A GAME OF THRONES - Discussion Thread

Comments

• DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,425
    intodeep wrote:
    lol seriously Stannis had to be like um okay not the reaction i expected.

Yeah, but maybe his wife would've been more upset if she thought he was gonna get any more Red Woman action.
  • YardenYarden Posts: 820
    Zach Galifianakis on SNL - Game of Game of Thrones
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xg_Bs7Q2Y9I
  • ldent42ldent42 Posts: 7,859
    :o Littlefinger is a little shit!
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
    Jesus!!!! It just keeps getting better.
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    I thought this was the weakest of the season so far, but my standards are high. With them splitting Storm of Swords into two seasons I kind of figured we'd get a couple episodes like this. Just moving people into place.

Love the Jon/Ygritte scenes. Probably my favorite from this episode.

I liked the Vary's/Littlefinger i'm here for the realm/i'm here to create chaos. I thought that was the most honest each of them could be about their purposes. Perhaps a little too honest IMHO but whatever.

That is a fancy knife sam has :geek:

Tywin and Olenna going at it.. PURE LANNISTER GOLD.

I am okay with Gendry I'll pull up the book thread to voice my complaints since it would not make sense here.

Melisandra to Arya.... we will meet again :o ???
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Better DanBetter Dan Posts: 5,684
    Another episode I really enjoyed. From reading the description, I was a bit disappointed it didn't look like we would be getting any Dany scenes but there was so much good stuff going on that I didn't miss her at all. The Tywin scene was great as always, as was finding out who really tried to have Tyrion killed. The Littlefinger scene / monologue was also a highlight. Every time I see him on screen, I think back to his words in season 1 "I fuck them." I also loved seeing the scale of the wall.

I just have two questions: I don't think the show has been too clear on why they are going to the other side of the wall? Is it to escape the white walkers or to invade? I do remember the king of the north saying that he got all the wildlings together by saying they would all die, but is there more to it? Where did he and the other wildlings go? Also, is that Lord Bolton who has Jamie? If so, it seems like he is willing to betray Robb by letting Jamie go. Is there a reason for this beyond the gold?

Only real complaint is the Theon scene. Nothing really wrong with it, but I really don't like that they are dragging it out all season long. There was really nothing learned there (again) and I felt like the time could have been used on something better. I also would have liked to have seen Tyrion break the news to Sansa.
    2003: San Antonio, Houston, Dallas, Seattle; 2005: Monterrey; 2006: Chicago 1 & 2, Grand Rapids, Cleveland, Detroit; 2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa; 2009: Austin, LA 3 & 4, San Diego; 2010: Kansas City, St. Louis, Columbus, Indianapolis; 2011: PJ20 1 & 2; 2012: Missoula; 2013: Dallas, Oklahoma City, Seattle; 2014: Tulsa; 2016: Columbia, New York City 1 & 2; 2018: London, Seattle 1 & 2; 2021: Ohana; 2022: Oklahoma City
    Better Dan wrote:
    Another episode I really enjoyed. From reading the description, I was a bit disappointed it didn't look like we would be getting any Dany scenes but there was so much good stuff going on that I didn't miss her at all. The Tywin scene was great as always, as was finding out who really tried to have Tyrion killed. The Littlefinger scene / monologue was also a highlight. Every time I see him on screen, I think back to his words in season 1 "I fuck them." I also loved seeing the scale of the wall.

I just have two questions: I don't think the show has been too clear on why they are going to the other side of the wall? Is it to escape the white walkers or to invade? I do remember the king of the north saying that he got all the wildlings together by saying they would all die, but is there more to it? Where did he and the other wildlings go? Also, is that Lord Bolton who has Jamie? If so, it seems like he is willing to betray Robb by letting Jamie go. Is there a reason for this beyond the gold?

Only real complaint is the Theon scene. Nothing really wrong with it, but I really don't like that they are dragging it out all season long. There was really nothing learned there (again) and I felt like the time could have been used on something better. I also would have liked to have seen Tyrion break the news to Sansa.

That is Lord Bolton that has Jaime Lannister. I have no further comment on your question not spoiling anything

You are right we don't know much about why they are going to the wall because in the show they have not revealed more then you have expressed. Part of that is them not trusting jon completly with their plans. so again i'll keep my mouth shut.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • EnkiduEnkidu Posts: 2,996
    Who was the dead chick in the end? I read the books and maybe I was tired last night, but that was confusing.

WAY too much Theon torture. But I felt that way in the book.

Agree about JonSnow (I love the way Ygritte says his name) and Ygritte scenes being the best.
  • pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Posts: 9,894
    Enkidu wrote:
    Who was the dead chick in the end? I read the books and maybe I was tired last night, but that was confusing.

Agree about JonSnow (I love the way Ygritte says his name) and Ygritte scenes being the best.

The dead woman was Ros, the red haired woman from the last two seasons that was with Littlefinger and was informing Varys what he was doing. Littlefinger handed her over to Joffery.
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
    Enkidu wrote:

That was the prostitute, Ros. I honestly think it had as much to do with Tyrion as it did Baelish getting rid of one of Varys' spiders.

To me the Theon torture seems like too much b/c we don't see him for a few weeks then when we do, we expect the storyline to move forward. I wonder if they were trying to make the connection between him and Roose Bolton a little more obvious, with the contraption that Theon is strapped to and the X sigil in the background at Bolton's camp.

I just thought this was a fantastic episode. Reading alot of mixed feelings about it. I think the story, the small hints and the way it all unfolds is the big draw to the story. Out of the last 3 weeks, I feel like this one moved the most story lines towards some resolution and the next steps the best.

The only real gripe is the end scene with Jon and Ygritte seemed a little cheesy. Then again I haven't read the books so maybe it mirrored those pretty closely. It just felt a little out of line with the way most episodes end.
    ....and oh yeah, "face, tits, balls"
  • Black DiamondBlack Diamond Posts: 25,107
    DewieCox wrote:
    ....and oh yeah, "face, tits, balls"
    :lol:
    Laughed at loud ... literally when that happen...

Wondering if the fact that the torturer went after Theon's pinky or "little finger" was a hint.
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • pjradiopjradio Posts: 6,704
    guessing that dagger that Sam has, is something important.

also, when Tyrion found out that it was Joffrey who ordered him killed, he asked Cersei if he was still in danger. Cersei said probably, but not by Joffreys doing. Am I missing something? Who else wants Tyrion dead that badly? Or am I just reading too much into it.
    aqo2t.jpg
  • DiRtyFranK38DiRtyFranK38 Posts: 3,131
    Littlefinger's speech gave me chills... I called a long time ago that I think he'd be a huge dangerous player in the GOT that would really come to a head in late seasons.

I still don't know what I think about lord of light/Melissandre... is it the true god? is it sorcery? is it good or bad? i just do not know. I love the brotherhood without banners though.
    2006: Hartford
    2008: MSG 1, Hartford, Mansfield 2, Ed Solo NYC 1
    2009: London (O2), Philly 1, 2, 3, & 4
    2010: Hartford, Boston, MSG 1 & 2
    2011: Ed Solo Hartford
    2012: Philly (MIA Fest)
    2013: Worcester 2, Brooklyn 1 & 2, Hartford
  • PearlJamaholicPearlJamaholic Posts: 2,018
    intodeep wrote:

was this in the book?

i must say i really like how they are doing the theon scenes. just enough to make it sick but not going overboard with it. cutting the skin off the bone...that was something.

meera reed, glad to see she got some camera time, but where is her frog spear? how cool would arya and meera be as a team of northern girls?
  • Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    Didnt someone say pages back, that the guy who had Theon was Lord Boltons son?

He said he was a Karstark, or is that generally the same thing?
    Or did I hear that part of the convo wrong?
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
    intodeep wrote:

That is Lord Bolton that has Jaime Lannister. I have no further comment on your question not spoiling anything

You are right we don't know much about why they are going to the wall because in the show they have not revealed more then you have expressed. Part of that is them not trusting jon completly with their plans. so again i'll keep my mouth shut.
    Arent they going to the Wall because the Wildling King wants a piece of the Iron Throne as well?
  • Mamasan23Mamasan23 Posts: 16,388

All in good time :)

That shit about Melisandre taking Gendry was not in the books. I hope they're not doing what I think they're doing.
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
  • Mamasan23Mamasan23 Posts: 16,388
    Also....sword swallower bahahhaah! Oh how I love the Queen of Thorns!
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
    edited May 2013

He said he was a Karstark, but then told Theon that he(creepo) was a liar.

I just started reading the first book today. Didn't really think about it, but I just got the connection between the direwolves and their owners. No idea how it plays out in the books, but it seems like the fates of each are kinda intertwined. Am I the last person to notice this, or am I making too much of a few coincidences. The Ned/mother wolf connection is obvious, but the others kinda snuck up on me.
    Post edited by DewieCox on
    DewieCox wrote:

Ok, wasnt sure about that part.
  • rearviewrossrearviewross Posts: 3,055
    Mamasan23 wrote:
    Also....sword swallower bahahhaah! Oh how I love the Queen of Thorns!

Yeah, that cracked me up too. Tywin is a son of a bitch.
    Forced to endure, what I cannot forgive.
    DewieCox wrote:

I just started reading the first book today. Didn't really think about it, but I just got the connection between the direwolves and their owners. No idea how it plays out in the books, but it seems like the fates of each are kinda intertwined. Am I the last person to notice this, or am I making too much of a few coincidences. The Ned/mother wolf connection is obvious, but the others kinda snuck up on me.
    I think there is a connection.

Each wolf takes after their owner or does the wolf mold their owner? Def a connection though
    Rickon- Shaggy Dog- both are wild and feral we see this more in the books
    Bran-Summer- Not much shown in the tv show i have some opinions on how they connect, but i won't share them since the show hs not gone that far
    Arya-Nymeria- Nymeria is out there running with a wild pack of wolfs leading them. Arya is a wild wolf for sure they are both similar the question is will arya grow even more like nymeria it seems that way
    Sansa- Lady- Lady was a gentle wolf just like sansa. The question is Sansa always had more Tully in her than stark. With Lady dying was that symbolic of her stark side dying? I think you could argue it.
    Rob-Grey Wolf- I don't have much here but Grey Wolf is fiercely loyal in the books They are not showing this in the show. He is also a great in combat which Rob is as well
    Jon Snow- Ghost- Both are quiet. Both are the "black sheep" Both are awesome.

I've always felt they had connections for sure
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
    intodeep wrote:

was this in the book?

i must say i really like how they are doing the theon scenes. just enough to make it sick but not going overboard with it. cutting the skin off the bone...that was something.

meera reed, glad to see she got some camera time, but where is her frog spear? how cool would arya and meera be as a team of northern girls?

no it was not because they made this entire scene up for the show. They are replacing Gendry for the other bastard Arya was with in the book. Making it more simplistic for the viewers.

I thought the same about Meera and ther spear. It needs to make an appearance!

Arya and Meera teaming up would be very cool.

On a side note along similar lines of girls from the north kicking ass the next Dunk and Egg novel will be out this year and it will be about the Shewolves of Winterfell. It's not Lyanna it is before her time so it is other female starks that kick ass and fight. Should be a good read as all the other dunk and eggs have been.

(i squeeeed a little when Stannis daughter mention Dunk and Egg to davos!)
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • ldent42ldent42 Posts: 7,859
    Enkidu wrote:

I watched them on the Jonathan Ross show on Youtube the other day (For those interested:http://youtu.be/qFKxSdVb9y0) hearing real life Ygritte speak was almost diappointing. As Jonathan Ross put it, 'that's just about the posh-est voice I've ever heard'.

I have been wondering what is up with the wolves. I know I'm probably forgetting reasons for this happening but in the beginning the wolves were like kind of a big deal and now they're just nowhere to be seen. Disappointing. I like wolves. Even cgi ones.

I really like the Brianne and Jamie scenes. They're like that unlikely pair of allies that just work well together. Like those cop movies. :corn:
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • rearviewrossrearviewross Posts: 3,055
    duska3419 wrote:

I watched them on the Jonathan Ross show on Youtube the other day (For those interested:http://youtu.be/qFKxSdVb9y0) hearing real life Ygritte speak was almost diappointing. As Jonathan Ross put it, 'that's just about the posh-est voice I've ever heard'.

:lol: That host is pretty funny. That was a funny interview. Doggy fashion :lol: Love the subtle difference between English and American.
    Forced to endure, what I cannot forgive.
    DewieCox wrote:
    I just thought this was a fantastic episode. Reading alot of mixed feelings about it. I think the story, the small hints and the way it all unfolds is the big draw to the story. Out of the last 3 weeks, I feel like this one moved the most story lines towards some resolution and the next steps the best.

The only real gripe is the end scene with Jon and Ygritte seemed a little cheesy. Then again I haven't read the books so maybe it mirrored those pretty closely. It just felt a little out of line with the way most episodes end.

yeah, the final scene was pretty cheesy but it's cool seeing Jon & Yigritte's relationship evolving..
    it was cool seeing Osha and Meera but when do we get to know Meera better?
    all in all a good episode, but it felt like it was just about moving things into place for following episodes and nothing more.
    love the queen of thornes.
  • Better DanBetter Dan Posts: 5,684
    Yarden wrote:
    DewieCox wrote:

yeah, the final scene was pretty cheesy but it's cool seeing Jon & Yigritte's relationship evolving..
    it was cool seeing Osha and Meera but when do we get to know Meera better?
    all in all a good episode, but it felt like it was just about moving things into place for following episodes and nothing more.
    love the queen of thornes.

Why is she called the queen of thorns? Has the show addressed her as such?
    2003: San Antonio, Houston, Dallas, Seattle; 2005: Monterrey; 2006: Chicago 1 & 2, Grand Rapids, Cleveland, Detroit; 2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa; 2009: Austin, LA 3 & 4, San Diego; 2010: Kansas City, St. Louis, Columbus, Indianapolis; 2011: PJ20 1 & 2; 2012: Missoula; 2013: Dallas, Oklahoma City, Seattle; 2014: Tulsa; 2016: Columbia, New York City 1 & 2; 2018: London, Seattle 1 & 2; 2021: Ohana; 2022: Oklahoma City
    Better Dan wrote:

Why is she called the queen of thorns? Has the show addressed her as such?

Rose is the Tyrell house sigil.
    sword-swallowers.gif