnocent- Posts: 5,959
    Yeah, the guy that plays Joffery may have a hard time getting another role after this. He is too good and too easy to hate. People probably come up to him on the street and yell at him. :lol:

He's said that after his role as Joffrey concludes he plans to retire from professional acting.

He's said that after his role as Joffrey concludes he plans to retire from professional acting.

Good. :lol: I just can't see how the Bran story is going to intersect with any other story line right now. Hodor!
    Tom O.
    -The Writer
    Mamasan23 wrote:

Hey, welcome back. Now just waiting to hear from Dimitris. Guy went from 100 posts a day to 3 weeks of silence. :?

So this guy apparently was ugly in the books?
    In the books he is tyroshi (i assume he is in the show too). Tyrosh is a free city (not free in the sense of no slaves but not associated with Westeros. It is like Yunkai, Astapor, Pentos, and the other places Dany has been) Most of the people from there are pretty flamboyant by nature.

in the books Daario has a gold tooth and a three pronged goatee dyed blue. He also dyed his hair blue. the mustache portion of his face is dyed gold.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
    JK_Livin wrote:

Good. :lol: I just can't see how the Bran story is going to intersect with any other story line right now. Hodor!

do you think bran is exempt from becoming lord of winterfell or anything else because of his injury? I ask this cause from the beginning hes been a favourite of mine and that hasnt changed. he is a strong character and too easily dismissed due to his inability to walk. I think this might be a mistake.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • ldent42ldent42 Posts: 7,859
    intodeep wrote:
    in the books Daario has a gold tooth and a three pronged goatee dyed blue. He also dyed his hair blue. the mustache portion of his face is dyed gold.

Damn that sounds like an interesting looking character. Also doesn't sound expensive to do so I wonder why they changed it.
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
    do you think bran is exempt from becoming lord of winterfell or anything else because of his injury? I ask this cause from the beginning hes been a favourite of mine and that hasnt changed. he is a strong character and too easily dismissed due to his inability to walk. I think this might be a mistake.

Is he able to reproduce? Him being so young i don't think we know this, but as long as everything works i don' think it would be an issue. Him not being able to have an heir could be problematic though.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
    intodeep wrote:

Is he able to reproduce? Him being so young i don't think we know this, but as long as everything works i don' think it would be an issue. Him not being able to have an heir could be problematic though.

im not talking about him being able to have an heir.. im talking about HIM being able to be an heir. and besides there is no guarantee that robb or jon or sansa or arya or even rickon or any other 'heir' to winterwell can provide an heir to carry on after them.. and there is no evidence that bran cannot provide an heir, so your argument is moot. let us not forget whose son joffrey is and how his ascension has circumvented the hereditary protocol.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    intodeep wrote:

im not talking about him being able to have an heir.. im talking about HIM being able to be an heir. and besides there is no guarantee that robb or jon or sansa or arya or even rickon or any other 'heir' to winterwell can provide an heir to carry on after them.. and there is no evidence that bran cannot provide an heir, so your argument is moot. let us not forget whose son joffrey is and how his ascension has circumvented the hereditary protocol.

Not sure if it answers your question, but in the books, Margery and Loras Tyrell have an older brother Willas, who is also crippled, and he is considered the heir to Highgarden. I imagine if that is so, Bran could be the heir to Winterfell.
    intodeep wrote:

Not sure if it answers your question, but in the books, Margery and Loras Tyrell have an older brother Willas, who is also crippled, and he is considered the heir to Highgarden. I imagine if that is so, Bran could be the heir to Winterfell.

thank you. and its not a question of whether bran could be an heir to winterfell.. he is an to heir winterfell even ahead of his elder brother jon. he is, as we speak, in fact 2nd in line to inherit the lordship of winterfell.*

* I have not seen beyond the 2nd episode of series 3 so I have no knowledge of what has or hasn't happened in regards to any of the characters residing in westeros
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    intodeep wrote:

I was going to post that same response, but thought it might be a spoiler to someone reading the books.... and I got tongue lashed for that last week.... :lol:

but based on what you just posted, I would assume that yes, Bran in theory is still heir to winterfell after Rob and before Rickon, then followed by Sansa and Arya...
    edited May 2013
    shep wrote:
    I was going to post that same response, but thought it might be a spoiler to someone reading the books.... and I got tongue lashed for that last week.... :lol:

but based on what you just posted, I would assume that yes, Bran in theory is still heir to winterfell after Rob and before Rickon, then followed by Sansa and Arya...

it is a spoiler only if you suggest it is.. but I was speaking in generalisations knowing that some people haven't read the books. as I have previously stated I have always been a fan of bran cause I sense a strength in him that others dismiss due to his inability to walk. I read enough(hell I read a lot) to know that anything is possible especially in the fantasy genre that game of thrones falls into. also I tend to be a little bit biased when it comes to certain characters.. and bran is one of those characters. im not saying he will be lord of winterfell but I will not discount the possibility.
    Post edited by catefrances on
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say