Coffee what's your fav?

Comments

• HorosHoros Posts: 4,518
    Lesbelges wrote:
    Horos wrote:
    There's no accounting for taste. I guess you all like flavored water, probably drink Budweiser too.

Oh and I guess you don't know but coffee and espresso are not the same drink. On the rare occasion I drink espresso I drink it straight. And I don't think I have to travel to Italy to find an espresso machine. But it is nice that you've been there.

Budweiser? Please, the only good thing about Bud is that the Belgians just bought them and will teach them how to properly brew beer.

As far as espresso, trust me, what you get in Italy is still pretty different from what you get here in the US.

I will say this about Starbucks, their Americano coffee is pretty good. Will take that any day over the standard coffees they have there.
    Maybe you can't read as well as taste. I was saying Budweiser sucks just like the coffee at McDonald's.

And again you show the lack of coffee knowledge when you say the Americano is good because it is an espresso drink.

I only go to Starbucks in a pinch but prefer to make my own.
    #FHP
  • LesbelgesLesbelges Posts: 434
    Horos wrote:
    Lesbelges wrote:
    Horos wrote:
    There's no accounting for taste. I guess you all like flavored water, probably drink Budweiser too.

Oh and I guess you don't know but coffee and espresso are not the same drink. On the rare occasion I drink espresso I drink it straight. And I don't think I have to travel to Italy to find an espresso machine. But it is nice that you've been there.

Budweiser? Please, the only good thing about Bud is that the Belgians just bought them and will teach them how to properly brew beer.

As far as espresso, trust me, what you get in Italy is still pretty different from what you get here in the US.

I will say this about Starbucks, their Americano coffee is pretty good. Will take that any day over the standard coffees they have there.
    Maybe you can't read as well as taste. I was saying Budweiser sucks just like the coffee at McDonald's.

And again you show the lack of coffee knowledge when you say the Americano is good because it is an espresso drink.

I only go to Starbucks in a pinch but prefer to make my own.

No, I didn't misunderstand, you were implying that I have no taste and am a person who drinks Budweiser.

And I know that an Americano is a watered down espresso. And believe me, I know about coffee, its part of everyday Italian culture.

*edit*
    The coffee I usually use to make espresso at home (I usually only drink coffee at home) is Cagliari brand which I bring back whenever I go visit my family. Also good is Dico brand coffe. Both are much better than Illy, Lavazza and the other more popular brands.

http://www.jrmushroomsandspecialties.co ... ound-D.jpg
    Cincinnati '03 Flooded venue!
    Bridge School '06 Night 1 & 2
    Venice '07 pummeled by the sleet! 
    Nijmegen '07
    Werchter '07
    April Fools ~ LA1
  • Heineken HelenHeineken Helen Posts: 18,095
    Horos wrote:
    Horos wrote:

:mrgreen: smart bastard :lol: I wasn't blown away by the coffee in Italy (just to point out I've been there too :mrgreen: ) but I love strong coffee anyway... even with the instant, if I can't find the alta rica, I have to use two spoons :oops:
    Thank you Helen ;) , I guess everyone on here would consider the coffee I drink vile. I make it as strong as I can and with the french press that is very strong, my coffee cup always has black residue at the bottom.
    well what's the point in weak coffee??? :D
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Verona??? it's all surmountable
    Dublin 23.08.06 "The beauty of Ireland, right there!"
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Copenhagen?? your light made us stars
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Had I not found this love with you
  • iluvcatsiluvcats Posts: 5,153
    I've been drinking Maxwell House Lite (50 percent less caffeine) for 10 years or so.

I think it tastes pretty good, but then again I am used to it. I have a tiny coffeemaker at home and at work, brews 4 cups, but I make less than that.
    9/98, 9/00 - DC, 4/03 - Pitt., 7/03 - Bristow, 10/04 - Reading, 10/05 - Philly, 5/06 - DC, 6/06 - Pitt., 6/08 - Va Beach, 6/08 - DC, 5/10 - Bristow, 10/13 B'more
    8/08 - Ed solo in DC, 6/09 Ed in B'more,
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
  • iluvcatsiluvcats Posts: 5,153
    I just read that Kat likes 8'oclock coffee and I see that they make 50 percent less caffeine as well

http://www.eightoclock.com/products/whole.asp
    9/98, 9/00 - DC, 4/03 - Pitt., 7/03 - Bristow, 10/04 - Reading, 10/05 - Philly, 5/06 - DC, 6/06 - Pitt., 6/08 - Va Beach, 6/08 - DC, 5/10 - Bristow, 10/13 B'more
    8/08 - Ed solo in DC, 6/09 Ed in B'more,
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
    Okay I give, I guess that I've never had any coffee because I've never been to Italy. Pretty sure coffee is a part of the culture here in the States as well. And I do recognize that the culture here is younger than there.

It's just my opinion anyway I shouldn't have ripped on your opinion. I haven't even had McDonald's coffee since it changed. I just have never found a cup I like at any fastfood joint or convenience store.
    #FHP
  • Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Posts: 7,258
    Tully's or Diva's.
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • iamsam_pjiamsam_pj Posts: 300
    if i can ever find it (and have the money)...i LOVE kona coffee!!! i think i drank about 4 cups of it every morning w/ breakfast when i was on vaca in hawaii a couple years ago....and i had quit drinking coffee for a couple years at that point!

at home now i have seattle's best breakfast blend!

and the best latte i've ever had was at tully's!! i'm sooo glad that i'm going to be able to get it on a regular basis soon :D
  • jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
    Really, there's nothing more to be said .....

Donuts.jpg
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • JwmccJwmcc Posts: 451
    Today it was all about the Gevalia Mocha edition...and that's that :mrgreen:
  • _Crazy_Mary__Crazy_Mary_ Posts: 1,299
    Horos, are you saying that espresso is not coffee?
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but that was the impression you gave me.
    Also, I gotta agree with you. I like my coffee strong!
    I really screwed that up. I really Schruted it.
  • iluvcats wrote:
    I just read that Kat likes 8'oclock coffee and I see that they make 50 percent less caffeine as well

http://www.eightoclock.com/products/whole.asp

I just bought some last night from walmart. not bad (1/2 caf) :)
  • pinot768pinot768 Posts: 295
    After living in Hawaii for over 3 years, I got spoiled with Kona. If I have to get coffee out, I agree with the poster who mentioned QT gas stations. They have them all over Atlanta, where I lived before moving to Columbus, and they have awesome coffee. Since I can't get that in Ohio, Dunkin Donuts is my choice when I am out and about. However, I also drink an herbal coffee substitute when I give up caffeine. It's called Dandy Blend, and made properly, is as good as, if not better, than some of the coffee on the market. It is made with dandelion, chickory and sugar beet root, and roasted barley and rye. Pretty good for when you can't have caffeine and still want coffee.
    "I was born, and I know that I'll die...the in-between is mine."
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,834
    I like the occasional POT of Kona. Whole bean .
    Also like a couple of the Newman's Own (Green Mountain roasters AND for a good cause) Breakfast blend is good.

Everyday joe? Maxwell house.

Overall I prefer a medium roast to anything else.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    Bump.
    Trying out a Gevalia French Vanilla sample we got in our last shipment at work, good stuff! And I'm not usually a fan of flavored coffee. The other sample that someone brought is Jack Daniels whiskey flavored coffee :shock:
  • CHANGEinWAVESCHANGEinWAVES Posts: 10,169
    After a week in Canada I've become addicted to Tim Hortons double double! It's perfect :)
    (Oh their hot chocolate is awesome too!) As of now I've been drinking Panera's dark roast cause there's one right next to work. Ahhh caffeine!
    "I'm not present, I'm a drug that makes you dream"
    Not to go off topic but I miss the Tim Horton donuts :( I need to get back to Montreal and or Toronto!
  • CHANGEinWAVESCHANGEinWAVES Posts: 10,169
    Jwmcc wrote:
    Not to go off topic but I miss the Tim Horton donuts :( I need to get back to Montreal and or Toronto!
    Mmmmm Canadian maple doughnut!!! I ate 2 the morning I left Toronto, so sad :( I also had 2 double doubles and a hot chocolate, all before 11am... I was a little hyper on the plane ;)
    "I'm not present, I'm a drug that makes you dream"
  • merkinballmerkinball Posts: 2,262
    mca47 wrote:
    If I'm brewing at home, I usually get Peet's.

Good stuff!

Peets! I buy it from the local peets by the pound instead of the grocery store. They usually get it wihtin a day or two of roasting at the local store, so the taste is much better.

These guys are a local roaster here in San Diego, and make great coffee. The Bird Rock blend is really good, and they do mail order:

http://www.birdrockcoffeeroasters.com/

I'm tempted to get a mini-roaster to roast my own beans, but that also may mean that I'm being too obsessive.

I'll hijack the thread, and ask what type of coffee maker others recommend. I've got a cuisinart that combines the grinder with the brewer that is pretty handy, but I'm thinking it's time for a higher tech maker.
    "You're no help," he told the lime. This was unfair. It was only a lime; there was nothing special about it at all. It was doing the best it could.

http://www.last.fm/user/merkinball/
    spotify:user:merkinball
  • PearlOfAGirlPearlOfAGirl Posts: 15,993
    Maxwell House :)

Wish you were here...

~RIP Dad
  • http://stumptowncoffee.com/ is what I normally drink at home and at work.

Usually go here http://extractocoffeehouse.com/ when I go out for a coffee. The owner Chris Brady used to be in the Old Sub-Pop band, Pond.
    NERDS!
    Horos, are you saying that espresso is not coffee?
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but that was the impression you gave me.
    Also, I gotta agree with you. I like my coffee strong!
    I wasn't saying it's not coffee, obviously it's made from coffee beans, but it's still not the same as coffee. Espresso delivers the caffine in an oil form and it enters the bloodstream more quickly and gives you that jolt. It takes longer for the body to absorb the caffine from a brewed cup, that is what I was talking about.
    #FHP
    I like to use a French Press. Not really a coffee maker though. Basically it's the same way professional tasters make the cups they are sampling.
    #FHP
  • gabersgabers Posts: 2,787
    This thread makes me cringe at being a coffee snob. The banter is annoyingly elitist, but I can't resist. My absolute favorite coffee (so far) is Hair Bender from Stumptown Coffee in Portland, OR. Here's their website:

http://stumptowncoffee.com/

It's a blend from three regions and has a strong aroma and hint of spiciness I love. You can actually use it for drip coffee or espresso.

I have to admit though that a very close second for the best cup of coffee I had in my life was in at a lounge the Amsterdam Airport. It actually came from one of those machines and grinds and brews it right there for you. It may have been in one of the VIP type lounges because I was traveling with Am Ex Platinum card holders that had access to various airport VIP lounges, but my God it was unbelievably good coffee.

Edit: I just saw the above post talking about Stumptown Coffee. I swear I'd move to Portland for that reason alone.
  • fanch75fanch75 Posts: 3,734
    I'm not a huge fan of coffee but I do drink it.

If anyone can recommend me a good, fairtrade coffee, I would be very grateful! :D

http://stuffwhitepeoplelike.com/2008/01/18/1-coffee/

Stuff White People Like
    #1 - Coffee

There is no doubt that white people love coffee. Yes, it’s true that asians like iced coffee and people of all races enjoy it. But I promise you that the first person at your school to drink coffee was a white person. You could kind of tell they didn’t enjoy it, but they did it anyways until they liked it - like cigarettes.

White people all need Starbucks, Second Cup or Coffee Bean. They are also fond of saying “you do NOT want to see me before I get my morning coffee.” White guys will also call it anything but coffee: “rocket fuel,” “java,” “joe,” “black gold,” and so forth. It’s pretty garbage all around.

If you want to go for extra points - white people really love FAIR TRADE coffee, because paying the extra $2 means they are making a difference.
    Do you remember Rock & Roll Radio?
  • Who PrincessWho Princess Posts: 7,305
    gabers wrote:
    I have to admit though that a very close second for the best cup of coffee I had in my life was in at a lounge the Amsterdam Airport. It actually came from one of those machines and grinds and brews it right there for you. It may have been in one of the VIP type lounges because I was traveling with Am Ex Platinum card holders that had access to various airport VIP lounges, but my God it was unbelievably good coffee.
    Somehow this post made me remember an experience I had several years ago. While driving from Texas to Michigan my husband and I were really tired and stopped at a highway dept. rest stop in Illinois. There was a coffee vending machine and we were SO desperate for some caffeine for the final part of the drive that we decided to break down and get coffee from it, fully expecting it to be awful. We were shocked to hear the machine grinding coffee beans then brewing it fresh. Instead of getting something that tasted worse than cat shit we were treated to a delicious cup of coffee. Who'd have guessed from a vending machine? Just to make sure it wasn't a fluke we tried it out at a different rest stop on the way back with the same results. That was about 15 years ago so I don't know what it's like if you go driving through Illinois now.
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • Red Mosquito75Red Mosquito75 Posts: 1,034
    shade grown mexican from any brand
    This is Not For You
  • youngsteryoungster Posts: 6,576
    Just a regular from Dunkin Donuts does it for me.
    He who forgets will be destined to remember.

9/29/04 Boston, 6/28/08 Mansfield, 8/23/09 Chicago, 5/15/10 Hartford
    5/17/10 Boston, 10/15/13 Worcester, 10/16/13 Worcester, 10/25/13 Hartford
    8/5/16 Fenway, 8/7/16 Fenway
    EV Solo: 6/16/11 Boston, 6/18/11 Hartford,
  • gabers wrote:
    This thread makes me cringe at being a coffee snob. The banter is annoyingly elitist, but I can't resist. My absolute favorite coffee (so far) is Hair Bender from Stumptown Coffee in Portland, OR. Here's their website:

http://stumptowncoffee.com/

It's a blend from three regions and has a strong aroma and hint of spiciness I love. You can actually use it for drip coffee or espresso.

Edit: I just saw the above post talking about Stumptown Coffee. I swear I'd move to Portland for that reason alone.

The Hair Bender is good. I had some this morning. :)
    NERDS!
  • merkinballmerkinball Posts: 2,262
    Looking at the stumptown site has convinced me to get a french press, instead of a new coffee maker.

I'll order some of that Hair Bender too, sounds good.
    "You're no help," he told the lime. This was unfair. It was only a lime; there was nothing special about it at all. It was doing the best it could.

http://www.last.fm/user/merkinball/
    spotify:user:merkinball