Options

this Brother song...

Comments

• Options
    DD164485 wrote:
    Why on earth would he take a break from recording a NEW ALBUM so that he can come in the and fuck around with some outake from 20 years ago?

Alot of bands do it, usually for like a greatest hits album or something. U2 did it with Sweetest Thing (which was a Joshua Tree b-side). REM did it with both Bad Day and All the Right Friends
    Rock me Jesus, roll me Lord...
    Wash me in the blood of Rock & Roll
  • Options
    DD164485DD164485 Posts: 149
    arthurdent wrote:
    DD164485 wrote:
    Why on earth would he take a break from recording a NEW ALBUM so that he can come in the and fuck around with some outake from 20 years ago?

Alot of bands do it, usually for like a greatest hits album or something. U2 did it with Sweetest Thing (which was a Joshua Tree b-side). REM did it with both Bad Day and All the Right Friends

Good point...but this clearly is 1991 Ed with a fresh coat of paint.
  • Options
  • Options
    ZosoCatZosoCat Posts: 176
    i think it should have been re-recorded or left alone.
  • Options
    vedderman wrote:
    are you people deaf? :shock:

eddie recorded new vocals for this song, this vocals are present not from '91.

Well you're right that it's not the same vocal from the Brother demo that we all know from 1991. That being said, it may be a vocal from a different take or recording of Brother from '91 and not a recent re-recording.
  • Options
    DD164485 wrote:
    I don't know how anyone can listen to this and think that this is a re-recorded track.

I find it very doubtful that Eddie would re record his vocals.

As if he even gives a shit about this song.

Not only would this be totally LAME, but completly out of character.

This is definately an early take of "Brother" re-mixed by Brendon O'Brien using modern 2009 technology.

It's 1991 Eddie. with a brand new coat of paint....
    \

doesnt seem too out of character for somebody who came back and added a different ending to the MTV unplugged Oceans.
  • Options
    NewJPageNewJPage Posts: 3,304
    DD164485 wrote:
    I don't know how anyone can listen to this and think that this is a re-recorded track.

This is definately an early take of "Brother" re-mixed by Brendon O'Brien using modern 2009 technology.

see lost dogs for MANY other examples of ed re-recording his vocal track...
    6/26/98, 8/17/00, 10/8/00, 12/8/02, 12/9/02, 4/25/03, 5/28/03, 6/1/03, 6/3/03, 6/5/03, 6/6/03, 6/12/03, 6/13/03, 6/15/03, 6/18/03, 6/21/03, 6/22/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03, 10/3/04, 10/5/04, 9/9/05, 9/11/05, 9/16/05, 5/16/06, 5/17/06, 5/19/06, 6/30/06, 7/23/06, 8/5/07, 6/30/08, 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 5/4/10, 5/7/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/11/13, 10/17/14, 8/20/16
  • Options
    dreamweaverdreamweaver New York Posts: 716
    edited February 2009
    ....[/quote]

see lost dogs for MANY other examples of ed re-recording his vocal track...[/quote]

um.. i think you are completely wrong about all of this dude... simply put, there are usually more than one take in one session and I could bet alot on the fact that they are NOT re-recorded on a later date.

its pretty funny how sure you are about it too...
    Post edited by dreamweaver on
    Meadowlands, MSG 1, MSG 2 - '98
    Jones Beach NY 1 + 3 - '00
    MSG 1 + 2 - '03
    Boston Garden - '04
    Montreal - '05
    Boston Garden 1, Meadowlands 1 + 2 - '06
    Mansfield 1 - '08
    (EV solo) Boston 1 - '08
    Chicago 1 - '09
    MSG -'10
    Brooklyn 1+2 - '13
    Central Park - '15
    MSG - '16
    Fenway - '16
    Wrigley - '16
    (RRHOF) Brooklyn - '17
    Fenway - '18
    MSG - '22
  • Options
    NewJPage wrote:
    DD164485 wrote:

um.. i think you are completely wrong about all of this dude... simply put, there are usually more than one take in one session and I could bet alot on the fact that they are NOT re-recorded on a later date.

What? I could've sworn that Alone and Hold On from Lost Dogs were re recorded vocals; especially Hold On.
  • Options
    quote]

What? I could've sworn that Alone and Hold On from Lost Dogs were re recorded vocals; especially Hold On.[/quote]

no, just different TAKES!
    MSG 1 + 2 - '03
    Boston Garden - '04
    Montreal - '05
    Mansfield 1 - '08
    (EV solo) Boston 1 - '08
    Chicago 1 - '09
    MSG -'10
    Brooklyn 1+2 - '13
    Central Park - '15
    MSG - '16
    Fenway - '16
    Wrigley - '16
    (RRHOF) Brooklyn - '17
    Fenway - '18
    MSG - '22
  • Options
    this new version of Brother sounds like a very early outtake, earlier than the more widely circulated outtake (w/vocals) that most people have already heard.....i like that version better.

The vocals on the 'new' one are def different, but it doesnt sound rerecorded to me.....my 2 cents.
  • Options
    quote]

What? I could've sworn that Alone and Hold On from Lost Dogs were re recorded vocals; especially Hold On.

no, just different TAKES![/quote]

Sorry, but I'm pretty sure the vocals on those two tracks were re-recorded. In the liner notes, Brett Eliason gets an engineering credit, as well as the mix credit. This leads me to believe that there was more work done to those 2 songs than just a simple mix.

Besides, the vocals on both tracks don't match the era in which they were supposedly recorded. Instead of sounding like Ten-era Ed, they sound closer to Riot Act Ed.
  • Options
    arthurdent wrote:
    DD164485 wrote:
    Why in the hell would Eddie bother to come in and re-record his vocals to this song 20 years after the fact?

For exactly the same reason he had Mike butcher the song and turn it into an instrumental for LD. Apparently Ed HATES (or at the very least is extremely embarrassed by) the lyrics to this song.

I don't think Mike butchered that instrumental at all. I thought it was pretty good...even if it was a bit unnecessary. And I don't know how you can argue that Ed re-recorded vocals for Brother AND is embarrassed by it's lyrics. It's one or the other.
  • Options
    Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,541
    There are 3 versions of this song.

First, there was the original recording, with lyrics, that has been floating around for some time. That one had different, but similar lyrics.

Then there is the lost dogs version, instrumental.

now, there is this re-recorded version. This was done much like "Hard to Imagine" was re-recorded for Lost dogs, or "Driftin", etc.

The lyrics you are hearing are new, and current Ed.
    Turn this anger into
    Nuclear fission
  • Options
    Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,541
    quote]

no, just different TAKES![/quote]

No, they were re-recorded. they put new vocals on some of those old songs, Ed said so himself.
    Turn this anger into
    Nuclear fission
  • Options
    JM55546JM55546 Posts: 129
    No, they were re-recorded. they put new vocals on some of those old songs, Ed said so himself.

Link?
  • Options
    Vedd Hedd wrote:

First, there was the original recording, with lyrics, that has been floating around for some time. That one had different, but similar lyrics.

now, there is this re-recorded version. This was done much like "Hard to Imagine" was re-recorded for Lost dogs, or "Driftin", etc.

acutally there 4 versions.....there are 2 'original' versions with slightly different lyrics in addition to the instrumental version and new released version.....rerecorded vocals for the new version is still highly debatable but not out of the question....
  • Options
    SN105475 wrote:
    Vedd Hedd wrote:

acutally there 4 versions.....there are 2 'original' versions with slightly different lyrics in addition to the instrumental version and new released version.....rerecorded vocals for the new version is still highly debatable but not out of the question....

They should've just released everything from the beginning in the first place to avoid all the confusion! :mrgreen:
  • Options
    MissPennyLaneMissPennyLane Redondo Beach, CA Posts: 687
    after they played it in the radio this morning. The douche was like "PJ doesn't suck as bad as i thought". it just made me laugh a bit. What a dipshit
  • Options
    SN105475SN105475 Posts: 8
    edited February 2009
    SN105475 wrote:
    Vedd Hedd wrote:

They should've just released everything from the beginning in the first place to avoid all the confusion! :mrgreen:

well i should say that the 2 'original' versions that have been floating around for a long time are different vocal outtakes but sound almost the same instrumentally....imo those 2 have the same instrumental track just different vocals....very very similar (although i think the second original version was with the Lost Dogs outtakes bootleg that was floating around a year or 2 back - just listened to it)....this new version though is a completely different instrumental track and vocal track...its weird, the vocals sound like 91 ed and 2008 ed at different times, so im finding it very very hard to truly tell if the vocals are newly recorded....
    Post edited by SN105475 on
  • Options
    JM55546 wrote:

Link?

Porch:
    http://download.rbn.com/rstone/rstone/d ... -Porch.mp3

Brother:
    http://download.rbn.com/rstone/rstone/d ... rother.mp3
  • Options
    The Rough Mix version blows this new one away both in the lyrical and musical depts.

Perhaps it is remixed with the intention of EV being able to sing it in the upcoming tour. Also, will PJ play all the remix versions of ten while on tour?

how many days until we get our hands on this prize anyway?
    Demented and sad, but social
    Wrigley Earthcam/Hartford 2013
  • Options
    SN105475 wrote:
    its weird, the vocals sound like 91 ed and 2008 ed at different times, so im finding it very very hard to truly tell if the vocals are newly recorded....

I think that's it. The "little sister" bit sounds like '91 Ed, but most of the rest sounds much more recent.
  • Options
    JM55546JM55546 Posts: 129
    JM55546 wrote:

Link?

Porch:
    http://download.rbn.com/rstone/rstone/d ... -Porch.mp3

Brother:
    http://download.rbn.com/rstone/rstone/d ... rother.mp3

Yeah, i get that, I guess I'm missing the "ed said so himself" part. i get they are different takes.
  • Options
    ac224927 wrote:
    The Rough Mix version blows this new one away both in the lyrical and musical depts.

Perhaps it is remixed with the intention of EV being able to sing it in the upcoming tour. Also, will PJ play all the remix versions of ten while on tour?

how many days until we get our hands on this prize anyway?

I think it's remixed with the intention of being played on the radio. And I wouldn't be surprised if they did play it sometime next tour. But the remixed versions of Ten are the exact same performances that appear on the original Ten....it's just a much cleaner sound and you can hear things that were buried beneath the mix. So I'm sure the Ten songs will continue to evolve live because they always do...but I don't think this re-release will factor into it.
  • Options
    [/quote]

No, they were re-recorded. they put new vocals on some of those old songs, Ed said so himself.[/quote]

link to ed saying this himself???

tell me you think that he re-recorded Porch as well....
    MSG 1 + 2 - '03
    Boston Garden - '04
    Montreal - '05
    Mansfield 1 - '08
    (EV solo) Boston 1 - '08
    Chicago 1 - '09
    MSG -'10
    Brooklyn 1+2 - '13
    Central Park - '15
    MSG - '16
    Fenway - '16
    Wrigley - '16
    (RRHOF) Brooklyn - '17
    Fenway - '18
    MSG - '22
  • Options
    link to ed saying this himself???

tell me you think that he re-recorded Porch as well....

I think he knows that all the songs from Ten are the same masters as the orginal. There never was a master of Brother...just that rough mix that we've all heard before. I personally think the vocal is a re-recorded because there's a few lyric changes. Now, this vocal could be a recording that occured just after the demo tape, but by then you'd think they would have fully abandoned the song.
  • Options
    NewJPageNewJPage Posts: 3,304

see lost dogs for MANY other examples of ed re-recording his vocal track...[/quote]

its pretty funny how sure you are about it too...[/quote]

i'm pretty sure i am not. just because more than one take was done in a session does not mean that one of those takes sounds like ed 20 years in the future. i will say maybe, MAYBE, there is some sort of combination of the two vocal tracks, but this new version SCREAMS 2008 ed, because it is 2008 ed singing it (or maybe 2002 ed if it was recorded during the lost dogs sessions).

and please go listen to lost dogs, then the demo/leaked versions of those same songs, and tell me they are the same person in the same year singing them. it is very obvious it is not, especially on a song like alone. ed's voice has changed a ton over the years, so i don't know why this is so difficult to see/hear. i will admit that it sure sounds like modern ed is TRYING to sound like '91 ed in the take though
    6/26/98, 8/17/00, 10/8/00, 12/8/02, 12/9/02, 4/25/03, 5/28/03, 6/1/03, 6/3/03, 6/5/03, 6/6/03, 6/12/03, 6/13/03, 6/15/03, 6/18/03, 6/21/03, 6/22/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03, 10/3/04, 10/5/04, 9/9/05, 9/11/05, 9/16/05, 5/16/06, 5/17/06, 5/19/06, 6/30/06, 7/23/06, 8/5/07, 6/30/08, 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 5/4/10, 5/7/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/11/13, 10/17/14, 8/20/16
  • Options
    well yea, ok, in that time period though.. somebody thought ed just recently re-recorded the tracks..
    MSG 1 + 2 - '03
    Boston Garden - '04
    Montreal - '05
    Mansfield 1 - '08
    (EV solo) Boston 1 - '08
    Chicago 1 - '09
    MSG -'10
    Brooklyn 1+2 - '13
    Central Park - '15
    MSG - '16
    Fenway - '16
    Wrigley - '16
    (RRHOF) Brooklyn - '17
    Fenway - '18
    MSG - '22
  • Options
    NewJPage wrote:

its pretty funny how sure you are about it too...[/quote]

i'm pretty sure i am not. just because more than one take was done in a session does not mean that one of those takes sounds like ed 20 years in the future. i will say maybe, MAYBE, there is some sort of combination of the two vocal tracks, but this new version SCREAMS 2008 ed, because it is 2008 ed singing it (or maybe 2002 ed if it was recorded during the lost dogs sessions).

and please go listen to lost dogs, then the demo/leaked versions of those same songs, and tell me they are the same person in the same year singing them. it is very obvious it is not, especially on a song like alone. ed's voice has changed a ton over the years, so i don't know why this is so difficult to see/hear. i will admit that it sure sounds like modern ed is TRYING to sound like '91 ed in the take though[/quote]

no way dude, i can't agree with that... I think there are certain characteristics that YOU are missing or can't hear that are obviously things that ed did back then that he just doesn't do naturally today... someone back me up here...
    MSG 1 + 2 - '03
    Boston Garden - '04
    Montreal - '05
    Mansfield 1 - '08
    (EV solo) Boston 1 - '08
    Chicago 1 - '09
    MSG -'10
    Brooklyn 1+2 - '13
    Central Park - '15