lump on your lymph node? updated: it's cancer.

Comments

• CHANGEinWAVESCHANGEinWAVES Posts: 10,169
    Dad's getting his results right now.... My stomach is in knots waiting to hear from them.
    "I'm not present, I'm a drug that makes you dream"
    I don't know the details yet, but the Dr. said it was cancer. I'm headed there after work to have them tell me all about what the Dr. said.
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 38,048
    I don't know the details yet, but the Dr. said it was cancer. I'm headed there after work to have them tell me all about what the Dr. said.
    Likely Non Hodgkins Lymphoma. Friend of mine had it and is still alive and kicking almost 20 years later. My Aunt also had a lymph type cancer. That eas 5 years ago and she's still doing well. Hopefully it was caught early and doesn't affect too many nodes. Much luck to you all!
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    i'm so sorry brandi....having spent the last 4 and half years with my mom's cancer i know how you probably feel right now...if you need anything i'm a pm away

stay strong
    mickeyrat wrote:
    Likely Non Hodgkins Lymphoma. Friend of mine had it and is still alive and kicking almost 20 years later. My Aunt also had a lymph type cancer. That eas 5 years ago and she's still doing well. Hopefully it was caught early and doesn't affect too many nodes. Much luck to you all!
    Thank you, right now not knowing exactly what the Dr. Said to them eating up my stomach.
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 38,048
    mickeyrat wrote:
    Thank you, right now not knowing exactly what the Dr. Said to them eating up my stomach.
    First of all breathe. Then when you find out WHAT exactly it is , google your ass off. learn as much as you can , so you/they can ask appropriate questions. As scary as Cancer is/sounds it IS beatable. Remember that and do what you can for your dad. Mostly just BE there for him.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Cinnamon GirlCinnamon Girl Posts: 1,854
    It's amazing what they can do through cancer treatment these days.

Stay strong and positive.
    05-10-06, 08-05-07, 06-14-08 , 08-12-08(EV), 06-11-09(EV), 06-12-09(EV), 08-21-09, 05-10-10, 09-11-11, 09-12-11, 07-16-13, 07-19-13, 10-12-13, 10-21-13, 10-22-13,
  • Given to...Given to... Posts: 4,989
    Hang in there and keep strong by whatever means. My grandma whom I am very close with was diagnosed on her birthday with breast cancer. Had a mastecomy, and started chemo recently. Been very tough on all but try to keep your head above water.
    "...would you like some forks?" EV 12-02-06
    This is what they told me the Dr. told them (remember this is from my parents so take nothing as 100% :? )

He has a cancerous tumor on his lymph node that is solid. They are going to take more biopsies from inside his mouth of his tongue, larynx, and lymph node (a few other things too)... and see if it has spread from the tumor also to see where it's come from. The Dr. told him that this is mostly seen in smokers though my dad quit right before I was born, 28 yrs ago. After that he will get a PET scan... from there they will determine if he needs radiation and so forth. Tomorrow they are setting up an appointment with an Oncologist.

When talking to my parents they seemed positive, though I could see it in their eyes that it was all a show. My Mom obviously was crying and my Dad was unable to focus and was cracking jokes (he said that my mom's driving gave him cancer). I can see they are scared, which scares me more. I'm used to seeing my Dad as untouchable... and this has and will be scary. They played it down and kept saying things will be ok, I am thinking positive that they are... but if the Dr. referred them to an Oncologist already I think it's more serious then they let on.

I drove home tonight after seeing them (I live an hour away).... I started to cry thinking of losing him, and what it'll be like for my mom.... and I zoned out..... numbed, I don't know how I got home. It scares me to think that this got to me so much already, how am I going to be able to be there for them when I can't hold it together right now.
  • Thorns2010Thorns2010 Posts: 2,200
    This is what they told me the Dr. told them (remember this is from my parents so take nothing as 100% :? )

He has a cancerous tumor on his lymph node that is solid. They are going to take more biopsies from inside his mouth of his tongue, larynx, and lymph node (a few other things too)... and see if it has spread from the tumor also to see where it's come from. The Dr. told him that this is mostly seen in smokers though my dad quit right before I was born, 28 yrs ago. After that he will get a PET scan... from there they will determine if he needs radiation and so forth. Tomorrow they are setting up an appointment with an Oncologist.

When talking to my parents they seemed positive, though I could see it in their eyes that it was all a show. My Mom obviously was crying and my Dad was unable to focus and was cracking jokes (he said that my mom's driving gave him cancer). I can see they are scared, which scares me more. I'm used to seeing my Dad as untouchable... and this has and will be scary. They played it down and kept saying things will be ok, I am thinking positive that they are... but if the Dr. referred them to an Oncologist already I think it's more serious then they let on.

I drove home tonight after seeing them (I live an hour away).... I started to cry thinking of losing him, and what it'll be like for my mom.... and I zoned out..... numbed, I don't know how I got home. It scares me to think that this got to me so much already, how am I going to be able to be there for them when I can't hold it together right now.

*HUGS!!!!*

I know there isn't really anything I can say right now that will make you feel better, but know that I and other people here are pulling for everything to turn out for the best!

I've mentioned before that my dad has dealt with cancer before, but not like this, so I can't say I know for sure exactly what you are going through. But know that I am here for you, anything you need (aside from a trip to ACL, I can't afford that! ;) ) I'll do what I can.

*HUGS!!!*
    The Dr. told him that this is mostly seen in smokers though my dad quit right before I was born, 28 yrs ago.

Exact same with my Dad (in-law). He quit 20ish years ago! It's just terrible because you can get so resentful of these "lucky" people who smoke their entire lives and don't ever get sick. Not helpful, but normal feelings I guess.

They played it down and kept saying things will be ok, I am thinking positive that they are... but if the Dr. referred them to an Oncologist already I think it's more serious then they let on.

They're sending him to the Oncologist because it's cancerous. No matter how serious it is he will be referred to an Oncologist. So please don't let that fact convince you that it's any worse than their letting on.

The most difficult part of these kind of situations is trying to not let your emotions overwhelm you. Unfortunately, this is a very shitty problem with, most likely, a solution. The treatment is getting from A to B.

Hopefully the tumor is contained and treatable.

Your parents sound like great people and I'm sure they'll do whatever it takes to beat this!
    05-10-06, 08-05-07, 06-14-08 , 08-12-08(EV), 06-11-09(EV), 06-12-09(EV), 08-21-09, 05-10-10, 09-11-11, 09-12-11, 07-16-13, 07-19-13, 10-12-13, 10-21-13, 10-22-13,
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,711
    ^Yeah, referral to an oncologist is SOP for any cancer patient, it has nothing to do with the seriousness. They'll know more after the next tests, especially the PET scan.
    Keep positive, many forms of cancer are treatable these days, hopefully your Dad's was found early.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • PJaddictedPJaddicted Posts: 1,432
    Hugs to you. So sorry that you and your family have now had your life turned upside down because of that horrible disease. Please know that there are so many treatment options available and it is no longer a death sentence. Stay strong and focused and help your dad fight this with all he has.
    ~*LIVE~LOVE~LAUGH*~

*May the Peace of the Wilderness be with YOU*

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
    — Unknown
  • LizardLizard Posts: 12,091
    {{hugs}}
    I send good vibes to your dad and pray things work out well.

THEY WILL.

take care.
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
    Thanks everyone.

It's squamis (sp?) Cell cancer... And he does need radiation on the tumor. The dr. also said that, that is not the point of origin and they need to find out where it started. His appointment for the oncologist is wednesday... Let's hope this is easily curable.
    Thanks everyone.

It's squamis (sp?) Cell cancer... And he does need radiation on the tumor. The dr. also said that, that is not the point of origin and they need to find out where it started. His appointment for the oncologist is wednesday... Let's hope this is easily curable.

:(
    Do you know when he starts treatment?
    Thanks everyone.

:(
    Do you know when he starts treatment?
    I think he'll find out next week from the oncologist. He did say that he doesn't want chemo if it comes down to that. We figured we wouldn't argue with him yet, and only will IF it comes to that.
    The chemo was really hard on my Dad....so I can understand him not wanting it. Hopefully the radiation will kill all the cells.
  • LONGRDLONGRD Posts: 6,036
    Sorry to hear that. I loss my step-dad, who was like a father to me, to cancer from a lifetime of heavy heavy smoking.

My boss went through Chemo for a different type of cancer and he turned out alright. He said it was a rough ordeal though as he loss a lot of weight through it.
    PJ- 04/29/2003.06/24,25,27,28,30/2008.10/27,28,30,31/2009
    EV- 08/09,10/2008.06/08,09/2009
    So my mom asked me to tell my ex.... His reply : "I'm sorry to hear that".... I really wasn't expecting to hear back but I don't think my parents will like hearing that that's all he has to say. :|
    So my mom asked me to tell my ex.... His reply : "I'm sorry to hear that".... I really wasn't expecting to hear back but I don't think my parents will like hearing that that's all he has to say. :|

Will he contact them, you think?

Will he contact them, you think?
    It would be a nice gesture and the 'man I married' would of done that... But this one... I doubt it.
  • Back_PedalBack_Pedal Posts: 1,171
    Best of luck to your dad, your family, and you!
    Thanks EPOTTSIII!
    "Vinyl or not, you will need to pay someone to take RA of your hands" - Smile05
    424, xxx
  • kcherubkcherub Posts: 961
    Been thinking about you, and what to say to you! As a cancer survivor, I feel for you guys right now! The emotions are all over the place, and ALL of them are normal!

I am assuming your Dad will have a PET scan to determine where that little bugger came from. Let's hope that the radiaion does the trick. I am 18 months out from chemo, and I have to say--I DON'T want to do it again, but it was not 1/4 as bad as I was expecting. I was never sick (i.e. vomiting), gained weight rather than lost it (steriods, ick), and went back to my store on the 10th day after treatment. I also have a husband, an 8-year old son, and about 15 pets. ;) I know lots of women (mostly women, as they are more likely to have breast cancer) who have gone back to work within a few days. My absence was self-imposed, as the steriods made me crazy insane and I have a hard enough time dealing with customers as it is! :)

So, just in case chemo is needed, it is doable. Hit with every gun they offer, so that he doesn't ever have to go through this again!!! I think most people are terrified of being sick, but the meds they give you now to prevent it have almost (I say, "almost) eradicated it. The worst part for me was actually being bald for six months. Getting bald was fun--maybe I'll post the video if I can ever change my freakin' signature.

Hang in there! It's a shitty road, but you will all get through it! I have faith that he will be just fine!!!
    I still want you all to "take care"--I am just damn tired of typing it.

http://www.youtube.com/user/kcherub#p/a/u/0/N-UQprRqSwo
  • pearljgirl2010pearljgirl2010 Posts: 3,428
    hey mama....I'm thinking about you and your family--sending a big, Janet-sized hug your way
    Need a tour Travel Agent??? Pick me :-)

Whatever you are, be a good one --Lincoln
    He's seeing the Oncologist tomorrow and has more biopsies on his tongue and larinix (??) on Monday.
    My mom's a mess and my dad's scared. I think I'm just trying to not think about it, but it's always there in the back of my mind.

My dad thinks he can cure it with his diet... he's been eating nothing but veggies, which makes me more scared cause he's lost a lot of weight already. He's a little guy and getting littler every time I see him.

I'm grateful for this board and the people I've met here, since it's the only support I have at this moment. All my "friends" have decided they can't help me and I haven't hear from them, or when I do they glaze over it or ignore it. Being alone at this point sucks......
  • pearljgirl2010pearljgirl2010 Posts: 3,428
    He's seeing the Oncologist tomorrow and has more biopsies on his tongue and larinix (??) on Monday.
    My mom's a mess and my dad's scared. I think I'm just trying to not think about it, but it's always there in the back of my mind.

My dad thinks he can cure it with his diet... he's been eating nothing but veggies, which makes me more scared cause he's lost a lot of weight already. He's a little guy and getting littler every time I see him.

I'm grateful for this board and the people I've met here, since it's the only support I have at this moment. All my "friends" have decided they can't help me and I haven't hear from them, or when I do they glaze over it or ignore it. Being alone at this point sucks......

ahhhh, I'm sorry this is happening. of course it's scary, but things wil lbe ok.

you're not alone-you lots of people who love you and who are there for you if and when you need them.
    Need a tour Travel Agent??? Pick me :-)

Whatever you are, be a good one --Lincoln
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146

hang in there....the scariest part is not knowing....it's strange but once we knew what my mom had and how they were going to treat it that i went from nervous to all business mode...meaning let's treat this crap and get rid of it and move on

and your friends don't really sound like friends, imo :(
  • EnkiduEnkidu Posts: 2,996
    I'm sending good thoughts your way, too. It's always weird how some people react to bad news - illness, losing a job, etc. Almost as if it's contagious. Which - duh - it isn't. But you've obviously got a lot of support here on the board which is great. And I hope that helps.
    I know it feels like you're alone, but you're not. Sometimes friends are afraid to bring up difficult topics because they're worried it will make it harder for you. I'm sure that your friends are worried about you and are thinking of your situation. I know I am. I'm so so sorry that you and your parents have to go through this, but try to take it one day at a time.

Make sure your dad's getting lots of protein to keep him going!

(hugs) :)