Options

this Brother song...

Comments

• Options
    NewJPageNewJPage Posts: 3,304
    NewJPage wrote:

see lost dogs for MANY other examples of ed re-recording his vocal track...

um.. i think you are completely wrong about all of this dude... simply put, there are usually more than one take in one session and I could bet alot on the fact that they are NOT re-recorded on a later date.

its pretty funny how sure you are about it too...

i'm pretty sure i am not. just because more than one take was done in a session does not mean that one of those takes sounds like ed 20 years in the future. i will say maybe, MAYBE, there is some sort of combination of the two vocal tracks, but this new version SCREAMS 2008 ed, because it is 2008 ed singing it (or maybe 2002 ed if it was recorded during the lost dogs sessions).

and please go listen to lost dogs, then the demo/leaked versions of those same songs, and tell me they are the same person in the same year singing them. it is very obvious it is not, especially on a song like alone. ed's voice has changed a ton over the years, so i don't know why this is so difficult to see/hear. i will admit that it sure sounds like modern ed is TRYING to sound like '91 ed in the take though[/quote]

no way dude, i can't agree with that... I think there are certain characteristics that YOU are missing or can't hear that are obviously things that ed did back then that he just doesn't do naturally today... someone back me up here...[/quote]

no, no one back dreamweaver up!!! i don't want you to be wrong too!

i thought it was common knowledge at this point that ed re-recorded a lot of vocals for lost dogs, but evidently it is not. so now i am telling you...ed re-recorded a lot of his vocals for lost dogs :D

as for the new brother...the fact that this new vocal take is completely different from any we have heard, has different lyrics from any we have heard, and sounds completely different than any we have heard, makes me say he also re-recorded his vocals for it. maybe he did for the lost dogs sessions, but decided to leave it off. but either way, it is a recent recording of ed. any song recorded back in '91 has those DEEP bellowing baritone parts that are both not present in today's PJ, or in this version of brother. hense, new vocals. sorry!

your rebuttle...
    6/26/98, 8/17/00, 10/8/00, 12/8/02, 12/9/02, 4/25/03, 5/28/03, 6/1/03, 6/3/03, 6/5/03, 6/6/03, 6/12/03, 6/13/03, 6/15/03, 6/18/03, 6/21/03, 6/22/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03, 10/3/04, 10/5/04, 9/9/05, 9/11/05, 9/16/05, 5/16/06, 5/17/06, 5/19/06, 6/30/06, 7/23/06, 8/5/07, 6/30/08, 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 5/4/10, 5/7/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/11/13, 10/17/14, 8/20/16
  • Options
    I assume everyone went and listened to it here and not just off the radio right?
    https://www.pearljam.com/news/pearl-jam ... -album-ten

OK My thoughts:
    Considering I've been following this band since day 1 and collected every scrap of material there was only one version of Brother I ever heard and that was the rough mix. NOW, if you've ever seen the piles of tapes the band has horded and never tapped, I'm sure there could be an alternate take out there.

Listening to the track and very high end earphones here it sounds like Eddie recreating the song now. If there had been a usable vocal track like this I think it would have been on Lost Dogs. Why wouldn't they have done it then?

Who the heck thinks Eddie can't hit these notes now? Have you seen them tour or listened to a bootleg?

Where's the reaction to the Once remix?
    New screenname for the new site. At least for now. Previously Lackofdave
    Blogging at <a href="http://www.dadtherapy.com">Dad Therapy</a>
  • Options
    dreamweaverdreamweaver New York Posts: 716
    i have none.. youre right, youre all right...
    Meadowlands, MSG 1, MSG 2 - '98
    Jones Beach NY 1 + 3 - '00
    MSG 1 + 2 - '03
    Boston Garden - '04
    Montreal - '05
    Boston Garden 1, Meadowlands 1 + 2 - '06
    Mansfield 1 - '08
    (EV solo) Boston 1 - '08
    Chicago 1 - '09
    MSG -'10
    Brooklyn 1+2 - '13
    Central Park - '15
    MSG - '16
    Fenway - '16
    Wrigley - '16
    (RRHOF) Brooklyn - '17
    Fenway - '18
    MSG - '22
  • Options
    Ledbetterman1OLedbetterman1O Posts: 59
    edited February 2009
    I wish you fools ( NewJPage and dreamweaver) wouldn't mess up your quotes like that. I can't follow this shit. I don't even know who I'm agreeing with.

Either way, I think the vocal is not from the early '90s. I think it was re-recorded for Lost Dogs but Ed didn't like the vocal so that's why Mike put guitars over the backing track. And now they've brought it back because it belongs on this Ten reissue. But I totally think it's 2000's Eddie imitating '91 Eddie....like he did on Lost Dogs with Alone and Dirty Frank.
    Post edited by Ledbetterman1O on
  • Options
    NewJPage... wow dude, I just listened to it.. and I can hear it now. I apologize.. but I just can't believe it!
    where did eddie talk about this???
    MSG 1 + 2 - '03
    Boston Garden - '04
    Montreal - '05
    Mansfield 1 - '08
    (EV solo) Boston 1 - '08
    Chicago 1 - '09
    MSG -'10
    Brooklyn 1+2 - '13
    Central Park - '15
    MSG - '16
    Fenway - '16
    Wrigley - '16
    (RRHOF) Brooklyn - '17
    Fenway - '18
    MSG - '22
  • Options

i know. ;)
    6/26/98, 8/17/00, 10/8/00, 12/8/02, 12/9/02, 4/25/03, 5/28/03, 6/1/03, 6/3/03, 6/5/03, 6/6/03, 6/12/03, 6/13/03, 6/15/03, 6/18/03, 6/21/03, 6/22/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03, 10/3/04, 10/5/04, 9/9/05, 9/11/05, 9/16/05, 5/16/06, 5/17/06, 5/19/06, 6/30/06, 7/23/06, 8/5/07, 6/30/08, 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 5/4/10, 5/7/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/11/13, 10/17/14, 8/20/16
  • Options
    NewJPage... wow dude, I just listened to it.. and I can hear it now. I apologize.. but I just can't believe it!
    where did eddie talk about this???

talk about what??? and are you being sarcastic???
  • Options
    somebody said on this thread that eddie said so himself that he re-did the vocals...
    MSG 1 + 2 - '03
    Boston Garden - '04
    Montreal - '05
    Mansfield 1 - '08
    (EV solo) Boston 1 - '08
    Chicago 1 - '09
    MSG -'10
    Brooklyn 1+2 - '13
    Central Park - '15
    MSG - '16
    Fenway - '16
    Wrigley - '16
    (RRHOF) Brooklyn - '17
    Fenway - '18
    MSG - '22
  • Options
    somebody said on this thread that eddie said so himself that he re-did the vocals...

ahh...i do not know where that is from. sorry. :)
  • Options
    I like the instrumental version on LD. But I just heard the one they on their myspace and WOW!!!!
    :mrgreen: I can't stop listening to it.
    Are they going to post the lyrics on the 10C website or on the cd that's coming out? :?:
  • Options

I wasn't the one who said that, but if it means anything I could've sworn there was some sort of interview/article that came out around Lost Dogs where they talked a bit about this. I could definitely be wrong here though.

The one song off of Lost Dogs that definitely makes me think the vocals were redone is Drifting. I believe there is no way he sang this song like he did back when he first recorded it.

Edit: I should add, I meant the one song off of Lost Dogs that made me think select tracks appearing on Lost Dogs had the vocals redone was Drifting. I cannot tell about Brother though when I listen to it here: https://www.pearljam.com/news/pearl-jam ... -album-ten
  • Options
    kenny olavkenny olav Posts: 3,319
    I just listened to the '91 Brother and this new one with the recently recorded vocals. I like both of them, but the original one is so much more energetic. It's not just Eddie's vocals, it's the drums, the guitar, everything. Hard to tell what is new and what isn't. On this new one, it doesn't sound like Matt Cameron, it sounds like Dave Krusen. But it's definitely a different drum track from the original, at least in parts. Different guitar solo too - there's a kickass part in the '91 version where the drums play really fast for a second, when the guitar goes to the high notes. This new one doesn't have that. I want to post a link to the original on YouTube, but I feel like I might get banned for doing that... am I crazy? I don't know... it's easy to find on YouTube anyway :D.
  • Options
    kenny olavkenny olav Posts: 3,319
    one more thing... when I heard Brother on the radio today... all I could think was "why does this sound so fucked-up?"

this is after several years of being familiar with the original brother (I would say since '98).

i didn't immediately realize the vocals were new, but I could tell they were different, and that the other tracks were different. i can understand why Eddie wanted to change the lyrics, but the flow of the original was better, and he sang it with more freedom in his voice. i like how the middle part is more stretched out in the original, and that it returns to that mellow YLish part at the end rather than fading out during the rocking part.
  • Options
    zonapjzonapj Posts: 52
    IMO
    Brother
    Sounds like Alone,Wash and Dirty frank from lost dogs.
    Nowhere in the reissue does it say "orignal" tracks Girl, Goat, State of love and trust , Breath or Brother.

Who cares !
    IMHO- this is a re-record from the original- I think the word Faggot was used in the 91 version and Eddie wanted it out. Maybe I sounds a like nitpicky, but this is a vocal like the vocal from lost dogs.
    I'm a little disappointed, But, It's their band- they can do what they want!
  • Options
    KravenKraven Posts: 829

. But the remixed versions of Ten are the exact same performances that appear on the original Ten....it's just a much cleaner sound and you can hear things that were buried beneath the mix.

Thats not true, a remaster is what you are talking about, a remix is completely different, have you heard the remix of Alive? Completely different solo at the end, sounds a like in some places, not in others.
    32 shows and counting...
  • Options
    threefish10threefish10 Posts: 7,392
    i think the new version is slightly slower in tempo then the 91 version.

but yeah, it definitely has a different energy to the original.
    condescending and sarcastic since 1980
  • Options
    i think the new version is slightly slower in tempo then the 91 version.

but yeah, it definitely has a different energy to the original.

Yeah, it's slowed down and the energy and vocals sound way more like now versus back then to me but I have no clue and can only speculate. I would prefer a cleaned up version of the rough cut version but am glad to have this as well. :D
  • Options
    Niko80Niko80 Posts: 1,571
    I just found the radio sampler with brohter + some other songs.
    1. Brother
    2. Once (ten mix 08)
    3. Black Unplugged
    4. Porch unplugged
    5. Alive from drop in the park
    6. Solat from drop in the park.

Brother is tweaked alot! Not sure if I like it... I gotta listen some more, but I feel it has lost much of its attitude which made is so cool in the first place.
    Solat is sounding is AWSOME!!!!!
    Once sounds just like rearviewmirror.
    Unplugged is unplugged, awsome as always!
    I will swallow poison
  • Options
    This is definitely an old recording, using an alternate vocal tracking remixed and facelifted. It is definitely young, angry Ed, which is night and day from how we know the current Eddie Vedder. I am partial to the demo version of brother with different lyrics, a different arrangement-- especially in the breakdown. The demo version of the breakdown in the song is 10x better. The words are great in that version, as is when he actually sings them. I was always partial to the outro of the demo version of this song too, "Go home, turn on the fuckin tv..." it sums the song up nicely. This new version is a bit polished for my liking, but it's good. It's just not as good as the version I'm used to.
  • Options
    se7v7ense7v7en Philadelphia, PA Posts: 328

I think you may both be correct. I think the chorus is from an origional take. But the verse is rerecorded, maybe to change certain lyrics.
  • Options
    This is definitely an old recording, using an alternate vocal tracking remixed and facelifted. It is definitely young, angry Ed, which is night and day from how we know the current Eddie Vedder. I am partial to the demo version of brother with different lyrics, a different arrangement-- especially in the breakdown. The demo version of the breakdown in the song is 10x better. The words are great in that version, as is when he actually sings them. I was always partial to the outro of the demo version of this song too, "Go home, turn on the fuckin tv..." it sums the song up nicely. This new version is a bit polished for my liking, but it's good. It's just not as good as the version I'm used to.

After another listen, I'm thinking it might just be a re-record of his voice. Eddie trying to sound like 91 Eddie.

Old version still kicks its ass.
  • Options
    Another voice, another opinion..

Just listened to it on myspace. Most definitely an early Vedder vocal. I think he did redo some stuff on Lost Dogs (Alone for example) but not in this case.

Thought it sounded great...I think prefer the older breakdown with Mike's weeping guitar, but all in all great job.

Never really heard live Dave A before, but from the sounds of SOLAT he sounds more "Rock" than Matt Cameron possibly bordering on Metal. Its certainly energetic, but I'm not sure he's got the feel of Cameron.
    We'll see.
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,413
    Has it been decided if the vox were redone? I can see how people think he redone it, but I just think, as others have said, the newer equipment and techniques making his voice a bit newish.
  • Options
    DewieCox wrote:
    Has it been decided if the vox were redone? I can see how people think he redone it, but I just think, as others have said, the newer equipment and techniques making his voice a bit newish.

i think so too... who really knows at this point.. all suggestions are good imo
    MSG 1 + 2 - '03
    Boston Garden - '04
    Montreal - '05
    Mansfield 1 - '08
    (EV solo) Boston 1 - '08
    Chicago 1 - '09
    MSG -'10
    Brooklyn 1+2 - '13
    Central Park - '15
    MSG - '16
    Fenway - '16
    Wrigley - '16
    (RRHOF) Brooklyn - '17
    Fenway - '18
    MSG - '22
  • Options
    Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,490
    God, the new brother sucks compared to the ten demos/anything inbetween.

Either im not listening properly but i swear i don't hear the really nice "the birds dont even whisper".

Just feel the new version doesn't have the grovey, pacey kinda style. Also odd saying sister a lot in a song thats called brother, just so used to hearing brother!
  • Options
    the more i listen to this new version, the more i am convinced that either parts of or the whole vocal track was re-recorded during Lost Dogs....it just sounds more and more like muffled ed from riot act......
  • Options
    I BrisK I wrote:
    God, the new brother sucks compared to the ten demos/anything inbetween.

Either im not listening properly but i swear i don't hear the really nice "the birds dont even whisper".

Just feel the new version doesn't have the grovey, pacey kinda style. Also odd saying sister a lot in a song thats called brother, just so used to hearing brother!

I really miss the "birds don't even whisper." The whole breakdown in the new version of the song is crap compared to the old one.

I like the, "Ohhhh little sister, you and me can rise above"

I've always interpreted the song to be about "Big Brother," with the ending "I'm gonna go home, turn on that fuckin TV, watch a night of news, drink a beer, like I could change the world, yeah right-- fuck it." fit perfect. Guess it isn't all that great for radio!
  • Options
    I BrisK I wrote:
    I've always interpreted the song to be about "Big Brother," with the ending "I'm gonna go home, turn on that fuckin TV, watch a night of news, drink a beer, like I could change the world, yeah right-- fuck it." fit perfect. Guess it isn't all that great for radio!

I've always thought it was a "gay" song. "In the closet, my pleasures, 'cause my big brother won't let me be...."

Not, the most subtle lyric in the world, there.
    Rock me Jesus, roll me Lord...
    Wash me in the blood of Rock & Roll
  • Options
    mca47mca47 Posts: 13,260
    I just heard this version on the radio (never thought I'd hear Brother on the radio...but anyways) and while I like Brother, and it was cool to hear it, this version kinda sucks.
    The demos, and even the instrumental version are better IMO.

Oh, and no. That's not Ed's current voice. It's just heavily remastered from way back when.
  • Options
    CitizenRickCitizenRick Posts: 1,079
    I am just amazed by how many club members believe that this is a current Ed on vocals. No big deal...but I would bet any amount of money that this is just a "polished" old vocal track.

Ed can't sound like "old" Ed anymore...nor would he even try IMO. I Just think it's so very obvious that his vocals are from 1991. Maybe my ear is above average when it comes to these things. BTW...I do have a great ear....or so i've been told. :D
    "Had my eyes peeled both wide open, and I got a glimpse...of my innocense, got back my inner sence, baby got it...still got it"