lump on your lymph node? updated: it's cancer.

Comments

• CHANGEinWAVESCHANGEinWAVES Posts: 10,169
    I just got back from dinner with them. Apparently it's stage 2 cancer, and he's pretty determined to NOT do chemo. :(
    "I'm not present, I'm a drug that makes you dream"
  • Cinnamon GirlCinnamon Girl Posts: 1,854
    I just got back from dinner with them. Apparently it's stage 2 cancer, and he's pretty determined to NOT do chemo. :(

The hardest part may be supporting his choices about treatment.
    05-10-06, 08-05-07, 06-14-08 , 08-12-08(EV), 06-11-09(EV), 06-12-09(EV), 08-21-09, 05-10-10, 09-11-11, 09-12-11, 07-16-13, 07-19-13, 10-12-13, 10-21-13, 10-22-13,

The hardest part may be supporting his choices about treatment.
    yes, this is going to be hard. The only person I know that denied Chemo was my father-in-law and He died from prostate cancer. :(
    On a more positive note, I've finally decided on what tattoo to get for my dad :)

can't wait to draw it up and get it! I'll post it when it's done... I think he'll LOVE IT! :D
  • pearljgirl2010pearljgirl2010 Posts: 3,428
    On a more positive note, I've finally decided on what tattoo to get for my dad :)

can't wait to draw it up and get it! I'll post it when it's done... I think he'll LOVE IT! :D

glad you decided on something!! I'm sure he'll love it...and also, i agree with Miggy--supporting a decision that you may not agree with will be hard, but necessary...one step at a time!
    Need a tour Travel Agent??? Pick me :-)

Whatever you are, be a good one --Lincoln
  • JP33JP33 Posts: 1,348
    Pray to Jesus ...........he will help your father........but you have to have total faith in him to work .....I mean 100 percent faith........please do that ..........Josh
  • kcherubkcherub Posts: 961
    Hey...the decision to have chemo (or for me, any treatment at all) is really hard. On the day of my surgery, which was only (hahaha, only) a lumpectomy, I refused to even get out of the car to go in to the hospital. I was scared, but more than that--angry. I know all the things that I was thinking and feeling, but I was only 34, and I have no idea how your Dad is feeling at his age. Did he say "why" he did not want chemo, or did I miss that in a previous post? Hang in there...
    I still want you all to "take care"--I am just damn tired of typing it.

http://www.youtube.com/user/kcherub#p/a/u/0/N-UQprRqSwo
    kcherub wrote:
    Hey...the decision to have chemo (or for me, any treatment at all) is really hard. On the day of my surgery, which was only (hahaha, only) a lumpectomy, I refused to even get out of the car to go in to the hospital. I was scared, but more than that--angry. I know all the things that I was thinking and feeling, but I was only 34, and I have no idea how your Dad is feeling at his age. Did he say "why" he did not want chemo, or did I miss that in a previous post? Hang in there...
    Thank you for sharing your experience....

He hasn't said too much on why exactly he doesn't want it, but I believe it's just that he cannot deal with the thought of both radiation AND chemo right now. He hasn't even fully accepted the radiation idea... And all it entails.... Permanent loss of taste buds, deterioration of his jaw, etc. I know how much of a shock that was for him so I assume the thought of chemo is too much to consider now.

But then again he's not very open about it all so it could be any reason.
  • kcherubkcherub Posts: 961
    Are they wanting to do radiation now, and then chemo later? Or, are they wanting to do radiation now since your Dad isn't open to chemo? I know it varies from cancer to cancer, but usually they do not do them at the same time. However, it also depends upon how agressively they want to stop the cancer in it's tracks. I had radiation after chemo, just to "cleanse" the area most likely to recur. I felt that the chemo was more important for ME, as mets elsewhere scare the crap out of me. No one dies from breast cancer contained in the breast, you know? Did I miss a post regarding how it was staged? Stage II in BC is usually due to the size of the tumor, Stage III is a the size of the tumor and lymph node involvement. Like I said, all cancers are different, and I am not an expert on anything other than BC. :) Sorry for all of the questions. I am so sorry you and your family are going through this, but you will get through it!!!
    I still want you all to "take care"--I am just damn tired of typing it.

http://www.youtube.com/user/kcherub#p/a/u/0/N-UQprRqSwo
    I had dinner with my dad and he talked about how he doesn't want to do Chemo and how he really doesn't want to do radiation..... also how he doesn't want to be around my mom right now cause she's pushing him to jump into treatment. It was hard to sit there and just listen instead of shaking him and yelling.... DO CHEMO AND RADIATION!!! DO WHAT EVER IT TAKES!!! But i know that's not what he needs... he just needs someone to listen.
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,283
    I had dinner with my dad and he talked about how he doesn't want to do Chemo and how he really doesn't want to do radiation..... also how he doesn't want to be around my mom right now cause she's pushing him to jump into treatment. It was hard to sit there and just listen instead of shaking him and yelling.... DO CHEMO AND RADIATION!!! DO WHAT EVER IT TAKES!!! But i know that's not what he needs... he just needs someone to listen.

So sorry to hear that.

I've personally been involved with hundreds of patients who have gone through the exact same thing. You want him to do the right thing and it's frustrating to hear him say those things. Do not get upset with him. Stay positive and tell him you support whatever he decides. You'd be surprised at how much more effective this is than the alternative.
    mca47 wrote:

So sorry to hear that.

I've personally been involved with hundreds of patients who have gone through the exact same thing. You want him to do the right thing and it's frustrating to hear him say those things. Do not get upset with him. Stay positive and tell him you support whatever he decides. You'd be surprised at how much more effective this is than the alternative.
    thank you. All I asked of him was to not rule anything out... to keep an open mind. He agreed, but I'd still rather see him embrace treatment and go at the cancer full force. What can I say... he's stubborn... and he passed it on to me. :roll: :lol:
    Went to dinner with my parents again tonight (after talking to my mom numerous times all day). Seems my dad has decided he no longer wants radiation, and no chemo. He thinks 'alternative routes' will be better and wants time to research them. All the while the Dr.'s are calling my mom begging her to take him and get him started on treatment. She's worn thin and all this has take the wind out of me. At dinner I tried to just bring it up a little but was quickly shot down with anger on his end.

She looks eaten up inside. He's a mess and has trouble swallowing now, though he swears the all veggie diet is shrinking the tumor.

She wants him to do all he can and he wants to wake up cured without any 'toxic' approaches..... I want to fix it for them both...but it's driving me insane. I've told then to go to separate support groups and/or a therapist... But they both would rather call me and lay it all out on me. I'm not complaining, just getting worn out and finding it hard to be strong when with them when they call me so much when I'm away from them.

**sorry sometimes I just need to put all these words out there....

Oh and a friend told me yesterday that she had a dream I called her in the middle of the night to go to the hospital with me cause my dad was dying. Why tell me that!?
  • Cinnamon GirlCinnamon Girl Posts: 1,854
    Oh and a friend told me yesterday that she had a dream I called her in the middle of the night to go to the hospital with me cause my dad was dying. Why tell me that!?

Geez...not helping! :evil:
    05-10-06, 08-05-07, 06-14-08 , 08-12-08(EV), 06-11-09(EV), 06-12-09(EV), 08-21-09, 05-10-10, 09-11-11, 09-12-11, 07-16-13, 07-19-13, 10-12-13, 10-21-13, 10-22-13,
  • we're a little closer to convincing my dad to get treatment. He's being laid off on the 1st of the month and we're hoping that since he doesn't need to worry about working while doing radiation that he'll reconsider it.
  • How is he feeling lately Brandi? How about yourself and your mother? Thinking about you and your family and sending good vibes your way :)
    "What the CANUCK happened?!? - Esquimalt Barber Shop
  • This week will be my Dad's last week of work, he's laid off on Oct. 1st. On Oct. 13th he has an appointment with a homeopathic doctor. My mom and I are just hoping this doctor says something he likes and that he'll finally start on some kind of treatment. It's been 7 months since he's been diagnosed but he's been so stubborn about doing any sort of treatment... it's so frustrating to my mom and me but we're trying to be supportive to his decisions.
  • My thoughts are with u & your family. Hope your dad gets better really soon!!!
    If I had known then...what I know now...

the vic ~ 8.2.07
    eV at The Ryman ~ 6.18.09
    st. louis ~ 5.4.10
    If we all did a little, together we could make a BIG difference....wanna help us?
    Then visit http://wishlistfoundation.fancorps.com
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,184
    This week will be my Dad's last week of work, he's laid off on Oct. 1st. On Oct. 13th he has an appointment with a homeopathic doctor. My mom and I are just hoping this doctor says something he likes and that he'll finally start on some kind of treatment. It's been 7 months since he's been diagnosed but he's been so stubborn about doing any sort of treatment... it's so frustrating to my mom and me but we're trying to be supportive to his decisions.

I wish for you and your family all the best it's very difficult what you're going through, stay strong. My sis had chemo and radiation and is now a 5 year cancer survivor, treatment will make difference. I hope he'll accept some sort of treatment soon.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Monday, Febuary 22nd my Dad starts chemo and radiation.... FINALLY HE AGREED TO IT!!
  • the wolfthe wolf Posts: 7,027
    Monday, Febuary 22nd my Dad starts chemo and radiation.... FINALLY HE AGREED TO IT!!
    :D;)
    Peace, Love.

"To question your government is not unpatriotic --
    to not question your government is unpatriotic."
    -- Sen. Chuck Hagel
  • Drowned OutDrowned Out Posts: 6,056
    yay! I guess....as 'yay' as a person can be about chemo/radiation....
    I hope it's successful and you guys can put this all behind you. :)
  • yay! I guess....as 'yay' as a person can be about chemo/radiation....
    the wolf wrote:
    Thanks guys. I'm sure I'll be around these parts a lot more while trying to cope with seeing my dad go through this... with that said I'm just happy he decided to fight :D
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    Monday, Febuary 22nd my Dad starts chemo and radiation.... FINALLY HE AGREED TO IT!!

that's great!! :thumbup:
  • yay! I guess....as 'yay' as a person can be about chemo/radiation....
    the wolf wrote:
    Thanks guys. I'm sure I'll be around these parts a lot more while trying to cope with seeing my dad go through this... with that said I'm just happy he decided to fight :D

i agree.
    i haven't checked up on this thread in awhile...glad he is getting the treatment he needs. good luck to you all, here's to hoping for a full and speedy recovery!
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,741
    yay! I guess....as 'yay' as a person can be about chemo/radiation....
    the wolf wrote:

Great news.

It is a tough experience, my old man went through it a few years ago and I was not really prepared for it. I knew you lost your hair and all but he lost a lot of weight, hair, a lot of color in his skin and all energy. It was the first time somone really close to me went though it and I wish I was more prepared. Stay strong, its all for a good outcome.
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    be strong CiW's dad.
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Monday, Febuary 22nd my Dad starts chemo and radiation.... FINALLY HE AGREED TO IT!!

that's awesome...very glad to hear it!
    Need a tour Travel Agent??? Pick me :-)

Whatever you are, be a good one --Lincoln
  • Damn! It took him long enough! ;)

I'm so happy he finally committed. It may be a rough ride but just take it one day at a time.

Love you!!
  • You got to do what you got to do. My mom has been fighting cancer (on her LN) for 12 years now....once in awhile her leg swells up and has to visit the doctor but she is still rockin!

best wishes!
    If a man speaks in a forest and there is no woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?